forum posts [suggestion]

forum posts [suggestion]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Allow each new topic poster to moderate their own thread and remove any replies as needed. This may help the OP better achieve the purpose of their thread. Less frequent thread derailing may also result as an effect. This would also reduce the burden of forum moderators of having to frequently moderate every thread constantly because posters would be able to effectively moderate it themselves. A sub-forum of each forum could be used for self moderating forums.

(edited by Zahld.4956)

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

So I can delete the posts from everyone who disagrees with me?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Allow each new topic poster to moderate their own thread and remove any replies as needed. This may help the OP better achieve the purpose of their thread. Less frequent thread derailing may also result also. This would also reduce the burden of forum moderators having to frequently moderate every thread constantly because posters would be able to effectively moderate it themselves. A sub-forum of each forum could be used for self moderating forums.

I don’t know if this would have any effect. Moderators would still be required to look out for “troll” OPs for blocking discussion if it doesn’t fit their tastes just so. There’s been a few people lately with some pretty inflammatory posts that they were wrong about something and trolled the whole time or what have you. The moderators could and would still be required to lock those threads down just like they do now.

If the topic is derailing, there’s always the report button. It’s there for more than just harassment.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It wouldn’t end well unfortunately. Sounds very open to abuse. There are plenty of posters that wouldn’t abuse it but there are a few…er…hysterically irrational posters (to use an extreme) that would spoil it for everyone else. Plus it just doesn’t seem right.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

If need. It goes with self moderating. Semi-open type forum posts like current forum posting allows for any posting unless only the forum moderators disagree with it and doesnt cater too much to what the thread starter agrees with.
Thread starter choice. Whats your opinion.

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

Forum mods can still do what their doing but posters can also help them do it too to reduce their moderation loads, especially on long threads that may take a lengthy time to review.
Perhaps using a thread suppression method by posters may be a little less harmful or abuseable by posters. A reply could be suppressed and blocked by a thread starter for a few hours or a day until the reply is visible again. While suppressed the reply would be noted as suppressed and afterwards it would have been noted as have been suppressed. Forum topics could also show that replies have been suppressed and forum mods could easily review those threads seeing that suppression indication.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Sounds too easily abusable. You can have someone who is wrong about something, gets told he is wrong and deletes/suppresses those posts so he can keep on being “right” and not embarrassed by being shown up.

I doubt there are many forums with the feature you suggest. Give a link to one so we can look it over.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

“Disagree and you are gone”

From Discussion Forum to Agreement Forum.

lead to more Threads created that simply addresses another thread which the OP was kicked from because of disagreements.

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

If you had your own forum and software and all, you would have many more options than are available. Custom forum would fall under the suggestion.
Everything is susceptible to abuse. Make some revisions and reduce that susceptibilty.
If the poster doesnt want to be righted, move on to another thread or post a counter thread. Its their topic and initial post.

(edited by Zahld.4956)

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

Sounds like an instance pug doesnt it?

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

“Disagree and you are gone”

From Discussion Forum to Agreement Forum.

lead to more Threads created that simply addresses another thread which the OP was kicked from because of disagreements.

Pretty much yea! We really dont need self moderated threads. It would lead to stupid amounts of abuse.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Which all seems to ignore the fact that Anet seems to have little ability (in house skills perhaps or simply using a closed platform) to make substantial changes to the forum functionality.

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

Those are theoretical abuses. Lets see it in action.
Time to upgrade to a new platform…

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

As if you wouldnt be using it right now to delete some of these comments. Mount threads would delete anyone saying no, Dual threads would delete anyone saying no.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

As if you wouldnt be using it right now to delete some of these comments. Mount threads would delete anyone saying no, Dual threads would delete anyone saying no.

I don’t think he’d be censoring this thread. The conversation isn’t overly constructive but its also not abusive/disrespectful.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

If things went awry, maybe delete a few and suppress a few. Instead of just letting other posters hijack the thread and relying on a mod to kindly police the thread.
If at all that gets done.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is a bad, bad idea. It’s literally inviting trolls to say anything they want, and then remove posts they want. Reddit works by the entire community voting on what stays and goes.

This idea will not work.

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

you still have regular moderators.
well they initiated the thread. it’s not like their remove a post from some other topic creators thread.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

All moot, as the forum software can not be updated in any fashion.

There may, some day, be new and improved forum software. Regardless, I think self-moderated threads would only create sub-forums that moved most topics off the front page at an alarming rate.

Good luck.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Allow each new topic poster to moderate their own thread and remove any replies as needed. This may help the OP better achieve the purpose of their thread. Less frequent thread derailing may also result as an effect. This would also reduce the burden of forum moderators of having to frequently moderate every thread constantly because posters would be able to effectively moderate it themselves. A sub-forum of each forum could be used for self moderating forums.

Forum thread drift is practically a tradition on the net. It happens MUCH less here than elsewhere. Consider the following thread summary from another BB:

server-side change is coming
how this will affect the client-side program
client-side gui
fonts used in the gui
fonts in general
old-style printing presses
lithography
a movie about lithography
[at this point the forum moderator came in and was completely confused as to what happened … and we continued the thread drift]

The drift I have seen here can not hold a candle to that one.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

The derailing is so bad here. And that kind of godly control would be misused everywhere, not just here.

It be nice if they just had a better merging system. I don’t like my new thread being lumped in with a thread about the same topic 2 years ago. I don’t care about the opinions of players from 2 years ago, I want to hear from players who play the game now.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If it can be abused, it will be abused.

We’ve seen it time and again. Doesn’t seem to matter how ‘small’ the flaw is, someone will exploit it to it’s greatest potential. Its sad really, but there are people that intentionally look for those types of things to abuse.

/no thanks

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

forum posts [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

arguments are so convincing and compelling. i hate it too. i agree with the counter arguments. people could never moderate their own topics. what a bad idea. it could never be possible.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Do not put the inmates in charge of the asylum. It never works out.

forum posts [suggestion]

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Bad idea. Just……..no.

Necromancer Main