guild wars 3?

guild wars 3?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

While obviously none of us know anet’s exact plans, especially this far out, I was wondering what people thought of the potential for a GW3 at some point. Do you think it will happen? Why or why not? If yes, when do you think it might happen?

The existing content is a bit static. It would be nice to see a re-imagined world. For example, maybe an Orr that was cleaned up again. Inhabited by Tengu (now a playable race) maybe.

Most of this is just curiosity as to what other people think. Although part of it is the idea of being on the eventual ‘ground floor’ of a game being appealing.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It would be so far off as to be something no one will be thinking of. The potential in GW2 is huge and we’ve seen that old MMO’s, when successful can go on for nearly 15 years in some cases. There’s no reason to believe a GW3 is on the horizon when they haven’t scratched the surface of this game. What can GW3 bring beyond some re-styling? Sure it can add new tech like DX12 compatability, but then ppl will be clamouring for the next tech anyway regardless.

MMO’s also take quite a lot longer to make/develop. To even release in the next 5 years or so would require them to be working on it now. GW2 went through a long and drawn out development process as it was.

I would be surprised to see a GW3 within the next decade. Or perhaps they will take a leaf out of Valve’s book and decide that “3” should never happen…

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

The only reason we have GW2 is because they were unable to do what they wanted with the game engine from the original, so that had to start over with GW2. I would say the same would be true if we were to see a GW3.

AS it is now, they have the tools they need to accomplish what they wish, so, for the foreseeable future, I do not think we will be seeing a GW3.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

guild wars 3?

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I don’t think its going to happen any time soon. If you ask me the golden age of mmorpgs is over. People expect too much, they cost too much to make, they cant charge to player much money. Really tough to make a AAA mmorpg these days.

I feel that most of the major investment into making these games was done in the hopes of achieving warcrafts level of success, none came even close. So were seeing a lot less, really none, of the past trend of seeing a major mmorpg launch every year.

I think this is why blizzard chose to double down on wow rather than continue development of their new game, that was a big sign that were going to see less, if any new big budget mmorpg games, which would include a gw3.

I could see them making a single player or co-op RPG that’s story driven for gw3, those tend to still make a lot of money.

I really don’t think they are going to go with another mmorpg after this, froma business stand point, mmorpgs are pretty risky to make. Before I came here I kicked around a few Korean free to play games, the newer ones. Had it been 2000-2008 these games would have been packed full of players, but they were all completely dead, scary dead. The demographic that these games use to cater to are instead playing MOBA games.

I would be very surprised if Anet had any play at all to make another AAA mmorpg. Would be a better investment to continue developing this game and hope maybe things change and mmorpgs start to become popular like they once were. I think there still is a big market for these games, just that there has been a flood of them made in the last 15 years. Like I said people expect too much and to pay almost nothing…yet expect the game to get incredible post launch support and development, which is very expensive to do, and its so easy for a mmorpg to start the downward spiral, and these games are not fun and not profitable to cater to small niche crowds.

• the only real chance of a resurgence of big budget mmorpgs is going to be console gaming systems. I know they saved a few games that saw huge interest with console gamers while their pc market was looking grim (see ESO and FFXIV)

(edited by StrangerDanger.3496)

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Realizer.6120

Realizer.6120

Nope won’t happen, at this rate with the fails this month, we will be lucky to see anything further than HoT. NCSoft won’t give them the money for a 3rd game, especially with BnS launching soon. GW2 will now have to work off it’s own budget, and they can’t even get sales and weekend events done right anymore. lol

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

These games cost millions to design and then run. To make gw3 would be to abandon a sure thing and…. for what? Is there something the Devs want that this game can’t do? They abandoned gw1 because they had a vision of a new game that wasn’t obtainable within the old game’s framework. No one has ever hinted this is happening again.

