gw2 dropping to #19??? where are the players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Fixing the forum.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Well we can’t deny that the playerbase gets less and less which is pretty normal before a new xpac. But don’t panic, such threads come and go every now and then and is common in every online game.

That said, I think it is a very bad tactic/decision to be so secretive towards player numbers. I think it’s an Asia thing, so NCSoft wants to prevent bad publicity if player count drops.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

Well we can’t deny that the playerbase gets less and less which is pretty normal before a new xpac. But don’t panic, such threads come and go every now and then and is common in every online game.

That said, I think it is a very bad tactic/decision to be so secretive towards player numbers. I think it’s an Asia thing, so NCSoft wants to prevent bad publicity if player count drops.

If Arena net is making great efforts, making serious changes to repair and improve the game: there should not be any thing to be shame of.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Games always have fewer players 3 years after launch than they do six months after.

Minecraft, WoW and LoL are just a few where this doesn’t hold true.

tldr; Pointing to two extraordinary exceptions doesn’t invalidate a post you’re responding to.

I would have to disagree when the post I respond to says “all games”. All it would take is one exception to invalidate his entire post. If he would have said most or almost all I would have read it and nodded my head in agreement.

I was incautious in my wording. To keep the post brief, I used the common expression in English of “all” meaning “just about all, except for some extraordinary exceptions which were took place for short periods of time, for reasons that don’t apply to the vast majority of games.” I did not mean “all” in the mathematical sense, where, as the respondent noted, a single exception would be enough to invalidate a logical statement.

The point of my early reply is to say it’s typical for games to lose some players over 3 years. Therefore the fact of a reduction isn’t notable by itself. The important thing to look it is by how many and how that compares with other, similar games. The original source for the data (and the original article that references it) doesn’t have enough information to tell us this and therefore it’s not quite useless in establishing whether there’s an important trend.

tl;dr There’s nothing unusual about GW2 having fewer players today.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I had to look it up , and I’ll leave it here in case anyone else is old.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I had to look it up , and I’ll leave it here in case anyone else is old.

Thanks, what I find funny is that it supports a lot of old stuff, who uses XFire or ICQ anymore?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Although how many players are on Raptr isn’t a clear indication to the actual game population, there is one thing you should all consider. Guild Wars 2 used to be way higher than #19, in the top 5. Dropping from 5 to 19 on Raptr means Raptr users stopped playing GW2, but the Raptr player base is very large so you could say it’s a good sample so that drop in Raptr players means there is also a drop in actual players.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

where are the players?

1. Lack of Solution
2. Lack of Communication
3. Lack of Listening
4. Lack of Innovation
5. Lack Of Attention
6. Lack Of Understanding
8. Lack of Appreciation
6. Lack of Quality Service
7. Lack of Care
8. Lack of Learning
9. Lack of Motivation

A. Taking Players For Granted
B. Repeated Mistakes
C. Empty Words
D. Empty Promises
E. Over Promise
F. Under Deliver
G.Too Many Complications
H. Bad Customer Service
I. Don’t Care About Players’ Needs
J. Fail To Deliver On Their Promises
K. Show No Genuine Care
L. Blame The Process For Poor Service
M. Blame The System For Poor Service
N. Making Up Excuses About Why Things Can’t Get Done
O. Not Being Honest
P. Poor Treatments To Players
Q. Not Working With Players For Solutions
R. Not Giving Players A Reason To Return

All of the above?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Although how many players are on Raptr isn’t a clear indication to the actual game population, there is one thing you should all consider. Guild Wars 2 used to be way higher than #19, in the top 5. Dropping from 5 to 19 on Raptr means Raptr users stopped playing GW2, but the Raptr player base is very large so you could say it’s a good sample so that drop in Raptr players means there is also a drop in actual players.

In December 2014 (as far back as I can find) Guild Wars 2 was #14 on Raptor. To say it’s dropped even ten spots in that time without an expansion is expected. It has definitely dropped because people take breaks between expansions. When the expansion hits it’ll go up again.

I’ve been following Raptr for at least a year, and I never remember Guild Wars 2 being in the top 10.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Q: Where are all the players?
A: Not on Raptr

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Raptr is an abysmal metric to use, given that most gamers will go out of their way to ensure bloated app trackers like Raptr don’t go anywhere near their systems.

