ferry, not taxi

ferry, not taxi

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

behold Guild Wars jargon of old: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ferry

what even is taxi? taximeter? have i been forgetting to pay my fare?

short for taxicab.

a boat or other means of transportation used to convey passengers in return for payment of a fare.

taxi is kind of immersion breaking.

ferry, on the other hand, actually matches the description of what we’ve been doing:

transport from one place to another on short or regular trips.
“helicopters ferried 4,000 men into the desert”

actually how about we just eliminate the need for ferrying/taxi-ing; hunting LFG just to join and leave for a filled map is awkward, and players who aren’t “in the know” get left behind. should this really be necessary??

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Taxi is of course short for taxidermy, as in, we’re stuffing one map full of players

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the weirdness of this place know no boundaries.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Ferry – A person that takes people to a place that would otherwise be unreachable because of quest or campaign requirements
Runner – A person that takes people quckly to already accessible places
Taxi – A person that takes people to another instance of the same place they already are

Ferries exist in GW2 in the form of dungeon/fractal openers that open explorable paths for people that didn’t do the story themselves.

There are only very few places where you can be a runner for someone in GW2. For example underwater fractal the first one to pass can be a runner for the rest of the group. They don’t need to pass the swimming part themselves but can just respawn at the checkpoint after the runner has reached it.

Taxis are a new thing in GW2. In GW1 it was impossible to invite people that weren’t on the same map and instance as you, so taxying was impossible.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

A ferry (or ferryboat) is a boat or ship (a merchant vessel) used to carry (or ferry) primarily passengers, and sometimes vehicles and cargo as well, across a body of water.
If there is no body of water involved, it should be a Taxi.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

A ferry (or ferryboat) is a boat or ship (a merchant vessel) used to carry (or ferry) primarily passengers, and sometimes vehicles and cargo as well, across a body of water.
If there is no body of water involved, it should be a Taxi.

ferry’s definition is a lot more flexible than that, unlike taxi. how about taxi when payment is expected, and ferry when it’s free

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

behold Guild Wars jargon of old: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ferry

what even is taxi? taximeter? have i been forgetting to pay my fare?

short for taxicab.

a boat or other means of transportation used to convey passengers in return for payment of a fare.

taxi is kind of immersion breaking.

ferry, on the other hand, actually matches the description of what we’ve been doing:

transport from one place to another on short or regular trips.
“helicopters ferried 4,000 men into the desert”

actually how about we just eliminate the need for ferrying/taxi-ing; hunting LFG just to join and leave for a filled map is awkward, and players who aren’t “in the know” get left behind. should this really be necessary??

“Taxi” is only immersion breaking if you want it to be. Also: it’s slightly shorter to type.

And taxiing is a mathematical necessity: people are just more likely to enter a map with fewer people, except when tons of people are joining the same map.

• People using LFG will be in full maps.
  • Full maps won’t accept new people.
  • Nearly full maps have some slots reserved (for additional party members, including taxis) and so won’t accept new people.
  • Leaving the newer maps for the new joiners.

The tool has been in the game for a long time. I wouldn’t say you have to be “in the know” — you just have to be willing to use the mechanics the game offers. Unless you think that people who dodge or learn to avoid damage are offered an advantage because they are “in the know” about those mechanics, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

People will always use “taxi” instead of "ferry’ because in today’s short-attention-span world, “taxi” is one keystroke less than "ferr—

ooo, something shiny!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

It should be ‘taxi’ to pay homage to a certain brand of valiant hero in another NCSoft game, “City of Heroes”. Taxibots were robots in taxi colors (player characters with the teleport abilities lol) that would help teleport people across zones.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Man, what exactly am I reading right now lol.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Man, what exactly am I reading right now lol.

A pointless argument. Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay!

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Okay here’s the thing and actual answer:

Once upon a time there was a little plump yellow fairy with dazzling blue wings and a crooked green hat. She liked to carry a red umbrella around that she would sometimes use on birds to bop them on the head when they tried to eat her. One of her fairy powers was a sixth sense for when others mention the word fairy. Because she was such a helpful fairy, when people would seek aide from a fairy, she would hear their plea across the mists and…. Poof!! She would appear in front of them to grant them one blessing. Well unfortunately ferry and fairy sound the same and her sixth sense could not differentiate the difference. So when people would plead for a ferry to another instance of reality…..Poof!! She would appear infront of them; ready to give them a blessing. Well all they wanted was to move to another instance of reality, which is more of a wish not a blessing. So she became more and more frustrated at these “troll calls.” Out of spite she would change any person who asked for a ferry into a Dare Devil from whatever previous class they were gifted in. Until eventually she saw a Dare Devil trying to fight an ambient creature and lost. She took pity on the profession but she was still stuck with a major dilemma. It had been 300 years since the last great fairy summoning but she knew only deep powerful combined fairy magic could fix her problem.

So she had made up her mind, she would summon the great fairy council. One rainy day she glided into a thicket when it started to storm. She put up her umbrella and started the summoning spell. Poof! Poooof!! Poof! Poofpoofpoof!! The other six fairies poofed into exsistence from across the mists. She presented her case and all the faries thought she was being melodramatic. This would simply not do. Bop! Bop! BopBopBopBop!! She bopped them all on the head with her red umbrella 10 times each. All the fairies became quite irate but apparently the headache it gave them made them change their minds. So they decided to pull their fairy magic together and get rid of the term ferry and replace it with the word taxi in everyone’s minds by tapping into Mesmer magic. They chose to replace ferry with the word taxi because they liked animals and several faries have this “thing” for dead stuffed animals and often end up marrying them. They thought if more people used the word taxi, perhaps the world would become more accepting of taxidermy marriage. I know this seems rather strange but that is fairy logic. And so it came to be that the word ferry was replaced with taxi in all the world. The end.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Taxi is of course short for taxidermy, as in, we’re stuffing one map full of players

OK, plus one. Made me laugh.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Ferry is bringing characters to a different map inaccessible to other players. Taxi is bringing players to the same instance of the current map, presumably they can access it already or can go to it on their own.

An example of ferry in Guild Wars 2 is when you haven’t explored the whole map, but one player of your party enters a dungeon. A prompt then appears and you could enter the dungeon even though you haven’t explored the area where the dungeon is located.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

(edited by HaxTester.9816)

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I used charge for my ferries, made enough to pay for a vabbian armour set.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Why not fairies?

Using dere magickz to wisk u to map.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Why not fairies?

Using dere magickz to wisk u to map.

You should read my post about 4 posts up. It explains why

ferry, not taxi

Monk Tank.5897

An airplane uses taxiways to taxi from one place on an airport to another; for example, when moving from a terminal to the runway.

What you are doing is Taxiing people from one map to another.

Whether or not you charge for your Taxiing, is irrelevant.

ferry, not taxi

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Ooh semantics, I’m instantly transported back the the Queen’s “Jubilee”. Anyone remember that?
Aah, memories…

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

ferry, not taxi

Monk Tank.5897

Sure do! Its where i got my first and only precursor..followed shortly after game changing nerf to Magic Find gear.