for all of you who ask for a trinity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Spakpak.7260

Spakpak.7260

I have noticed these threads popping up every so often, “we need a holy trinity, game is boring without it, etc.” People need to realize that Gw2 was designed specifically not to have this system! Asking for a trinity for gw2 is like asking for mining/ gathering in a FPS game. If you feel like you cannot live without a trinity, maybe GW2 is just not right for you.

Coexist: I play wow and gw2 and I love them both

Posted by: GlobalSwag.8034

GlobalSwag.8034

cool story bro.

15chars

omg, you posted cool story bro, how original and witty. I am just so kitten right now

If you had explained your reasoning with backup links, theory’s, etc. that would be one thing. But to make a thread with a couple sentences saying if you want a trinity then gtfo, well, thats a cool story bro.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Yes, GW2 was designed to not have the system. Doesn’t mean that it does a good job with whatever system they were attempting to use. I don’t think the holy trinity needs to be in place, but more clearly defined roles that make more professions than Warrior, Gaurdian, and Mesmer useful for dungeons need to be put in place to round it out.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

The biggest issue is that they didn’t DESIGN this game to have a holy trinity, but thanks to balancing and class issues it is. I find certain classes are more wanted for certain roles, this forms a type of holy trinity. But those are just my observations.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

This systome works just fine the only people that have a problem with it dont understand or are not good at it

Posted by: Spakpak.7260

Spakpak.7260

cool story bro.

15chars

omg, you posted cool story bro, how original and witty. I am just so kitten right now

If you had explained your reasoning with backup links, theory’s, etc. that would be one thing. But to make a thread with a couple sentences saying if you want a trinity then gtfo, well, thats a cool story bro.

Didn’t really feel like doing that, this is mainly my opinion.

Coexist: I play wow and gw2 and I love them both

UnderdogSMO.9428

And i got to say just because you can zerg dps the boss dosnt mean its the best way my guild likes to come out with 0 deaths and more silver than what we started with. Insted of bunch of repair bills

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

And i got to say just because you can zerg dps the boss dosnt mean its the best way my guild likes to come out with 0 deaths and more silver than what we started with. Insted of bunch of repair bills

You make like… 70s per dungeon run on average. Do you really die so much in a dungeon that that isn’t enough?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I like it that this games has no trinity in the form of a tank and healer class.

But each class is should still play differently in combat.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Mesmer useful for dungeons need to be put in place to round it out.

How odd, folks tell me in this forum (and in map, etc— basically no one I ever group with) that mesmers are garbage for PvE and Dungeons

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: stormdragon.4932

stormdragon.4932

I have noticed these threads popping up every so often, “we need a holy trinity, game is boring without it, etc.” People need to realize that Gw2 was designed specifically not to have this system! Asking for a trinity for gw2 is like asking for mining/ gathering in a FPS game. If you feel like you cannot live without a trinity, maybe GW2 is just not right for you.

Even though it’s common sense to us…most folks who are screaming for a trinity just can’t wrap their sm..uh “brians” around GW2 system…they want WoWzorz but are too ashamed to go crawling back to it.

UnderdogSMO.9428

You make like… 70s per dungeon run on average. Do you really die so much in a dungeon that that isn’t enough?

I dont but the way some players kitten about gold and such it really sounds like they do. I mean i consider myself average at best but than i have run with some freaking god awefull pugs.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Mesmer useful for dungeons need to be put in place to round it out.

How odd, folks tell me in this forum (and in map, etc— basically no one I ever group with) that mesmers are garbage for PvE and Dungeons

whuut? Mesmer’s time warp thingy is sooooo kitten good at boss fights. Putting up clones also help manage the aggro of the mobs. True they don’t have good aoe, but they have alot of skills/tricks that really help dungeons (like swamp for one!)

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Sylv.5324

Yeah. <3

I have a rune of fire on one of my GS as well as my sword for the aoe blasts, and shatter a lot to help, too.

I drop feedback at key times, too.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The issue – as always – is that players of classic MMOs are too used to play MMOs the way they have always played, and cannot understand something different.

The game does not need “set in stone” roles. The game does not need to tell players “You are a tank, you in other hand are a DPS and you are a healer” – the game already tells players what they can do based on the skills they have available. The true role of a character within the game is defined by those skills in combination with traits, but it’s not something so simple to be translated in a single word, and definitely not so simple to be translated into “tank or healer or DPS”.

People who cannot accept and/or understand this, in other hand, think all GW2 professions are DPS simply because the game has no tanks or healers, ergo all that would be left is DPS. Which shows more how stubborn and unwilling to let go of old concepts some people are.

I think one of ArenaNet’s main failures with GW2 was not making it clear that this game was focused on players who were not fans of classic MMOs. They should have done stronger marketing focusing on those who were not happy with the direction of the rest of the MMO genre – those players are the ones who enjoy GW2 the most. The others, who are looking for one more WoW clone to play during 3 months and leave, are not happy with GW2, but they should not be.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Rysinsun.7306

Rysinsun.7306

This systome works just fine the only people that have a problem with it dont understand or are not good at it

Actually I enjoyed it more when I didn’t understand it. Now that I do I find it to be very bland, mundanely repetitive and well….just…boring and lacking in every area.

