dueling

dueling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

can we please….PLEASE have a dueling option already? i mean REALLY! its a basic standard in mmo games….its been a long time guys, dont skip out on a dueling system….its NOT that hard.

dueling

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’m glad it isn’t here, and I’d despise them for adding it. It adds nothing useful, and people can already pvp quite extensively.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

dueling

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

O% interest, adding something in just because other games have it is not valid with me whatsoever.

dueling

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

I’m glad it isn’t here, and I’d despise them for adding it. It adds nothing useful, and people can already pvp quite extensively.

Why would you despise them for adding something someone else wants. That would be like me despising them for adding a dungeon because I personally don’t like them.

dueling

naiasonod.9265

Why would you despise them for adding something someone else wants. That would be like me despising them for adding a dungeon because I personally don’t like them.

Not for adding something someone else wants. I’d despise them for adding something I regard as being one of the most hostile mechanics to exist in every MMO it exists in.

If they implement dueling, I want to see a swarm of unkillable guards dogpile anyone and everyone spamming duel challenges in cities.

Otherwise, go pvp. That’s why there’s spvp ad wvw – it keeps that drek the heck out of everywhere else.

dueling

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anet’s is playing it too safe to introduce a feature like dueling.
They wouldn’t dare even if it’s the simplest thing in the world, they are afraid people will get angry if they lose (it was one of the reason they gave when they added accidental dueling to Silverwaste).

dueling

naiasonod.9265

Anet’s is playing it too safe to introduce a feature like dueling.
They wouldn’t dare even if it’s the simplest thing in the world, they are afraid people will get angry if they lose.

Or maybe they recognize that its a common tool of harassment and a general distraction from the styles of PVP they’re actually invested in making an E-sport out of.

Because I seriously doubt they care if anyone’s sitting around feeling kitten about losing a duel.

dueling

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

No need and will only lead to trolling and annoyance. A dueling instance maybe but, not in open world.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

dueling

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

We have duelling in the form of Costume Brawl. Any other form of duelling in the PvE world – no thank you

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

dueling

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No thanks

The Burninator

dueling

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Invite the guy to PvP. In PvE no.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

dueling

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

I think that having a dueling spvp game type wouldn’t be too bad. In PvE maybe we could have dueling, if people want duels to incorporate what armor stat combinations they have.

Why is everyone against this? Ya’ll scared of a good buttwooping?

dueling

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Not for adding something someone else wants. I’d despise them for adding something I regard as being one of the most hostile mechanics to exist in every MMO it exists in.

If they implement dueling, I want to see a swarm of unkillable guards dogpile anyone and everyone spamming duel challenges in cities.

Otherwise, go pvp. That’s why there’s spvp ad wvw – it keeps that drek the heck out of everywhere else.

you know that they could add an arena for dueling into Spvp right? We have PvP area there anyway. The problem is that now somebody has to pay 2000 gems to Anet to keep a custom arena up for dueling where nothing stops people from going in, killing everyone and ruining everyones day.

dueling

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

just add a mode to pvp for duelling and done. Its not like the pvp guys would drown in modes and content anyways…give em something like this and you kill 2 flys with 1 slap.

dueling

naiasonod.9265

you know that they could add an arena for dueling into Spvp right? We have PvP area there anyway. The problem is that now somebody has to pay 2000 gems to Anet to keep a custom arena up for dueling where nothing stops people from going in, killing everyone and ruining everyones day.

So long as it isn’t something that can be spammed in the open PvE world, I’d give it a thumbs up. Its not the dueling part I’d like to set on fire and kick down however many flights of stairs it’d take to render it dead and unrecognizable – its how dueling mechanics can so easily be used as tools for harassment in myriad games.

dueling

Adry.7512

people hating on dueling because they dislike competitive games…..its NOT PK…plus we have PK in WVW…its dueling, therefore its quite simple; you dont like it….DONT do it. simple right? those who LIKE it, will do it, those that DONT wont do it….SUPER FRIENDLY FOR EVERYBODY!

dueling

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As long as it is consensual only and there is a default decline option that must be unchecked in order for one to receive duel requests.

