is the 4000 gems worth it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chicksboy.8734

Chicksboy.8734

Hi all, I noticed that pre purchasing both expansions will give away kitten value of 4000 gems. What can I buy with gems??
and how long will this sale last??
I’m trying to save money and finishing up the core story before buying! thank you

Chicksboy.8734

Also, will buying a physical box consist of 4000 gems as well? thank you girls and guys

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You can’t buy the physical box of PoF.

Yes the gems is worth it, there are so many things you can buy from skins, to storage etc and many more skins likely with the expansion. Otherwise you can always convert the gems to gold.

This is an anniversary sale so likely end of August it’ll be gone if not sooner.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Pre-purchasing does not give you the 4000 gems by default. You have to buy the Ultimate version to receive the 4000 gems. With those gems you can buy anything in the gem store you want and can afford with them. If PoF is like HoT the Ultimate edition will still be available after pre-purchase ends and PoF launches.

For clarity this is what you get as a pre-purchase bonus for any version of PoF you purchase. From the sales page:

Pre-purchase before launch and receive one Sunspear Weapon Skin of your choice, a Miniature Balthazar, and the title of Elonian Envoy.

The Burninator

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You get the 4K gems if you buy the Ultimate edition of PoF, whether or not you buy HoT with it. I don’t know on physical copies, but if you can get a physical Ultimate then you should get gems. Presumably this will be the case no matter when you buy the Ultimate, I don’t think the gems are a pre-purchase benefit.

So your choices are standard, Deluxe, or Ultimate. Deluxe adds a number of digital goodies to the standard version. Ultimate gives you the exact same goodies plus 4K gems, for $25 more. 4K gems normally costs $50. So if you will eventually spend 25 bucks on gems anyway, and would buy the Deluxe version for the goodies, then the Ultimate is a bargain, essentially giving you 2K free gems.

If you would never spend cash on gems in any amount, then you may as well continue not spending cash on gems and just decide if the digital goodies are worth the extra money to you (they include a character slot, normally 10 bucks worth of gems, keep that in mind).

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That depends entirely on you. But, the Ultimate edition is worth $93.75 based on the Gem cost of items and the dollar cost of Gems. The price difference between the Deluxe and Ultimate editions is literally the cost of 4000 Gems. I used the Gems to buy the 3500 Gem starter box, then bought another $50 worth of Gems. I don’t even feel bad about it.

So, again, it’s entirely up to you. If there are some things you want out of the Gems, then go for it. If you might want to hang onto a cache of Gems for a while, then go for it. If you don’t really care about Gems and Gem store items, then Deluxe might be a better choice.

Take into mind that the value of both the Deluxe and Ultimate exceeds the cost of each, and that value doesn’t even take into account that you also get the expansion with it.

If, by physical box, you mean what you get in stores, I don’t think the Deluxe, nor Ultimate is available, but I’ve never done the physical box, so I could easily be wrong. If you can buy the Ultimate in stores then it has to have the Gems, because that’s part of what comes with it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

It’s not buying both expansions that gives the gems, it’s specifically buying the Ultimate Edition of PoF for $80.
Gems are used in the in-game store, look through it before purchasing.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

That depends entirely on you. But, the Ultimate edition is worth $93.75 based on the Gem cost of items and the dollar cost of Gems. The price difference between the Deluxe and Ultimate editions is literally the cost of 4000 Gems. I used the Gems to buy the 3500 Gem starter box, then bought another $50 worth of Gems. I don’t even feel bad about it.

Kind of this, although my perspective is a bit different.

Basic Edition is $30.
Deluxe Edition is $55.
Ultimate is $80.
4000 Gems costs $50.

Basic + Gems = $80, which is the price of the ultimate edition. Therefore, the discount is getting the extras offered for free. The extras are the Character Slot; Identity Repair Kit; Elon Pass and Spearmarshal’s Presence. Those items have a cost associated with them. One could say that the discount consists of what it would take in gold or $ to get the Deluxe upgrade. Or, one could say that value of the discount is whatever value one sees in those 4 extras.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

considering everything you get, on top of the $50 worth of gems, yes, the ultimate edition is by far the best value of the entire lot

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Chicksboy.8734

thank you

so the pre purchase consists:

2 max level to 80 ($100 value)
4000 gems ($50 value)

ill finish the story mode quickly so i can buy the expansion!

thanks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

thank you

so the pre purchase consists:

2 max level to 80 ($100 value)
4000 gems ($50 value)

ill finish the story mode quickly so i can buy the expansion!

thanks

No, the pre-purchase bonuses are a Sunspear Weapon skin, a miniature Balthazar and the Elonian Envoy title.

Everything else listed in the various packages will continue to be available after PoF has launched. The Ultimate Edition of HoT (which was an identical Deluxe + 4000 gems package) was available right up until PoF went on sale.

