Dash/leap and condition changes [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Thanks, but I will wait to see what the change actually does in game, rather than relying on assumptions and ‘the-sky-is-falling’ panic before the change is even implemented.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Thanks, but I will wait to see what the change actually does in game, rather than relying on assumptions and ‘the-sky-is-falling’ panic before the change is even implemented.

Yup.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree with OP……terrible decision by anet, unless they are re-balancing all leap/movement skills to have longer cooldowns much like RTL (which they are not doing).

this just removes disengage counterplay and further simplifies combat.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Might as well just give warriors immunity to the cripple condition.

I speak from a thief perspective – which will benefit greatly from this change – and think this idea is stupid.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Are you kidding. NO dashes will go further if you are OOC compared to if you are in combat. I would recommend you go inform yourself a little better. Try that ranger GS leap out again. The ooc speed boost works differently from swiftness. You seem to be under this huge misunderstanding that dashes will go further if you are OOC. That isn’t how they work at all.

I never stated that dashes will be affected by movement speed whether in/out of combat or with speed boosts. I even stated that in the post that you quoted and yet you seemed to have missed it. You also missed that I was talking about movements skills and that there are movement skills besides rush. I also mentioned that in my post you quoted.

I mentioned Swoop as being a movement skill affected by swiftness. The article even stated that skills were normalized so that movement-speed increases or decreases do not impact the distance traveled by your character. Since they mentioned that in the article, obviously there must be some movement skills impacted by movement speed increases and decreases.

A d/d ele packing fgs is going to outrun a sword/horn/GS warrior every time, and GS/Sword ranger matches the war outside of swiftness uptime. If you pack runes for that or run in a group they’re faster than warriors by far. You’ll put warrior up there for 2nd best leap mobility, but don’t think eles or rangers can compare? Like come on man the points you’re arguing aren’t even the ones that make sense.

Swiftness is not a movement skill so I don’t know why you brought up a GS/Sword ranger. Swoop is on a 12 sec cool down and the only movement skill that sword has is relies on you having a target and being engaged. Warriors have rush, ww, and leap which all can almost be used very frequently with minimal downtime.

Elementalist has FGS for as many charges and duration remaining. That elite is also on a 3 minute cool down timer. It’s not what I would consider spammable as it cannot be maintained.

Because I like to actually know what i’m talking about before I say it I tested out that ranger GS dash myself. You can see in the image where I applied swiftness, dropped off the wall to get into combat, dropped the first trap, then dropped the second trap at the endpoint. Then, simply lining myself up in the middle of the first trap, I apply swiftness again and what do you know, end up right in the middle of the second trap. No change between in or out of combat. Hope this clears things up for you. God i wish there was a smiley face that could communicate rekt appropriately.

~ Swoop
Having swiftness or a movement speed boost such as Signet of the Hunt will cause the distance of the sprint portion of this skill to be extended, effectively increasing this skill’s maximum range ( about 150 ) and decreasing the activation time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swoop

~ Heartseeker

Distance traveled by the leap is affected by changes in movement speed, such as from swiftness, cripple, chill, and Signet of Shadows.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heartseeker

Posted by: Kelgrfar.6803

Kelgrfar.6803

I have to chime in with the others and say that this is a change that I really can’t support. Having chill affect leap skills makes sense – and it provides a good reason to carry a condition cleanse on your character.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Are you kidding. NO dashes will go further if you are OOC compared to if you are in combat. I would recommend you go inform yourself a little better. Try that ranger GS leap out again. The ooc speed boost works differently from swiftness. You seem to be under this huge misunderstanding that dashes will go further if you are OOC. That isn’t how they work at all.

I never stated that dashes will be affected by movement speed whether in/out of combat or with speed boosts. I even stated that in the post that you quoted and yet you seemed to have missed it. You also missed that I was talking about movements skills and that there are movement skills besides rush. I also mentioned that in my post you quoted.

I mentioned Swoop as being a movement skill affected by swiftness. The article even stated that skills were normalized so that movement-speed increases or decreases do not impact the distance traveled by your character. Since they mentioned that in the article, obviously there must be some movement skills impacted by movement speed increases and decreases.