Maybe when this game is elderly, there are amazing new engines out there and they have a new vision of a new game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

I see little future in MMOs , at least like GW2 or WOW or similar games like this.
And thats simply because essentially they are all the same , which is kill a monster, and then get a reward.
Risnse and repeat.
Now this isnt the fault of the Game Devs, its the fault of the players who seem to want this style of play, but it severly limits what can be done.
When I played WOW for many years, I didnt kill anything but instead simply played the games economy by buying and selling stuff on the various auction houses.
WOW has by far the best economy, but even doing this after a while simply got dull.
I simply cant see what can be done to make MMOs better.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I don’t think so at least in this decade. Two generations after Volta it might come out or have news about it. Either that or GW2 will receive such a huge overhaul it’ll practically be GW3. They’re using the dinosaur DirectX9 and a 32-bit client (why Anet why?) but even low end cards in the Volta generation will trivially run this game at 8k (not including bandwidth limitations from ISPs of course get a CAT 7 or 8 cable to prepare just in case)

What does this mean? While GW2 is a beautiful game in many places there’s still room for improvement especially as far as optimization goes. Your average PC gamer these days is already socking money away for Pascal (raises hand) or Arctic Island cards, and the GTX 1080 will sell out like hotcakes on the first day.

If there is a GW3 (or graphical and engine overhaul to be completely up to date) I hope they work with Nvidia, Intel, and maybe AMD to ensure for everyone an optimal experience.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think we’re far more likely to see a non MMORPG companion game to go with the Guild Wars franchise than we are to see GW3.

Imagine a tactics game (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea) based on some of the more violent times in Tyria’s history. It could be placed in the Guild Wars themselves, or maybe in modern times with you as a Pact Commander in the battles against the Elder Dragons. Level up and improve your units, recruit rare units (ohh, a Tengu archer!), and maybe even trade rare units and equipment with other players. (PvP possible as well.)

Then, they can link it to GW2 much like they did GW1, allowing the games to unlock some items or features on each other.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

The only reason we have GW2 is because they were unable to do what they wanted with the game engine from the original, so that had to start over with GW2. I would say the same would be true if we were to see a GW3.

AS it is now, they have the tools they need to accomplish what they wish, so, for the foreseeable future, I do not think we will be seeing a GW3.

If that was the case then it is hilarious. GW2 runs on GW1 engine so they basically went from one rake field to another.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

If anything, GW3 will be the point in time when all the dragons are dead and whatever is supposed to happen when there is way too much magic around.

Or if the dragons and the gods are related in some way, we will next have to fight the gods themselves for Tyria.

Only two scenarios that would even warrant another sequel.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think we’re far more likely to see a non MMORPG companion game to go with the Guild Wars franchise than we are to see GW3.

Imagine a tactics game (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea) based on some of the more violent times in Tyria’s history. It could be placed in the Guild Wars themselves, or maybe in modern times with you as a Pact Commander in the battles against the Elder Dragons. Level up and improve your units, recruit rare units (ohh, a Tengu archer!), and maybe even trade rare units and equipment with other players. (PvP possible as well.)

Then, they can link it to GW2 much like they did GW1, allowing the games to unlock some items or features on each other.

Not a bad idea, although I’d ditch levels entirely because level scaling defeats the purpose of leveling to begin with.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Nope won’t happen, at this rate with the fails this month, we will be lucky to see anything further than HoT. NCSoft won’t give them the money for a 3rd game, especially with BnS launching soon. GW2 will now have to work off it’s own budget, and they can’t even get sales and weekend events done right anymore. lol

A little over dramatic, are you not?

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

You know nothing! GW3 will pick up terminator parody story from GW1 in which charr send robots from the future to kill Gwen. We will get Commando class and it will be more OP than ele and mesmer combined.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

they have to add sandbox stuff, we see that in newest versions of online games (not entirely mmos)… built it ur self, etc…

the guild halls is a start, but is going to be a premade?… who knows.

gw2 forums dont have any suggestion section… I ve made once a suggestion. Singe guild halls are like small villages, we could modify them the way we want… Drops of rare npcs (as items/decorations) to place them inside our halls, also traps, etc and with group finder thing.. to turn our halls into dungeons with timing, so if the opposite team lose, we win and unpredictable. Thats sandbox.

MMO theme parks cannot survive for long if they dont invest money all the time… Sandbox mmos can survive in the long term.

(edited by Oyranos.9750)

guild wars 3?