dueling

Adry.7512

As long as it is consensual only and there is a default decline option that must be unchecked in order for one to receive duel requests.

exactly what i had in mind….yes cause obviously without that option we would have a spamfest of requests.

dueling

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Recently talked about by a dev. He said they want to add dueling, it’s just not a priority.

dueling

Mirta.5029

Recently talked about by a dev. He said they want to add dueling, it’s just not a priority.

so it’s not a priority for 2.5 years now? So it will be here never? Because it’s one of the features that people asked for since launch :I

dueling

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

so it’s not a priority for 2.5 years now? So it will be here never? Because it’s one of the features that people asked for since launch :I

And so are Guild Halls. Your point is?

dueling

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

oh look this thread again.

I’m sure it will be met with the same 6 people for the idea and the remainder against with nothing productive coming out of it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Common-Controversial-Forum-Topics/first

dueling

Mirta.5029

Ans so are Guild Halls. Your point is?

that’s exactly my points.

GvG
Guild Halls
Dueling…

For how many years can they “want” to implement something but it not be a priority? Would it not be just as good to say “it will be here never”?

dueling

Posted by: KyeXema.9370

KyeXema.9370

There should be a room for dueling, thats for sure, i like to test out my strength against my friends, when i saw there was no dueling system i was amazed. It is needed, as for people saying there would be spam, no not really, not if you go to a special place to do it. That’s what i think anyway.

dueling

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Make it a gem store item they have to buy, 1000 gems. If you don’t have it, you can’t duel. You have to have it in inventory and active to send or receive duel requests. Having it active gives you a visible dueling flag.

Have the item have a preset of some sort that sends the duel request to a person. If you ask someone to duel who doesn’t have the item active also, they won’t get the request.

dueling

Adry.7512

Make it a gem store item they have to buy, 1000 gems. If you don’t have it, you can’t duel. You have to have it in inventory and active to send or receive duel requests. Having it active gives you a visible dueling flag.

Have the item have a preset of some sort that sends the duel request to a person. If you ask someone to duel who doesn’t have the item active also, they won’t get the request.

Hahahahahaha, o they BETTER NOT do that hahahaha o noooo, that would be it for me.

dueling

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Hahahahahaha, o they BETTER NOT do that hahahaha o noooo, that would be it for me.

The thing is, there is a sizable number of people who are strongly against dueling and they’ve made their feelings known in multiple threads over the last 2 years. If ANet does ever bring in dueling then they need to keep these people’s objections in mind, which means it’s unlikely that dueling will ever be ingame in an easy to access manner. Imo, it’s going to be either PvP only, some sort of arena that the duelers will need to travel to or possibly a gem store item that limits dueling requests to only those who have that item.

People like you who want dueling need to suggest a way for it to be ingame that counters at least some of the other people’s objections to it.

dueling

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Open world dueling im for and option for people to auto decline if they are afraid from their skill lvl LOW LIKE majority of people ho are not for dueling here on forums
it will be really awesome for people while they kill time in LA or divinity to duel and have something fun to do

dueling

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Can we say that dueling only works in games with no semblance of balance?

Anet is actually trying to achieve some kinda of balance here… If you want dueling you can find a sandbox mmo with open world pvp and all of the other kinks you want.

Devona’s Rest

dueling

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Can we say that dueling only works in games with no semblance of balance?

Anet is actually trying to achieve some kinda of balance here… If you want dueling you can find a sandbox mmo with open world pvp and all of the other kinks you want.

ESO will add open world pvp in 2 weeks. It’s going to work with a bounty system of criminals and players taking the bounty called “justice system”, it will be entirely optional for players. While Anet is discarding such new game modes others are finding way to implement it.

dueling

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I’m all for open world dueling, I think a few limits to the introduction of dueling would benefit the majority of the playerbase.

1) Unable to duel within LA.
2) Option to opt out duel requests (pre checked on implementation) within the options menu.

I would also like to see duel request Starters (similar to Finishers) added to the gem store.

Anet seemed to be for it in 2013, but who knows? Fast forward 14:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU&feature=youtu.be&t=13m24s

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

dueling

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Hell no to open dueling!

It isn’t about being afraid of losing. It’s about being humiliated by players you decline to duel.

