farm/zerg/champ farm = shorter lifespan

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I don’t get how some people can enjoy running a champ farm all day. Yes it is good gold and loot, but it seems so boring.

The only reason why I think people would do this would be because they want to get that final piece of gear or skin. What happens after they get it? They quit the game I would think if they are just PvE players.

Anet cannot do anything about this. If they changed it to loot certain champion once per day people would quit because they are so invested and used to this easy stuff. It is no wonder why people say they are quitting. They are getting their skins so fast that its doesn’t even put any stress on the brain at all.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

More time gating, great.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

You can make similar gold or more gold from dungeons depending on whether you’re speaking of Queensdale or fsg, and most people probably don’t do it all day, nor everyday. After cof p1 farmers have been making gold for so long, the gold distribution for open world and dungeon players is starting to get kind of even.

Also, people in the queens train don’t just do it for gold, there are also people there who do it for karma, and exp, and some do it just because they can.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

More time gating, great.

Yes time gating is boring, but Anet cannot think of a better way to solve farming problems. Lets see if you can think of something better.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Why do people posts complaints about something they don’t do? How is this impacting your game?

I don’t do fractals, never have. I simply won’t be herded like a sheep to play content anet wants gamers to play. I don’t go about posting complaints about others who did Fractals for 6-8 months until they burned out completely on it. That’s their issue, why make it mine?

TL;DR – If you don’t do it, why complain? It isn’t impacting you.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

You’re kind of right. I champ farmed for 7 hours a day for about a week straight, got the commander title and a piece of armor that I wanted, then I had nothing else to do in the game but sit and look at my pretty armor. I literally have no goals left in this game whatsoever. That is, until the next Living Story anyway.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

More time gating, great.

Yes time gating is boring, but Anet cannot think of a better way to solve farming problems. Lets see if you can think of something better.

If I had a game and that’s all people were doing I would probably question why they were doing that instead of actually playing the game. If the design was to do an area and occasionally kill certain champions, cool. Then why are people doing it? If it’s just skins like you think, then maybe I would need to come up with a better way of obtaining them. Oh, but then people would quit? Well then that’s a problem with my game not being enjoyable enough for people to actually want to play isn’kitten Two different problems.

To be fair that’s just how I do things. I look at the problem, then I continue until I reach the root of the problem. Then I address that. If you continue to simply treat the symptoms of an issue, you will never cure anything. Of course I’m not running a game for profit, and Anet is. So they do what they feel they have to do to keep the money coming in. Though I think simply having players that enjoy the game would probably encourage people to spend more.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I just want more variety in “farming”, make other parts of the game as profitable and smashing my head against my keyboard and champ farming lol.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Two things,

One, stop complaining about things that don’t affect you. Really. I know it’s the internet, and it’s hard, but try.

Second, there would be no champ farm (or minimal champ farm) if other activities paid off as well as the farm does, in the same time frames.

Tequatl doesn’t – the work is all out of whack for the reward. The meta bosses do, but they’re on timers, and the whole once-a-day thing kills that. Dungeon rewards got beaten into the dirt. That leaves the invasions, which could be good return, but only if you have a horde with you.

So, people who want cash (after all, it costs ~400G to get some crafting disciplines from 1-500, for the treadmill weapons) they’ll be doing what’s most profitable. Most profitable =/= fun.

EDIT: my spelling is horrible without coffee.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I still have several characters I’d like to gear for WvW, as well as my first legendary and expensive dyes off the TP.

Champ farm is my source of income.

I don’t do it every day. I do it a few times a week but not all the time I’m in game.

It does not need changed.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

TL;DR – If you don’t do it, why complain? It isn’t impacting you.