A d/d ele packing fgs is going to outrun a sword/horn/GS warrior every time, and GS/Sword ranger matches the war outside of swiftness uptime. If you pack runes for that or run in a group they’re faster than warriors by far. You’ll put warrior up there for 2nd best leap mobility, but don’t think eles or rangers can compare? Like come on man the points you’re arguing aren’t even the ones that make sense.

Swiftness is not a movement skill so I don’t know why you brought up a GS/Sword ranger. Swoop is on a 12 sec cool down and the only movement skill that sword has is relies on you having a target and being engaged. Warriors have rush, ww, and leap which all can almost be used very frequently with minimal downtime.

Elementalist has FGS for as many charges and duration remaining. That elite is also on a 3 minute cool down timer. It’s not what I would consider spammable as it cannot be maintained.

Because I like to actually know what i’m talking about before I say it I tested out that ranger GS dash myself. You can see in the image where I applied swiftness, dropped off the wall to get into combat, dropped the first trap, then dropped the second trap at the endpoint. Then, simply lining myself up in the middle of the first trap, I apply swiftness again and what do you know, end up right in the middle of the second trap. No change between in or out of combat. Hope this clears things up for you. God i wish there was a smiley face that could communicate rekt appropriately.

~ Swoop
Having swiftness or a movement speed boost such as Signet of the Hunt will cause the distance of the sprint portion of this skill to be extended, effectively increasing this skill’s maximum range ( about 150 ) and decreasing the activation time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swoop

~ Heartseeker

Distance traveled by the leap is affected by changes in movement speed, such as from swiftness, cripple, chill, and Signet of Shadows.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heartseeker

LMAO bro i assumed you were miscategorizing swiftness because all it does is make your case worse. If you didn’t have a movespeed modifier before you still won’t. If you did before, then now you won’t. I didn’t miss jack kitten. There’s no case where you’re gonna be faster than you were before outside of the one I stated.

Stop trying to salvage this. You claimed the OOC speed buff would effect movement skills, it doesn’t.

Man I don’t even know what i’m doing responding to these. You think ranger sword “depends on being engaged with a target” . . . Please, try and be a little more informed before the next post. A lot of misinformation gets spread and you’re only contributing right now.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

All i see is cripple and chill slows movement vastly on everything the charater does currently leaving no room for Chronomancers using slow or quickness .

changing Movement skills to not be effected by Movement slowing effects gives slow and quickness stronger Benifits through being more potent / allows a play style to be used.

all this change is for , is to give Slow on the chronomancer a reason to play a chronomancer.

outside of movement skills like dashes / leaps chill and cripples have a very strong effect by keeping people in Aoes longer ( to those that have no available leaps/dashes/ports off cooldown) i’d say it makes Mobility more build defined and important / more Valued since you just can’t use Dashes/leaps ect on the fly without Risking yourself to cripple/chill and now SLOW.

one half of me says this is Awesome for Future content and opening roles for special specs (like the chronomancer)

the other half right now "IN this current time / present " makes me think logically is a bad idea though the more thought you put into it , it all makes sense.

the other option to add to this would be the New necro trait set up apply chill every time you apply Vun (i can’t remember the names of said traits) but this makes cripple and chill much more Valued while not using Movement skills , where Slow.

really hinder the use of skills by adding 50% to the cast time causing slow reactions would be really Potent possible hard to balance or OP if it was to effect leaps/dashs imagine being hit by cripple/chill+slow and using a dash skill does nothing and you don’t even move in most cases = death 0./

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Not only does it make sense for movement-impairing conditions to reduce the efficacy of movement skills, but it makes sense for movement-enhancing boons to increase the efficacy of movement skills.

The logic behind this change makes no sense and it’s going to make mobility SO much slower in WvW, in open world, and in dungeons.

Omg I am so frustrated with the amount of people who don’t even care about anything other than “oh cool I can still leap further when I’m chilled and crippled.” This is so hopeless. I feel like I’m timetraveling back to Runescape when Jagex proposed EoC.

Linnael.1069

Not only does it make sense for movement-impairing conditions to reduce the efficacy of movement skills, but it makes sense for movement-enhancing boons to increase the efficacy of movement skills.

