gamestop doesn't sell physical copy of HOTS?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wokao.7394

Wokao.7394

I just went to gamestop trying to pre-purchase HOTS because I want a physical box. They told me they don’t carry physical box version of HOTS.

But in this link : https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

Under question: Can I pre-purchase through my favorite retailer?

It says: Yes. Starting on June 23, 2015, you’ll be able to pre-purchase boxed and digital editions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our official retail partners .

And when you click on the “official retail partners”, it tells you it’s gamestop.

where can I pre-purchase a boxed version of HOTS?

Posted by: Riranor.6315

Riranor.6315

i was under the impression it was all digital. I think you can preorder through gamestops computer app but i don’t think they’re doing box because the physical copy model is going under and makes less.

Crystal Desert Server, one of each classes at 80
Main Mesmer PVE, Necro and Engineer PVP

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well the FAQ still says that retail box will happen. Just not a pre-purchase box.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

Q: Will this expansion only be available digitally, or will there be a boxed edition as well?

A: Both. Once Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is available, you’ll be able to buy it digitally or get boxed editions at retail stores.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Physical copy? Welcome to the 10’s buddy where we can directly download a game from the comfort of our home. We have Steam and other excellent online stores that outright obsolete places like Gamestop.

Wokao.7394

Physical copy? Welcome to the 10’s buddy where we can directly download a game from the comfort of our home. We have Steam and other excellent online stores that outright obsolete places like Gamestop.

Well, I’d like to put all my games on the game shelf because they are nice to look at and I want HOTS to be among them.

Behellagh.1468

It’s not like GameStop carries PC games anyways. Other than the new hot FPSer the rest they have are busted up boxes of shovelware and dead MMOs (as in they closed). Maybe 6-9 linear feet on one side of one of their rolling shelves. GameStop’s business model is reselling console games and getting people to slap down money on a pre-order and hope they lose the receipt.

Honestly Target has a better selection of box PC games.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I’ve had bad experiences with GameStop. I wouldn’t buy the physical copy from them, anyway, because they open the boxes (and it says right on the box not to buy it if the box has been opened). Who knows if the code in your game is still valid or if the employee scrawled it down and used it themselves.

I also think it sure would be nice to buy a physical copy. (I actually just wish they’d release the art book again, or a new art book…any art book). But I would never buy anything from GameStop. Never.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I understand I’m in the minority, but I do like to pay CASH for physical things.

I’m old fashioned like that.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can definitely get physical copies of HoT, see the example below from Game in the UK (I’ve also seen it in HMV).

Although the box just contains a key to add the expansion to your account, there’s no extras for getting the boxed version.

I wouldn’t assume Gamestop don’t do it just because one person said that. If it’s anything like stores I’ve worked in they probably weren’t told anything official, they just know people ask for it, they don’t have it, you can get it online and they made an educated guess at the reason.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

While we are on this topic, if we did pre-purchase in-game, where do we download come release?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

While we are on this topic, if we did pre-purchase in-game, where do we download come release?

Since its not a separate game I assume it will use the same launcher and there will just be a very big patch on release day. Or several patches in the run up to it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Behellagh.1468

I would say that the only reason we haven’t had any map leaks is because ANet doesn’t want to prepatch the game in the weeks and days leading up to the game going live.

So while we all are waiting hours to play, just remember to blame the dataminers on reddit.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

actually, a part of HoT are already downloaded through the last few updates.

There may be a patch on release day. But you have already been downloading it.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Well, I’d like to put all my games on the game shelf because they are nice to look at and I want HOTS to be among them.

Did you ask them for “Heart of Thorns” or did you ask for “HOTS?” Because the latter is Heroes of the Storm and they may have gotten confused.

Wokao.7394

Did you ask them for “Heart of Thorns” or did you ask for “HOTS?” Because the latter is Heroes of the Storm and they may have gotten confused.

