My opinion of female medium armour

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Hey, at least we got human female T3

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

Sorry, but there’s nothing awful about this armor. I think you meant “Fantastic.”

The number of medium armor styles that aren’t trenchcoats/longcoats are very few and far between.

What’s wrong with a leather shirt and pants? I don’t want to have it be a midriff-baring “look at mah bellah!” shirt, or pants that are split along the sides to show off skin and be “sexy”.

I want some normal, functional-looking, utilitarian leather armor.

Hey, at least we got human female T3

I honestly think the human tier-3 medium looks horrible. A crop-top and leather fishnets? What the hell?

(edited by wumpusrat.4769)

Posted by: Velius.7635

Velius.7635

I love a good trench coat but not 24/7. Even if you find one that isnt a full coat it always has some sort of skirt hanging around. I got some kickin’ cowboy jeans I’d like to show off give me a short jacket or something please.

edit: Oh and I am aware there are a couple short shirt type armors but they have puffy pirate sleeves and it sorta clashes.

(edited by Velius.7635)

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I saw the bikini armor in Lion’s Arch.

It’s medium armor. She was a Norn Assassin.

but i wanna know what type of leggings and top are she wearing.

I might get my ranger this armor.

Attachments:

Posted by: DriftedCoot.4702

DriftedCoot.4702

I dunno i think my character looks pretty cool..

Attachments:

Posted by: Immo.9217

Immo.9217

Wish arenanet had just let us mix and match and make the armor stat native to the class you picked.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

@alcopaul.2156 (quote button not there…)

The rare duelist (not lower rarity) is the top.

Not sure about the leggings as they are from a different set.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I saw the bikini armor in Lion’s Arch.

It’s medium armor. She was a Norn Assassin.

but i wanna know what type of leggings and top are she wearing.

I might get my ranger this armor.

Top is Duelist and bottom is Vigil.
Would use that myself simply due to the lack of good options to go with the Duelist top, but I joined the Priory. ;-/
Would be nice if there were some proper skirts (read: Leggings slot), but I guess they don’t wanna go that route since they’d clip with everything.

Edit: And I attached the mashup I’d personally be going for if I could be bothered to do dungeons. Not ideal, but it’s decent.
Do agree that there needs to be more options in general though. I expected I’d love medium armour as I generally do, but most of it tends to be too… bulky… for lack of a better word. Some armour more reminiscent to leather versions of light armour would be grand, as would some non-cinched trenchcoats. I love the idea of trenchcoats, but when they’re all waist-hugging monstrosities, most of which are stuffed with a crapload of additional armour underneath, they stop seeming sleek and dapper, and instead just feel gaudy and oppressive.

Attachments:

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

(edited by Dark Saviour.9410)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Since I have a female ranger, I agree that most of the medium armor isn’t very interesting. But I disagree with having the silly skimpy outfits. Lets not be like all the asian MMOs please. I really don’t understand the attraction to female cartoon characters in skimpy outfits. I’d simply prefer better-looking outfits with more variety.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Top is Duelist and bottom is Vigil.
Would use that myself simply due to the lack of good options to go with the Duelist top, but I joined the Priory. ;-/

that sucks, i joined the priory too. is there any way to get the vigil armor even you’re a priory? i hope a.net will make a way.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

You don’t like a certain style of armour? That’s fine.

You want to remove it from the game even though others like it just because you don’t? That’s not cool.

Not cool at all.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

duelist sets look nice or the human t3 culture is nice too but gots like 25g for the chest

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Lets not be like all the asian MMOs please.

Generalizing much?
If there’s anything Asian mmo are the only one who try to cover the most style possible with their outfit.

If I wanted to generalize too I’d say that all American MMO go for the brown and ugly. Which is even closer to the truth than your claim.

Posted by: liandral.3275

liandral.3275

Lets not be like all the asian MMOs please.

Generalizing much?
If there’s anything Asian mmo are the only one who try to cover the most style possible with their outfit.

If I wanted to generalize too I’d say that all American MMO go for the brown and ugly. Which is even closer to the truth than your claim.

I also have to agree – in fact it was the asian MMO’s that I was referring to in my earlier post in that they appear to offer variety of choice with many of their styling however – that would be a generalisation so let’s not go down that track.