The logic behind this change makes no sense and it’s going to make mobility SO much slower in WvW, in open world, and in dungeons.

Omg I am so frustrated with the amount of people who don’t even care about anything other than “oh cool I can still leap further when I’m chilled and crippled.” This is so hopeless. I feel like I’m timetraveling back to Runescape when Jagex proposed EoC.

Make your own thread (no sarcasm). This one is going nowhere good, defs not getting any good dev attention, and a miku thread will probably have better credibility anyways.

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

I’m eager to know more in depth whats the full story behind nerfing movement skills. (yeah, we can theorize in the meaning time on what were they thinking)
What’s been said in the blog sounds more like a cheap excuse to me (reliable skills? Come on! That way you are making chill/cripple unreliable), and i hope there is some sensible reasoning for that change that’s not been told.

If not…well…as I said some posts ago, it would be a very poor choice which aims to nothing but unnecesarily mess the game mechanics.

(edited by Jade Arkadian.9280)

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I’m curious as to whether or not you can run into a situation where using a movement skill will make you slower.

For instance, if an engineer uses super speed and then rocket boots, will the normalized speed of rocket boots make them slower overall? That would be quite weird.

Linnael.1069

I’m eager to know more in depth whats the full story behind nerfing movement skills. (yeah, we can theorize in the meaning time on what were they thinking)
What’s been said in the blog sounds more like a cheap excuse to me, and i hope there is some sensible reasoning for that change that’s not been told.

If not…well…as I said some posts ago, it would be a very poor choice which aims to nothing but unnecesarily mess the game mechanics.

I’d put a solid grand on anet hearing a bunch of their beta testers and silverwastes players complain that mordrem were crippling them too often. No doubt in my mind at all that this is the cause after that one thread talking about mordrem wolves.

Purple Miku.7032

Make your own thread (no sarcasm). This one is going nowhere good, defs not getting any good dev attention, and a miku thread will probably have better credibility anyways.

I would gladly, but I have a flood control of 1800 seconds and lack sufficient permission rights to post my own threads.

Just one comment on a thread every half hour is the best I can do.

Besides, I don’t think anybody in general discussion cares about me at all. I would just get flamed by all the people who don’t care about minority subsets within the community.

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

I think the change is a good one, if only for the sake of consistency. Why should teleports be unaffected by movement skills, and dashes/leaps not? Of course, if it were up to me I’d have made teleports affected by chill/cripple instead of the other way around, but at least it is kind of consistent now. As it is you can teleport while immobilized, as well as up some terrain.

For those people arguing that mobility is affected in the open world, the difference is actually quite small. A few weeks ago I used a GS+Sword Warrior and had a race against someone simply running. Our base movement speed was the same (+25%), and I used GS #3&5, Sword #2, and Bull’s Charge on cooldown.

Over a distance that took me about 3 mins to travel, she completed it in 25% more time (80% of my speed). Already we can see that movement skills don’t do that much. They only account for 20% of the distance I traveled (the rest is from running). If this 20% is no longer affected by the +33% bonus, then 20/1.33 = ~15.

So you will travel at 95% of the speed you previously were at, assuming of course that all your movement skills are leaps (and not teleports). The math is a bit wrong but I’m sleepy and can’t be bothered to fix it. In any case it’s not that big of a difference. And apart from the Silverwastes there isn’t that much long-distance running to do anyway.

Edit: In WvW where being able to disengage depends on the relative speed of two players, I agree that this change makes Warriors and to a lesser extent Rangers/Guards significantly better at escaping..

(edited by Sunflowers.1729)

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

So Anet! Tell me! Um…how are reaper’s supposed to be able to keep people in striking distance? I mean you based this entire specialization around using chill to keep your enemies near you, and now you’ve gone and done this?

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Linnael.1069

I think the change is a good one, if only for the sake of consistency. Why should teleports be unaffected by movement skills, and dashes/leaps not? Of course, if it were up to me I’d have made teleports affected by chill/cripple instead of the other way around, but at least it is kind of consistent now. As it is you can teleport while immobilized, as well as up some terrain.

