hide party member/minions names

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rivurivurivurivu.3041

rivurivurivurivu.3041

1)how the hell do you hide them ? in a raid i cant see kitten cuz all the blue names covering the aoes is making me crazy.
i dont need to see the name of someone that already is in my squad and i dont need to see the name of my own minions all the freaking time.

2) where is the “go to the first dev post in a thread” button in this forum ?

Posted by: zumaneil.9538

zumaneil.9538

It’s really ridiculous… apparently we can’t have allied nameplates and health bars up all the time in PVP because the devs are anti-clutter… but in a raid with dozens and dozens of people there is no way to hide the names… Such hypocritical bullkitten.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can have more than 10 people in a raid? I didn’t know…

Perhaps, the Devs are working on a check-box for those that either do wish, or don’t wish to see names.

zumaneil.9538

I just did WvW for the first time and I honestly can’t express how much forced player nameplates ruins it for me… I pressed CTRL + SHIFT + H and wow does the game look simply amazing when you can actually see the massive battle taking place. But because nameplates are forced, all I am able to see is an army of blue text fighting an army of red text. Please, devs… Try it yourself. Tell me it isn’t a night and day ‘wow’ to see the massive battles taking place without the nameplates.
You’re hiding the beautiful game you’ve created behind cluttered blue and red text.

(edited by zumaneil.9538)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I just did WvW for the first time and I honestly can’t express how much forced player nameplates ruins it for me… I pressed CTRL + SHIFT + H and wow does the game look simply amazing when you can actually see the massive battle taking place. But because nameplates are forced, all I am able to see is an army of blue text fighting an army of red text. Please, devs… Try it yourself. Tell me it isn’t a night and day ‘wow’ to see the massive battles taking place without the nameplates.
You’re hiding the beautiful game you’ve created behind cluttered blue and red text.

You can see more colours actually, yellow for guild, green for allies, blue for squad/party and red for enemies. I’m really used to it and like to be able to see their health bar – from both allies and enemies. I’d like an option to have enemy (player) name plates only though, for extra blobby times in which I need to quit because my computer can’t handle it anymore.

zumaneil.9538

That’s fine if some people like the nameplates… All I’m asking for is an option; a hotkeyable option would be amazing.
It really looks fantastic without nameplates

Jana.6831

That’s fine if some people like the nameplates… I’ll I’m asking for is an option; a hotkeyable option would be amazing.
It really looks amazing without nameplates

Yeah, but you’ll die almost instantly because you can’t see chat, your healthbar, your cooldowns, your minimap (which can be helpful to see where the commander is headed).

Oh, btw: you can already turn it off in the options as far as I remember.
Yeah, you can, uncheck “show all player names” and that should do the trick

(edited by Jana.6831)

zumaneil.9538

Unchecking ‘show all player names’ does not remove player names in WvW or raids… You would think it would, but it does not.
I understand that CTRL+SHIFT+H is not an option. That is why I am asking for the option to hide the nameplates. I am merely pointing out that you can use CTRL+SHIFT+H to see what it would look like if there were no nameplates.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Oh, btw: you can already turn it off in the options as far as I remember.
Yeah, you can, uncheck “show all player names” and that should do the trick

I had originally replied to the thread to say similar, but since I was in game I joined a party and summoned a minion — these do not hide along with player/ally names when the option is unchecked.

Jana.6831

Unchecking ‘show all player names’ does not remove player names in WvW or raids… You would think it would, but it does not.
I understand that CTRL+SHIFT+H is not an option. That is why I am asking for the option to hide the nameplates. I am merely pointing out that you can use CTRL+SHIFT+H to see what it would look like if there were no nameplates.

It did for me at some point – going to check next time I’m online

Jana.6831

Et voila: no names – you will see the name of those you’re directly facing though. No idea how it’s when two blobs are colliding – I prefer to see the names as otherwise I think they’re npcs.

Attachments:

zumaneil.9538

It will remove the names of players if you are just out and about in the world, but if you join a big group for a raid (like for a world boss or event) or do WvW it DOES NOT remove the names.

Jana.6831

Then don’t join a squad?

ETA. I already said it: The names are important in wvw – enemy and ally names. If you’re not serious about wvw, then just run after a tag and don’t join a party or squad if seeing the names annoys you.

zumaneil.9538

You sure do have an answer for everything don’t you… Can you please give it a rest and just appreciate that the option to hide player names does not work in all circumstances and that some of us would like the option to hide the clutter of names without losing any other functionality (like joining squads, etc).
If you don’t want the option, then begone already. There is no need for you to continually respond to this thread.

Why are the names important in WvW? If it worked like it did outside of WvW and I could just press alt to temporarily bring up names, it would be fine.

Something as simple as a small red dot above enemy players would be far better than the immense clutter of names that all but hides the players beneath them.

Edit: In fact, I do believe there is the option to have enemy players appear in red armor… So a red dot is not even required and I fail to see the importance of player names in WvW.

Jana.6831

You sure do have an answer for everything don’t you… Can you please give it a rest and just appreciate that the option to hide player names does not work in all circumstances and that some of us would like the option to hide the clutter of names without losing any other functionality (like joining squads, etc).
If you don’t want the option then begone already, there is no need for you to continually respond to this thread.