More choice is what is required in armor styling which usually results in a happier playerbase

Posted by: TotalLamer.2470

TotalLamer.2470

Fortunately, all the Medium cultural armor for Norn is outstanding. T1, T2 and T3.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

The cultural human armor for my Thief looks pretty good:

Attachments:

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Jack of Tears.9458

Here’s the back:

Attachments:

Posted by: Jujube.4981

Jujube.4981

T3 Sylvari Medium

Attachments:

Posted by: Leto.5642

Leto.5642

That’s funny, the medium T2 cultural set is the main reason why I leveled a Norn ranger.

Posted by: Passive Aggressive.3154

Passive Aggressive.3154

Pretty much all the armor in this game is unimaginative, boring, and full of clipping issues.

“Do what you want to do and don’t tell other people how to behave.” ~ Ruth Stout

Posted by: Krighton.2138

Krighton.2138

Ugh, you all that are posting photos of fully clothed females characters don’t get it, or are missing the point.

Rift, to date had THE WORST armor. Brown, thick, boring, cover all, leather outfits. God awful.

Seems like that designer quit Trion Worlds, came over to Anet to ruin this armor as well.

There needs to be WAAAAAAAAY MORE skimpy, sexy armor for females. Of all classes. Leave the boring drab stuff for the Mormons and Christians to hide behind, the rest of us can enjoy the fantasy.

Please fix, 100% broken.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Leather armor is terrible in GW2.

There’s only a few good sets that aren’t trench coats. If you don’t count Cultural Armor that is race specific, then we’re down to maybe 2 or 3 sets (not counting lowbie armor)? You see most Female Medium wearers in Human T3 and Duelist.

The Medium armor in GW1 was much better.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_armor

This is coming from a female player. I personally hate the trench coats.

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

There’s always this set too. There are other names with slightly different stats in the same level range/tier too. They all have the same look though. http://www.gw2db.com/items/6958-aidans-coat

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Leather armor is terrible in GW2.

There’s only a few good sets that aren’t trench coats. If you don’t count Cultural Armor that is race specific, then we’re down to maybe 2 or 3 sets (not counting lowbie armor)? You see most Female Medium wearers in Human T3 and Duelist.

The Medium armor in GW1 was much better.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_armor

This is coming from a female player. I personally hate the trench coats.

As a male player I agree, I hate trench coats too, the AC exotics were the only things that were not trench coats that I could fine, aside from the human T1.

Jack of Tears.9458

Ugh, you all that are posting photos of fully clothed females characters don’t get it, or are missing the point.

Yer not gettin’ the point; alotta us women don’ wanna look like strippers in the game, we wan’ armor what looks good, but attractive. (not titillating)

I’m quite fond of my armor pictured above, thank you very much, and if anything want more armor what takes cues from that … elegant, yet unrevealing.

(edited by Jack of Tears.9458)

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

90% of medium armor are trenchcoats and 90% of medium head gear are pirate hats.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Rift, to date had THE WORST armor. Brown, thick, boring, cover all, leather outfits. God awful.

Seems like that designer quit Trion Worlds, came over to Anet to ruin this armor as well.

There needs to be WAAAAAAAAY MORE skimpy, sexy armor for females. Of all classes. Leave the boring drab stuff for the Mormons and Christians to hide behind, the rest of us can enjoy the fantasy.

Please fix, 100% broken.

Lol do you not have the rest of the internet where you live? You want T & A? Google’s right there.
I much prefer to play a game that doesn’t treat women like complete sexual objects for horny nerds about as much as I prefer to play a game where there is a lower chance that the people I party up with aren’t trying to play with one hand.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Daour.1437

Daour.1437

yah, but heavy is very nice

Attachments:

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

90% of medium armor are trenchcoats and 90% of medium head gear are pirate hats.

90% of the heavy armor I wore as a Charr had a skirt rather than pants.

100% of low level heavy armor is nearly identical looking chain. Then comes nearly itentical looking skale mail. Then comes nearly identical looking bands of steel. And finally, at almost level 80, we get plate and some variety (although most of the time, in reality it’s either “with spikes” or “without”.

So you got trenchcoats. And you know what? The basic transmutation stones that are clogging your bank are not usable at 80. Use them while levelling. Transmute your trenchcoat to whatever you like – stripper’s outfit included.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Yer not gettin’ the point; alotta us women don’ wanna look like strippers in the game, we wan’ armor what looks good, but attractive. (not titillating)

I’m quite fond of my armor pictured above, thank you very much, and if anything want more armor what takes cues from that … elegant, yet unrevealing.

I fully understand that.
But why not have it all?

By no means should you be forced to look skimpy, or anything else you don’t like. But what the armor in this game mostly lacks is variation.
Especially the medium armor.

