guild prison

guild prison

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Reikan.2908

Reikan.2908

one thing i have always had a problem with when it comes to guild is that the large majority of guilds have the kind of philosophy of “contribute to us don’t help anyone else so we can be the strongest”.
And even the guilds that don’t neccesarily think that way don’t generally encourage getting to know people outside the guild unless it is to recruit them.

So because of this so many people will never end up talking to so many other people that play this game and i just think its a bit dissapointing.

guild prison

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

I think it’s more of an issue with how this MMO and some others, were set up. You can play solo, except for harder content like dungeons, etc. I recall in FFXI, when it first came out (Don’t know about it now, been 4-5 years since I played it), I knew more people, because to get past level 10, you HAD to have a party. So you were almost “forced” to get to know others outside of your guild in order to advance through the game.

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

guild prison

Posted by: Trantzz.4160

Trantzz.4160

I think it’s more of an issue with how this MMO and some others, were set up. You can play solo, except for harder content like dungeons, etc. I recall in FFXI, when it first came out (Don’t know about it now, been 4-5 years since I played it), I knew more people, because to get past level 10, you HAD to have a party. So you were almost “forced” to get to know others outside of your guild in order to advance through the game.

Unless you were a Dragoon and no one would party with you!!

This statement alone makes GW2 such a better experience for me. I miss some of the group dynamic but being dependent on others to progress was the worst.

guild prison

Posted by: Reikan.2908

Reikan.2908

yeah it nice that you have so many options to advance yourself.
but of course you are still dependent with somethings (bosses etc.) not that its neccesarily a bad thing

just wish more people played for fun which is always an issue in MMOs, people comparing themselves to others based on gear. when in reality its just down to how much time you put in

guild prison

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I’ve had quite the opposite experience actually…teaching people, levelling them, helping them and in general trying to make their gameplay as enjoyable as possible…only to have them leave for a raiding guild a week after they dinged max level.

You can’t have a great guild without dedicated members, and I for one would rather have all the leechers and passives join some other guild instead of wasting my time.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

guild prison

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

one thing i have always had a problem with when it comes to guild is that the large majority of guilds have the kind of philosophy of “contribute to us don’t help anyone else so we can be the strongest”.
And even the guilds that don’t neccesarily think that way don’t generally encourage getting to know people outside the guild unless it is to recruit them.

So because of this so many people will never end up talking to so many other people that play this game and i just think its a bit dissapointing.

Sounds like you’ve just had bad guilds, to be honest, but it’s really not up to your guild to get you to meet new people anyway.

There are plenty of guilds that aren’t elitist and have no problem with you making friends outside the guild – some of them even help smaller guilds with missions and such on a regular basis. There are plenty of nice players regardless of what guild you’re in; just because you’re in a certain guild and they’re not doesn’t mean you can’t interact with them…and if for some reason your guild(s) want you to shun everyone who’s not in them, you really need a new guild.

I often see people talking to non-guildmates in map chat, at world bosses/open world events, and even in WvW. I don’t do dungeons much, but I expect some people make friends from LFG runs as well. All that hinders your meeting people outside your guild is you, really. Sure, you can just socialize within your guild, but that’s true of any game. If anything, it’s easier in GW2, since you can join more than one guild.

Edit: Also, I don’t know if every server has this, or just the bigger ones, but some have server forums where people from all kinds of guilds congregate and socialize. Honestly, this is like, the friendliest game I’ve ever played.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

guild prison

Posted by: Deinos Elessar.6789

Deinos Elessar.6789

I can’t undestand why pple want to join a lot of guilds.
Srsly….and they also complain that guilds want members who represent.

Stay in a guild where you can make new friends and have a good time with them!
Why be in a guild if you do not represent more than 20% of your time?
I can’t imagine to log in a guild where a lot of members do not represent!
It is so sad….

Attachments:

Server: Piken Square
Guild: Cavalieri Del Destino [CDD]
Guild Site: http://www.cavalierideldestino.com/

guild prison

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

We encourage our guild members to join other guilds if they want. We are all pretty good friends and there are other guilds that help many of our guildies get what they cannot get in our guild.

We are mainly a Dungeon/Fractal and a lot of PvE guild. Some of our members love WvW and we encourage them to join a WvW focused guild if they want to play more WvW.

Some of our members have goals that we don’t. Many of us do not care if we beat Tequatl or the Wurms in Bloodtide. So we encourage those that want that to join a guild like TTS.

It all depends on your guilds perspective and how secure they are with their membership.

guild prison

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I can’t undestand why pple want to join a lot of guilds.
Srsly….and they also complain that guilds want members who represent.

Stay in a guild where you can make new friends and have a good time with them!
Why be in a guild if you do not represent more than 20% of your time?
I can’t imagine to log in a guild where a lot of members do not represent!
It is so sad….

I have a guild for Guild Commendations, I rep and play with them once a week to get those done, that’s the purpose of the entire guild, it’s nice.

I also have a guild that does those and world bosses, I’d rep only when doing those with them.

Then I have a personal guild bank guild.

Then I have my close group of friends as another guild which is what I usually rep (when I don’t forget to swap back from my personal bank).

I would fill it out with a WvW guild, but I hear most of those are 100% rep which to me is silly considering the system Anet gave us allowing multiple guilds so we can have a guild for every area of the game.

Just seems like the 5 guild thing allows me to have specialized guilds. Not sure why a WvW guild would care if I rep my other guild when I’m pounding out dungeons. Or why would a world boss/GC guild care if I rep them in WvW? stuff like that. They gave us a great system, but lots of people seem against it as if the typical 1 guild system is better… which I simply don’t understand.

guild prison

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

in the long and short end the GW2 multi guild system is usless who ever though it up and decided to change it form the system that worked in GW1 should be fired