Until you and a couple of buddies see champ boar spawn and decide to down him on the spot.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I get next to little money in Frostgorge Champion farm. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? :)

I salvage most of the things that come out of the exotic packs for essence of luck. I’ve also only gotten 1 exotic so far and it’s the Rock weed Spire trident. Decided to salvage it (with my Gemstore salvage kit) and didn’t get a single ecto :p

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Lambent.6375

I get next to little money in Frostgorge Champion farm. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

I salvage most of the things that come out of the exotic packs for essence of luck. I’ve also only gotten 1 exotic so far and it’s the Rock weed Spire trident. Decided to salvage it (with my Gemstore salvage kit) and didn’t get a single ecto :p

Some people exaggerate how much one can make from champ farm. 1 hour of champ farming will probably get you around 40-50 boxes if you have a fast load speed and are able to hit each champ ever run, and it also depends on champ spawn time. (as much as people make threads on it, they’ve already nerfed the fsg champ farm a couple times)

40-50 boxes will probably get you around 2-3+ gold in pure coin, which is similar to what one would get running dungeon paths. The difference is you get mats from champ boxes, while dungeons give tokens. If one chooses to sell their mats, they can make more than 2-3 gold an hour.
(inb4 someone calls me out because I’ve only did one session/video of this to see how much I got in 1 hour :P)
Also: Possible benefits of champ farming.

- Gives people with limited playtime a quick way to make a little gold if they choose to do it. There is no waiting for events, or waiting to form a party with people, you just jump right in, and leave as soon as you’ve had enough.

- Lower loadstone prices. Cores come from champ boxes at a pretty decent rate, which has helped increase the supply on the tp, and lower core/lodestone prices.

- Some players enjoy running around with a mass of people, and champ farming is one of the activities that gives them a chance to do that.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

I get next to little money in Frostgorge Champion farm. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Some people exaggerate how much one can make from champ farm. 1 hour of champ farming will probably get you around 40-50 boxes if you have a fast load speed and are able to hit each champ ever run, and it also depends on champ spawn time. (as much as people make threads on it, they’ve already nerfed the fsg champ farm a couple times)

40-50 boxes will probably get you around 2-3+ gold in pure coin, which is similar to what one would get running dungeon paths. The difference is you get mats from champ boxes, while dungeons give tokens. If one chooses to sell their mats, they can make more than 2-3 gold an hour.
(inb4 someone calls me out because I’ve only did one session/video of this to see how much I got in 1 hour :P)
Also: Possible benefits of champ farming.

- Gives people with limited playtime a quick way to make a little gold if they choose to do it. There is no waiting for events, or waiting to form a party with people, you just jump right in, and leave as soon as you’ve had enough.

- Lower loadstone prices. Cores come from champ boxes at a pretty decent rate, which has helped increase the supply on the tp, and lower core/lodestone prices.

- Some players enjoy running around with a mass of people, and champ farming is one of the activities that gives them a chance to do that.

It should be stressed that you do need a genuinely FAST PC to guarantee that, though, at least at peak time. With a fairly slow one (decent HDD speed, though), there is no way I can get any but the top three in Frostgorge.

I do think that’s kind of a problem because it means that, right now, top money making = fast computer. No easy solution to that, of course.

Queensdale Champ farm I can load fast enough to get all of (just barely), but that seems to be more like 1-2g/hour rather than 2-3g, and has worse stuff in the bags, so total cash is a lot less.

I think Champ farming is fine myself. It’s kind of fun and jolly, in an old-fashioned way, I just wish it was more open to players on older machines. I think overall something like that is a benefit to the game, but I do think that if 2-3g/hour from Champ farm (which is zero-skill zergsurfing, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just a fact!) is fine, ArenaNet could stand to open up some more ways to make that sort of money/hour (other than dungeons).

As for the OP’s concern that people get what they want and leave, well, yes, that will happen – it happens with every game, including hardcore progression games. I still remember in WoW, in BWL, when our Paladin finally got 8/8 T2, and BAM, he’s all “Right I’ve won WoW, I’m leaving guys” and we’re all “kitten#8230;..” – he wasn’t the only one, either, so… it happens, but… well… it happens. Unavoidable.

If someone is going to leave as soon as they have something, just slowing down them down by making them earn cash more slowly isn’t going to do much.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

More time gating, great.

I’ll pick up the challenge.

3 changes:

-Champ boxes rarity affect much more the drops (money, mats, amount of them, lvl of green/blue items, chances of rare/exotic). The gap scale between Exotic/Rare/—-/White rarity boxes worth of drop should be much steeper. Exotics would be a little more profitable than now, while lower tiers of rarity nearly worthless.

