dynamic events --> step backwards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I keep it short and simple: The focus on dynamic meta events instead of shorter dynamic event chains makes maps feel empty.

Let me explain:

When I explore Queensdale I never know what happens in a lot of areas. Bandits could raid the farm, there could be a worm-invasion or even a worm queen might appear. You are encouraged to explore because tons of events can happen at any given time.

Now when I’m in one of the new maps it’s all about pushing a meta to the end. Exploring rarely has any surprise events popping up. Masteries also seem to be quite shallow, I haven’t seen a new event started by any of the masteries.

In short: When I’ve done the meta, I feel like I’ve seen it all. I rarely had that experience in the classic maps. I hope the living story brings more depth into the HoT-maps (because the maps itself are the best I’ve seen in any rpg/mmo-game I’ve played so far)

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

I think we need both types of maps.

Random Dynamic events mean it is possible to go for a while without one. I remember before the megaservers loving the apps that let me know when DE were about to start or ongoing because sometimes, especially when you have a fully explored map, you don’t have too much to do.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I hope the living story brings more depth into the HoT-maps (because the maps itself are the best I’ve seen in any rpg/mmo-game I’ve played so far)

Living story is dead since we finished Scarlet. LS2 is just a bunch of instances that don’t
change anything (beside some very small changed) in the open world.

Its more a dead story .. but people wanted it so it seems since they don’t liked the
temporary character that made the world more alive in LS1.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

I hope the living story brings more depth into the HoT-maps (because the maps itself are the best I’ve seen in any rpg/mmo-game I’ve played so far)

Living story is dead since we finished Scarlet. LS2 is just a bunch of instances that don’t
change anything (beside some very small changed) in the open world.

Its more a dead story .. but people wanted it so it seems since they don’t liked the
temporary character that made the world more alive in LS1.

Yep, living world/story was going to be about little updates every week or two. Maybe that became unsustainable? Not sure… but replacing that by adding maps that loop map-wide metas indefinitely… is a population magnet, but not a great change. We’ve defeated the dragon about two hundred times, but it still manages to lock us out of half of Dragon’s Reach every two hours. At least the first dragon was part of a dungeon story.

Other metas just become kind of like robotic farming events (Silverwastes), which to be honest I thought Anet was cutting out when it nerfed dungeon rewards, hah.

But the main issue is that maps like that continue. It makes sense on Dry Top, because it’s mostly related to the sandstorm-prone landscape… but Silverwastes should be pretty well fortified by now, what with several thousand heroes living in Verdant Brink.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

Wish I would have been around for the LS because I do not enjoy the meta events and mastery grind.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Wish I would have been around for the LS because I do not enjoy the meta events and mastery grind.

To be fair, mastery grind isn’t really LS content. It’s expansion content provided as long-term progression that (hopefully) will be of use in later patches/maps/updates. (Gliding especially.)

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Long gone are the days when there was new free content every 2 weeks.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think we need both types of maps.

Random Dynamic events mean it is possible to go for a while without one. I remember before the megaservers loving the apps that let me know when DE were about to start or ongoing because sometimes, especially when you have a fully explored map, you don’t have too much to do.

Or like core Tyria maps with world bosses: there’s small individual events, small event chains, various longer chains, and then a bigger meta event. People converge on Frostgorge for the Claw, but some also come for the Coil chain.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

I keep it short and simple: The focus on dynamic meta events instead of shorter dynamic event chains makes maps feel empty.

Let me explain:

When I explore Queensdale I never know what happens in a lot of areas. Bandits could raid the farm, there could be a worm-invasion or even a worm queen might appear. You are encouraged to explore because tons of events can happen at any given time.

Now when I’m in one of the new maps it’s all about pushing a meta to the end. Exploring rarely has any surprise events popping up. Masteries also seem to be quite shallow, I haven’t seen a new event started by any of the masteries.

In short: When I’ve done the meta, I feel like I’ve seen it all. I rarely had that experience in the classic maps. I hope the living story brings more depth into the HoT-maps (because the maps itself are the best I’ve seen in any rpg/mmo-game I’ve played so far)

Absolutely. There is ONE thing to do in each map and that’s pretty much it.

Yawn zerg city of boredom.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"