gw2lfg trolls

gw2lfg trolls

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

My guild leader is currently getting trolled and this is turning into a serious annoyance. Basically, someone is posting on gw2lfg under his name, in the Citadel of Flame subsection for CoF farmers, asking them to whisper him and ping gear, we have a firmly good idea as to who this might be but it doesn’t even seem like we can report the guy to arenanet since the report box doesn’t allow for comments and anet uses things like in game chat logs before they do anything about potential offenders.

Random people keep joining our party and pinging zerk gear for CoF runs while we’re doing stuff like forming a party for FOTM or something else.. it’s getting old.

Another reason why a true in game LFG tool associated to your account/character would trump this easily abused website. Anet, please make it happen.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Senryi.4897

Senryi.4897

I can’t tell is this is supposed to be an April Fools joke or not… But in any case ArenaNet can’t do any thing about it since they don’t run that website. It’s like asking coke-a-cola to make pepsi stop selling diet pepsi.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

No, I’m asking if there is any way to get a ban on the guy responsible for this.

And also ranting on the lack of a LFG tool, leading to abuse like these. The whole gw2 community relies on a tool where anyone can use anyone else’s name and potentially harass people anonymously. An in game LFG tool would definitively fix this.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

As Senryi said, ANet cannot control that website, so they don’t know who the guy is. They can’t fix the website and they can’t stop your friend from being harassed. No, they won’t ban the guy.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Senryi.4897

Senryi.4897

Any actions taken by some one outside of the domain that ArenaNet controls (in-game, forums) can not be banned for actions they take elsewhere.

They have been working on an official LFG tool for a while. One of the main barriers for them with the tool was not having a back end for people joining a group from multiple servers effectively. That was recently resolved with the guesting feature.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

Lol. That’s a pretty awesome troll. My guild will post "Arah p4 carry run lf1m whisper someotherguysaccount"

I love it.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

They have been working on an official LFG tool for a while. One of the main barriers for them with the tool was not having a back end for people joining a group from multiple servers effectively. That was recently resolved with the guesting feature.

Source?

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I would suggest filing a ticket with Support. That way, you can describe the situation in detail. If the guilty party has bragged about the griefing via whisper, guild chat, whatever, Arenanet would have access to the chatlogs.

User was infracted for being awesome.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I can’t tell is this is supposed to be an April Fools joke or not… But in any case ArenaNet can’t do any thing about it since they don’t run that website. It’s like asking coke-a-cola to make pepsi stop selling diet pepsi.

Its a form of Griefing which IS covered under the TOS . The problem is that its being done through a 3rd party site so its a trickier situation . A very large portion of the guild i am in actually had the very same thing happen to us a while back but it’s been remedied now .

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Colin let it slip recently at Pax East that an LFG tool is in the works. It’s not just a dungeon finder, but anyone looking for a group for anything. We don’t have an ETA though.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

3rd party website, no ban possible. Use 3rd party this kind of stuff is what happens. Arenanet doesn’t enforce the rules on there, or even monitor it. It is use at own risk.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

If it isn’t an April Fool’s joke, kitten your guild leader must have really kitten someone off.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Contact the people who manage that site, they have feedback links in several places. Explain the problem and they may be able to IP ban the person making those posts from their site.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They do have a “Flag as inappropriate” function as well.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

3rd party website, no ban possible. Use 3rd party this kind of stuff is what happens. Arenanet doesn’t enforce the rules on there, or even monitor it. It is use at own risk.

Yeah, but you don’t have to use it to get griefed through it. You can put anyone’s account in there you want – there’s no login. It’s basically like a bulletin board that anyone can pin anything they want on. You can flag entries as “inappropriate” but I’m not sure what the response time is for taking them down.

I would contact the guy that runs the site and ask if he can block entries with your guild leader’s account name for a while. Someone else will have to head up your groups unfortunately.

Some people really suck.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

(edited by Pandemoniac.4739)

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

lol, sorry, but I found this quite hilarious. Not so much the trolling but the fact that Anet is responsible for this happening in the first place by not having a secure, controllable LFG tool in game.

Contact the people who manage that site, they have feedback links in several places. Explain the problem and they may be able to IP ban the person making those posts from their site.