For those people arguing that mobility is affected in the open world, the difference is actually quite small. A few weeks ago I used a GS+Sword Warrior and had a race against someone simply running. Our base movement speed was the same (+25%), and I used GS #3&5, Sword #2, and Bull’s Charge on cooldown.

Over a distance that took me about 3 mins to travel, she completed it in 25% more time (80% of my speed). Already we can see that movement skills don’t do that much. They only account for 20% of the distance I traveled (the rest is from running). If this 20% is no longer affected by the +33% bonus, then 20/1.33 = ~15.

So you will travel at 95% of the speed you previously were at, assuming of course that all your movement skills are leaps (and not teleports). The math is a bit wrong but I’m sleepy and can’t be bothered to fix it. In any case it’s not that big of a difference.

Teleports aren’t dashes. Why does Bull’s Rush get to knock people down when it’s the same as my Lightning Flash in every other way?

Also, most mobility in this game doesn’t happen on the huge scales you’re talking about. Far more important is the sheer amount of distance you can chain together in a short quantity, as you’re rarely ever running more than ~5000 units at a time between spots of action. For realistic distances dash skills make up a much larger proportion of the distance traveled, and this change will feel very significant indeed.

Plus, even if you accept that it isn’t a huge difference mathematically, its a change that feels bad to play with. You want your dashes to feel fast. If this goes through I can be walking around with swiftness, cast rush or swoop, and be moving barely any faster than I was before. That’s a super lame feeling that exists on certain skills right now (slow as heck FGS4 springs to mind), and not one i’d like to see across the entire game.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Can someone explain why anyone think this is a good change?

I am looking through the thread and I see people mocking OP because they like the change, but they don’t explain why they like it.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Linnael.1069

I am looking through the thread and I see people mocking OP because they like the change, but they don’t explain why they like it.

I’d lower my expectations of an answer. I knew there was at least one group of player that would benefit when I made this thread, I kind of just wanted people to admit it.

The changes benefit the type of player that walks through mob packs with no swiftness, no dodges, and no condiremoval, and are tired of having to interact with enemies at all because it slows them down on the way to the next farm spot.

So why do so many people like the change, but won’t tell you why? Simple. They benefit from it, they just don’t want to admit it.

Apparently Anet wants to balance the game around that playstyle. That isn’t up to me, but I wanted people to at least admit it or recognize it. Sadly, this doesn’t seem to be a problem for as many people as I thought.

(edited by Linnael.1069)

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I can’t say I like*yet*, but someone managed to make me believe that the time to the dashes might still be affected even if the distance is not keeping boons and conditions still relevant while using them. So this could just make balance easier and we could be possibly be bashing our heads for nothing O.o sooo yeah we need official clarification on that if it’s not the case make it so.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I see this with a smiling and a whining eye …

Whining, because this change will make it even far more ridiculous and absurd, how way too god darn fast Warriors can move in their HEAVY ARMORS around, much faster than any normal thief with Shadow Steps from SB, unless you see the Thief wasting is potential by using also in the utilities as many Shadow Steps as possile and using midway also the Sword-Shadowstep on target if you have a target in the near that helps you to move quickly further into your wanted direction.

A stupid warrior doesn’t need anything of that, their most annoying 1200 range movement skill doesn’t even need a dumb target to dash forward for its final attack that follows from it. This Skill needs to get channge finally, that its only a dash attack, if you have as warrior a target, that is further than 900 away from you and lets you dash then also only maximum that 900 distance.
If your target is not over 900 distance away, that dash attack should work like a medium ranged jump attack rather that lets you move like 300 distance and causes at the impagt some stronger damage that hits the target and up to 4 nearby ones too.
The Warrior Greatsword Dash attack should get mechanically changed into a new “Dynamic Skill”, which changes basicalyl dynamically between its 2 effects based on how far away your target is.
(PS: A skill mechanic, that id like to see in the game for all classes by the way)

A smiling eye, because now I know that conditionsl ike cripple, or chill won’t reduce anymore the distance that I will do with my Heartseekers when I need to get quickly some bigger distance. that stupid stuff won’t hold me off then anymore to pursue enemies, that want to try to flee from me.

