dyes & colors in different lights

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

Hello, this is the thread where we’re gonna talk about wierd things happening to armor colors in different lights. Let me show you what i mean:

this is my SYLVARI GUARDIAN. his shoulders, helm and gloves looks gray in the light but it is colored white. the rest of the gear does not look gray in the light but is colored with the exact same dye..
Anyone else find it disturbing when colors change from what you acctualy coloured it?

Attachments:

Shinya.2598

like this, just horrible…

Attachments:

Posted by: picklock.4973

picklock.4973

i have an easy fix just go BLACK & YELLOW!!!!

(edited by picklock.4973)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

White is the most reflective color, if you are under a yellow light for example, white will without fail appear yellow equal to the saturation of the light source. This happens in real life too…

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

White is the most reflective color, if you are under a yellow light for example, white will without fail appear yellow equal to the saturation of the light source. This happens in real life too…

Problem is it’s not equally distributed among the armor and looks mismatched.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s because the colours and lighting react different depending on the material.

The parts you don’t like because they look grey are metal – whereas the rest is fabric. SO yes the fabric parts will look white and the metal will sometimes look more grey – but it’s not a bug or a problem. It’s just how it is.

Conncept.7638

It really shouldn’t be equally distributed, even if that would make it look cleaner. Why? There is always more than one light source. Even if there is only one literal ‘light’, there is always bounce light from everything in the environment. And it doesn’t just affect the light but also the shadow. In this situation, the overbearing ruddy brown from the environmental bounce is being applied over every surface, but to varying degrees depending on how much of their surface area faces the color.

You can actually significantly decrease it if you turn your post-processing off, but trust me when I say it won’t make it look better, but much worse.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

It really shouldn’t be equally distributed, even if that would make it look cleaner. Why? There is always more than one light source. Even if there is only one literal ‘light’, there is always bounce light from everything in the environment. And it doesn’t just affect the light but also the shadow. In this situation, the overbearing ruddy brown from the environmental bounce is being applied over every surface, but to varying degrees depending on how much of their surface area faces the color.

You can actually significantly decrease it if you turn your post-processing off, but trust me when I say it won’t make it look better, but much worse.

I think he meant that when you dye different parts of armor they don’t come out the same all the time. The plant part of his armor is lighter than the metal.

I believe this was intended though, so if you do dye all one color it would have variety and be easy to see what’s doing on.

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

Color Schemes go off of your character’s armor. Any tree based armor, IE Sylvari Cultural, TA, ETC, will have lighter based color table. That means that you will always be bright. The opposite for Arah, CoF, and osme others. Those ones will take your abyss and make it blacker than regular gear. Some pics for proof.

The First picture is TA top with celestial and arah pants with celestial. Notice the difference?
The 2nd is TA top again, with abyss and arah bottom with abyss. It’s harder to see, but it’s there.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

You do realize that the color takes into account where you are right? Colors don’t just remain bright under shade and different materials show color in a different way. The armor isn’t mysteriously changing color because it’s “bad” its changing color based on how metals and the color white act under light source. It would look terrible if the colors never changed, regardless where you stood.

Shinya.2598

Yes, it’s all in one colour and which ever colour i choose,the plate will be darker. I know it’s different material and all but that’s just horrible. If i wanna be dyed white, you should be able to tell i’m white even at night

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I think the bigger problem is that your armor looks like it’s made of cheap plastic.

Posted by: Luke.4562

Luke.4562

So called Shading. For both the model and the rendering engine they’re different materials and act differently to shadow and light.
The metallic parts looks white in light because they have an high reflective index to simulate the polished metal, while your salad armor is glossy and behave like plastic.

By changing the color you’re actually only modifying the gradient saturation of the base texture.

I noticed there are many colours behaving differently on different type of armors (metals, tissues or plastics), try a lighter color for those metallic parts, you can’t do anything else..

No wait, you can still raise your Gamma to the point the light burns every color to white :P

ALPHA, BETA, several months, … 1 Year later…“When it’s ready”[cit.]

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Salad armor is, because it grows out of a Sylvari’s skin, linked to the way that skin renders shading and light (they are less affected by these than any armor). So, when in strong light and when dyed very pale, it will reflect very differently than other armor will. If you want to mix and match, you will have to go darker and accept some variability.

This is not intended to be a bug, so much as any plant armor reacts to light the way a sylvari’s skin would because both are made of leaves. This even affects when other races wear TA armor, as it is still armor grown by sylvari.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The character preview screen has generic lighting.
Each zone has different lighting settings.

The result is colors vary slightly from zone to zone.

Tbh I dont think that is nearly as bad as poor color mixing across different sets of armor. Profane armor for example often has completely different colors than what you choose and what is applied on other armor pieces. Black? Ha! Its brown. kittening brown.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

For me it seems like AN’s employees are bad at shadering.

• Everything looks plastic. No feel of materials at all… (GW1 was good at it tho!)
  • Same dyes looks completely different in other armors.
  • Midnight Ice/Fire sometimes darker than Abyss
  • Abyss glows white in sunshine…

P.s.: No, I can’t do it better either.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Conncept.7638

I think he meant that when you dye different parts of armor they don’t come out the same all the time. The plant part of his armor is lighter than the metal.

I believe this was intended though, so if you do dye all one color it would have variety and be easy to see what’s doing on.

Ohhh… now I see. Materials are programmed with several attributes like eccentricity, reflectivity, spectral roll-off, etc that the light sources use to calculate how the light is absorbed and reflected. Unfortunately there isn’t really any option that will affect that without severely lowering the graphics, except not using two different materials in an armor set.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Apart from my opinion, which is all the shaders looks very plastic & nearly nothing feels real,-
I think the Dye’s script should be adjusted to multiple kind of pieces to stay it being the same. So where the single line of dye’s script says 10 10 10 for Abyss, if the armor piece has metal shine (or something like that… its wet IMO), then it could be 5 5 6.
For example, my warrior’s leggings would be as black as the other parts, not grey…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”