how do you feel about passive swiftness?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Imo only thief should had that passive trait/utility to improve speed, probably lighning trait from ele or engi, that would make game slower but way more tactical instead of the speeding in favour of blob trains.

Also wvw maps would seam to be large due speed of the blob being reduced for the normal speed….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’m addicted to Rune of the Traveler or Rune of Speed on my Guardian.

I cannot not have it.

Really hope you’re using it in WvW then and not PvE, otherwise… facedesk.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I use Signet of the Hunt to get around and to help me sort of . . . sequence break some of the jumping puzzles. I turn it off when I don’t necessarily need the speed boost to run around great distances (defense in WvW, event chains where I can be sure someone’s dropping fields for it…).

Don’t really need much more than that.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I must admit, I’d love all characters to just get a 25% passive bump and keep any speed buffs as 33% and burst only. I have a lot of characters I make ability and rune choices for simply to get the speed buff. I have a warrior that has a nice set of ‘non-speed’ runes that I went with, and the only way I can go fast is to use a horn. It’s a bummer.

Having said that, I’ve lived with it for 2.5 years, I guess it is what it is.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I cannot not have it.

I think that’s part of where the problem is. I “could” use traveler’s rune or speed rune, but it is widely frown upon by others.

Many class dont’ need to sacrifice their meta to get good mobility.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Many reasons why those classes are even part of the meta is because of their mobility.

Just give S/F on mesmer the ability to stack on other swiftness, and problem solved.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think that light armor wearers should all have a signet for 25% speed (speed and utility, so least expensive), medium armor wearers should all have a trait option to get 25% speed (speed at the cost of spec so a medium expense), and heaver armor wearers should have to rune for it (mobility and heavy armor should cost you an arm and a leg).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its a question of in combat speed and out of combat speed. The ability to “jump” makes for better in combat speed but effects that simply make you move faster as a passive effect tends to be better for out of combat.

So take for example ele vs mez ele has only soso in combat speed they mainly have one blink effect on a some what long cd with a short ranges and one skill (most of the time) that is a leap like effect but ele has some of the best swiftness generation. Mez has a number of blinks leaps all on a low cd making there in combat speed very high but they have some of the worst swiftness generation.

Not all the classes hold to this namely Wars lol but for the most part this seems to be the main point for mobility. Your good at in combat movement and bad at non combat movement or bad at combat movement but good at non combat movement.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

How does my Guardian feel about passive speed buffs? Very salty.
My Ele, on the other hand? Scared of dying from walking down a hill.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

thieves, elementalists, necromancers etc. get passive signet that grants swiftness (your character runs faster).

but guardians, engingeers and warriors for example dont have that.

if other classes got that, why dont these?
of course i feel it’s a disadvantage.
and please don’t tell me alternative options. it’s slipping from the point i’m trying to make here.

this thread is about why some classes have passive swiftness and others don’t.
explain!

It’s funny that you didn’t mention mesmers, the only class that really is at a disadvantage when it comes to speed.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

The professions are different. Mind blowing, right?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

It’s funny that you didn’t mention mesmers, the only class that really is at a disadvantage when it comes to speed.

Because overall I have poor experience of different classes. I started playing this game few months ago, and I’m that super casual PvE player that slowly builds the experience over the game. I take things easy. I hope you understand.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I cannot not have it.

I think that’s part of where the problem is. I “could” use traveler’s rune or speed rune, but it is widely frown upon by others.

Many class dont’ need to sacrifice their meta to get good mobility.

Doesn’t everyone have something able to match or exceed that utility other than guard/mesmer though? And for them use Hylek pots mixed with their stability tools and you’re able to exceed the 25%. Costs some, but it’s doable and still very very cheap overall.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

No thank you op.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Guardians have it the worst with no 25% movement speed in either traits or signets. The only access to swiftness a guardian has are tied to defensive builds through shouts and staff. With zero access to any swiftness, offensive builds are limited to using traveler runes on most builds.

Mesmers are a close second.

Uhm, so Guardians can have perma-swiftness now if you’re looking strictly for travel. Even not specced for it, Retreat + Save Yourselves + staff #3 and you travel at 33% permanently.