Hmm, so basically, its just something to be put onto the balance.
Personally I find the warriors get from this change the better deal, as long that Great Sword Skill doesn’t get changed.
Its about time, that ANet finalyl nerfs their ridiculous absurd way too good mobility, for a class, that should be much slower in their heavy armors, what is a reason why they are one of the classes with the highest DEFENSE and the HIGHEST MAX HEALTH and lots of damage mitigation skills ans a counterbalance therefore, that they should be normally for game balance’s sake much slower, but therefore also naturally more powerful, than the obligatory standard at the front, so that you want to be cautious not to get hit too much by them, especially when they are full of adrenaline.

Number One and two of the fastest mobility have to become finally Thief and Elementalist. Warriors should be among the slowest, but should have good burst movement at full adrenaline, so that they can be ready at any given time for a quick surprise, so that you have to be cautious when they get at you. Thats my opinion about them.

Warriros are already anets love child and and way too much of a jack of all trades in too many things at the same time since game release.
Its time, that they finally lose their godmode movement as a part of game balance.
Yes, their description tests say somethign about speed, but with that is surely not meant movement speed.
If warriors should be at anythign fast, then at changing their weapons.
Warriros shouldnt have any weapon change cooldowns, in fact, warriors should be rewarded for it to change alot in the combats their weapons the most.
It should be an integral part of their whole gamepaly to change alot their weapons in combat swiftly (faster than anyone else, cause they are masters of combat with mostly all weapons)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This hurts those who currently have the presence of mind to:

• use movement skills when they provide optimal return, and
  • apply conditions to opponents when it really hurts them.

In other words, skilled play is being removed. But with the dumbing down of the game in nearly every single aspect serves as a guide, this is exactly Anet’s intention.

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

i guess that shia labeouf speech really made the devs motivated to make sure classes with leaps teleports and over all mobility can ding door dash like its a marathon ..

mean while classes that need to keep classes from leaving the battle will have no way of doing this anymore . question . what was the point of cc ?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Well they won’t be dashing away as quickly as before, so it’s not a complete loss.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Those are the people that play Warrior.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Normalizing system allows them to do proper balance on skills and traits.

So put me in the OP is wrong about everybody not liking it.
I like it.

How far do you go on normalizing? Where is that line? Where do you stop before you have a bunch of people running around hitting each other with the same 1 skill because it was too hard to balance variety?

Are we really going to go down the slippery slope line of logical fallacy to make your post appear correct or is this just a string of rhetorical questions for the sake of appearing intelligent when the answer is right in front of you ?

More posted out of frustration with the various things they’ve done while riding that slippery slope.

Feel free to ignore me, I’m very pessimistic about this game right now.

Purple Miku.7032

Well they won’t be dashing away as quickly as before, so it’s not a complete loss.

Yeah except warriors will be able to roleplay as Usain Bolt in PvP with chill and cripple on them, because it makes so much sense for somebody limping around in agony to be able to leap and dash the same distance as he would in a healthy state.

#VideoGameLogic

Attachments:

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

People like the change because it reduces skilled play (should I rush now/should I put chill on him now). This reduces the gap between casuals and skilled players and thus makes casuals feel better. Remember, this game is shifting its focus so that casuals are 100% the focus.

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

Yeah except warriors will be able to roleplay as Usain Bolt in PvP with chill and cripple on them, because it makes so much sense for somebody limping around in agony to be able to leap and dash the same distance as he would in a healthy state.

#VideoGameLogic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
can i upvote this 500 times
can i upvote this then quote then upvote my own post because of how much yesing i’m doing right now

Posted by: quBit.6437

quBit.6437

This change nerfs and buffs movement skills at the same time. I think the whole intention here from anet is to simplify the game more. It’s been an ongoing trend for them lately. (blink changes, thief f2, limiting trait system)

Not all of these changes are flat out bad but they seem to forget, that they come at cost of player creativity, skillcap and most importantly FUN. It’s more fun to pop swiftness and then use your movement skill, or do it with super speed in combat. It keeps a higher skillcap if you have to learn where you can and where you can’t blink at. It requires more thought and preparation when you don’t have a f2 on thief. There are more fun/silly builds to explore with the current trait system.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m fine with the new trait changes, it has it’s pros too. But drasticly changing the way movement skill works in a heavily movement dependant game? Calling them ‘unintended’ after 3 years??? That definitely crosses the line!