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

As others said, GW2 was only made because the GW1 engine was extremely limited in what they could do with it. To fix GW1 required such a massive overhaul that they basically had to start over completely. GW2 doesn’t really have that issue unless some really new idea comes along.

They’ll likely just keep making expansions until people stop buying them just like WoW.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: ThreeFeetOfMagic.4529

ThreeFeetOfMagic.4529

Blade and Soul wont challenge anything. Me and my fiance played the Chinese and Russian servers and even a few private servers for about a year and it is honestly kinda bland. It was a cool concept and those who have been waiting for it and were hardcore fans of it have already played it heavily on other servers. It was to little to late for NCsoft to make Blade and Soul successful here.

The fails of this month ? A sale that double the gem shard rate with how many people bought stuff from it? The event itself was not horrible. Many people found it rather enjoyable. The issue with the event was they didn’t think the rewards out very well for the low levels on the fact those rewards required gold. Also the bug at the start did kind of suck.

guild wars 3?

Menadena.7482

Interestingly, second life is building an entirely new engine for their next offering. Nit counting updates over the years, the server software is not too different in overall structure from what existed in their 2005 beta.

The GW2 engine is newer so there should be no need to rebuild it yet. The problems are of generating content and if said content should be part of a new game or replace existing content (like LA did a few times). If they do introduce major new content to GW2 it might be a good idea to first think of a ‘wish list’ for GW3 and how existing content would map to it. While it would be a different world enough would be the same that you would not want to be reinventing the wheel.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

The only reason we have GW2 is because they were unable to do what they wanted with the game engine from the original, so that had to start over with GW2.

… by reusing the GW1 engine? That makes little sense.

I’d rather say that they wanted to get away from the game-systems of GW1 which while good could not appeal to a mass audience (GW1 was made for the back-then-tiny gamer audience, GW2 is made for the modern-everyone-is-in-it gamer audience).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

You know nothing! GW3 will pick up terminator parody story from GW1 in which charr send robots from the future to kill Gwen. We will get Commando class and it will be more OP than ele and mesmer combined.

Commando comes with the shoulder canon from Predator, along with the permanent stealth ability and heat signature headpiece.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

guild wars 3?

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Look, making one mmorpg and sticking with it, is what everyone should have been doing with their games from the start. Porting older games into new game engines to keep up with the times, adding content on top of content….continually fixing them.

Warcraft has it right. They abandoned their big budget next gen mmorpg and started working kitten their only mmorpg. That’s how you do it. Think if Everquest never made a sequel but instead ported the first game into a modern engine and kept adding to it, same with ultima online….

I think a lot of mmorpgs would have fared far better ignoring the trending “gimmicks” of making a full sequel, that did worse than the original usually every time.

So what they should do with GW2 is start slowly working on a DX12 64 bit client. Keep doing expansions with new areas, classes, weapon types. Fixing old bugs. Polishing the game.

Then once the game starts to really show its age, and the new client has been worked on for a long time, and polished, and tested….port over to what would have otherwise been GW3 a game that fractured the GW audience, as GW2 did to 1…and instead pumped more life into a game everyone was already playing and liked.

Just keep piling on content and polishing. Work on the next gen engine for the game to keep it modern. That’s it. No need to keep pumping out new games every 5 years or whatever. I think of a lot of games that were major hits and their sequel more or less took an extremely successful company and made them near bankrupt.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

hmmm….. what?
Anet didn’t reuse the gw1 engine! They worked ~2 years only on the gw2 engine. This engine has NOTHING todo with gw1.

And the engine was the main reason for gw2, because some things like jumping or the dynamic events or char moveing+fireing was just not possible with the gw1 engine. Since the gw2 announcement basically everything in gw2 has been build around the new engine possibilities.
Like jumping puzzles to show of the jumping capabilities, or pvp which got build around the dynamics movement system, or events as the ‘new’ way instead of quests, or the dynamic personal story scenes (which aren’t used in the newer gw2 content anymore, because some dev said they are a big load of work).

If you look at 5-6 years old informations and videos about gw2, you will find out that most innovation and most design concepts were and still are based on the new gw2 engine.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I think gw2 will last longer then then gw1, so Gw3 is long out.

