engies and their lack of melee

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I’ve been wondering about this since release but…
How come engies are the only class that has no melee at all ?
that is a bit odd.

If you can have a stinking ranger using a greatsword surely an
engie can at the very least use a sword or something akin to that.
let’s call it a technoblade.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Engies have the wrench from their tool kit that’s actually quite effective.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Two words: Ham… mer

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

My ranger doesn’t stink and my Engineer has a melee kit. Are you sure we are playing the same game?

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Always knew tool kit was ranged

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

It’s effective on single targets. The last hit on #1 is still single-target, and it’s the most damaging hit. #3 is single-target, and #5 is also single-target. Not only this, but that requires Engineers sacrificing a Utility slot in order to have access to melee capabilities, whereas having a weapon for it would let them use all 3 slots.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

It’s effective on single targets. The last hit on #1 is still single-target, and it’s the most damaging hit. #3 is single-target, and #5 is also single-target. Not only this, but that requires Engineers sacrificing a Utility slot in order to have access to melee capabilities, whereas having a weapon for it would let them use all 3 slots.

And Rangers have to use one of their two weapons to get a Greatsword out instead of using say, a Shortbow or a Longbow, thus reducing their ranged damage.

AlietteFaye.7316

And Rangers have to use one of their two weapons to get a Greatsword out instead of using say, a Shortbow or a Longbow, thus reducing their ranged damage.

That’s why you get two weapons, though. Engineers don’t have that luxury of having a swap without using up a utility slot. Also, this thread is not about Rangers. It’s about having a melee weapon on Engineer.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Bombs/tool kit/PBAOE grenades.
That’s as close to melee as we got.

I used to suggest that engi get dual shield. Think of the awesomeness.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Flamethrower is about as melee as I want to get on my Engi

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

So i just finished The Last of Us and i loved spamming bricks on all enemies, give me a brick to melee on an engi!

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

I’d love so much if Engies could get Mace and/or Hammer addition.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Bomb kit is also a melee range weapon and a very very effective one.

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Bombs/tool kit/PBAOE grenades.
That’s as close to melee as we got.

COD style riot shield anyone? think of the trolling potential :p

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

As said above by a few people Engies have atleast 3 melee capable weapons:

Toolkit
bombkit

and even tho the flamethrower has a range of 400-ish it is pretty much a melee weapon with a nice bonus of a little bit of range. Most classes if you really look at them have a very good melee weapon which has a good aoe or arc attack area. For Engi’s it is the bombkit and Flamethrower so we are actually not bad off at all.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Necros have no melee that cleaves.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Bomb Kit is amazing melee weapon in PvE

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Bombs is the most melee you can get, they have zero ranged skills.
Toolkit is melee
Flamethrower is only 425 range for most of its abilities, may as well be melee.

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

Some people claim the flamethrower is a good melee weapon….and I sort of disagree. The flamethrower is really good only for targets at “just beyond” melee range. If you try to use it on enemies right in your face you will see that you get lots and lots of “miss” indicators. I think these limitations were intentionally designed into the flamethrower because it would be massively OP if they weren’t.

I have used engineer a lot, and for melee I have settled on using grenades thrown down right at my feet. Reasonably effective, but there is no doubt the engineer is best as a ranged player.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Engineer melee weapon is the toolkit and the bomb kit :p

Bomb kit autoattack is one of the strongest autoattacks in the game for DPS if I’m not mistaken.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

As I recall, the ele doesn’t have melee, either. You’re taking advantage of the 300-400 range on dagger mainhand, but really you aren’t up and personal. That and guardians have almost no range (scepter is a joke).

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Necros have no melee that cleaves.

And i’d like to have that fixed too.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Always knew tool kit was ranged

+1

Also flamethrower is pseudo-melee.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Bah, bomb the livin’ daylight out of ’em.

Gotta love a profession that has no qualm with dropping a big keg of gunpowder at his feet with a lit fuse, again and again and again.