I hope a future update expands on their combat system in some way because I do want to like this game, but when the core element is so dull it really is detrimental to the game experience.

(edited by Rysinsun.7306)

Posted by: SharDarksoul.3024

SharDarksoul.3024

GW2 =/= WoW.

End.

Posted by: Robique.8279

Robique.8279

whuut? Mesmer’s time warp thingy is sooooo kitten good at boss fights. Putting up clones also help manage the aggro of the mobs. True they don’t have good aoe, but they have alot of skills/tricks that really help dungeons (like swamp for one!)

Mesmers don’t have good AoE? Look up a random “Shatter mesmer” build please.

Sylv.5324

If you’re willing to melee and trait yourself in the illusions line, it boosts that even further. Which is why farming is no longer a pain. Shatters and aoe cones everywhere!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

oh, i stand corrected. I don’t know much about the shatter build of mesmers. Well, in any case, I love having them around.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Nayru.4537

Nayru.4537

Mining in an FPS is obscure as having tank, dps and healers in an MMO?

Maybe GW2 is just not right for you.

Yes – my name is Nayru and I am a guy – we play games too, get over it.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

GW2 =/= WoW.

End.

GW2 > WoW

End.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

People are just lazy and too brainwashed by MMOs that were designed to brainwash…

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Docherty.8372

Docherty.8372

maybe GW2 is just not right for you.

You’d hear this a lot from sycophants in another game recently… what was it? Hmm… oh yeah – SWTOR.

Welp, people took that advice to heart, and the game sank like a stone. Long story short – this type of comment is worse than useless, it is counter-productive and totally asinine.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

This thread lol… OP do you really think that people that complain are the ones that do badly in dungeons? Get real man, its not about that. It is about the fact that everyone is doing exactly same thing in the dungeon and almost every fight looks the same. Just use ur cds, use ur heal, and do dmg, oh and press V for dodge roll when you stay in red circle. It is too simplified. Now there are three options : bring back trinity or at least allow us to make builds that support trinity based gameplay for those that want to play that way, fix current system (somehow), or change all encounters in the game to be more than just what they are now.

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

OP, first off, no, this game was NOT designed around not having a trinity. They took the trinity, and just said “we’re not going to add tanking and healing”. All they did was remove aggro control and only put the damage classes in. GW1 was a game designed around no trinity. Everyone in your group brought REAL utility to the group, there was synergy between the players there.

GW2, though, was lazy. Their new idea was literally multiplayer skyrim. That’s exactly what we’re playing. While it works on paper, in game, there’s just way too much missing.

It was a good attempt, but it failed. Combat is pathetic, there’s no real challenge, there’s not even a need for a group, look at all the stuff people are soloing.

So people are recommending the trinity because it’s an idea that has a long history of proving that it works. It opens up the ability for combat to actually be challenging, it brings synergy to the group, everyone has a sense of purpose, not just throwing more numbers at a mob, going through constant deaths and running back until it dies. Combat needs to also be immersive.

And you guys seriously need to stop with the “you want a wow clone”. We don’t. If we wanted a WoW clone, we’d be playing WoW, since no clone will match it. We’re not looking for the same combat system as every other game out there, but we want to actually be excited about combat. We want a point to use being in the group. We want a reason to even have a group.

ANet addressed the wrong issues of MMORPGs, but using the wrong answers.

A lack of trinity doesn’t make a game more fun to play, interesting game mechanics do.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

The issue – as always – is that players of classic MMOs are too used to play MMOs the way they have always played, and cannot understand something different.

Aren’t we all players of classic mmo’s? I didn’t come from COD to GW2. I like to think almost everyone can figure out each games nuances, they all have them. This game isn’t that far out there.

Posted by: Strayhand.8216

Strayhand.8216

A lack of trinity doesn’t make a game more fun to play, interesting game mechanics do.

Correct. The problem is that people think the trinity is an interesting mechanic…

Erasculio.2914

Aren’t we all players of classic mmo’s?

No.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Aren’t we all players of classic mmo’s?

No.

You are right, I made the mistake of dealing with an absolute, what Obiwan says only Sith’s deal in.

Aren’t a lot of us those who have played several other mmo’s, assuming those being called classic mmo’s?

Erasculio.2914

Aren’t a lot of us those who have played several other mmo’s, assuming those being called classic mmo’s?

Yes.

And you are not the target audience of Guild Wars 2. Probably exactly because many people who have played several MMOs are happy with the “same old, same old” format seen on classic MMOs, and refuse anything new (such as the lack of trinity). Not to mention how many MMO players jump from MMO to MMO looking for a copy of their first online world, whether they realize it or not (this is a great read).

Meanwhile, ArenaNet said:

“If you like MMOs, you are going to like GW2.”

“If you don’t like MMOs, you are REALLY going to like GW2.”

The issue is that ArenaNet didn’t market the game properly, as something for those who do not like the way classic MMOs work. As a result, the game has a very vocal minority of classic MMO players who want GW2 to become just one more copy of those old MMOs.

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

Due to the inflammatory tone of multiple posts in this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.