Gw2 is already harder (takes more effort to bug fix, cause more complex ghraphics/skills (jumping/dodging etc). Content wise (weither you like that content or not) gw2 base game is huge, but there’s so much room to (perhaps slowly – see HoT) improve, and create new content.

Also the graphics, while not perfect, are (for an mmo) on a very high level. It would really tear down graphic cards, if they release a gw3 (it’s no use to make gw3 if it isn’t very renewing on graphics). Hardware has stagnated (less competition, nanometer procedures almost cannot be more improve – thus made smaller). With this in mind, and the way how windows will evolve, I doubt renewing mmo’s, is the way to go. Even wow is still the same old engine, and it’s older then gw2.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

hmmm….. what?
Anet didn’t reuse the gw1 engine! They worked ~2 years only on the gw2 engine. This engine has NOTHING todo with gw1.

And the engine was the main reason for gw2, because some things like jumping or the dynamic events or char moveing+fireing was just not possible with the gw1 engine. Since the gw2 announcement basically everything in gw2 has been build around the new engine possibilities.
Like jumping puzzles to show of the jumping capabilities, or pvp which got build around the dynamics movement system, or events as the ‘new’ way instead of quests, or the dynamic personal story scenes (which aren’t used in the newer gw2 content anymore, because some dev said they are a big load of work).

If you look at 5-6 years old informations and videos about gw2, you will find out that most innovation and most design concepts were and still are based on the new gw2 engine.

GW2 runs on GW1 engine. They modified it to get jumping and combat to work but it is still the same engine.

guild wars 3?

Menadena.7482

Hardware has not stagnated as much as you think. Yes, the rate of things getting better has slowed but it has not stopped.

To go back to the new engine that Linden Lab (the owner of second life) is working on, it will have better graphics but there are no immediate plans to move it to phone. Obviously you could not put a huge game engine on a phone as they exist now. They DO have it in their long-range roadmap for when phone hardware starts to be able to handle it. Industries have learned that if something will take several years to code you should take a reasonable guess at average specs (barring some radical innovation) by then and plan for a bit less than that rather than constraining yourself to what exists now.

For example, I have learned that my apples rarely die. Only one did …. several years after a fan did. One outlasted several clock batteries before I finally recycled it. Which means I do not buy the specs I need today but what I will wish I bought several years from now. Basically, I turn up all the knobs to 11 and get the best cpu, gpu, memory, ssd, etc that are available to me now.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

i think it could be a good idea. i think it could be successfull.
i highly doubt it will ever happend.

the reason i think it could be a good idea and successfull is because if anet actually learned from gw2 and the mistakes in it and truly improved all the bad concept and features while adding new and good once, while keeping some of the awesome stuff that is here.
it could really be an awesome game.

however i doubt they would do this because as it is looking gw2 is not a big successfull and there are major issue’s with have gone ignored since release.
the devs have shown an extreme unwillingness to learn from their mistakes and better/change the features which is truly a problem of the game..
so i doubt they would do it…

but maybe once gw2 have completely outlived its existance they will try to, just to give it a shot, or maybe sell of the ip if they can ^^

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

hmmm….. what?

Yah they did. Heavily modified, but the basis is the same engine.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2#cite_note-8
Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system. It uses Havok to provide destructible environment and ragdoll animation of creatures and Umbra’s occlusion culling technology.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Some new engine tech so that the engine doesnt CPU choke all the time, decent content and meaningfull events where Anet doesnt go full kitten (ie not like the Mordrem invasion) would be enough to last GW2 a long, long time, at least from consumer perspective.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

I doubt there will be a GW3, so many reasons why not, and not many pros for it. As for Blade and Soul (NA), I’ll be playing it. I love the art work in that game. I love beautiful games which is why I play GW2.

