i think it was a mistake not to have a healing profession

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

9 seconds is not a big cooldown for a 3k heal. I played gw1.

It’s not random boonspam, they have to be aimed, they are small radius. And something with a long cooldown does not get spammed, do you even play this game?

I disagree with your definition of homogenized, trinity games are way less distinct in playstyle. When the only job of “dps” is to stay out of the fire, the combat is way more boring.

When enemies can turn around and hit you for 3k damage in less than 3 seconds?

What is Ranger then if not a DPS class in GW1?

It’s not a healer.

It’s not a tank.

Its’ primary role was to spread conditions and interrupt key skills, in PvP at least, which is where this system shines.

So you’re saying that this was a boring role? That’s denying a whole lot of depth and team integrity that the Ranger class held in GW1.

Also, by your example of “staying out of the fire”, i’m poised to assume you take your knowledge of the system i’m suggesting instead of what we have currently entirely from World Of Warcraft. That is also to make the assumption that you don’t have proper or adequate knowledge of the mechanics, systems, and class roles in GW1 which is where the suggestion of deepening the combat mechanics to be similar with the use of a healer paradigm even comes from. I am forced to believe this post is forged on ill-founded, ignorant perceptions.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Rangers were pretty much useless besides traps. But I like to bash professions, so don’t take my word for it. Listen to countless other testimonies of my fellow GW1 players.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

Rangers were pretty much useless besides traps. But I like to bash professions, so don’t take my word for it. Listen to countless other testimonies of my fellow GW1 players.

No class was useless in GW1. Interrupt ranger was one of my favorite builds. We don’t even wanna go into the spirit build when it hit meta.

lothefallen.7081

You mean GW2 Rangers are pretty much useless outside of traps? GW1 Ranger Traps were used mostly in farm builds because they were interrupted upon being hit. Definitely not a focal point for building a Ranger in GW1.

The Ardent Aegis

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

True, I am confusing the GW2 ranger with the GW1 ranger.

My apologies.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Well for one, it creates more group depth and teamwork than what we have currently. When the roles depend on each other rather than just work along side each other with rather homogeneous effects, many players find that to be more satisfying. After all, i bought this game thinking it was an MMORPG, not an online cooperative action / adventure game with platforming elements.

Firstly, no, it doesn’t. It places the fate of an entire group in the hands of 1-2 players who, if untalented, can ruin the experience for EVERYONE else. Failing because someone else failed at their one job? That is unacceptable to me. And it happened so often in GW1 that when GW2 promised “no trinity”, I was 100% on board with it before I’d even played so much as one second of the game. Losing because another player lacks skill isn’t my idea of fun. Me rescuing my entire party from certain failure in a dungeon by using my own dodging skills and clever tactics? THAT is good game play.

Secondly, let’s pretend for a moment that it does “create more group depth”. In what ways exactly? I see you say this all the time, but when asked for specifics, you can never actually provide examples of how this game’s combat is so vastly inferior to GW1’s. You just keep repeating the same thing. So now I’m putting you on the spot: how does GW1’s trinity gameplay “create more group depth”? I want specific examples.

I have responded, but it’s too long to put as a post so i am adding an attachment.

You know as an Engineer, I aoe damage but in less than a second I switch kits and become a healer…

This whole post seem ridiculous to me…

lothefallen.7081

Well for one, it creates more group depth and teamwork than what we have currently. When the roles depend on each other rather than just work along side each other with rather homogeneous effects, many players find that to be more satisfying. After all, i bought this game thinking it was an MMORPG, not an online cooperative action / adventure game with platforming elements.

Firstly, no, it doesn’t. It places the fate of an entire group in the hands of 1-2 players who, if untalented, can ruin the experience for EVERYONE else. Failing because someone else failed at their one job? That is unacceptable to me. And it happened so often in GW1 that when GW2 promised “no trinity”, I was 100% on board with it before I’d even played so much as one second of the game. Losing because another player lacks skill isn’t my idea of fun. Me rescuing my entire party from certain failure in a dungeon by using my own dodging skills and clever tactics? THAT is good game play.

Secondly, let’s pretend for a moment that it does “create more group depth”. In what ways exactly? I see you say this all the time, but when asked for specifics, you can never actually provide examples of how this game’s combat is so vastly inferior to GW1’s. You just keep repeating the same thing. So now I’m putting you on the spot: how does GW1’s trinity gameplay “create more group depth”? I want specific examples.

I have responded, but it’s too long to put as a post so i am adding an attachment.