It’s an insolence towards the whole community who has played and loved the game for its unique and amazing movement mechanics!

It might not seem like such a big deal to some people, but this along with the blink changes might make me quit the game. Because if this change goes in, i lost all hope.

Please let your voices be heard, make a thread, mail them, call them,…
We took perplexity runes, we took celestial and dire gear, we took the blink changes. PUT A STOP TO IT! PLEASE!

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Correct me if I’m wrong but (after patch):

EXAMPLES:

• I’m a Thief and someone’s applied crippled to me. All I need to do is heartseeker/flanking strike away LIKE CRIPPLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?
  • I’m a Warrior and someone’s applied chilled to me. All I need to do is savage leap + whirlwind attack + rush away LIKE CHILLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?
  • I’m an Engineer and someone’s applied chilled AND crippled to me. All I need to do is activate super speed + rocket boots LIKE CHILLED AND CRIPPLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?

Not to mentioned the plethora of every other movement propelling skills that ignore chilled/crippled if this patch is released. Wow.

This is a joke ANet… and this is coming from someone who generally runs away if I can when things get yucky… having movement skills travel the full distance when you have conditions such as crippled and chilled on you should NOT ignore those applied conditions.

It is not fair – not to my opponent and definitely not on my behalf if I can run away even easier. It’s wrong.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I guess it depends on what they’re aiming to accomplish?

I don’t have much of an opinion on ‘helping Players disengage from Players’ or ‘helping Players disengage from Mobs’.

‘helping Mobs disengage from Players’ could be pretty great, though.

Assuming they had to homogenize the way Mob & Player leaps operate for back-end reasons. I imagine any decently mobile AI can be shutdown a bit too easily given the crazy access players have to snares, and making sure movement skills guarantee distance is what I’d do to create a failsafe that can get it out of the fire when needed.

Heck, my Ranger can more or less bring whole lanes to a standstill in VW right now, that’s maybe not the best thing if you’re looking for mob mobility to help constitute some of the challenge/fun.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Purple Miku.7032

To be honest the biggest reason this change kittenes me off is because it impairs travel speed when out of combat. There’s literally no reason whatsoever this needs to happen.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

PvE players hate it because they can’t run around as fast out of combat.

PvPers and WvW roamers hate it because it’s just strengthening disengage, which is boring and annoying.

Zergers don’t care because you can’t use dashes without breaking the blob anyway.

Come on Anet. Smart positioning is already made half pointless by shadowsteps, and now you’re just dumbing down PvP even further to implement a change that makes PvE players unhappy?

Remember when Ride the Lightning got huge nerfs because it ignored cripple/chill/swiftness? This functionality used to be a massive balancing point for certain skills. Are we going to see similar nerfs to every other mobility skill in the game?

Edit: The post originally containing my response to the series of comments wondering about the techniques behind my statistical modeling has been unfortunately deleted. I’ll just say that if you would like, feel free to read the title as “No division of the playerbase is positively effected by these changes at a general level.” I would recommend an in depth study of mass communication techniques and strategies to anyone who has further questions.

uh people who WANT to disengage will love it!

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Removing counterplay and nerfing OOC mobility, gg anet. Mobility must have been too confusing for new players. Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall for a few hours.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

And here I thought this thread would be about shoes with wings.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

#VideoGameLogic

It also makes so much sense to recover from your ankle being cut through in a matter of seconds… or to continue walking after someone smashed you with a huge hammer…

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

#VideoGameLogic

It also makes so much sense to recover from your ankle being cut through in a matter of seconds… or to continue walking after someone smashed you with a huge hammer…

+1 lol.

/15CharrWarriors

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Would explain the no mounts rule.

No longer in context of thread.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Yeah, all this is doing is removing a lot of (counter) play in the game and lowering the amount of skill that can be brought to the table. What a hugely disappointing change.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

• I’m an Engineer and someone’s applied chilled AND crippled to me. All I need to do is activate super speed + rocket boots LIKE CHILLED AND CRIPPLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?

