i want to buy Guild Wars 1 what i should know

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

Q:

also as far as i know there is the game and 3 expansions, is there a (Full edition) the game and all its expansions in one pack ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is the Trilogy….http://store.guildwars.com/store/gw/cat/categoryID.67871700

You could google and look for something that has all 3 Campaigns plus the expansion.

Good luck.

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

You should start with nightfall. The game is old, and with GW2, not many people play the game anymore. But, the game pretty much requires a party to play and progress through the campaigns.

In Prophecies and Factions you have NPCs you can use called henchmen and you can get through a good portion of the game with just them. However, Nightfall has customizable henchmen called Heroes, and you can control what skills they use and what equipment they have. Thus, they are much more reliable than henchmen and will make the game feel more fun.

If you start with nightfall, go to the point where you have 7 heroes, and then decide which campaign you want to do first. While it doesn’t particularly matter what order you do them, I would suggest doing Prophecies, Faction, and Nightfall in that order.

If you do decide to not begin with nightfall, I would suggest to make a new character to experience the starting zones of those campaigns.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars:_The_Complete_Collection

Its prolly sold out though.

Perhaps, on GW1 website u can buy all (to download).

(edited by dagrdagaz.4913)

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

You will be lonely on a planet where the population moved 250 years into the future.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Maybe it’s not as populous as it used to be, but I log on to work on HOM stuff occasionally and still see plenty of people around.

Posted by: Stranger.7940

Stranger.7940

There is still people to play with its not busting at the seams but its healthy enough to have a good time.

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

also as far as i know there is the game and 3 expansions, is there a (Full edition) the game and all its expansions in one pack ?

On Steam there is each edition on its own, Guild Wars GOTY edition, Factions and Nightfall, a trilogy set containing all 3, and the expansion Eye of the North. So you can buy Trilogy and Eye of the North and that’s a complete GW1 set (You need EotN for the Hall of Monuments and all the bonus stuff you get in GW2 Hall of Monuments). Of course; you will have to have Steam open if you go this route.

If/when you do create a GW1 account; use the SAME login credentials as GW2. So if it’s j.smith@gmail.com and the password is banana use those as your GW1 account details as this links them together automatically for the Hall of Monuments. GW1 also asks for the name of a character on your account as security (which you leave blank the first time because you haven’t made one yet). If you have EotN; once the accounts are linked you’ll get 3 points towards the HoM and unlock the heritage chest, leggings and boots skins in the GW2 HoM for all weights.

There is no EU/NA divide as such but that’s only because the ‘towns’ are shared environments called ‘districts’ which you can swap between via a drop-down menu.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

You will be lonely on a planet where the population moved 250 years into the future.

actually there are more people playing gw1 than i would have expected when i recently revisited the game for teh lols. at prime time i even could play Hoh.
but i guess for playing the story/missions and vanquishing and stuff like that you’ll need heroes.
So either you play with henchmen (they got their builds updated at some point, so they mostly run metabuilds, still you can’t actually make a specific teambuild) and experience the story chronologically, or you break the chronology and get at least a few heroes from Nightfall and Eotn. Even doing the Tutorial in both will get you a reasonable amount of heroes.
Also if you’re not willing to spend money on skills you can get a good amount of those in the first campaign through quests. also check the wiki a lot, i guess. the knowledge how stuff works and which skills enemies use and how to counter them and how to build synergies within your own team is probably the single most important thing in the game.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

correction…. actually there are 3 campaigns (each story can be played on its own), and only ONE expansion.

they do actually sell al the 3 campaigns+ EotN )expansion) at discounted rate.

if your purpose is only to get the Sohothin (Fiery Dragon Sword skin), you need to buy at least a bundle of 1campaign+EotN, create a GW1 account, and link it to your GW2 account…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

My biggest advice for anyone going into GW1 for the first time right now would be this:

Play through the Prophecies campaign first. A lot of the story will be tying in with what is going on in GW2.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

The gw1 subreddit has a lot of guides and links to help you through the game

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

You should also know the following —
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmkAoLC6_4

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

My biggest advice for anyone going into GW1 for the first time right now would be this:

Play through the Prophecies campaign first. A lot of the story will be tying in with what is going on in GW2.

My biggest advice would be to NOT do that.
Doing Prophecies with the available Henchmen there is terrible.