You know as an Engineer, I aoe damage but in less than a second I switch kits and become a healer…

You can heal, sure, but you don’t become a healer in the true sense. Sustained, reliable, distinct…none of those descriptors fit with any healing options or even the base mechanics in this game. Obviously the breaking point is that many feel that homogeneous, indirect, and thoughtless healing on an irregular or burst basis is sufficient to act as a satisfactory and again, distinct support / healer role.

I see this as something all classes can do in one form or another. Those flavor differences are not viable, mechanical distinctions in my opinion. They don’t add much depth or risk / reward when they are not active, specialized role mechanics, but mere additions to the “jack of all trades, master of none” scheme that every profession in GW2 is a victim of.

Again this is just my opinion. What’s unsatisfactory to me may be satisfactory to you.

The Ardent Aegis

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

You can heal, sure, but you don’t become a healer in the true sense. Sustained, reliable, distinct…none of those descriptors fit with any healing options or even the base mechanics in this game. Obviously the breaking point is that many feel that homogeneous, indirect, and thoughtless healing on an irregular or burst basis is sufficient to act as a satisfactory and again, distinct support / healer role.

I see this as something all classes can do in one form or another. Those flavor differences are not viable, mechanical distinctions in my opinion. They don’t add much depth or risk / reward when they are not active, specialized role mechanics, but mere additions to the “jack of all trades, master of none” scheme that every profession in GW2 is a victim of.

Again this is just my opinion. What’s unsatisfactory to me may be satisfactory to you.

Not a true healer? LMAO

ok what part of healing others and buffing/debuffing makes me different from your definition of a healer….

tell me which part of my skills prevents me from doing so…

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I don’t think it was a mistake, however I do think it was ignorant to presume that people do not want to play them. Any class is suppose to be able to preform any role right ? We can tank, we can dps, but with the acception of a couple classes (and even those are lack luster at heals) there is no way to play heals which is dissapointing to many.

I love the game but with no dedicated healing class I’m getting bored fast its what I enjoy playing and I’m a little miffed that Anet decided that people don’t want to play dedicated heals.

Oh and fix whatever you broke with your maintenance please, it would be great if I could log on to ANY character that happens to be in DR without getting booted on log in.

(edited by Nuzt.7894)

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

I don’t think it was a mistake, however I do think it was ignorant to presume that people do not want to play them. Any class is suppose to be able to preform any role right ? We can tank, we can dps, but with the acception of a couple classes (and even those are lack luster at heals) there is no way to play heals which is dissapointing to many.

I love the game but with no dedicated healing class I’m getting bored fast its what I enjoy playing and I’m a little miffed that Anet decided that people don’t want to play dedicated heals.

Oh and fix whatever you broke with your maintenance please, it would be great if I could log on to ANY character that happens to be in DR without getting booted on log in.

Then why did you start playing gw2 in the first place. You knew there was not gonna be any healer class and still you started playing now months later you complain that there are no healer class.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I love the fact that there are no healers, or DPS or tanks for that matter.

Far from making combat homogeneous it creates depth by adaptation.
Every encounter is different and the professions are varied enough so that players can choose their own roles and be fairly self sufficient- I love this.

Healing is not the be all and end all in this game- as someone else said it is what you do when you are already losing.

Take my engi for e.g. she is built around power/precision and when I solo I take whatever down as fast as I can and hardly ever need to heal.

When I am in a group event I have time to look at the situation and I often switch to support if I see things are going badly- laying on AOE poisons, burns, blinds, heals and buffs.
The fact that I can do this with one character without respec / reskill is awesome to me.
why on earth would i want to stand at the back and spam heal or worse stand in the fire and expect some one else to heal me?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

@fallen

DPS is DPS is DPS.

I mostly played on my ele in GW1. For PvE it was rotation, rotation, rotation. You didn’t really actually play the game. Yes, you were pressing keys on the keyboard, but you were essentially just a bot. Keep attunement and your resto aura up, immolate-glowing gaze when cooldown is ready, liquid flame when cooldown is up, sprinkle in elite and your other remaining skill as energy and situation dictate, repeat until mob is dead. Yawn. The tank tanks, the healer heals, the dps dps, the mob dies. There’s no dynamic to GW1 PvE. It’s just a wait for the fight to end to see what loot drops. GW1 PvE is boring. If you leave town with the right build, it’s just about pulling mechanics and no one screwing up too bad. It has the dynamics of a rousing game of solitaire.