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Still, those are all kits, and we have to spend utilities for those.
But as a matter of fact, there is no melee main weapon.
I would say, they could put a mace for that purpose.
And maybe making it so it can somehow buff turrets, along with other effects (like, having a lighting field on skill 3 that damages enemies and puts turrets in the field on overcharge).

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Bombs, Flamethrower, and Tool-Kit. Most of Rifle’s abilities are close-range based as well.

I’ve actually read most engineer complaints are about the lack of viable RANGED options, and not melee. Nades are a pain to target, Pistol autoattack is a joke, Elixir Gun is condition-based, and rifle autoattack just doesn’t do much special.

Also, who actually runs an engineer in serious PvE play without a kit?

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

I don’t, but there’s some serious rifle builds out there.

If there’s one good thing to say, it’s that engies are maybe the only class with more than 2 viable builds.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

And maybe making it so it can somehow buff turrets, along with other effects (like, having a lighting field on skill 3 that damages enemies and puts turrets in the field on overcharge).

Which is why each also has an associated toolbelt skill …

Posted by: Generator Gawl.5142

Generator Gawl.5142

They should let us slot our kits in place of our weapons so we can free up utility slots. A lot, if not most, engies use kits in place of weapons so why not let us slot them like weapons and maybe be able to swap between two like other classes.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

As I recall, the ele doesn’t have melee, either. You’re taking advantage of the 300-400 range on dagger mainhand, but really you aren’t up and personal. That and guardians have almost no range (scepter is a joke).

Most dagger skills for the ele are around 300 range with a few exceptions. The shortest range is updraft which is 180 range. After that the second shortest range is 240. iirc for actual melee on other classes the range is usually ~120.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Bombs, Flamethrower, and Tool-Kit. Most of Rifle’s abilities are close-range based as well.

I’ve actually read most engineer complaints are about the lack of viable RANGED options, and not melee. Nades are a pain to target, Pistol autoattack is a joke, Elixir Gun is condition-based, and rifle autoattack just doesn’t do much special.

Pve is so face roll that yes I didn’t use a kit until WvW. Turrets even work in Pve if you know what you are doing.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

that is a bit odd.

They should let us slot our kits in place of our weapons so we can free up utility slots. A lot, if not most, engies use kits in place of weapons so why not let us slot them like weapons and maybe be able to swap between two like other classes.

Just stop it.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

This is one of those instances when I’m going to have to disagree with you completely. Not so much that tool kit isn’t effective, but rather that it is an acceptable sole form of melee for the profession. If you want to play a melee engineer you are basically forced to play a kit focused engineer to maximize the effectiveness of tool kit, or a turret engineer so you don’t waste a major function of the skills that they are balanced for. Either way, at the very least, you find yourself sacrificing a utility slot so you can play melee.

What if I want a melee engineer with three elixirs? Or three gadgets? Currently this is impossible. I can’t have a melee weapon, Rocket Boots, Slick Shoes, and Battering Ram if I want to. And that is a problem. The engineer is the only profession that has to give up a utility slot to play at a different range. And honestly, you’re telling me that it is okay for a Mesmer to have both a sword and a greatsword but engineers can’t get at least a mace?

AlietteFaye.7316

that is a bit odd.

Just stop it.

Stop explaining how a kit doesn’t actually suffice as a melee weapon for an Engineer? We’re just telling people that don’t really seem to actually have experience playing on an Engineer.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Which is why each also has an associated toolbelt skill …

…that for half of them can’t even be compared with a real utility. I mean, throw wrench? incendiary ammo? Healing mist was buffed with the last patch, else it would have been like the ones mentioned above.

Also, we already pay a price for kits, that is

They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons.

(from the 14th december update notes)

Even if we aren’t using a single kit, our weapons are nerfed because we have the chance to do so. And on top of it, we must spend utilities for something we’ve already paid for.

