filter out other languages

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rhonda berenne.8573

rhonda berenne.8573

What ever happened to the filter for other languages?
Inside of WvW there is people speaking multiple languages causing us great confusion.
Is it possible to bring back the “Filter out non English” feature to the chat?
It would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The option is removed only from WvW

(edited by rhonda berenne.8573)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Inside of WvW there is people speaking multiple languages causing us great confusion.

The option is still there. Click the little cog symbol in the top left corner of the chat box and select ‘Show Only English’.

It’s not perfect because it’s based on what language the players game is set to. So if they have it set to show all text in English but type in French (for example) you’ll still see it. But it should hide some, maybe most, of it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’ve often found it rude of people to join a game’s NA/English server and spam global/map with a language other than English. I personally try to avoid doing it myself if I play a game on a foreign server.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I’ve often found it rude of people to join a game’s NA/English server and spam global/map with a language other than English. I personally try to avoid doing it myself if I play a game on a foreign server.

indeed, one does not move to another country and expect it and its people to adapt to you, rather than you adapting to it.
that being said, thank grenth for the koreans on my server. otherwise we’d have a rough trip in wvw.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

If you look carefully at World selection screen, it doesn’t say “EN” on the regular worlds, it’s just the french, german, and spanish ones are specified. That could well be taken to mean that the other ones are more intended to be “international” in which case all languages are ok. Oh and there’s at least 2 official languages in North America, English and French…

If I see map chat I don’t understand, I’ll just assume it’s got nothing to do with me and move on.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

rhonda berenne.8573

The option is still there. Click the little cog symbol in the top left corner of the chat box and select ‘Show Only English’.

It’s not perfect because it’s based on what language the players game is set to. So if they have it set to show all text in English but type in French (for example) you’ll still see it. But it should hide some, maybe most, of it.

https://gyazo.com/d0da665de4512db1784f0b14f13dd7d1

Zohane.7208

Click the cog Wheel in the top left corner of chat box…

Gunnar’s Hold

rhonda berenne.8573

Click the cog Wheel in the top left corner of chat box…

That is the cog wheel .-.

Zohane.7208

Oh, so it seems, my mistake.

My client has an additional checkbox after those 3, and that’s “Show Only English”. I think it’s time for you to either try a -repair or send in a support ticket and have Anet look at it – looks like there may be something wrong with your game client.

Gunnar’s Hold

rhonda berenne.8573

ANET removed it from WvW. When we return to PvE we have the option for it.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

This is really annoying, especially on EU servers. My English is far from perfect but I don’t even try to speak my native language in MMOs… It’s just rude. I block EVERYONE who doesn’t speak English in map / squad chat.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

On those rare occasions I even look at the chat box, if something is written in a language I don’t know then I ignore it and move on. If I can’t read it, whatever is being communicated doesn’t concern me…. just like the majority of what’s typed in English.

~EW

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

If it isn’t relevant to me or one of my guild mates talking, chat is off.