Don’t worry, I asked correctly …by the way, it could also mean “heart of the swarm”.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The first problem is you still shop at gamestop…

Posted by: WuGzaGenius.5684

WuGzaGenius.5684

I didn’t know gamestop is still in business…

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Same as normal. All you would need to do is add the key from the box to the account, and when the update hits the launcher should auto-download. Granted just speculation.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I bought the original game from Gamestop and I want to buy the expansion from Gamestop. I like to get up from my PC and stretch my legs by going OUTDOORS some times. You know that place, it’s up your mom’s staircase that leaves her basement.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Behellagh.1468

And when the game is released we should be seeing a retail box but pre-purchase is digital only, not that any physical copy of the game won’t get patched up the wazoo upon starting after the local install.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I find this quite strange. Gamestop does have the pre-purchase boxes on the shelf here in Finland. Then again, so do the department stores and hypermarkets.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I got mine from Amazon UK. It came as a standard DVD box with absolutely nothing in it except a single piece of paper with the unlock code on it. So it is sort-of a physical copy but not really. The main reason I bought it from there is because it was 5 quid cheaper than the official store.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I would say that the only reason we haven’t had any map leaks is because ANet doesn’t want to prepatch the game in the weeks and days leading up to the game going live.

So while we all are waiting hours to play, just remember to blame the dataminers on reddit.

I hate to break it to you, but you can use that online source that loads up map data and look at most of Heart of Thorns right now. People have been doing that for a while. The resources for the release are regularly being pushed out to all of us. I’m sure they’ll finalize some things right before release and it will probably still be a patch, but lots of the data is already on your PC.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Zeebok.1460

Zeebok.1460

So…did anyone have anything useful or are you just here to belittle the OP? I would also like a boxed copy for my self, spare me your opinions please.

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

Welcome to Steam and other digital game-selling platforms, buddy, where you’ll never truly own the games you paid for, and where they’re not obligated to provide you with another copy of a title should something happen. You bought it through Steam, it’s on a games library that’s part of Steam. Heck, sometimes you can’t even play certain games outside of Steam. Steam practically owns half of “your” stuff.

Yeah, I’ll take physical purchases any day.

(edited by Avectius.3271)

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

I hate to break it to you

How come?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Welcome to Steam and other digital game-selling platforms, buddy, where you’ll never truly own the games you paid for, and where they’re not obligated to provide you with another copy of a title should something happen. You bought it through Steam, it’s on a games library that’s part of Steam. Heck, sometimes you can’t even play certain games outside of Steam. Steam practically owns half of “your” stuff.

Yeah, I’ll take physical purchases any day.

If game has online drm activation (almost all of them) you don’t really own it even if you have the cd.

@OP from what I heard boxed copy only contains HoT key which must be activated online. I would not bother with boxed copy since you don’t even get a cd.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I hate to break it to you

How come?

He just seemed so sure of himself and confident as he blamed all the evil reddit data miners. I’m not some kind of monster that just loves shattering illusions and knocking down incorrect assumptions…

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

If there is a boxed copy of the game it will most likely not have any type of loadable media in it like a DVDs. It will just have a key that you enter to unlock HoT for those looking for a disk good luck PC Games are starting to get away from the need of a disk with the internet you really don’t need a disk any more. Yes some have slow or limited internet but you will just have to work around those limitations.

It has been suggested that Anet release the game on a GuildWars themed Flash drive I think this is a good idea flash drive are cheap and reliable plus they could add an In game utility to keep a running backup of the game in case you need to reload for some reason. I would buy one even though I already have the game and if they made different figure shaped drives they would sell a ton just because people would want to collect them.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It has been suggested that Anet release the game on a GuildWars themed Flash drive I think this is a good idea flash drive are cheap and reliable plus they could add an In game utility to keep a running backup of the game in case you need to reload for some reason. I would buy one even though I already have the game and if they made different figure shaped drives they would sell a ton just because people would want to collect them.

Interesting. I really like this idea.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.