“OMG but I lose utility skills!” — you don’t need swiftness in dungeons, you don’t need swiftness in WvW zerg (as long as you stay with the zerg), you don’t need swiftness in PvP as a guardian. So what do you need to have speed for then? For travelling, right? So don’t be lazy and swap your utility skills if you know you will be running around exploring as a Guardian. Inconvenience isn’t an excuse for not using the tools you are given properly. Guardians are one of the fastest. Especially since they have GS Leap on top of perma-swiftness for that added distance.

Mesmers are by far the slowest class.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Quite hoenstly, I just use rune of traveler or speed, it’s unreal annoying to keep swaping etc.

And I wouldn’t use retreat + save yourselves in for example EOTM. There are better utility for it. I’ll rather have stability and some kind of reflect. Rune of speed is actually a good rune for EOTM anyway.

Dungeon, sometimes people get really picky if you didn’t max your dps.

Obviously if you don’t care about capping(karma or wvw exp), you won’t care about running faster. I happened to care about it.

Also those speed do help in dungeon. Obviously if you are a good player, you wont’ need to worry about moving faster. But I’m not. Besdies it also makes skipping easier, or doing jumping puzzle in harpie fractal.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Swiftness in dungeons with decent party comps should never be an issue unless people are simply being lazy. Most professions have some way to contribute to it. But, you also don’t get a dungeon without a warrior very often, and you can swap in the warhorn and hit 4 every so often to keep swiftness flowing pretty decently. Combine that with just about any other swiftness ability and you’re set.

Of course most people are lazy and unwilling to contribute to the team so you see warriors all the time using their Signet of Rage for their personal swiftness and then GS rushing off screaming “see ya suckers!”.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Mesmers and guardians are the worst in terms of out-of-combat mobility. Both of them need runes of travelers to be viable in WvW roaming.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Just wondering why nobody uses lightning fields or stacked swiftness symbols, warhorns and such…

Everybody talks about meta, and they forget utility and functionality. You can do 10 times the damage but if you arrive late you are left holding… well nothing.

Being -meta- doesn’t mean you have to stop improvising or thinking altogether IMHO. Warriors have banners in -meta-, but most will not take ‘m in dungeons after the fight and loose out on dps next fight and so most never learn skill 3 is a AOE speedboost as well and skill 4 is a rush, like GS’s….

Somebody said this game is a game of cooperation. While in WvW my necro has no speed boost whatsoever, and I tend to arrive at the same time as the zerg…

All just AoE fields….. Of course when soloing content some things can be annoying, And there is always sugar rush… 10% is better then nothing IMHO.

1 guard has 2 shouts (reatreat / save yourselves) and a symbol of swiftness, when you just wait 2 seconds you have 20 secs of swiftness, and you’ll break even after 6 seconds… the other 12 seconds are pure speed.

Changing weapons to make use of functionality is normal in PvE/Dungeons… also for might, Empower, replace with GS. I do not believe it is still allowed in PvP but in WvW I do so as well…

But 1 thing I DO find strange, it’s the weird swiftnness skill of the mesmer, You only get swiftness If you do not have swiftnes… It’s one of the strangest skills around…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Just wondering why nobody uses lightning fields

Because nobody but Elementalists have any, and those are only on one underwater skill, one staff skill, and a terrible elite.

You do see people blasting Static Field for swiftness, but the incredible scarcity of lightning fields is why you don’t see it often.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

How does my Guardian feel about passive speed buffs? Very salty.
My Ele, on the other hand? Scared of dying from walking down a hill.

Hahahah! So much this!

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

Use Superior Rune of Traveler.

Problem solved.

Meanwhile a whole new batch of problems appear. Using these runes waters down many potentially great builds and narrows down the options, at least for the Mesmer.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Use Superior Rune of Traveler.

Problem solved.

Meanwhile a whole new batch of problems appear. Using these runes waters down many potentially great builds and narrows down the options, at least for the Mesmer.

imo mesmer needs a “mantra of movement” or something for a speed buff. Mantras can be worked into builds easily (imo of course)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

imo mesmer needs a “mantra of movement” or something for a speed buff. Mantras can be worked into builds easily (imo of course)

That’s a fresh idea actually, I like it. I don’t think I’ve heard it before.