-Champs will drop exotic rarity boxes as standard.

-Diminishing Return system: if you kill too many champs in a too short timespan the rarity of the boxes gets downscaled for some time. If you stop killing champs for that given time the rarity returns to the standard exotic. If you keep farming for too long it gets downscaled again and again, until hitting the while box rarity.

Bam, fixed the mindless farming.

If you farm for 2 hrs straight the Frostgorge champs, you’ll soon get only white boxes with 30 copper and some Jute scraps.
You still can do it, but if you do it for too long the profit become close to 0.
In the “right doses” instead, you can farm or do DGs and get profit from champs just like now.

Ofc it would all be down to setting the right “Champs/Time” numbers ratio, to punish the circle zerging but not touching DG running or casual open world parties slaying champs while exploring.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Players today are used to being spoon-fed with content. They are taught and in many cases, forced to wait for the developers to come up with new content for them to consume.

Back in the days of Ultima Online we had to make our own content and boy, did we make it. Best days of computerised role playing I’ve ever experienced. I’m afraid those will never come back.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

What farming problems?

Some people like gearing out their alts.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Not quire so, if you’re on vent whilst doing it talkin’ about last night’s football or the day’s events, consciously you’re doing two things at the same time.

One of them takes the boredom out of the other, if you see my point.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I like gearing my alts and I am just a PvE player. ( with skins )

Personally I would quit the game if I had to farm all day- I can’t stand it.
To say I would rather stick splinters under my nails is not an exaggeration.
So I don’t do it, at all.

I do stuff I find fun and I am poor and it takes me a long time to get things.
To me that is preferable because while I play, I enjoy myself and I see a bunch of cool things along the way.

If I wanted a piece of gear so bad that it made me ride a champ train to get it I would say thank god and quit once that is over.
So yes, personally it would seriously impact the lifespan.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I did it 2 times now for maybe 5-6 runs in Frostgorge, mainly for the Bloodstones i needed for ascended weapons. To make it longer its too much stress for me, also i have the feeling i make better gold with much less stress if i just go harvesting wood

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Tom Gore.4035

Not quire so, if you’re on vent whilst doing it talkin’ about last night’s football or the day’s events, consciously you’re doing two things at the same time.

One of them takes the boredom out of the other, if you see my point.

Now take this concept and instead of riding the champ train, you’re sitting in a pub with a pint and discussing the same stuff.

Which would be more fun?

One – Piken Square

Eurhetemec.9052

Players today are used to being spoon-fed with content. They are taught and in many cases, forced to wait for the developers to come up with new content for them to consume.

Back in the days of Ultima Online we had to make our own content and boy, did we make it. Best days of computerised role playing I’ve ever experienced. I’m afraid those will never come back.

They still exist, if you like that sort of thing – EVE is all about that.

WildStar, bizarrely, seems to be trying to combine that with a more typical Holy Trinity setup, but apparently this is leading to a very, very time-consuming game, at least at this stage in development.

That said, those days will never quite come back, because experiencing MMOs for the first time can only happen once. EQ kind of sucked but no MMO will ever be as exciting as EQ initially was, for me, I think – I suspect UO is the same for you.

Tom Gore.4035

They still exist, if you like that sort of thing – EVE is all about that.

I love EVE’s concept and player interaction. Unfortunately the game itself is immensely bland and doesn’t feel “game” enough for me. I’ve spend many months in EVE but I just cannot stay immersed for long.

I’d still play UO if it had any meaningful population and they would erase the stupid gear grind out of it (basically many changes from Age of Shadows and after that).

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I don’t see the difference between the previous event farms, temple farms, cof1 farms, dragon farms (to a lesser extend maybe) …

Personally I don’t “farm” for hours on end, but I definitely enjoy hopping on the train for a few rounds with a character, hitting the nodes while I’m at it, switching to another character and doing another round.

But I think you are right OP, everything should only reward anything only once a day, that will show those players to neglect the plethora of other content!