Why are the names important in WvW? If it worked like it did outside of WvW and I could just press alt to temporarily bring up names, it would be fine.

Something as simple as a small red dot above enemy players would be far better than the immense clutter of names that all but hides the players beneath them.

Edit: In fact, I do believe there is the option to have enemy players appear in red armor… So a red dot is not even required and I fail to see the importance of player names in WvW.

You already have that option, that’s why I don’t give it a rest because you don’t appreciate that you have that option.
And you don’t get why the names health bars are super important in wvw – so I assume you’re not serious about wvw if you don’t want to see that info – and in that case you don’t need to be in a squad.
And because you don’t know wvw you assume that all this info is unimportant, but even in raids and dungeons it’s not.
So before anet wastes time and “improves” an option you already have…

ETA. It’s important to see enemies as soon as possible, and with that also allies. You need to know where to place your bomb if the enemies are half life, you need to know how the health of your allies is – that in every game mode.
It’s pretty fuzzy to find the one in your party at 10% health- and it gets even worse if it’s a zerg/blob. Unfortunately the names are tied to the health bars – you don’t really need the names but the health bar – that’s the important thing. A lot of people already said that instead of “XYZ bronze invader [guild]” there should be an abbreviation for the server name – and that is actually something I would support.
But something you guys would want wouldn’t be used, because the info you need is hidden.

(edited by Jana.6831)

zumaneil.9538

Uh, why do you keep repeating that the option is already there? No matter how many times you say, it’s not going to make it true.
The option to hide player names does not work in WvW. The option does not exist.
Not joining a squad is not a valid option.

Jana.6831

ctrl shift h = you don’t see anything
options: hide all players names – you will only see names if you have the players/npcs/mobs focussed and probably in a party/squad – didn’t test it there

So, come again?

Ok last try: if you care about your squad you want to see how their health is, the left thingy is insufficient for that info – so you better see their health bars on the field – also the enemies’ health bars so you can down someone who’s half life.
If you don’t care about that info you don’t care about your squad.

(edited by Jana.6831)

zumaneil.9538

Wow. For someone that talks like they know everything, you sure are wrong about a lot.
CTRL+SHIFT+H hides EVERYTHING!
I don’t want my whole UI hidden, ONLY the players’ names.
And I’ve already repeated myself several times but here goes one last try, the option to hide all player names DOES NOT WORK when you are in a group. You should not have to forgo squads just to hide player names.
If you can’t understand these simple concepts, then I am just going to assume you’re a common troll from here on out.

Jana.6831

Wow. For someone that talks like they know everything, you sure are wrong about a lot.
Have you ever even set foot in WvW? Because if you had you would know that you do not see enemy health bars unless you mouse-over the enemy, you only see their names. So, there is no benefit to seeing the names.
CTRL+SHIFT+H hides EVERYTHING!
I don’t want my whole UI hidden, ONLY the players’ names.
And I’ve already repeated myself several times but here goes one last try, the option to hide all player names DOES NOT WORK when you are in a group. You should not have to forgo squads just to hide player names.
If you can’t understand these simple concepts, then I am just going to assume you’re a common troll from here on out.

You can see my rank in the screen shot.
For the rest: read what I wrote again, I already referred to it.

ETA:

Because if you had you would know that you do not see enemy health bars unless you mouse-over the enemy, you only see their names.

What do you see?

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

Yeah, squad and party forcing nameplates is bad. Options are good.

Posted by: Chip Skylark.2367

Chip Skylark.2367

Wrong forums guys, the official gw2 forum is called Reddit

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Jana.6831 give it a rest, and accept that some people want the option for this. Stop acting like a parrot.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Yes, please give an option to turn off raid/squad names.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

+1 for this! This is a very broken feature for squads, wich is one of the strongest reason I try avoiding being in big squads as much as possible.

Plus that the pet name (for rangers) should be in a different color to make it able to see among a bunch of blue names in case u still have them up – say in a party or smaller squad… Hard to tell where u’r pet is sometimes.

Kima & Co

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

While we’re at it.
I would also love an option to abbrevate names.
Like in FF14, you can choose to only show the firstname,
Followed by a period and then the first letter of their second/lastname. Barrack.O e.g

Jana.6831

Jana.6831 give it a rest, and accept that some people want the option for this. Stop acting like a parrot.

If you read the person I was talking to: they needed a parrot
And well – the option for this is already in game – but oh well..

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

If you read the person I was talking to: they needed a parrot
And well – the option for this is already in game – but oh well..

There is no option for this in-game unfortunately. Hopefully that will change though.
I’m sure in time it will.

Posted by: Nemesis.3175

Nemesis.3175

I can’t even imagine that this option isn’t available …

Jana, you probably got a huge amount of true reasons to say that names are important in WvW, but there’s one thing I don’t understand : how is it possible to just SEE all the enemy AoE (and so dodge it properly) with all these blue names around …

Yes I’m a WvW noob, but I want to improve, everybody got to start one day. But a little bit more visibility would be appreciate, with all the names I don’t even know who I’m targetting nor what stands under my feet. Two informations that seem important to me.

So if you got some tricks to locate yourself and have a good appreciation of your environment, I’ll gladly hear it !
If you just got bionic eyes, well, maybe I’ll think about a transplant one day …