Still, reworking one of the signet passives sounds better. The condi one might be used by some people, but the random boons on Inspiration passive are just useless and only good for first-time leveling mesmers since it looks cool.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Yes please to Mantra improvements!.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

No centaur rune + healing mantra mesmers here? I thought most people who roamed on mesmer knew about this easy way to get perma-swiftness ._.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

eh, if classes with the ability to want to waste a utility slot just to move faster, more power to them.

the cost of no mounts and whiny white knights pointing at waypoints, they see a speed boost as unbalanced even when every single character/profession can have it.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Map choice and environment have a big factor on class speed.

A lot of people here are saying that mesmers are slow, but they can just blink up to midpoint on Kyhlo, or blink up from mid point to stillness without having to take the long circular path around the outside of the map. In this case they are certainly faster than “fast classes” like Ranger.

And yet, without the Y axis advantage from the teleport, they are painfully slow on large flat map like Foefire.

The only class that is screwed because it is too slow is necromancer.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Mesmers and guardians are the worst in terms of out-of-combat mobility. Both of them need runes of travelers to be viable in WvW roaming.

I command and roam on my guardian in WvW. I do use runes of the traveler, but I was fine before that too. Just bring “Save Yourselves!” and “Retreat!” with Superior Aria. Staff 3, sword 2, and greatsword 3 can also be helpful for moving faster, as long as you don’t accidentally hit something.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Engineers are the second fastest class in the game if traited with Speedy Kits, the fastest is shortbow Thief.

Warriors have a traitable swiftness when carrying certain weapons.

I made a race with a sword/horn-GS warrior on my engi traited with speedy kits, using rocket boots and slick shoes, and I lost. That was before the buff on super speed, though, and on uneven ground.

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Guardians have it the worst with no 25% movement speed in either traits or signets. The only access to swiftness a guardian has are tied to defensive builds through shouts and staff. With zero access to any swiftness, offensive builds are limited to using traveler runes on most builds.

Mesmers are a close second.

Uhm, so Guardians can have perma-swiftness now if you’re looking strictly for travel. Even not specced for it, Retreat + Save Yourselves + staff #3 and you travel at 33% permanently.

“OMG but I lose utility skills!” — you don’t need swiftness in dungeons, you don’t need swiftness in WvW zerg (as long as you stay with the zerg), you don’t need swiftness in PvP as a guardian. So what do you need to have speed for then? For travelling, right? So don’t be lazy and swap your utility skills if you know you will be running around exploring as a Guardian. Inconvenience isn’t an excuse for not using the tools you are given properly. Guardians are one of the fastest. Especially since they have GS Leap on top of perma-swiftness for that added distance.

Mesmers are by far the slowest class.

Movement speed is a huge factor for dps meditation guardians. Sure, a bunker won’t need any while sitting on point spamming staff. However, a melee dps guardian will be kited to death without any even on point. With no access to movement speed through traits (the only class without any) it pigeonholes medizerk guardians into using traveler runes.

Staff + Retreat + Save Yourselves works great in PvE. While going on resource runs it’s great to put down a SoS on the node and stack swiftness while mining it. It’s not remotely viable though to do that in PvP/roaming WvW. In combat speed is really important, and mesmers have the choice to trait for 10% per clone. So in regards to that, Mesmers have the advantage. They can also take focus with scepter or sword to fit both power and condition builds to supplement their movement speed instead of having to take up an entire slot on a weapon that does not fit the build.

But thanks for assuming that I was too lazy to swap a couple skills for simply traveling. I wonder if you even read my post before assuming anything, I was clearly talking about builds in pvp. Maybe you just don’t play enough guardian to understand my point.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

No centaur rune + healing mantra mesmers here? I thought most people who roamed on mesmer knew about this easy way to get perma-swiftness ._.

I am aware of it, and used it prior to the crit dmg nerf.

Centaur runes aren’t exactly ideal for my condi shatter build.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~