Yes, it comes bundled as an optional aspect of AMD’s CCC package, but I and everyone I know using AMD GPU’s ensure it doesn’t install using custom install options.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Might as well pull numbers from people who play GW2 through Steam, as they would be equally as useful.

(and yes I know you would have to go out of your way to add GW2 to your Steam library and then start it through Steam, that’s the point)

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: wetwillyhip.7254

wetwillyhip.7254

I didn’t even know what Raptr was until this post.
I obviously think this is not a very accurate 3rd party system to measure the GW2 active playerbase.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I don’t think there is an accurate way to measure active playerbases when it comes to MMOs unless the developing company releases that information. Off the top of my head I can only think of Eve online and WoW that actually give information on how many people play their game.
People end up basing population off of sites like raptr, twitch and other trends because they having nothing else to go on.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Games always have fewer players 3 years after launch than they do six months after.

WoW has lost 44% of its subscribers in the last year and is down to 5.6 million. It’s close to 2006 numbers.

WoW subscriber base hits all time low since 2006

WoW got a new system were you can pay for gold some store item (same price as sub fee)that give you 30 days of subscription,that item may explain some of the sub drop.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

WoW has lost 44% of its subscribers in the last year and is down to 5.6 million. It’s close to 2006 numbers.

WoW subscriber base hits all time low since 2006

WoW got a new system were you can pay for gold some store item (same price as sub fee)that give you 30 days of subscription,that item may explain some of the sub drop.

Nah, those count as subscribers. The sub drop is because the WoD expansion was the worst expansion WoW has ever released. It was good for PvE players, but chased away the pvp players. fortunately, Legion looks great for PvP players where they are balancing pvp and pve skills separately. New honor system doesn’t look too shabby either.
Wod was good for raiders and bad for PvP players and casuals, which is why they saw a huge sub drop.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Because everyone uses Raptr.

OF COURSE WE DO.

Now . . . what’s Raptr?

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

WP (Youtuber who does mainly GW2 news) said that the viewership of his channel went up as of late, so that would suggest renewed interest for the game, but renewed interest is probably for the expansion so I don’t expect that to translate into daily logins.

I mean, I myself keep an interested eye on the expansion, but I haven’t logged in a month or two.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Raptr’s note at the bottom of the page concerning their ‘top games’ chart…..

“Note: The Share number by each game represents that title’s gameplay time as a percentage of the total time spent on all the PC games played by Raptr members, and is useful for comparing the relative amount of play time between particular games.”

So obviously, since Raptr members aren’t playing GW2 much, this must mean that the entire gaming world is following suit.

That is about as dependable as someone coming on here, announcing that they’re quitting, and because of just that, the game is dying.

Good one…….lol

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Who cares? If you enjoy playing the game then continue having fun at it and don’t pay attention to what others think. (See my sig).

Raptr is malware that sneaks in on top of Radeon driver updates and in no way can dictate to me the population or quality of my MMO experiences.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Zizuelle.5039

Zizuelle.5039

do you even realise what your posting?

i had quick look and it obviously states ALL games including complete different genre off games, again i looked down the top 20 list and seems to me gw2 is nr2 mmo game after WoW so u cant complain

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Stage 1. Raptr doesn’t capture the true number of players.

Stage 2. Raptr is lying, it’s no different than malware.

Stage 3. The expansion will change these numbers.

Stage 4. Why is this happening?

Stage 5. These low numbers are normal for a game like GW2.

(edited by DaShi.1368)

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I log in and play almost every day… I do not use Raptr…

The only way you could get a real view on the amount of people logging in and out, and playing would be from A-net. Raptr only tracks players that use it, so you are missing a HUGE portion of the community.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

So i just seen this, seems like gw2 player base has been dropping for some time now.
I have to say, i myself stopped playing a while ago. Gw2 was my favorite game and LS2 totaly killed it for me. Anet went in the wrong direction with LS2. It gave me zero reason to play more than 4 hours every 2-4weeks. Unlike LS1, were i would spend every day farming and grinding in LS1.
Its sad for me not to play this game, im a preorder 3 day before launch player, and i so want to play Gw2. I really hope that the new dlc will change the current setup, but if its anything like LS2 then i guess ill wait another year or two.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/02/world-of-tanks-swtor-rocketed-up-the-raptr-chart-in-may/

Never heard of raptr. Lots of people haven’t. It isnt really a tell tale sign at all.