One fractal a day, one story dungeon, one explorable dungeon, no matter which one, that’s it! PvP tournaments/matches? One! WvW defending/capturing a fort or slapping a dolyak? Once a day! Activities? One. Game. Per. Day. Any kind of event or heart, exploring vistas etc … that’s right, one a day each, otherwise they will burn out.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

It should be stressed that you do need a genuinely FAST PC to guarantee that, though, at least at peak time. With a fairly slow one (decent HDD speed, though), there is no way I can get any but the top three in Frostgorge.

I do think that’s kind of a problem because it means that, right now, top money making = fast computer. No easy solution to that, of course.

Guest to a server with less of a zerg and which runs to instead of ports to the wurm. Before I got my machine upgraded, I did that and did ok.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Eurhetemec.9052

Guest to a server with less of a zerg and which runs to instead of ports to the wurm. Before I got my machine upgraded, I did that and did ok.

Wow, yeah, lateral thinking!

I’ll try that! Do you have any suggestions as to which?

Lambent.6375

Dang, I didn’t even know there were servers where the whole zerg ports to wurm. Seems kind of pointless because they will eventually have to wait for either fish, kodan, or norn to spawn by the time they get back. Well, I guess the competition to get a hit in may be really a lot on high pop servers.

(well, it wouldn’t be a real big issue if some people weren’t insistent on unleashing their full might on the champions, but, you know)

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

I don’t get how some people can enjoy running a champ farm all day. Yes it is good gold and loot, but it seems so boring.

The only reason why I think people would do this would be because they want to get that final piece of gear or skin. What happens after they get it? They quit the game I would think if they are just PvE players.

Anet cannot do anything about this. If they changed it to loot certain champion once per day people would quit because they are so invested and used to this easy stuff. It is no wonder why people say they are quitting. They are getting their skins so fast that its doesn’t even put any stress on the brain at all.

I hate football, baseball, and pretty much any sport one could name but it doesn’t mean many other folks wont enjoy it.

Team Peenk

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I really don’t get why anti-farmers want to enforce their own tendencies on farmers.

It’s like casuals trying to instill casual tendencies on hardcore players.

Good luck.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I really don’t get why anti-farmers want to enforce their own tendencies on farmers.

Good luck.

I don’t think they’ll succeed but I can tell you why they try. The champ farm trains increase the price of everything on the TP. Or at least they seem to. Much more gold goes into the system than mats.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Vol.5241

Good luck.

I don’t think they’ll succeed but I can tell you why they try. The champ farm trains increase the price of everything on the TP. Or at least they seem to. Much more gold goes into the system than mats.

I’m not entirely sure about that, but then again we don’t have the proof for it

Champ farming does this:
-contributes gold in the economy from pure silver from boxes
-contributes materials in the economy (which indirectly leads into a gold sink through TP fees)
-generates lots of blues/greens, which now act as an indirect gold sink due to the # of ppl who decide to a.) salvage for luck or b.) sell directly to the TP rather than vending for pure silver to a vendor

But anyways, farming can never be stopped. Farmers will always find the most efficient way to make gold and you can’t stop that unless you totally redesign an MMO into something else that wouldn’t even be considered an MMO. These efforts from non-farmers are just wasted.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Eurhetemec.9052

Good luck.

Champ farming does this:
-contributes materials in the economy (which indirectly leads into a gold sink through TP fees)
-generates lots of blues/greens, which now act as an indirect gold sink due to the # of ppl who decide to a.) salvage for luck or b.) sell directly to the TP rather than vending for pure silver to a vendor

But anyways, farming can never be stopped. Farmers will always find the most efficient way to make gold and you can’t stop that unless you totally redesign an MMO into something else that wouldn’t even be considered an MMO. These efforts from non-farmers are just wasted.

I don’t know if you know much about economics, but #1 obvious, inarguably, inflates the economy, #2 depresses prices on those items, but only those items, and #3 inflates the price of those items (no, people are not putting them on TP enough to counteract this – obvious from GW2spidy), albeit not dramatically.

So overall, not it’s not unclear or lacking evidence, it’s very basic economics – more money enters the economy – inflation occurs.