As for MMOs, the time for sub MMOs is gone. There are too many free ones to compete with paid ones. The time for MMOs is not gone, but there will be a smaller audience since most players share their time with many MMOs. You can play all the free ones and find the few or several you like and play them. How WOW keeps its audience, I have no idea. I played it for about 4 months and got bored rather quickly.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

If a GW3 was released instead of HoT I would ritualisticly burn my GW2 disc and kitten on it, afterwards I would dance around it. Would also scream from the highest places that Anet will screw you over into ascending planes.

bitterness aside, the GW2 coregame (all the stuff without LS1-2 garbage) is highest tier mmo stuff. LS 1 and 2 (content wise, time of implementing, timespan) was the most atrocious kitten I have played in the 16 years Ive been playing videogames. Its why Im happy with an expansion since Anet can make good content at its core, just not in smale pieces, they suck XXXXXXL at that.

And if a GW3 was launched after 2 years of garbage, (kept playing because THIS GAME IS GETTING CARRIED BY ITS COMBAT SYSTEM) Id be livid.
Not saying the current fights in PvE are anywhere near good but its potential is so high.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its a shame that most ppl are taking this as an if “worst happens i am allowed to think and say crazy things.” So i will take this more as of can Anet make a GW3. Is Anet able to put the time into another GW game or is GW2 the last major game from them is the real question. I do not know enofe about Anet and there wants to make new things with GW or other games. I think Anet only has made 2 games at this point with a big time in between. I have a feeling that GW2 may be it for GW if we do see another game come from Anet its going to be comply different it may not even be an mmorpg (as mmorpg and most old game types are going away becuse of smart phones.)

If they did it would need to be a few things a continuation of the story say 100+ years into the story where the events of GW2 is the past. Something major would have to happen so maybe a big rift in where the world of GW is broken up think fractals but in the open world. All of this can be done in an expansion for GW2 just a time travel expansion.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Depending how much of a time skipped, I expect it to be more futuristic than the current timeline.

guild wars 3?

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Looking at the map, there appears to be a lot of space left to expand this game’s world. Why toss out everything when some serious attention to story development and to engine improvements could yet make GW2 shine. I fear the devs might be pushing burnout with getting HoT ready so I do not expect anything to happen for a least a year after HoT releases. GW2.5 might be a better goal than a totally new GW3.

This game may not appeal to what some people want to see in a game but I suspect there is a silent core of players who like this style of game. People who I play with (at least most of the people I play with) avoid these forums like it was a plague. If I find one or two interesting topics a day, I feel like I won $5 in the lottery… nice but not earth-shattering. I wonder if all the complaining I read here is generally felt by the majority of the community or just a very noisy minority. It would be interesting to see how an analysis of active posters versus average player logins would come out. But I stray off topic yet again…

guild wars 3?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I can’t honestly see a reason to move to a whole new game at this point. Arenanet has demonstrated a willingness with living world, feature patches, and HoT to reinvent the wheel within the framework of GW2 again and again.

If they were to add massive new systems, like say some seamless sandbox style thing, or some strategy game like element, or other massively different gameplay system, I’d bet they’d retrofit or add on to GW2 with that element.

The only reason they’d have any incentive to start on a new game at this point is if they wanted to fundamentally change the core gameplay, meaning reinvent the combat system.

The only reason GW2 exists in the first place was that the idea of a persistent world game, more like mainstream MMOs, simply couldn’t be grafted on to the structure of how GW1 worked, not in a technical sense but in a design sense. The game was designed from the ground up to be a series of instances, and all of the skills, classes, and other systems worked around that. It would have been impossible to take GW1’s character systems and move them to a persistent world as the game was fundamentally designed around the idea of swapping builds in towns, a strong linear narrative, and all content being designed around a specific party size.

GW2 is a much more fluid design. The characters are designed to have functionality in both solo and group content, and the engine is designed to support both persistence and instancing, so there’s no real reason to start from scratch again unless they were to move to a vastly different design.

Arenanet has siad, consistantly, again and again, that they’re more interested in evolving GW2 and making it continually relevant through things like the living story and large feature additions, and that they consider themselves committed to being a one game company.

GW2 is supposed to be the result of what they learned about unsustainability from GW1, and their track record on GW2 shows they’d rather make even huge changes to its framework than to toss it out ans start over again at a considerably higher cost.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

guild wars 3?

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Nah, gw2 has pretty much killed off any hopes for gw3, but that’s ok, something new will come eventually as it always does