And btw, gw2 was never meant to cater to a farming/grinding crowd. It happens anyway, but it wasn’t the intention of the game. So complaining that there isnt any farming/grinding to do in ls2 just made me laugh.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

So i just seen this, seems like gw2 player base has been dropping for some time now.
I have to say, i myself stopped playing a while ago. Gw2 was my favorite game and LS2 totaly killed it for me. Anet went in the wrong direction with LS2. It gave me zero reason to play more than 4 hours every 2-4weeks. Unlike LS1, were i would spend every day farming and grinding in LS1.
Its sad for me not to play this game, im a preorder 3 day before launch player, and i so want to play Gw2. I really hope that the new dlc will change the current setup, but if its anything like LS2 then i guess ill wait another year or two.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/02/world-of-tanks-swtor-rocketed-up-the-raptr-chart-in-may/

Never heard of raptr. Lots of people haven’t. It isnt really a tell tale sign at all.

And btw, gw2 was never meant to cater to a farming/grinding crowd. It happens anyway, but it wasn’t the intention of the game. So complaining that there isnt any farming/grinding to do in ls2 just made me laugh.

The funny part about that post is, he quit because not enough farming and grinding, so he is missing out on the farming and grinding in the Silverwastes.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Quoll.4597

Quoll.4597

Regardless of the irrelevancy of Raptr, it appears that player numbers in GW 2 have fallen alarmingly again, now that the novelty of HoT has worn off.
I love this game and still play a lot, but every day I repeatedly get the message that I am on a dying map and am transferred to an alternative one. The problem is that it is rarely any better than the one I have left. Silverwastes and even HoT maps are barely playable most of the time.
If there is something of which I am ignorant I would greatly appreciate advice re this.
cheers

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Why necro this thread when there are more recent threads from within the past month discussing the issue of problems with the map transfer algorithm and whether it indicates falling population or just goofups by the software as people dc or hop to other maps?

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

In all likelyhood, this thread was the first result that popped up via a google search, and the poster posted without noticing its age or other similar topics. That said, unless the topic somehow becomes irrelevant I’m not bothered by necroposting.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

For me its the difficulty and time required to play GW2.

Difficulty across the board is pushing solo players away, and the grind / ridiculous amounts of gathering consumables etc has turn this game into a hardcore fest..

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

someone who did enjoy the notorious season 1 more than season 2 because of mindless grind is not a reliable source for complaints whatsoever

Exactly why do grinders who like repeated dumb activity think their opinion matters?

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

people still use raptr? lmfao.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Nothing new to GW2 except for HoT, and to hell with HoT. That’s why this player isn’t here anymore. Never mind the occasional visit to catch up with guildies too stubborn to move on.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

Nothing new to GW2 except for HoT, and to hell with HoT. That’s why this player isn’t here anymore. Never mind the occasional visit to catch up with guildies too stubborn to move on.

So now people are stubborn for not moving on because they enjoy a great game to play while others do not.

SMH

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

HoT undelivered for the price tag. It’s as simple as that.

It’s not the fault of the devs but of the management: if HoT had been delivered with the living Story chapter 2 (with Silverwaste and Dry Top), a good WvW system and better elite professions it would have been a much more complete expansion.

I have a feeling we only got half an expansion because the other half had been released for free before in order to keep people interested and then they rushed out the rest to meet the fall deadline.

I mean the Tempest didn’t have a working elite skill like 1 month from the release date and they just improvised some crappy utility. There was just no solid idea or concept behind it. Blizzard would never have let kitten like that out.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

So now people are stubborn for not moving on because they enjoy a great game to play while others do not.

SMH

GW2 IS a great game, and indeed very enjoyable… if you just started playing. Or if you’re someone who enjoys doing the same things over and over, which, of course, some people do. I mean, look at Pong. Just as much fun today as when it was brand spanking new, right?

Me, though, I can’t help wondering what happened to the amazing folks who gave us Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North.

Instead of anything remotely that awesome, we got HoT. Which, despite it’s questionable price tag, has yet to be completely delivered. What are we likely to get in the future?

More of the same?

/e cheer

So, yeah. Stubborn.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

digging 9 months old thread is fun.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

HoT undelivered for the price tag. It’s as simple as that.

Opinion. Many others have enjoyed the expansion and felt the price was more than worth it.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

My knee just made a cracking sound

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

omg, you guys do realize this thread is 9 months old and all these stastics are irrelevant now right? stop keep necro this post.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Moderator

This thread has been necrobumped and is now closed.