I enjoyed playing the game when I was into it. You hit the monster, the monster dies, you pick up the loot. Sounds like most rpg type games. But GW2 is different. Yeah, a lot of fights end up being simple “tank and spank” type encounters, but when the difficulty starts ramping up, or that much more active aggro change kicks in and kitten starts to hit the fan, there’s something to do. Dodging at the right time to get your attack off but avoid theirs, popping all your utilities to try last that extra 2 seconds until your heal skill finishes recharging, using terrain to buy yourself some more time and distance, there’s plenty to do in GW2 combat. Stick a dedicated healer into that and what do you get? You get the same boring model that every other game on the market suffers from. Why dodge that attack? The healer will get me if I go too low. Better not move over that way, it’ll put me out of heal range, better just stand in one spot and mindlessly beat on this mob.

I get it. Some people like playing healer. It’s what they want to be. For those people, maybe they should find a different game. Some people want to stand motionless, blank stare through their screen, and press the same 3 buttons in a row as soon as the numbers finish counting down on their screen. Again, maybe this isn’t the game for them. There’s dozens of games like that on the market, and it seems many people enjoy them. However, there’s so many people for whom GW2 is the game for them. For those people, there’s really no other games on the market to go to. GW2 offers things other games don’t, and is a completely different experience and we like that. If you’re still that hung up on having dedicated healers, the answer isn’t in changing a game so many people love to fit your ideal. The answer is to find one of the dozens of games that already fit the mold you’re demanding.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Okay, read it. Uh, this is gonna take a while to properly dissect because I have so many problems with it.

1) A lot of what you said about GW1 also applies to GW2.

The Mesmer is in charge of hex pressure, making foes take more risks when activating their skills.

Also applies to GW2, where stacking Confusion is a viable strategy.

The Rangers’ roles are to spread condition pressure and interrupt key skills.

Still an option in GW2, as well, although I tend to prefer straight-up damage from the longbow.

The monk is in charge of healing, mitigating, and preventing damage. This may seem black and white, but with a variety of skill options, it becomes very diverse.

If you wish to argue that GW1 heals and protection were “very diverse”, then I challenge you to prove that GW2’s heals and protection are somehow not “diverse”. There is far more selection in how you heal and in what you’re healing in GW2 than in GW1. There are also various options for protection of other group members as well.

2) You’re over-glorifying everything.

The Warriors’ are in charge of applying direct, consistent pressure to single targets in an attempt to extend the opposing healers into depleting energy.

So their job is to deal lots of damage over an extended period? Just say “their job is is to deal damage”, then. That’s how you treat GW2’s combat, as nothing but damage regardless of the variety of forms and ways it is implemented, so why not GW1’s? You’re oversimplifying GW2’s combat as “deal damage and nothing else”, but then also hyping up GW1’s combat to the point where “deal damage” is meant to sound like something unique and glorious. Be consistent or no one will take your argument seriously.

3) You claim that it’s inaccurate to say that the game relies on the Monk, yet in your own reply, you continue to focus on the importance of keeping the Monk alive.

This is why saying that the fate of the team rests on the healer, in most cases, is very false, at least in GW1. If you let a hammer Warrior knock your own monk on his duff because you were unaware, the monk may die. If a Ranger didn’t interrupt the Mesmer’s Backfire on the Monk, the Monk may die.

If the monk is not a “relied upon” role, then you should be able to survive without him. That is the definition of dependence: you can’t do without it. You cannot play GW1 without that healer role filled, and you can’t survive if the monk is down. You admit this yourself by your own declarations. So you cannot possibly argue that this is not placing the entire party’s fate in the hands of that healer, because whether he is alive or dead determines whether your party succeeds or fails.

It sounds to me like you don’t actually have good reasons for hating GW2’s combat, you simply don’t like it because it’s not GW1. And that being the case, GW1 is still running and you’re welcome to go play it if that’s what you really want. But GW2 has a very different system of combat by intent, and it was known from the beginning that they were going to do this. If you bought GW2 expecting trinity game play, you weren’t paying attention to any of the press releases, and the blame is on you. There’s nothing wrong with telling players “there is no healer in this game, which means you’re responsible for your own safety and well-being”, and if you want that safety blanket back, GW1 is still open for business. But don’t insist that GW2’s combat is bad simply because it’s not a trinity model, there are lots of games that don’t have trinity game play and are still fun to play.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I can give multiple reasons (some/all of which have been stated already) of why having a healer in GW2 is a bad idea.

http://gw2101.gtm.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/en/dynamic-events-comic.jpg

1. It is advertised as a game without distinct roles so to differ from that would cause legal cases (comics are still up displaying Anets view on Healers.)

http://gw2101.gtm.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/en/healing-death-comic01.jpg

I will add more later but have stuff to do

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

GW2 is all about prevent damage than restore damage, this is totally different to most MMO we used to play. Reason behind the low healing effectiveness is to force players to either dodge or use interrupt to counter the deadly hit from enemy.