IP’s change (sometimes daily) for users on certain DSL lines etc.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

lol, sorry, but I found this quite hilarious. Not so much the trolling but the fact that Anet is responsible for this happening in the first place by not having a secure, controllable LFG tool in game.

IP’s change (sometimes daily) for users on certain DSL lines etc.

They don’t change enough to stop an IP range ban. When you run a website, it’s pretty easy to setup a filter to block a small range of IPs. It’s also very easy to see if there are any other visitors from that same range who would be effected. No other visitors, just means they can ban a range without worry. And if the people running the site have access to the server, they could even block the MAC address. That’s a LOT harder to bypass and a lot more fun to do. ;-)
Bottom line, don’t contact Anet, contact the person running the site. They should be able to do something while Anet cannot.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

…not entirely true.
Anet can perhaps get their priorities straight and add the LFG in-game before adding any more HKO content.

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

…not entirely true.
Anet can perhaps get their priorities straight and add the LFG in-game before adding any more HKO content.

I think they have their priorities straight. What makes you think they don’t?

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

…not entirely true.

A fundamental tool like a group finder, in a MMO, not a matter of highest priority?
Not sure if serious or trolling.

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

…not entirely true.

A fundamental tool like a group finder, in a MMO, not a matter of highest priority?

Nope it’s not a matter of the highest priority. That’s why most games launch without them. In fact, in the past, just about every MMO has launched without a LFG tool, illustrating perhaps how much of a priority it is.

gw2lfg trolls

Geotherma.2395

…not entirely true.

There is a group finder in game, it is in the map, but there nonetheless. A high priority is game breaking fixes, bugs, content, changes, at the tail end of that is “polish”. LFG is one of those things. It exists but needs improvement.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

The priority for an LFG tool comes from people pugging dungeons. So you’d need to know the percentage of the population that likes/runs dungeons regularly, minus the number of people who don’t pug. I don’t know what that number is.

If more people are bothered by other problems, those problems will be a higher priority. It’s pretty simple. Everything thinks their own concerns are universal but that’s almost never the truth.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Funny. The more recent MMO’s launched with LFG very much included. Out the box. Day 1.

But I digress.

Point is, situations like the one explained by the OP is just one of the reasons why this should be a feature at launch. Not an afterthought, as is currently the case.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Lol. That’s a pretty awesome troll. My guild will post “Arah p4 carry run lf1m whisper someotherguysaccount”

I love it.

Since when is kitten off people for no reason considered to be trolling?

Funny. The more recent MMO’s launched with LFG very much included. Out the box. Day 1.

But I digress.

Point is, situations like the one explained by the OP is just one of the reasons why this should be a feature at launch. Not an afterthought, as is currently the case.

But A.Net doesn’t want a lfg system in the game. Why can’t you just deal with it?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Link to the official statement backing your claim, please.
Thanks.

gw2lfg trolls

Geotherma.2395

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

“Improving the “looking for group” tool to make it easier to find other players to play with in the game.”

gw2lfg trolls

kokiman.2364

Link to the official statement backing your claim, please.
Thanks.

No.

And no problem. Build your own LFG system with the tools the game already offers you.

GuildWars 2

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

If you know who is doing it just fight fire with fire….post something like "I’m giving away gold to the first 20 people who whisper me ‘not so funny now?’ (or something) under his name.

gw2lfg trolls

Adine.2184

If you know who is doing it just fight fire with fire….post something like "I’m giving away gold to the first 20 people who whisper me ‘not so funny now?’ (or something) under his name.

Stooping down to thier level is a tasteless thing to do . once you do that they win .

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

But I digress.

Rift didn’t. SWToR didn’t. Guild Wars 2 didn’t. I’m pretty sure TSW didn’t also. Which MMOs are you talking about? Seriously I’d love to know.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

But I digress.

Rift didn’t. SWToR didn’t. Guild Wars 2 didn’t. I’m pretty sure TSW didn’t also. Which MMOs are you talking about? Seriously I’d love to know.

Tera and TSW had group finders at launch (k, TSW within days of launch, but not 7 months). Even as far back as Aion we had better lfg capabilities at launch than we have in GW2 in 2013. I mean, what is this LFG marker thing supposed to do? Nobody seems to know and I have yet to find anyone who uses it.
The most amazing thing is… GW1 already has a near perfect LFG tool so its not like they don’t know how to create one.

