Concerning F1-F4 abilities…

• Ele – instant attunement swap
  • Engineer – instant cast toolbelt skills
  • Guardian – Instant buffs/heals
  • Mesmer – Instant shatters
  • Necro – Instant health bar
  • Thief – Instant Steal
  • Warrior – Instant Burst

These are all the classes F1-F4 abilities, and they’re ALL INSTANT CAST as they should be, very balanced overall don’t you all think?

Wait, what’s that? I forgot a class? OHHHHH that’s right. The Ranger…here

• Ranger – pet paths to target, pet roots, pet begins 2 second cast.

There. I think I covered it all now. Still think it’s balanced? 7 months without a fix to this obvious imbalance rangers have…how nice it is to be ignored.

(edited by No Walking.6349)

f1-f4 Ability Obvious and Ignored Imbalance

in Ranger

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The pet itself is your class ability. ;/ Nonstop autodamage is as instant as you can get.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Ranger

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

i wanna see a mess instant shattering tho >>
or a war instant bursting,
or ele instant attunement swapping
last i checked those all have build up time or need to be close in the case of ele its their wep swap

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

in Ranger

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

It’s nice to see it like that. The Ranger profession mechanic is severely lacking, feels unresponsive, and certainly requires more planning for your pay off.

On the other hand:
Ele – Pets die in AoE, don’t last.
Engineer – Turrets cannot move
Guardian – Spirit weapons are squishy, die when used, do not last
Mesmer – all pets die on mob death instantly
Necro – minions stick around, and can be buffed, but are fairly squishy and have limited uses.
Thief – has no pets, save for the odd Trap or Eliete, very short duration
Warrior – no pets what so ever. Have to make multiple trips if you are using banners by yourself.

Ranger pets last forever and you can keep them healed with yourself.
While I agree their profession mechanic needs to be updated, there is some measure of balance among the classes here.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Umm f2 on ranger pets are VERY powerful for most pets (admit the pigs are not that great in most builds).

Rangers are 100% fine with this regard. They need better traits

in Ranger

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

last i checked those all have build up time or need to be close in the case of ele its their wep swap

Mesmer’s shatters are instant once clones get to target, every play a mesmer?
Warrior’s f1’s are instant besides rifle, ever play a warrior?
Ele’s attunement swaps are instant, ever play an ele?

in Ranger

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Mes shatters are instant, every play a mesmer?
Warr f1’s are instant besides rifle, ever play a warrior?
Attunement swaps are instant, ever play an ele?

Funny, I’m pretty sure those mesmer clones need to run to their target before they shatter. At least for Mind Wrack and a couple others.

in Ranger

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Special ability is always active, draws aggro/meat shield that also does damage. Yeah there are bugfixes and improvements pending with this and other classes, but it’s a different ability, not a worse one.

My first and so far only max level toon is a ranger. I find the pet to be a lot more useful than, say a thief’s steal ability.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Ranger

infrequentia.3465

actually i do
mes shatters needs a clone and then those clones WALK to the target before shattering thats 2-3 secs right there
a war needs to hit a few time first befor he has a charge on finish and then he can use it
a ele’s swap are more like weapon swap and not compareable with all other skills

in Ranger

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I think he means…

Mesmer build up = creating the clones/illusions/phantasms
Warrior = gaining the adrenaline
Ele’s = do not have a weapon swap, also switching attunements gives a cool-down on the other attunements briefly.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

Funny, I’m pretty sure those mesmer clones need to run to their target before they shatter. At least for Mind Wrack and a couple others.

Do clones run up to target, then take 2 seconds to shatter once they get there? Because if they don’t then you shouldn’t compare it to ranger’s F abilities. I would love it if my pet ran up to the target then instantly cast their abilities.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Do clones run up to target, then take 2 seconds to shatter once they get there? Because if they don’t then you shouldn’t compare it to ranger’s F abilities. I would love it if my pet ran up to the target then instantly cast their abilities.

And then instantly explode?

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

I think he means…

Mesmer build up = creating the clones/illusions/phantasms
Warrior = gaining the adrenaline
Ele’s = do not have a weapon swap, also switching attunements gives a cool-down on the other attunements briefly.