All well and going in a 1v1 fight. But 1v2+ and the idea of interrupts mattering much goes out the window. This because of pure mental processing needs to make effective use, rather than simply spam, those interrupts. At that point you are simply better off defaulting to a AOE spamming kite.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

i love this game the only thing i see needs fixing is profession roles like when we all zerg a champ no one knows who is doing what just one big mass attcking the champ i think it was a mistake not to have a healing profession and so o what do you all thinkgood are mean reply is fine

Hi robert,
i think we don’t have one healing profession, we have seven healing professions.

all professions except thief can be built for full party healing, some better, some worse, but they all can be built for healing and damage mitigation.

even rangers can be ‘uber’ party healers when built such way.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

There are 2 classes that look like they were kinda sorta intended to be healers… but fail miserably. The Engineer and the Elementalist.

Honestly, they just need to work on those.

Really? Ele is closest to a healing class and they need to work on it?

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

As a reasonably serious former raid healer myself (nothing too hardcore, but I healed raids starting on vanilla MC/Ony/BWL/AQ20 and ending on MH in WoW), I disagree – but it took me a while.

Point is: there’s at least one other awesome MMO available to wannabe raid healers, so I’d go there if I couldn’t do without that feeling. Yes, I do miss raids – let’s just call them structured, large-scale DE’s – but not for the healing, anymore. Instead of healing I keep an eye on the party and support when and how I can – a much more dynamic experience than looking at a raid HP grid and debuffs while not standing in AoE: placing combo fields, applying stuns and other control tactically and -yes- even healing peeps a bit once in a while: it’s awesome !

Stick with it, and you’ll learn soon enough “who’s doing what” in a zerg, which is going to be ace knowledge once ANet drops raid-like open-world DE’s that DO require more than zerging. I’m confident they will.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Akaji.1296

Akaji.1296

All I have to say to the OP is this: learn to dodge, learn when to stop attacking, learn when to back off. Most non-trivial encounters are designed in such a way that simply standing still and hacking away at the enemy will not work – and it’s not just that a boss will occasionally use his ‘gimmick’ and you need to deal with that (a la WoW), but that the entire fight is usually ripe with opportunities to avoid or reduce damage.

One poster mentioned that skills in GW1 were built “like a stack of cards”. I have to completely agree with him on that one, and I’m moderately disappointed by the relative lack of skill customization in GW2. That said, we should keep in mind that vanilla GW1 didn’t have nearly as many skills as it did after the expansions began coming out, and the options for truly unique builds weren’t very prevalent until then.

I do wish that the GW2 team would open up slots 6 and 10 for utility skills in addition to the ability to contain healing/elite skills. I’m also hopeful that the expansions will have a lot of new skills – and maybe even that we’ll see some new skills added in pre-expansion patches.

Posted by: Akaji.1296

Akaji.1296

I can give multiple reasons (some/all of which have been stated already) of why having a healer in GW2 is a bad idea. […]

1. It is advertised as a game without distinct roles so to differ from that would cause legal cases (comics are still up displaying Anets view on Healers.)

I doubt that there would be any chance of a legal case being in any way successful against ANet (settlement or otherwise). Even if we don’t discuss law and court tradition on cases relating to art and artistic license, a lawsuit against a manufacturer would need to show fundamental deviation from the promised product, which that wouldn’t show. If they promised a video game and they gave you tax preparation software, then you’d have a case…

Posted by: kaltastic.3146

kaltastic.3146

No no and no ! We dont want em plain and simple im sick of other games and their healers with their god complex’s. It was said from the start there will be no dedicated healers. What i dont understand is why oh why people will want to come and have gw2 change when if they want to play a game with the trinity they have countless choices of MMOs to go to.

Exactly.

I don’t miss at all running dungeons as a healer and having DPS complain when they die because they don’t care about any of the fight mechanics, they just expect you to heal them through everything.

We share apocalyptic views, how comforting that we see it too.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Healers dont’ actually add anything to the game. If anything they subtract from the game because they become their own reason for existance.

When devs develop a game with healers they design it in such a way that the boss cannot be completed without being spam healed by making the boss capable of killing a play within 2 to 3 hits if they don’t get healing. However if the game did not have a healer the same boss would not have been designed to hit so hard.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Not a true healer? LMAO

ok what part of healing others and buffing/debuffing makes me different from your definition of a healer….

tell me which part of my skills prevents me from doing so…

Being able to and heal and being a healer aren’t the same thing.

