in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tonny.7580

tonny.7580

i notes woodenpotato making vidoe abut gemfx

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Anet will never say yes because they do not own the software. They cannot fully support any product that modifies the display because they don’t own the code. Plus, when they break it, and ANet has in the past with server merging patch, they also don’t own fixing it.

Here’s the other extreme and let’s assume ANet approves of this software. Then the software creator updates GemFX to suddenly allow you to remove the wall textures (yes, possible) and in turn, this allows an unfair advantage to see enemies in WvW. How would ANet enforce? It’s just a host of potential headaches so better to leave it alone and point to the legal language.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Personally I would not use it since it amplifies particle effects with the filters.

Also not fond of injecting anything into my game files.

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

I wouldn’t use it.

Sweetfx works way better.

Remember gemfx is still kind of early stages and doesn’t fully support dx9. It works, but it’s definitely not up to participate with sweetfx. You can, however, run your sweetfz settings with it; but without an auto updater, it’s kind of pointless.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Also, don’t be scared to use it. Gemfx and sweetfx are totally allowed. Disregard people using scare words like “injector”.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yup, those software are just fine, you can safely use them.
They don’t “inject” anything, you just place files in the same folder of GW2’s files, but the client’s files remains intact.
Of course that ANet won’t say it is ok since they can’t legally support it, but they have nothing against it.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

I just switched to it and I absolutely love it. You can still use your sweetfx settings ontop of the gemfx ones. Woodenpotatoes made a video about it the other day that explains everything and shows a the settings and how to use it. I highly recomend watching it.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

is Gemfx ok?

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Yup, those software are just fine, you can safely use them.
They don’t “inject” anything, you just place files in the same folder of GW2’s files, but the client’s files remains intact.
Of course that ANet won’t say it is ok since they can’t legally support it, but they have nothing against it.

It actually does inject stuff. It uses windows code to load it’s own d3d dll files instead of the original ones (programs look first in the current folder for dll files, then if not found they look in system32/syswow64/system etc… the system is designed so different libraries can have the same name so there is no collision). The code loaded can basically be anything.
ANets point is they cannot say it’s okay to use a certain program because if at some point, even if per accident, this program has (un)intended side effects they would have to ban users because of a breach of the EULA.