Do some Nightfall first and get some Heroes, upgrade them, then choose what campaign u wanna do first (with your Heroes).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

My biggest advice would be to NOT do that.
Doing Prophecies with the available Henchmen there is terrible.

Do some Nightfall first and get some Heroes, upgrade them, then choose what campaign u wanna do first (with your Heroes).

Better way would be just to ask for a ferry to LA after finishing pre-searing. Assuming you have 3 campaigns and EotN, you can grab then M.O.X, Ogden, Vekk very fast, and if you still have some help, Gwen, Koss, Melonni and Dunkoro. All those should be enough till fire islands. Now, fire islands would be really hard without at least getting some nice complement of skills for those heroes, but that would be even worse for the late missions of other campaigns.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

only thing I remember, was I liked factions for the levelling, nightfall for the henchmen, and phrophecies for the story…

I’d suggest making one character in phrophecies, learn the basics in pre searing, then make a ritualist in factions, level it to lvl 10, unlock nightfal for the characters and get all easy available heroes from nightfall and eotm. then do what you want.

Oh, and give yakkington 50 red irises for me. He’d appreciate it.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

GW1 where to start :

1. I suggest buying the entire trilogy + Eotn
  2. When creating a character, start with the nightfall campaign. Nightfall is the best campaign story Wise and the leveling pace is adequate : not super slow like in prophecies and not as brutal as in factions. And you’ll get your heroes.
  3. Use the wiki and pick up as many heroes as you can. I recommand getting the 3 necromancer heroes first, then go for the mesmers.
  4. The AI plays mesmer better than you (#interruptforthewin)
  5. Gameplay wise, GW2 is a Trinity based, party based RPG. Positionning is important. Mobility is reduced (no cast on the move and no jumping).
  6. I played GW2 in single player 80% of the time. Once you have your core of 4 heroes, the games becomes a single player RPG with a function “invite a friend”.
  7. As others mentionned, use online ressources to find optimal builds. Don’t bother experimenting, it has been done for you.
Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars:_The_Complete_Collection

Its prolly sold out though.

Perhaps, on GW1 website u can buy all (to download).

If you’re in the US, some GameStop stores still have the Complete Collection, you can check availability on their website. It’s a physical only distribution, but barring sales and shopping around, it’s the cheapest way to get everything (aside from the Bonus Mission Pack).

You can start in whatever campaign you wish. Prophecies is best for a brand new player as it gives you a fairly shallow learning curve, and gives you time to get used to the positioning and skill system. You can reach Lion’s Arch, and from there you can do a quest to go to Nightfall (and pick up several heroes), and get a fairly easy quest to get your first Necro hero once you reach Nightfall proper. Also, you can pick up MOX (as mentioned above) once you are level 10. Finally, you can head to the Eye of the North once you reach Lion’s Arch and are level 10, and get the above mentioned Ogden, Vekk, and Gwen.

The other campaigns have different flows. Factions levels you VERY quickly, but dumps you into very challenging missions and primary quests rather quickly. It can be rather painful for a brand new player. You have to make a Factions character if you wish to play Assassin or Ritualist, but as soon as you reach the mainland you’ll want to head to Eye of the North and Nightfall to get heroes and additional experience (both xp and to learn a bit more before tackling Kaineng City’s challenge).

Nightfall is a balance. It’s a lot quicker to level in than Prophecies, but doesn’t hit the steep challenge cliff as fast as Factions. It also gives you a number of heroes early, but their builds are fairly poor to start with. Kamadan is also the primary trade and guild recruiting city, so having early access to this might help you get a guild faster to get started more easily.

Once you get your heroes, you’ll want to spend your coin on skills for them. The best use of coin is to improve your heroes skills, even more than armor and weapons (you can get decent armor and weapons from collectors). In many cases, the default hero builds are rather poor, so you’ll need to improve them a bit. The 7-Hero Player Support build linked above is one of the best to work toward, but with limited heroes you may need to look at some of the hero builds just marked ‘Good’ to carry over until you can get the important Ritualists, multiple Mesmers, and multiple Necros. The elite skills in those builds are important, but you can make do without in normal mode for 3/4’s or more of each campaign (since several of the 7HPS builds depend on elites only accessible right near the end of campaigns, like Panic and Signet of Spirits).

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]