Turn down an invite, or have it set in the options to block invites, and someone who wants to duel you will start insulting you. Calling you a coward and other names I can’t repeat here without them being kittened. Usually players like this tend to hang in groups and they all join in on the fun of embarrassing you. And when other random players pass by, the jerks get them to join in on the teasing. Then you start getting PM’s from random players making fun of you for not wanting to duel.

And if you have the courage to accept their challenge, they are usually a few levels higher then you (or whatever the max level above yours that allows them to duel you) and decked out in the best gear possible. Then you lose in a duel but that doesn’t stop their harassment, in fact they do it even more.

And then there are those who set up bots to auto-challenge anyone who gets in range for the sole purpose of annoying as many people as possible.

All this kitten has happened to me in the past in other MMOs……MMOs I no longer play because of it.

In GW1 you could send a guest invite to your guild hall and issue a private challenge to the player. I’d be open to that if we ever get guild halls with GvG. But otherwise I’m completely against open world duel requests because it will eventually create a toxic environment and Anet will end up having to do something about it like the Coiled Watch farm and others. Otherwise, any kind of PvP should be taken to PvP arenas.

There’s something charming about rangers.

dueling

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

It amazes me how people want to shove PvP in the only mode of the game that doesn’t have it.
Keep your duels in the HotM. And if you want a mode that lets you keep all your gear and what-not, then ask for the devs to add it over there.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

dueling

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Remember, that what they were talking about was 1v1 pvp mode, not the PvE open world dueling. And they’ve been “thinking about adding it” since day one. Except they also keep admitting that the curent game is not made for 1v1 to ever be a valid option (classes are not balanced for 1v1).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

dueling

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

This past two months, I took a break on Guild Wars 2 to play Free trial WoW and Rift.

My experience so far, I sometime seem to be the one who initiate the duels. People seem to accept my duels, some don’t. I did not bash them for anything. We just duel and move on. People who do try to duel me, I accept. Sometimes I don’t, just to see how they react. In my surprise, they moved on. When I do win duels, they don’t shout harsh words at me. When I do lose, they don’t insult me. We simply say ‘gg’ or ‘good fight’ and then simply move on.

I don’t see any of these ‘hostilities’ anywhere in either games. Frankly, it is probably just a thing in the past.

If ANet ever implement dueling, it will be no more ‘toxic’ than beggars begging for gold in GW2.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

dueling

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

1v1 option in the Mists, sure.

Open world dueling, no thanks.

dueling

runeblade.7514

Hell no to open dueling!

It isn’t about being afraid of losing. It’s about being humiliated by players you decline to duel.

Turn down an invite, or have it set in the options to block invites, and someone who wants to duel you will start insulting you. Calling you a coward and other names I can’t repeat here without them being kittened. Usually players like this tend to hang in groups and they all join in on the fun of embarrassing you. And when other random players pass by, the jerks get them to join in on the teasing. Then you start getting PM’s from random players making fun of you for not wanting to duel.

And if you have the courage to accept their challenge, they are usually a few levels higher then you (or whatever the max level above yours that allows them to duel you) and decked out in the best gear possible. Then you lose in a duel but that doesn’t stop their harassment, in fact they do it even more.

And then there are those who set up bots to auto-challenge anyone who gets in range for the sole purpose of annoying as many people as possible.

All this kitten has happened to me in the past in other MMOs……MMOs I no longer play because of it.

In GW1 you could send a guest invite to your guild hall and issue a private challenge to the player. I’d be open to that if we ever get guild halls with GvG. But otherwise I’m completely against open world duel requests because it will eventually create a toxic environment and Anet will end up having to do something about it like the Coiled Watch farm and others. Otherwise, any kind of PvP should be taken to PvP arenas.

Can you tell me which MMO you played that has these hostilities? Currently playing Free trial WoW and Rift. So far, I don’t see any of these hostile duelers.

Tell me which MMO and I’ll give it a try to see if you are right.

dueling

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

I’m not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I last visited the Obsidian Sanctum, there were people right at the start, dueling. Others were standing by on the platforms, watching and waiting their turn. Why not go there and check it out?