The only REAL gold sink (apart from very minor ones like AH fees) is the gem store – and that is what is keeping this under control, for now. People who have lots and lots of money tend to buy gems with it – rather than it all going into the economy.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Frankly I don’t care what farmers do as long as it doesn’t impact the rest of the player base and I don’t mean prices on the Tp etc.

The other day my husband picked up the game again- he hasn’t played since December.
He is very excited- he doesn’t know about the champ train in Queensdale and merrily runs around setting off events and calling cheerfully in map- because that is what we did when the game came out. He is on a starter character in a starter map.

You should have seen that dog fight between two different champ trains.
So he asks me what is up with that and has everyone lost their minds?

Farmers used to be tucked away in COF p1 now they are unleashed en masse.

Gunnar’s Hold

Vol.5241

Good luck.

Champ farming does this:

I don’t know if you know much about economics, but #1 obvious, inarguably, inflates the economy, #2 depresses prices on those items, but only those items, and #3 inflates the price of those items (no, people are not putting them on TP enough to counteract this – obvious from GW2spidy), albeit not dramatically.

So overall, not it’s not unclear or lacking evidence, it’s very basic economics – more money enters the economy – inflation occurs.

The only REAL gold sink (apart from very minor ones like AH fees) is the gem store – and that is what is keeping this under control, for now. People who have lots and lots of money tend to buy gems with it – rather than it all going into the economy.

I very much understand economics. And yes, while inflation occurs among champ farmers, we don’t know if the economy as a whole is getting inflated. Not everyone farms champions and you could say the overall playerbase is not inflating gold.

I don’t understand how you view TP fees minor. Every single transaction gets cut and thousands of transactions happen a day. The only part of the gem store that acts like a gold sink is the buying gems through gold portion. I highly doubt the effect on gold through that method outweighs the TP fees.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

@Vol.

I don’t know about the actual effect, but the perceived effect is inflationary. Whether it is or not. That’s sufficient for the anti-farming hounds to be released.

Again, this isn’t advocacy, it’s just an explanation about why people may be upset.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Frankly I don’t care what farmers do as long as it doesn’t impact the rest of the player base and I don’t mean prices on the Tp etc.

The other day my husband picked up the game again- he hasn’t played since December.
He is very excited- he doesn’t know about the champ train in Queensdale and merrily runs around setting off events and calling cheerfully in map- because that is what we did when the game came out. He is on a starter character in a starter map.

You should have seen that dog fight between two different champ trains.
So he asks me what is up with that and has everyone lost their minds?

Farmers used to be tucked away in COF p1 now they are unleashed en masse.

Queensdale is not really pretty I agree. It could be great on paper, but I don’t think it works out nicely in reality.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

tbh, I don’t see the effect of say inflation, no matter it really exist or not. I don’t know what you do in pve. But except SAB, I see money everywhere. dungeon, world boss, gathering. I don’t think the profit margin between these is that huge. My guild is casual so as my guildies. They said money is easy to gain now but they never run champ farm. In terms of creating gold, I think the way now is in good shape.

Lambent.6375

I don’t see how people can point at champ farming as a source of inflation. the pure coin income of fsg is about even with dungeons, aside from the fact that one can run champs as long as they want. Sure, champ farming takes less skill, but why can’t open world players make any gold? Should we create another situation where all the gold was in the hands of the dungeon farmers? At least it’s a bit spread out now. As far as risk/reward, dungeon runners are still getting tokens, which many don’t take into account.

As far as people running champs for hours and hours, how many people are capable of doing that?

1. You would need a lot of free time.

2. You would have to be willing to do it, while ignoring the LS, and all other game activities.

Bonus: Sometimes zerg trolls will come to crush the building, and you will be forced to hang it up (or guest or something)

^ Just off of these two requirements, I would guess there isn’t a lot of people doing this.

Some sort of DR can be placed on it, but then again, that would be punishing another minority of players. Those that can only play about 3 days a week, and one of those days they just might want to spend 5 hours champ farming, but the DR puts a clamp on their plans immediately. Well, I guess whatever happens it’s impossible for everyone to be happy.