It’s not that I don’t understand what you’re saying, but this is a very bad example. Super speed already ignores the effects of cripple and chill, so there’s no change in that regard. Additionally, rocket boots removes cripple, chill, and immobilize, so the only actual change here is that the engineer won’t have the leap reduced if they get crippled or chilled immediately after using rocket boots (that is, during the actual leap), which is a rather uncommon occurrence. In other words, they can already do as you described.

As such, the changes to movement impairing effects do not really matter as far as super speed and rocket boots are concerned.

The super speed → rocket boot combo is being nerfed because the engineer will not be able to propel themselves nearly as far. This means it will actually be harder for an engineer to escape a given situation using super speed and rocket boots than it currently is.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

LMAO bro i assumed you were miscategorizing swiftness because all it does is make your case worse. If you didn’t have a movespeed modifier before you still won’t. If you did before, then now you won’t. I didn’t miss jack kitten. There’s no case where you’re gonna be faster than you were before outside of the one I stated.

Stop trying to salvage this. You claimed the OOC speed buff would effect movement skills, it doesn’t.

Man I don’t even know what i’m doing responding to these. You think ranger sword “depends on being engaged with a target” . . . Please, try and be a little more informed before the next post. A lot of misinformation gets spread and you’re only contributing right now.

It’s not really miscategorizing. I just wasn’t clear in my posts and I should’ve edited and made a clarification in the subsequent post that I was wrong rather than let it be. It’s why there was confusion and we thought we were arguing the same thing but really weren’t. I’m not sure why I wrote it like that but it like had to do with the end of the day and reading the OP’s statement that “PvE players hate it because they can’t run around as fast out of combat.”

About the ranger sword skills. The leaps are tied to skills that have multiple sequences. The auto attack has three sequences with the last one being a leap although I managed to get two off when I tested it a couple hours ago. There is another leap with that weapon but it’s the second part of a sequence where the first contains an evade. Unless you can negate the evade, it doesn’t have any use in really propelling you forward.

All of the sword sequence skills requires you to actually be in combat and landing a hit to proceed to the next attack. This hurts its usefulness compared to other skills that are not part of a sequence. The distanced jumped was kind of meh also.

After thinking about this some more, those that stand to benefit from this the most would be warrior and thief as they have the most movement skills. A lot of players should have some form of cleanse equipped making the argument kind of moot but who knows. The warrior build that I’m thinking of would have the cripple/chilled condition removed pretty quickly unless you were to cover them with other conditions to prevent them from being removed immediately.

It’s likely one of those things that we have to wait and see in action like the shadowstep/blink change awhile back that got people in an uproar and turned out to be nothing. It does seem counter intuitive as jumping is affect by speed boosts.

Posted by: REVOLVET.4807

REVOLVET.4807

EXAMPLES:

• I’m a Thief and someone’s applied crippled to me. All I need to do is heartseeker/flanking strike away LIKE CRIPPLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?
  • I’m a Warrior and someone’s applied chilled to me. All I need to do is savage leap + whirlwind attack + rush away LIKE CHILLED NEVER EXISTED ON ME?

Not to mentioned the plethora of every other movement propelling skills that ignore chilled/crippled if this patch is released. Wow.

This is a joke ANet… and this is coming from someone who generally runs away if I can when things get yucky… having movement skills travel the full distance when you have conditions such as crippled and chilled on you should NOT ignore those applied conditions.

It is not fair – not to my opponent and definitely not on my behalf if I can run away even easier. It’s wrong.

CHILL AND CRIPPLE STILL EXIST. Speeding up doesn’t cleanse these conditions. We are still suffered from movement impairment and skill cooldown prolongation. These conditions last much longer than boosted speed. However, the potential of pulsing chill and cripple (if any) will be reduced to some extent.

Although we will be able to escape much faster, we will leap to an opponent or an enemy much slower. This update brings normalization of the movement speed pretty well.

Posted by: Cell.6821

Cell.6821

Anet sure loves Warriors & Thief..

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

People who enjoy watching salty, kneejerk reactions are benefiting quite a lot. :D:D:D

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Normalizing system allows them to do proper balance on skills and traits.

So put me in the OP is wrong about everybody not liking it.
I like it.