And rangers have CDs on their pet swap, and CDs on the pet ability…that’s the same for all classes, I’m talking about the CAST TIME once the ability is ready. Rangers are so far behind all the other classes’ F abilities it’s sad.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

If I got to summon another pet in half a second like mesmers summon other clones, then yes… it would be a buff.

in Ranger

infrequentia.3465

still funny how he is comparing class mechanics and still hasn’t figured out the ranger gets a 2nd auto attack for freeeeeee

in Ranger

infrequentia.3465

If I got to summon another pet in half a second like mesmers summon other clones, then yes… it would be a buff.

ye cause we can totally do that.
not really theres cd’s on that and there not 1.2 secs

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

still funny how he is comparing class mechanics and still hasn’t figured out the ranger gets a 2nd auto attack for freeeeeee

An auto attack that isn’t even useful in WvW and sPvP because the pet never paths to the target correctly unless they’re rooted or crippled. Still nowhere near being as useful as ALL the other classes F abilities.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kryen Lavitt.6051

Kryen Lavitt.6051

These are all the classes F1-F4 abilities, and they’re ALL INSTANT CAST as they should be, very balanced overall don’t you all think?

There. I think I covered it all now. Still think it’s balanced? 7 months without a fix to this obvious imbalance rangers have…how nice it is to be ignored.

Please teach me MASTA how to instant cast my Bandage Self!

/fail

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

/fail

Bandage self is one of the MANY different tool belt abilities you get, most of which are instant cast…EVERY one of our pet abilities has a huge pet pathing/cast time besides jaguire which is useless anyways

in Ranger

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Do not forget that the necromancer ability come with the price of being locked into 4 skills (that do not change depending on weapon or utilities equipped) for the duration, and that said health bar bleeds about 4 percent pr second on top of whatever damage he takes.

This while sharing the requirement of having to build it up just like warrior adrenaline or mesmer clones.

Elementalists are locked out of the old element for a period on switch (Starting at 15 seconds, dropping with points spent in a trait line. This is why most elementalist builds have 30 points in arcana).

Guardian abilities behave like sigils. periodic effects with a linked trigger effect that locks out both triggered and periodic effect until recharged.

in Ranger

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

/fail

Bandage self is one of the MANY different tool belt abilities you get, most of which are instant cast…EVERY one of our pet abilities has a huge pet pathing/cast time besides jaguire which is useless anyways

When did instant become 1 second?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bandage_Self

in Ranger

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Jaguar is useless? From stealth all attacks are crits…You sure you play a Ranger? Plus the ranged pets don’t have to “path to target”. I play a warrior, ele, and ranger all max level, and I find my pets to be very useful in any number of situations, with their skills able to cover weaknesses I may have in my build or things I may only need as a one off. I would say this is a l2p thing, but I’m sure someone will cover that.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

Jaguar is useless? From stealth all attacks are crits…You sure you play a Ranger? Plus the ranged pets don’t have to “path to target”. I play a warrior, ele, and ranger all max level, and I find my pets to be very useful in any number of situations, with their skills able to cover weaknesses I may have in my build or things I may only need as a one off. I would say this is a l2p thing, but I’m sure someone will cover that.

Oh ok, so my cat can crit when it’s stealthed, too bad the pathing issues will cause him to hit the target like once.

And you’re saying I should be restricted to ranged pets just to be able to play good? Ranged pets projectiles get stopped by other enemies/clones/pets/summons 90% of the time anyways because their hits don’t penetrate enemies as ours do (only when specced). Still not a fix to this issue.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

/fail

And again, this is a heal…and it’s the medkit toolbelt skill. Don’t like it then switch to the other healing abilities which DO give an instant heal through regen. Most engineer F abilities are instant, wish rangers could say the same.

in Ranger

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Oh ok, so my cat can crit when it’s stealthed, too bad the pathing issues will cause him to hit the target like once.

And you’re saying I should be restricted to ranged pets just to be able to play good? Ranged pets projectiles get stopped by other enemies/clones/pets/summons 90% of the time anyways because their hits don’t penetrate enemies as ours do (only when specced). Still not a fix to this issue.

I am not saying you should or should not do anything, just setting some things you incorrectly stated straight. Be happy, be unhappy, rage, make daisy chains. All the same to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

Elementalist attunement swapping is a HINDRANCE, not something you should be using as an argument for why Eles are better than Rangers.

Each attunement for an Ele is incomplete, and therefore Elementalists need to attunement swap frequently to get a full range of abilities which other professions can get with just their standard weapon swap. Arguably, this means that Elementalists don’t really have a class bar, since they use their class bar where other classes just use weapon swap.