Which brings us back to priorities, I guess.

gw2lfg trolls

kokiman.2364

The most amazing thing is… GW1 already has a near perfect LFG tool so its not like they don’t know how to create one.

Near perfect? No? It was bad!? Mostly used for trading.

GuildWars 2

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

But I digress.

Tera and TSW had group finders at launch (k, TSW within days of launch, but not 7 months). Even as far back as Aion we had better lfg capabilities at launch than we have in GW2 in 2013. I mean, what is this LFG marker thing supposed to do? Nobody seems to know and I have yet to find anyone who uses it.

Terra didn’t have group finder at launch. It had group finder at US launch, a year and a half after it’s initial launch. That’s one claim out the window. Aion didn’t have group finder at launch either to my recollection. In fact, Aion at launch was pretty much a mess, if I recall correctly. I’m not sure I’d use Aion is the showcase game for what it did and didn’t launch with.

As for the Guild Wars 1 LFG tool, I think most people here would find that insufficient.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

…sure Aion was a mess. I recall the 4hour server queues, the private shop exploit in order to stay logged in in order to avoid the 4hour login queues. Fun times.

And all true, but, it had a better LFG ‘system’ than GW2 has. An extremely simple interface free system, sure, (mostly taken from ideas from FFXI iirc) where the buttons basically just put LFG or Request group text into the lfg channel (global) helping you out by saving you some typing but that’s already more than we have now in GW2, 5 years later.

Oh, and please do list the disadvantages of the GW1 lfg tool, especially compared to the current “tool” we’ve been given.

(And the Tera remark is nitpicking and you know it)

(edited by SadieDeAtreia.8912)

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

…sure Aion was a mess. I recall the 4hour server queues, the private shop exploit in order to stay logged in in order to avoid the 4hour login queues. Fun times.

And all true, but, it had a better LFG ‘system’ than GW2 has. An extremely simple interface free system, sure, (mostly taken from ideas from FFXI iirc) where the buttons basically just put LFG or Request group text into the lfg channel (global) helping you out by saving you some typing but that’s already more than we have now in GW2, 5 years later.

Oh, and please do list the disadvantages of the GW1 lfg tool, especially compared to the current “tool” we’ve been given.

(And the Tera remark is nitpicking and you know it)

I spent more than 5 years in Guild Wars 1 and I knew virtually NO ONE who used the LFG tool. I do remember people standing around spamming LFG all the time. And I do remember, quite vividly, people complaining about how bad the looking for group tool is. Are you sure you played the game.

It was tacked onto the outpost you were in, so if you weren’t in that outpost, you were out of luck. No LFG tool in any game is that limiting. You’d have to go and stand in a specific outpost to use that LFG tool.

In most games, you queue for something, you run around and play, and then when your queue comes up, you go in. That wasn’t possible with the GW 1 looking for group tool. There was nothing to do in cities but chat and sell. Bad, bad, design.

Did it even work cross zone? If you were in Zone 1 of Kamadan, and someone else was in Zone 2, did you see their LFG messages? I’m not even sure.

I wouldn’t even say that’s better than the LFG tool that already exists in GW 2. More people should use it.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Ok so you never spent more than 5 minutes in ToA or GoA then. I get it and I understand a bit better why you would think it didn’t work.

It does work across districts (not zones) and, because GW1 is 100% instanced it is perfectly understandable that it would work in the particular instance you’re in only. GW2, however, is a more typical MMO and not hindered by instancing (except for personal story and dungeons) so that limitation would not exist here… making the tool perfectly viable for the task at hand.

gw2lfg trolls

Adine.2184

you forgot rata sum with all those sins LF Leacher or in Vloxx doing the VSF

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

you forgot rata sum with all those sins LF Leacher or in Vloxx doing the VSF

lol I almost forgot about that! The tool also had some use when the kegman was still a viable farming companion… and back when Ursan Blessing was a thing… lol, so many fun memories come flooding back.

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

This is exactly why no MMO should be forced to rely on third party software to work effectively.