How far do you go on normalizing? Where is that line? Where do you stop before you have a bunch of people running around hitting each other with the same 1 skill because it was too hard to balance variety?

Variety is always more important than balance in my opinion. It makes a game infinitely more fun and it’s something GW1 had kitten loads of. GW2 is heading in the opposite direction sadly. Devs seem to care way to much about how difficult it will be to balance that they’re sacrificing any fun and interesting ideas, skills, and mechanics the game could have had.

… I still want tengu.

Linnael.1069

It’s not really miscategorizing. I just wasn’t clear in my posts and I should’ve edited and made a clarification in the subsequent post that I was wrong rather than let it be. It’s why there was confusion and we thought we were arguing the same thing but really weren’t. I’m not sure why I wrote it like that but it like had to do with the end of the day and reading the OP’s statement that “PvE players hate it because they can’t run around as fast out of combat.”

About the ranger sword skills. The leaps are tied to skills that have multiple sequences. The auto attack has three sequences with the last one being a leap although I managed to get two off when I tested it a couple hours ago. There is another leap with that weapon but it’s the second part of a sequence where the first contains an evade. Unless you can negate the evade, it doesn’t have any use in really propelling you forward.

All of the sword sequence skills requires you to actually be in combat and landing a hit to proceed to the next attack. This hurts its usefulness compared to other skills that are not part of a sequence. The distanced jumped was kind of meh also.

After thinking about this some more, those that stand to benefit from this the most would be warrior and thief as they have the most movement skills. A lot of players should have some form of cleanse equipped making the argument kind of moot but who knows. The warrior build that I’m thinking of would have the cripple/chilled condition removed pretty quickly unless you were to cover them with other conditions to prevent them from being removed immediately.

It’s likely one of those things that we have to wait and see in action like the shadowstep/blink change awhile back that got people in an uproar and turned out to be nothing. It does seem counter intuitive as jumping is affect by speed boosts.

Knowing how to 180 reverse skills is an integral part of playing at a high level for eles, mesmers, thieves, and rangers, fully half the classes in the game. Ranger sword2 is ~1000-1200 range gain depending on how smoothly you have it down on an 8 second cooldown that also evades. I imagine there are a multitude of tutorials for things like this on youtube etc. You may google something along the lines of “how to withdraw forwards” or “burning retreat forwards” for similar mechanics.

I’m glad we cleared up that stuff previously. The main point we should really be sticking to is how the change really doesn’t improve anybody’s quality of life to a degree that justifies the massive implications for PvP and the decline of the skillcap in general. I will concede that the change has benefits for some, I just don’t think decisions at this scale should be made for the benefit of those doing the least active gameplay.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Warriors and Thieves are probably saying the same about Engis and Necros and the Engis and Necros are probably saying the same about Guardians and Mesmers. Rangers are probably saying that about everybody.

I believe everybody will benefit from this change cause it will make things easier to balance. Now they don’t have to worry about the skill being OP or UP depending on whatever boons or condis to have one you.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

ITT: almost no one knows what they’re talking about, but they insist they have the answers

(Brb, posting this to every other thread on the forums)

Fishsticks

Linnael.1069

Warriors and Thieves are probably saying the same about Engis and Necros and the Engis and Necros are probably saying the same about Guardians and Mesmers. Rangers are probably saying that about everybody.

I believe everybody will benefit from this change cause it will make things easier to balance. Now they don’t have to worry about the skill being OP or UP depending on whatever boons or condis to have one you.

Um no. This isn’t professionX nerf rage. It’s blindingly obvious that this change is bad for gameplay. There are warriors on the PvP forum agreeing with everybody else that this change is terrible. Regarding this change, necros have flat out 0 skills that will benefit. none. Like what are you even trying to pull here saying it will effect everybody the same way?

Also, it doesn’t matter if it makes things easier to balance if it comes at the cost of skilled gameplay. Rock paper scissors is 100% perfectly balanced but nobody gives a kitten . GW2 is hardly leading the realm of gaming as far as complexity goes anyways, there’s no reason they can’t just sit down and deal with it. Honestly, when was the last time you thought something was imbalanced because it moved faster with swiftness or slower when crippled?