Anyway, here we were talking about main hand weapons. I don’t care if there are kits too. We must spend utilities to get those. And the rifle still counts as a projectile weapon.
There should just be the choice of a main, melee weapon. Like every other single class.

(edited by Manuhell.2759)

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I would play any character with dual shields, even if they were useless.

On the original post: the toolkit has a melee auto and one other melee skill, and it’s a good PvP kit, but it’s completely different from melee weaponsets of other professions.

Bomb kit is used in melee range, but is again very different.

Engineers are extremely effective in melee range. They just don’t have a melee weaponset. This subtle difference often confuses the unintellig—I mean non-engineers.

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

If well traited out for firearms, Engineer is deadly with a rifle. Mine has 58% crit, and crits with a rifle are typically 1500-2000 damage each shot. I think that is pretty good for a ranged attack. Combined with the net shot and rifle knockback, you can usually keep enemies at range until they are either dead or nearly dead. Of course this is useless for mobs….but then we have nades or the flamethrower….

I think engineers are consistently under-rated.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

^Engineers are under-rated.^
I use pistols with grenades and Flamethrower but still..

I sort of understand the argument of the OP but as an Engineer I simply just don’t see the need for a melee main hand weapon.

I also have bit of trouble thinking what weapon would suit the Engi image.
A mace just would not do it for me.
After Flamethrower to the face, everything else seems a bit lacklustre.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Furikake.4052

Furikake.4052

Damage output aside, the bombs and grenades (aimed at your own feet) are the best melee weapons for kiting in the game (same with all GTAoE and PBAoE skills).

What melee weapons other than those 2 can keep hitting the things behind you constantly?

Since forward speed is faster than strafing speed, just go foward in a circle while dropping bombs or nades at your feet, and then all champion class, melee-only mobs will die easily, while you take 0 damage (except for the abominations). No switfness, cripples, chills, immobilizatios, or dodging are required at all.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree toolkit is quite gimpt.

I dunno about the rest of you but those wouldn’t be my first choices for melee weapons or skills on the toolkit. I’d have a chainsaw a drill and a nailgun for starters.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Stop explaining how a kit doesn’t actually suffice as a melee weapon for an Engineer? We’re just telling people that don’t really seem to actually have experience playing on an Engineer.

Stop with all your dribble. Things like this:

I agree toolkit is quite gimpt.

I dunno about the rest of you but those wouldn’t be my first choices for melee weapons or skills on the toolkit. I’d have a chainsaw a drill and a nailgun for starters.

Make all Engineers look foolish.

I’ve been here since BETA3 and played Engineer more than 3/4 of my total play time. The Toolkit is a good melee weapon. It is very effective at keeping enemies in melee range due to Power Wrench trait in the Master Tools traitline and a 20 second pull at 1200 range. It’s auto-attack is VERY strong and it’s burst skill Prybar, does a ton of damage not including the added 5 stacks of Confusion.

If you’re not digging the Toolkit, you can opt in for the Bomb Kit, which is a melee range only kit which offers excellent AoE DPS. It hits 5 enemies around you and offers decent control options with Glue Bomb and Smoke Bomb. Sure, you’re not smacking the enemy directly, but that gives you the option of hitting more enemies with strategic positioning, which is always a positive. Not every profession has a “melee” option either; look at Elementalist set of skills.

We’re not going to put our Kits as a weapon slot option ever. We don’t loose out on Utility anymore, since we do have a Stun Breaker on a kit. We’re not going to be getting a new weapon set anytime soon; and why would we anyhow? What use could it be used for? Condition damage on the Pistols, direct damage with the rifle with lots of battlefield control, and the shield for added defensive cooldowns. The only possible new weapons I could see Engineers using are Torch, Hammer, and Mace.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Mainhand shield with offhand Pistol would be crazy :p Though to OP toolkit rocks your face, and then confuses it.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com