Being a healer implies being able to perform significant and continuous healing (nonstop significant healing) over a long period of time.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There IS one time I miss a dedicated healer in GW2. That’s in a Group Event when the Champion decides it hates me, and only me, and nothing seems to change its mind.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There IS one time I miss a dedicated healer in GW2. That’s in a Group Event when the Champion decides it hates me, and only me, and nothing seems to change its mind.

That can be solved with a thief.

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

Never underestimate the ability of a watchful mesmer, engineer, or thief to help you drop aggro if needed.

Mesmer has multiple stealth options… engineer has smoke fields… and thief has stealth options AND smoke field.

In a team if pressure is getting too much for you and you need to drop aggo… count on your partner for one. Even 3 seconds of stealth can help you get your cooldowns under control and get you back into the fight.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Never underestimate the ability of a watchful mesmer, engineer, or thief to help you drop aggro if needed.

Mesmer has multiple stealth options… engineer has smoke fields… and thief has stealth options AND smoke field.

In a team if pressure is getting too much for you and you need to drop aggo… count on your partner for one. Even 3 seconds of stealth can help you get your cooldowns under control and get you back into the fight.

So, what y’all are saying is that instead of a pocket healer, I needed a pocket thief, engineer or mesmer? (looks around at group at the time) Nope, nothing like that either, just a ranger who was not carrying anything useful for taking aggro. At least he raised me the times I was out of healing, out of dodge, out of room to maneuver, and kitten out of luck.

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

So, what y’all are saying is that instead of a pocket healer, I needed a pocket thief, engineer or mesmer? (looks around at group at the time) Nope, nothing like that either, just a ranger who was not carrying anything useful for taking aggro. At least he raised me the times I was out of healing, out of dodge, out of room to maneuver, and kitten out of luck.

Well no… not at all… that’s only ONE method… to drop aggro. You could also have someone use come kind of cc… like an immobilize, a daze, an interrupt, a knockdown… or some kind of lockout like blinds…

Honestly… I like control options so much better than having a healer. I like proactive gameplay versus reactive.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Thief is the only class I haven’t figured out how to turn into a servicable healer.

…Yet.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

How much are you people expecting the heals to restore? With ~158 Healing Power my elementalist can heal around 17% of her health and 11% of my warrior’s health Geyser and it can still be blasted for more healing. Then they still have their own healing skills.

You are playing the best healer in GW2, the only real class that can heal properly, next is Engineer then maybe Guardian which can both spec Support, each of those classes pale compared to how well Monks used to work, yes i know why Anet removed them i still don’t like it…

Try playing a class that has one heal and see how well they heal..

Personally all classes should be able to support heal at least as well as Ele can, if we follow Anets plan on no trinity..

Well no… not at all… that’s only ONE method… to drop aggro. You could also have someone use come kind of cc… like an immobilize, a daze, an interrupt, a knockdown… or some kind of lockout like blinds…

Honestly… I like control options so much better than having a healer. I like proactive gameplay versus reactive.

CC in this game is quite Child like..sadly we get all these skills that are crowd control but then Anet makes everything either immune to it or only affected for a blink of an eye, they are quite useless compared to other mmo’s..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

what I dont understand is Regeneration. Since it only stacks in duration, how does +Healing effect regeneration?

if two different players with different healing stats, and with different regen skills cast regen on the same target, what will happen?

also what about passive AoE regens like Water Ele? if multiple Water Eles are standing around each other, whose regen counts?

I agree. If one takes a hard look at all the abilities of the engineer +healing does absolutely nothing for us accept 2 abilities and one of those hardly heals a thing even with maxed healing stats. (the #5 on the EG) the rest are just minor regens and condi removals they are all AOEs and we’re just supposed to accept that engineers the class that’s supposed to think outside the box is okay with that.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: elprimo.4398

elprimo.4398

Healer: 1. Attention w**re with alturistic complex. Things such as thanks, thx, ty, helpful, savior are known to give them orgasms.

2. Player needed to blame on your deaths regardless of your skill.

3. God mode cheat.

For me they are not needed at all, you always have the downed state to get back on and anyone can ress you. Dodge, swiftness and protection to mitigate.

Some mobs are just burst everything you have whenever you have it, yes. I found some to be really difficult also and found myself death a lot until I could dodge to an acceptable level.

Maybe MOBA is not a good example but take LoL for an instance, yes there are support characters but the heals are not the most important part of them.

If you want to hear how useful you are and how indispensable then go play another game, help your mom on the house doings, join green peace or help the homeless. Believe me last three are more productive.

Lastly this game might not be perfect, yet! but I wouldn’t want it to go for the same old presets.

(edited by elprimo.4398)