Professions are balanced against each other as a whole, not just individual components. Or did you forget that Rangers get an extra set of weapon swaps (effectively what you get by swapping pets), a source of misdirection and tanking, and a permanent pet which does significant autoattack damage – oh, and can also independently throw down its own combo fields (depending on pet)?

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

Elementalist attunement swapping is a HINDRANCE, not something you should be using as an argument for why Eles are better than Rangers.

Your F bar gives you 4 wep sets rather than 2…….did an Ele srsly just say they’re underpowered? Um staff eles in WvW? DD eles in PvP?

No, 4 wep sets is a great buff to you guys, and STILL not comparable to the lvl of fail that pet abilities is.

in Ranger

Posted by: TankAnyone.5370

TankAnyone.5370

We have forty F abilities (on land), just counting the F2. Now each of those pets also has its own three attacks which can:

Inflict a variety of conditions:
Poison
Bleeding
Cripple
Vulnerability
Immobilize
Weakness

Effect our Allies:
Regen
Protection
Swiftness
Might

Act as Combo Finishers:
Leap
Blast
Physical Projectile

Combo Field:
Poison

Miscellaneous:
Knockdown
Stun
Daze

That’s just from the pets I have unlocked. Oh yeah, we can take all these with us anywhere, just have to swap in between fights.

Also, with only 5 trait points, we get a pretty significant DPS boost on pet switch for 2 seconds.

Your pet only has to survive 20 seconds. Learn that you have an F3. Sure, some things can one-shot pets, but the loss is not that big of a deal, your pet will live to fight another day.

Now, the delay on a pet using an F2 is meaningless. Only things that’ll die before you can get it off are white mobs…. and they’re white mobs so who cares. Can mobs avoid it, sure. If that bothers you, think more of when you’re going to use it. If you mess up and use the ability at the wrong time, it’ll miss. Same kind of thing happens with players. I’ve popped RaO, SotW, and QZ, just to have my enemy run behind a wall. Should they stop enemy movement? No, I should pay attention to angles more to avoid that situation. Or what about when a character uses a melee attack as an enemy moves out of range? Or I pop Rapid Fire in WvW from the walls and the guy runs before he gets hit?

Pets are not an instant win button, you have to adapt to fight with them, and every pet is going to be a little different.

Rangers are given more possibilities in their F abilities than any other class. Because of that, we also have more to learn if we want to use them to their fullest. Realize that no pet setup will be ideal for every situation and experiment to find when and where to use what.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

Now, the delay on a pet using an F2 is meaningless.

Stopped reading here, you obviously don’t PvP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

the ranger doesnt get a 2nd autoattack for free, he pays for it with his own autoattack damage, for which the coefficients are lower then for other classes . Just puttin it out there

in Ranger

TankAnyone.5370

Now, the delay on a pet using an F2 is meaningless.

Stopped reading here, you obviously don’t PvP.

Obviously not (besides WvW), because everything I said after that statement was obviously concerning PvE. I can’t comment on sPvP, but I can see where some pets would be near useless in PvP.

I doubt we’ll see pets become useful in sPvP, even with a fix to F2 timing. It’s just too complicated of a mechanic to keep balanced in PvP and PvE.

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

I doubt we’ll see pets become useful in sPvP, even with a fix to F2 timing.

Exactly……

Nobody cares about PvE balancing except the EXTREMELY small amount of players who chill out in Fractals 30+ Balance PvP first…forget PvE, it’ll be easy either way.

in Ranger

TankAnyone.5370

I doubt we’ll see pets become useful in sPvP, even with a fix to F2 timing.

Exactly……

Nobody cares about PvE balancing except the EXTREMELY small amount of players who chill out in Fractals 30+ Balance PvP first…forget PvE, it’ll be easy either way.

More players play PvE then will ever play PvP. Why do you think 90% of the games substance is PvE content?

in Ranger

No Walking.6349

The only hard PvE is fractals 30+ The rest is easily doable, making this F ability fail not a big deal. In the parts of the game where balance really matters though (PvP/WvW) they’re significantly worse than every other class’ F abilities.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

i wish pet casts were more responsive, and worked when moving etc, but i’m guessing long cast times on the other hand are for balance – i know that even with a 0.5 second swap on cooldown out of combat, you can’t get more than 10 stacks of might (2x casts of 5) from mighty roar because of the long cast time. Maybe that’s why… they don’t all share the same activation time after all. That said i do think the cast times need to be “looked at” as arenanet devs like to say.

in Ranger

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

A warrior burst for most parts is a 3/4 for 2H and 1/2 for sword. Only instant ones are mace and axe.
“, every play a warrior?” funny when people like you are wrong and try to be snarky about it.