Question to those for dueling: Does it have to be oben world or would a 1v1 sPVP mode be alright? Because, frankly, I don’t see the difference and would much prefer dueling to be kept away from PVE.

Lastly, a note to those who say that those opposed to dueling are afraid of losing, too chicken or whatever: For me, it’s people like you who make me despise dueling. Not only are you incapable of understanding what the problem is, you also set up people opposed to your idea as somehow weaker or having less worth – basically the start of all bullying -, just because they’re opposed to your idea.

dueling

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I hate duelling, but I think they should implement it. We just need to turn off duelling requests and that’s it. Everyone is happy.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

dueling

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Duel option?
Beware humans!
The time where we can finally call you noobs, because you lost in a duel is going to start!

Oh, and try to decline duel request, noobs!

L2p bads!

>:|

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

dueling

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Why would I want to duel people in PvE? I dont get it.

dueling

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

My experience so far, I always seem to be the one who initiate the duels.

If you are generally the initiating side, you are unlikely to get why lot of people don’t like duels. The problem simply doesn’t exist for you, personally.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

dueling

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

People like you who want dueling need to suggest a way for it to be ingame that counters at least some of the other people’s objections to it.

Afraid that Im going to have to disagree.

A customer making a request of a service provider doesnt need to suggest how the service provider can make other customers happy in my opinion.

dueling

runeblade.7514

My experience so far, I always seem to be the one who initiate the duels.

If you are generally the initiating side, you are unlikely to get why lot of people don’t like duels. The problem simply doesn’t exist for you, personally.

You ignored the rest of my post.

Maybe you should read it.

dueling

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Can you tell me which MMO you played that has these hostilities? Currently playing Free trial WoW and Rift. So far, I don’t see any of these hostile duelers.

My experience in WoW with duelers was similar but not quite as bad as charr’s. Anytime I’d run through Goldshire on my server, I’d usually be slammed with duel requests. At least a couple of times a week, I’d have some random kitten follow me around, spamming the duel request and PMing me when I’d decline. The language was never really hostile, but it was pretty darn irritating.

Oddly enough, this only happened in Goldshire. Anytime I’d be running around the giant duel area in front of Orgrimmar, I’d be left alone. But anyway, yeah. People can be and often are annoying little terrors.

dueling

runeblade.7514

My experience in WoW with duelers was similar but not quite as bad as charr’s. Anytime I’d run through Goldshire on my server, I’d usually be slammed with duel requests. At least a couple of times a week, I’d have some random kitten follow me around, spamming the duel request and PMing me when I’d decline. The language was never really hostile, but it was pretty darn irritating.

Oddly enough, this only happened in Goldshire. Anytime I’d be running around the giant duel area in front of Orgrimmar, I’d be left alone. But anyway, yeah. People can be and often are annoying little terrors.

Has this experience happened recently?

Currently, I am running around in Goldshire looking to see if someone is going to duel me. So far, no luck.

dueling

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Has this experience happened recently?

Currently, I am running around in Goldshire looking to see if someone is going to duel me. So far, no luck.

It was over the past year or two. I haven’t played in a couple of months, though. Keep in mind that different servers will have different populations of people in different areas.

dueling

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I prefer cooperative play over competitive so dueling doesn’t interest me. I don’t have any problem with it being added to the game as long as it doesn’t include the ability to “spam” me with requests incessantly. I would prefer it to be added to PvP or WvW or a brawl type of function that you must actively join as opposed to something that you happen upon in open world PvE.

dueling

Mirta.5029

I’m not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I last visited the Obsidian Sanctum, there were people right at the start, dueling. Others were standing by on the platforms, watching and waiting their turn. Why not go there and check it out?

people did manage to find ways to duel. The same way that people found ways to play asura ball in WvW. The problem is the instead of using game mechanics this system works on a honour system. There’s nothing stopping some silly people from forming a blob, going in there and wiping everyone out.

I would take instanced dueling over no dueling any day by the way.

dueling

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it is rather amusing how the majority of duelling proponents are displaying the very traits unpopular with people who don´t want to see duels in game: Ridiculing and teasing players who don´t want to partake as cowards, n00bs and the like. Well played, that really helps your cause…