I don’t want to look like I fell of a wagon at Rio carnaval, but having some options of revealing a leg or some cleavage (to call things by their name for clarity), while still maintaining an overall ‘normal’ look isn’t asking too much. It’s basically how most ‘normal’ women dress in real life too.
Which doesn’t mean real women ‘should’ dress like this at all.

All i’m saying is: add variety, give us more to combine and be creative.

Some will always gor for most skimpy, some will go for most fierce.
personally I will always look to create my own ‘sets’ which are inspired by themes (moon priestess, forrest hunter, things like that… anything that comes up in my imagination).
This game gives me very little to play with in that regard. Not to mention for being a game about aestethic rewards, it’s rather difficult to get some of the more distinct looking pieces.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Driften.8716

Driften.8716

I have to agree with the OP. I think I have come across three maybe four reasonable sets. the problem is at least two of them are exotic and one requires 20 gold a piece :/ (120 gold for the set). I also play a female thief and really think they need to make something other then just trench coats and pirate getups. I hate pirates…. What ever happened to cloak and daggers? I haven’t even found a hood for rogues outside of the crappy master of whisper’s hood. I would settle for a black hoodie at this point.

Posted by: Croupier.1782

Croupier.1782

Is there anything lower level that looks decent? All the ones mentioned so far that people seem to like are for level 80. I’d rather not wear a trench coat on my engineer all the way to 80.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

we’re not showing an acceptable amount of skin guys. there needs to be moar fleshydeliciousness so i can proudly and properly identify with my char!

seriously though .. i love my medium armors.

What skins are those?

Edit: It looks like the attachment didn’t quote, so for reference here’s the quoted poster’s screenshot: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/15914/gw2_small_notshowingenough.jpg

(edited by Leiloni.7951)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

@ Edewen

And what, pray tell, is wrong with combat bikinis? I mean, practicality aside

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Leiloni.7951

@ Edewen

And what, pray tell, is wrong with combat bikinis? I mean, practicality aside

Seriously, I mean we need to look good while we slay monsters! Gotta get our priorities straight! Fashion >all.

Posted by: Nakatsu Hime.3520

Nakatsu Hime.3520

@ Edewen.8304:

Combat Bikini? Hmmm, I like the sound of that. Reminds me of my GW1 warrior sister’s garb.

Also, you confused me with that YouTube vid. I was wondering what the hell Gaviscon had to do with female armour, until I realised it was the advert ><

Posted by: Daevara.9038

Daevara.9038

@Croupier: Pretty much no. If you are a medium armor user you will be stuck in coats or skirtlike stuff until duelist armor is available (about level 60). And after duelist there is pretty much nothing else except racial armors, some of which are quite good to be honest. I especially like Sylvari t1, would love for a similar, not leafy looking human armor.

Lynessa | Daevara
Kodash [DE]

(edited by Daevara.9038)

Posted by: Tenofas.6098

Tenofas.6098

My set (Duelist):

Attachments:

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

I’m happy with my Krytan armour too be honest. I also like the long coats, had one with some daggers attached to the sides for a good 20 levels or so. I’ve never ever liked the skimpy armour in MMO’s simply because it is called ‘armour’ for a reason.

I like that there are a few skimpier armour’s for those that way inclined, but they are in the minority to armour’s that actually have an aesthetic functional purpose. (By that I mean, it looks the way it does because it suits it’s funtion, your traveling around all over the world, stomping through mud, snow, rain, plants. I’d rather be wearing a coat or something that covers the majority of my body to be honest)

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

I have to agree here. I play a male Human Thief, and I hate trenchcoats… and 99% of the sets are trenchcoats (and some of them are over the top and horrible). The only sets making me pleased with the aesthetics of my Thief are the starter set (although the small boots break the visual appeal due to the the huge gloves, shocking right?), the Duelist set(this is the PvP name, similar to Human T1), Human T1, Human T3, Vigil set and a mix of Noble chest+Duelist pants (I memorized the PvP names only, sorry). I wanted to make my Thief a sylvari but I didn’t like the cultural armors.

In short, I want to see the legs of my character from behind in a stylized aesthetically pleasing and realistic way for a character that’s going to be constantly dodging and moving all over the place; what I don’t want to see is a pseudo movement impairing cape or a heavy over the top coat all over my character. Thank you for reading.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

Leiloni.7951

@Croupier: Pretty much no. If you are a medium armor user you will be stuck in coats or skirtlike stuff until duelist armor is available (about level 60). And after duelist there is pretty much nothing else except racial armors, some of which are quite good to be honest. I especially like Sylvari t1, would love for a similar, not leafy looking human armor.