They really need to get an LFG tool up and running

gw2lfg trolls

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Anyone saying that this game doesn’t need an LFG tool is a moron. It is completely necessary and should be a high priority, instead of this Living Story crap.

7 months later and still nothing? Why do we even bother…

gw2lfg trolls

kokiman.2364

*not global
*awkward to use

You know, you can create guilds in GW2. Making guilds specific for each dungeon and representing them if you are looking for a group could solve all of your problems.

GuildWars 2

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

*not global
*awkward to use

You know, you can create guilds in GW2. Making guilds specific for each dungeon and representing them if you are looking for a group could solve all of your problems.

Ok, I normally ignore troll posts but you seem adamant on being responded to.

*not global

please scroll up to my previous post for an explanation on the subject.

*awkward to use

Well, computer skills are optional in gaming, I guess. My advice: Please stay away from anything that has more features than Notepad.

And this is a real gem: creating instance-specific guilds, as a LFG ‘tool’. Why didn’t I think of that.

gw2lfg trolls

kokiman.2364

And this is a real gem: creating instance-specific guilds, as a LFG ‘tool’. Why didn’t I think of that.

Because you are ignorant and stupid. What is the problem with it? Want everything handed to you like in World of Warcraft? I bet it is really annoying that the game forces you to go outside of cities.

GuildWars 2

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

/sigh
And that, kids, is why you never respond to trolls.

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

Ok so you never spent more than 5 minutes in ToA or GoA then. I get it and I understand a bit better why you would think it didn’t work.

It does work across districts (not zones) and, because GW1 is 100% instanced it is perfectly understandable that it would work in the particular instance you’re in only. GW2, however, is a more typical MMO and not hindered by instancing (except for personal story and dungeons) so that limitation would not exist here… making the tool perfectly viable for the task at hand.

No, I didn’t hang around at ToA or GoA. Not my style. I did all that stuff with my guild. and we were in and out. But the fact is, I remember people standing in outposts spamming LFG even just to do missions. If you don’t remember it, you must have been playing a different game.

Do you know how many times I was standing in a mission outpost and people would just add me without asking? The LFG tool was not widely used, and if you think it was…I’m not sure what to say.

That’s why so many people complained over the years about not having a separate LFG channel. If the LFG tool worked, why was anyone spamming chat?

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

Anyone saying that this game doesn’t need an LFG tool is a moron. It is completely necessary and should be a high priority, instead of this Living Story crap.

7 months later and still nothing? Why do we even bother…

I think calling people a moron because they disagree with you shows a bad attitude. Obviously YOU think this game needs it. I would assume anyone who pugs would agree. But I also believe that a LOT of people who pug are perfectly happy with gw2lfg.com. So it takes the urgency away from the matter.

You really shouldn’t call people names, just because they disagree with you. It doesn’t make your argument any stronger.

gw2lfg trolls

SadieDeAtreia.8912

The “playing a different game” remark made me smile.
:-)
I remember LFG spam. That is not the point, though. Lots of players made good use of the tool provided to us. Just because you were never part of that ‘scene’ doesn’t necessarily mean that it didn’t exist.

Anyway, I’m done trying to discuss the need for a proper, safe and controllable looking for group tool in this game.

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

The “playing a different game” remark made me smile.
:-)
I remember LFG spam. That is not the point, though. Lots of players made good use of the tool provided to us. Just because you were never part of that ‘scene’ doesn’t necessarily mean that it didn’t exist.

Anyway, I’m done trying to discuss the need for a proper, safe and controllable looking for group tool in this game.

Nothing to discuss. They’re working on it. It will be in the game when it’s ready. It’s not like Anet said you can’t have it. It’s not like I’m saying it won’t be good to have one in the game.

But they’re not going to rush it, and it’s not going to get here sooner than Anet is ready to release it. I think that’s pretty straightforward.

People who say OMFG it’s been 7 months, what the hell have they been doing make me laugh. This game obviously released early. Anyone with any common sense at all can see it. What they’ve been doing is playing catch up.

Some people simply have no patience.

gw2lfg trolls

Vayne.8563

And no one has answered me yet about the already existing in game, Guild Wars 2 looking for group tool. Has anyone even tried it?