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

You know this whole thread is just insane. It is like someone complaing because a Car can travel faster than a toaster. Compainr apples and oranges here as F1 abilites are different on diffferent classes. To whine about Rangers should have xyz and instant cause other classes are instants(which is not even true as all lot of Eng stuff hase cast time and warriors burst also does.) If want to help ranger class out more try and make a sensible thread talking about speeding up cast time of pet abilities.

Anyway if going to use this insane comparison then Ranger F abilities are sometimes instant. Jag F2 is. And so is F1 attack it is instant command. So is F3 and F4 both instants.

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

/fail

And again, this is a heal…and it’s the medkit toolbelt skill. Don’t like it then switch to the other healing abilities which DO give an instant heal through regen. Most engineer F abilities are instant, wish rangers could say the same.

F1,F3,F4 are all instant What ranger are you talking about surely not GW2 Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Ranger pets skills are instant after the animation is done too, ever play a ranger?
Warrior’s f1’s are instant once they finish the animation, ever play a warrior?
Ele’s attunements are instant if they are not on CD, ever play en ele?

I don’t understand…….

in Ranger

Posted by: Pikka.6023

Pikka.6023

I think arguing the extremes here is silly. There’s a lot to like about pets, but they are also very unwieldy, and inconsistent compared to the performance other professions can get from their tool bar skills. There is at least a two second delay, and more typically, a four second, or even more, delay for most pet F2 skills. Given how fast combat is, that’s incredibly clumsy, and completely unnecessary. Even instant activate skills like a applying a spider’s venom to it’s next attack can have a significant delay. And given the mobility of combat, any pet skill that roots it during activation is impossible to use consistently in any form of PvP.

Also, the downed skill “Lick Wounds” has been bugged—pets often fail to revive you, especially on any, even mild, slope—since release with no sign it will be fixed ever. And even if it is, it takes incredibly long to be available to activate, and then you still have to wait for the pet to run to you—even activating the skill in PvP is a rarity, let alone rallying with it.

There’s wonderful variety in pets and a fantastic ability to cover weaknesses in your build, or dovetail with it’s strengths. Pets offer more flexibility, nominally, than other professions have, but because of poor mechanics, many pets are effectively useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

Free auto attack that steal 30-40% of the Ranger’s direct damage that would never miss if the target aint moving lol!
You can have it

edit: In other words, Rangers dealing 60-70% of damage on the target while their pets playing catch up.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Maybe you guys should train your pets better?

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Good players don’t get hit by the pet often. An average player will never get hit by a Drakes F2 breathe weapon either.

How are you guys getting hit so often that you think two seconds on the F2 abilities are actually, good?

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

An auto attack that isn’t even useful in WvW and sPvP because the pet never paths to the target correctly unless they’re rooted or crippled. Still nowhere near being as useful as ALL the other classes F abilities.

You should try more chills and cripples if you’re going to focus on pet damage for kills in wvw. If you want to try a hybrid build, then check out Valroth’s videos. If you’re set on beastmaster damage like you explained above, then check out some of Xsorsus videos.

Re-evalute your build and ask yourself “does my setup compliment pet damage”? If it does not, then don’t try to use the pets for your kills. And if your build still isn’t effective, try again.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

If pet cast time is too long is a good question, but about the argument given by OP.

It doesn’t make any sense. What kind of argument is that? “Others class F are instant, not our, it’s unbalanced”?

They are completly different mecanics. I don’t know how you can compare them.

And just for the fun, many aren’t instant. You are just making up facts.

At least 50% of toolbelt abilities of engineer have a delay.

Warrior have a delay on their burst.

Maybe the Death shroud cast is instant, but 50% of DS skills have delay.

Stop making up facts. And please don’t compare apple and orange. Some pets delay need works, but don’t bring useless arguments.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

I’ll give anyone 100g if they can hit me with the Drakes breath weapon.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

I’ll give anyone 100g if they can hit me with the Drakes breath weapon.

Irrelevant. This thread is about how F abilities of Ranger are not instant and all other ones are. Wrong and silly comparision in this thread. I think everyone agrees that Pet F2 abilites are stupid long with animation cast times. What people are saying is the OP is a fool who lies and makes up false stats on other classes F abilities to prove a comparison that is illogical to began with.