how do you deal with the grind?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

to 80 that is.

i want to get to 80, i want to farm up some decent gear for wvw.

i know you scale to 80 but it really doesnt measure up power wise.

to note, im ok with pretty much every other aspect of this games grinds, just not the 1-80 thing. mainly because the one avenue i want to play in, WVW, KINDA requires (ok not relaly it just helps) to be 80. plus i want to be 80 so i can grind some cool looking gear too.

im 35 right now, and god…its frustrating. but mmo’s are the only online games taht let me customize my characters stats, gear, skills, and looks to the point i enjoy

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

The term “grind” is very subjective. Especially when it comes to this game.
But if you are looking to level up quickly your best bet would be to do PvP, Edge of the Mists, Personal Story, events, dailies, and map completion.

Basically everything in the game grants EXP. Some people find it a chore, others don’t. Having level 5 alts I still don’t find it much of a chore.

As far as gear, its super easy to get exotic gear. You can buy it with karma, gold, WvW badges, etc. You don’t really need to grind for it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Same way I deal with chores. Turn off brain, do what I have to do.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I don’t because I don’t grind.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

at 16 lvl 80’s I say, well about 25-40 hours should be enough to get to lvl 80…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I crafted my characters to level 80. I usually don’t have gold, so spent cash to level some of mine. Cash=quick leveling

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well if you’ve really got your heart set on getting to 80 asap then try the Edge of the Mists. It’s basically a karma train but you get a lot of XP as well.
Although I do kinda feel like you’re missing out on the fact that the open world PvE experience really isn’t that bad.

Wolfe.3097

Well if you’ve really got your heart set on getting to 80 asap then try the Edge of the Mists. It’s basically a karma train but you get a lot of XP as well.
Although I do kinda feel like you’re missing out on the fact that the open world PvE experience really isn’t that bad.

id be fine with doing it AFTER hitting 80

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

IMO this is exactly the wrong attitude to have. Just play the game, run around and have fun, and you’ll be 80 before you know it. If you insist on getting to max level ASAP then you can always craft your way there; a friend of mine leveled his ranger from 1 to 80 literally doing nothing but crafting, and it didn’t take him very long. Although he did have all his materials saved up from an earlier character.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Wolfe.3097

IMO this is exactly the wrong attitude to have. Just play the game, run around and have fun, and you’ll be 80 before you know it. If you insist on getting to max level ASAP then you can always craft your way there; a friend of mine leveled his ranger from 1 to 80 literally doing nothing but crafting, and it didn’t take him very long. Although he did have all his materials saved up from an earlier character.

sorry ive never had fun with leveling.

i bought this game when it first came out, highest character was 23 before taht because i got sick of leveling and just did spvp all day everyday.

pdavis.8031

i bought this game when it first came out, highest character was 23 before taht because i got sick of leveling and just did spvp all day everyday.

Well you can do sPvP all day everyday and still level your character to 80. Based on what you are saying this might be the way to go.

You get leveling tomes from the reward tracks, and those come fairly frequently. So by doing just PvP you can get to level 80 by doing what you enjoy.

recognize my command!”

Wolfe.3097

Well you can do sPvP all day everyday and still level your character to 80. Based on what you are saying this might be the way to go.

You get leveling tomes from the reward tracks, and those come fairly frequently. So by doing just PvP you can get to level 80 by doing what you enjoy.

might be a good idea, tho ive noticed EoM gets a lot of karma heh

pdavis.8031

might be a good idea, tho ive noticed EoM gets a lot of karma heh

That is true, but it gets boring SUPER fast IMO.
Also for PvP the dungeon reward tracks also give dungeon gear so you can gear out your character and level and never leave pvp.

But I think you at least need to do the story mode for the dungeons to unlock the reward tracks

recognize my command!”

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

I am just curious OP, how long have you been playing, and what exactly do you do for leveling?

If you pvp all day every day, you should have at least one level 80 in less than 2 weeks, unless you lose a lot.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I deal with it by not doing it. The biggest part of the game for me is leveling characters and I do it in the open world. I generally take a break from that after I get a couple to 80 to relieve the sense of grind that comes. I’ve just 80’ed up about 10 in the last two months so this leveling break I’m on right now could be lengthy

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Wolfe.3097

I am just curious OP, how long have you been playing, and what exactly do you do for leveling?

If you pvp all day every day, you should have at least one level 80 in less than 2 weeks, unless you lose a lot.

i stopped playing for a long time, i played spvp every day when it first came out.

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Oh ok, your experience is probably before pvp reward track/daily reward was introduced then.

Now, you get a load of tomes just from logging in 28 days, so level to 80 is kinda like a joke now.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

i stopped playing for a long time, i played spvp every day when it first came out.

Ah yes they didn’t have the new reward tracks back then.

Wolfe.3097

Oh ok, your experience is probably before pvp reward track/daily reward was introduced then.

Now, you get a load of tomes just from logging in 28 days, so level to 80 is kinda like a joke now.

ah sweet. good to know! i wasnt aware.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Playing the game is apparently a grind now. Why even play?