If it makes you guys feel any better, Cloth armor is not all that attractive until mid levels, either.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I’ve got to agree with quite a few of the opinions expressed here and I wanted to add a few of my own.

1) I have no problem with armor being ‘sexy’ but I do not think ‘sexy’ = ‘lots of skin.’ Figure hugging is flattering in many ways. The problem I have with the long coat phenomenon is that my character’s figure is completely shrouded by the coat. Why did I spend so much time on those sliders and making sure I had a body style I was happy with only to cover it with a coat full time? (For norn, why pick some of the tattoo options if you will never see them?)

2) I think Medium Armor = Leather is a falacy. I like the human T1 / T2 for having some metal scale options, I like the vigil armor (sort of… the skirt bugs me) for being a metal armor. But I think that lightly plated armor is a valid method of achieving a Medium Armor. I would like to see an engineer rocking some stratigic plates stitched over a cloth armor…. plate the vitals, cloth over the rest. It’s fine as a concept for medium armor.

3) The long coat dominates the look of our character. I’m one that likes to mix and match. In GW1, my monk rocked a Woven Skirt (1k, not the 15k) because I could dye it black and match that to the Kurzic top, my destroyer gloves, slim specs and a nice set of sandles (can’t remember the set.) It was MY character, each piece selected with care to get the look I wanted. With the long coats, your pants are 90% covered, much of your gloves are covered, your boots may or may not be visable under the coat. I think that is one of the biggest problems with the long coat. Because it dominates so much of the look, even though you have several other pieces to customize… they aren’t seen, so you blend in with everyone else wearing that coat.

4) Set mixing is not very dye friendly. I rocked the Vigil pants for a while with the Duelist top… because I couldn’t see much of the Vigil pants while wearing the Vigil skirt / top… thing. Now, that’s a little skimpier than I really want (cleavage, leg and midriff baring are all good things… all 3 at once is over kill for me,) but in the end, one of the things that moved me away from it was that even when dyed to match, the bottoms and the top were very obviously different tones…. and I never did find a way around that that I liked with the dye palette that I have.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on a fair bit, I’ll try to post some screen shots tonight when I get home from work to illustrate the dye issue.

As a total tangent, I instantly loved the Witch costume, and would have gotten it for my thief (I would love to rock a witch hat instead of a pirate hat!) if I could have worn it outside of town and in combat.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: Vlaxitov.5693

Vlaxitov.5693

There is some good medium armor. As asura engineer, the inquest set from CoE looked best on my character minus the helm which I transmuted to my eagle eye goggles I’ve been wearing since level 1.

Alot of the medium however does look like hobo rags and aside from that it seems alot people think as long as it resembles a g-string on their female character all is right in the world. My end conclusion is I see a better variety of attractive light and heavy armors than there is medium. Thats an opinion though and taste is taste.

Jack of Tears.9458

there was a Pirate outfit you got on the storyline mission. It was your basic shirt/vest and pants. That is an outfit I would have loved, sadly shirts and vests do not exist for us.

Arrgghh! I’ve been sayin’ this same thing! I want this outfit! I loved it durin’ that mission, way more than the pirate captain costume in the gem store! I would snap up this outfit in a minute.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

People are complaining about having brown leather armor?

Dyes? Just saying. :-)

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

People are complaining about having brown leather armor?

Dyes? Just saying. :-)

It’s medium not leather.

In between Light and Heavy. Honestly they should do away with the restrictions of transmuting when it comes to armor and just put up the class symbols when we select a player.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

EQ2 had a nice system. You wore your fighting armor all the time but had “appearance” slots on the character page that let your character wear whatever they wanted as long as the armor class wasn’t above thier normal one.

So, in the case of medium armor (re: leather) your toon could wear leather pants & boots but have access to clothie tops.

While clothie / casters were pretty much relegated to cloth only by that system, heavy armor wearers could access the everything.

From an RP standpoint it was pretty cool as you could have a…paladin for example…and all the skills / armor that go with that class but you would appear as a down n out sellsword in a mix of leather, cloth, swords, rapiers or even daggers.

Sure would be nice to see them implement something along those lines.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Female characters need more catsuit armors, something like the Baroness’ suit from G.I. Joe.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

This is why we should be able to skin what ever armor there is out there and not restricted to what our character uses. I also agree that there are too many coats. For all armors.

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

ARGH!! these forums are terrible. Crappy re-directed JAVA. sry.

(edited by paelen.3821)