Wolfe.3097

i dont like leveling

i like playing the game

i dont find leveling to be a central point of my enjoyment.

id be totally happy with a game taht was like a mmo in every way except you dont have levels and you dont have to unlock skills.

but other then leveling i do enjoy this game, just putting that out there.

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

i dont like leveling

i like playing the game

id be totally happy with a game taht was like a mmo in every way except you dont have levels and you dont have to unlock skills.

Try PvP then? For me leveling is part of playing the game, and GW2 makes it very easy/relaxing compared to most MMOs. If you skip leveling altogether, you’ll miss out on a large portion of the game, as well as all the gold, karma and crafting mats that you could use later to get gear.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Grind?

looks around …What grind?

I must be doing it wrong….

Seriously though, I don’t find leveling to be grindy. It goes much faster in this game than it does in others. Hell, I don’t even have to play the character I’m leveling, I can take the tomes and xp scrolls I earn from pvp and dailies on my other characters and use them on the baby. When I do play the leveling character, I get xp for practically everything. “Oh you sneezed? Here’s some xp!” Just change up what you’re doing once in a while.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Wolfe.3097

i dont like leveling

i like playing the game

Try PvP then? For me leveling is part of playing the game, and GW2 makes it very easy/relaxing compared to most MMOs. If you skip leveling altogether, you’ll miss out on a large portion of the game, as well as all the gold, karma and crafting mats that you could use later to get gear.

no i wont, i can just go back to them at a later date and complete them.

easy peasy.

i dont have a problem with questing, or crafting, or doing dungeons, i like them. i just dont like doing them to level. i dont like leveling.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

You can get to 80 eventually by just logging in every day. Once a week you will get some tomes of knowledge to gain levels. Assuming you are not saving stuff for ascended weapons at this point you will get 16 a month (1 in week 1, 2 in week 2, 3 in week 3, 4 in week 4, 6 at the end of the month). In 5 months you will have an 80 doing nothing but log in. Most people want to do some more so say you only do the dailies and a few hearts …. you will shoot up the levels in no time.

Generally most people find a level is anywhere from an hour to 2 of gaming depending on how much effort they want to put in.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

This game should never have had any levels. It’s a crude, artificial and stupid way of handling character progression that should have died with Gary Gygax.

Wolfe.3097

This game should never have had any levels. It’s a crude, artificial and stupid way of handling character progression that should have died with Gary Gygax.

id be curious about that in single player games. i know ive been enjoying witcher 3 but i find leveling tiresome. gear i understood i guess. but the leveling? meh. just let me be max level, build a character so i can fight other max level c haracters.

i feel like leveling is hand holding.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Cheap booze, unfiltered cigarettes, and women who smell of both.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Cheap men, unfiltered booze, and cigarettes that smell like both.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

You can level pretty easy in spvp. Maybe not the fastest way but it’s not slow imo. It would be great if they added a crafting station in the mist so you could craft while waiting on a match.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Cheap booze, unfiltered cigarettes, and women who smell of both.

Cheap men, unfiltered booze, and cigarettes that smell like both.

shots fired boys, shots fired.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Hit the zerg in eotm with +10/15% xp food
Craft a little
Do daily pvp to get tomes of knowledge form reward tracks.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I did the 1-80 grind once; at release. It was brutal and took me 3 months. My goal was 1x level a day.

I have occupied myself since release playing PvP and WvWvW. I also have leveled all other classes to 80 using tomes.

Do sPvP.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Cheap men

Doesn’t this describe all men, in some form or another?

XD

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’ve leveled 15 (I think) characters to 80. Honestly, it’s never felt like a grind to me.

pdavis.8031

Cheap men

XD

Hey now!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

recognize my command!”

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Cheap men

XD

Hey now!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

lmao

So does my husband….

And my brothers….

And my cousin….

My son… and my nephews….

We’ve all got a price…it value just matures as we do it seems.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

There is no grind to 80. There is nothing even resembling a grind as far as levelling goes, when compared to other games that require weeks or months to reach the maximum level killing mobs for eight hours a day, every single day.

And these days you practically get levels for free from login rewards.

It would probably kill most modern players (like, literally make them have a heart attack) if they saw the amount of effort you had to put into games like Everquest.

I did the 1-80 grind once; at release. It was brutal and took me 3 months. My goal was 1x level a day.

I have occupied myself since release playing PvP and WvWvW. I also have leveled all other classes to 80 using tomes.

Do sPvP.

I find this quite confusing. I’ve heard players say it alot, but been unable to experience it myself despite levelling 11 alts. I have avoided all XP boosters, booster food, banners, etc. yet I still have not managed to make less than one level per hour, just from running around, doing random events, harvesting and killing aggro mobs.

Is there some hidden difficulty that I am completely missing?

I have absolutely been dying for a harder grind. I want to be able to explore more of the world at a lower level, to have real challenges. But despite my best efforts, I cannot hold back that dreaded XP bar in this game, and before I even have 30% world completion, I am already level 80 and suffering from the broken downscaling in this game that makes me power through all remaining content easily.

I guess I’m just an old timer who misses having to lift a finger to do something.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)