Also you don’t need to finish the story to buy PoF. You could buy it now and then just wait until you’ve finished the story to actually play it. Or buy it now and play it as soon as it’s released, even if you haven’t finished the original story. It’s up to you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

with the 4000 gems if you not got them you can buy bank tab,s that you will be needing and get the copper fed salvage kit . as well as the unlimited harvesting tools . then if your able to get some bag slots with what gems you got left over . so yes buying the Ultimate is best if you not already got them items . and if you do have them at the very least then you can get more bank tabs and bag slots .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

If you do the math, you can buy the basic preorder PoF and direct buy the gems for the same cost as the uber deluxe whatever version. Basically what you’re getting in that package is the couple of extras that boil down to some skins and access to a “room” with all the crafting/vendor/etc stations in it. And an extra character slot. Which you can easily purchase with a lot less gems. The uber deluxe package isn’t really worth it.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

If you do the math, you can buy the basic preorder PoF and direct buy the gems for the same cost as the uber deluxe whatever version. Basically what you’re getting in that package is the couple of extras that boil down to some skins and access to a “room” with all the crafting/vendor/etc stations in it. And an extra character slot. Which you can easily purchase with a lot less gems. The uber deluxe package isn’t really worth it.

Even if you exclude skins (outfit) you end up with 26% discount in gem value of bonus items. (for deluxe edition, 41% for ultimate edition)

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Basic Edition is $30.
Deluxe Edition is $55.
Ultimate is $80.
4000 Gems costs $50.

Basic + Gems = $80, which is the price of the ultimate edition. Therefore, the discount is getting the extras offered for free. The extras are the Character Slot; Identity Repair Kit; Elon Pass and Spearmarshal’s Presence. Those items have a cost associated with them. One could say that the discount consists of what it would take in gold or $ to get the Deluxe upgrade. Or, one could say that value of the discount is whatever value one sees in those 4 extras.

You’re a bit off there. The only difference between the deluxe and ultimate edition is the ultimate comes with 4,000 gems. Essentially, you’re paying an extra $25 for 4k gems when normally they would cost $50, so you get the gems at half price.

If I remember right, there was no physical copy of the HoT expansion. You could pre-purchase it at various locations like Gamestop, but what you would actually get is just a “box” with a card that has the serial key in it but no game disc. I haven’t heard anything yet as to whether or not there will be a physical copy of Path of Fire.

4,000 gems at half price is a good deal and worth it. If you don’t want the gems, you’d be better off getting the deluxe version and you would only be missing out on the gems since that’s the only extra thing ultimate has compared to deluxe.

Do keep in mind: if you buy the basic or deluxe edition, you won’t be able to ever upgrade to ultimate. You can still buy the ultimate edition but you would need to create a completely new account to use the serial key. If you buy the basic edition you can upgrade to deluxe in the gem shop by paying gems.

The pre-purchase has exclusive items that will only be available with pre-purchase until PoF launches. After that 1 or more of these items may no longer be available when purchasing PoF. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Path_of_Fire#Pre-purchasing

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/prepurchase-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire/

The deluxe edition upgrade for gems should always be available after the expansion launches (for people who purchase the basic edition). No idea about the ultimate edition.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Basic Edition is $30.
Deluxe Edition is $55.
Ultimate is $80.
4000 Gems costs $50.

You’re a bit off there. The only difference between the deluxe and ultimate edition is the ultimate comes with 4,000 gems. Essentially, you’re paying an extra $25 for 4k gems when normally they would cost $50, so you get the gems at half price.

No, it’s not off. You just misunderstood. Viewing the deal as half-off on the gem price is one way to look at it. One can also look at the deal as paying full price for the basic XPac and the gems and getting the addons for free as a result.

Looking at the packages the way you do makes the deal seem great. Half off on gems! However, it’s only half off on gems if you would be buying the Deluxe edition anyway. Since value and cost are not the same, the true value of the deal is determined by what value one assigns to the addons.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

In this case, I think If you want 4000 gems, just buy 4000 gems. I don’t think the Ultimate bundle is worth the extra money.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

One note, OP, as to getting the gems to buy gem store items. This week there are going to be some very good sales on useful items (see the news blogs) BUT you do not get those 4K gems for 72+ hours after you purchase (this is to prevent fraud tied to gold laundering, they don’t want stolen credit cards used to purchase gems that turn into gold and get dispersed before the account is banned). You’re already going to miss the deals on shared slots, unbreakable tools, and bag slots (to name the most useful).

However if you submit a ticket to Support after you make the PoF Ultimate purchase (if you do), saying you’ve paid for the gems and are just waiting for them and you would like to spend x gems on y sale items, odds are they will make it possible to get the discounted gem price once your gems arrive.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In this case, I think If you want 4000 gems, just buy 4000 gems. I don’t think the Ultimate bundle is worth the extra money.

Hmm.

For $80 – Standard + 4000 Gems purchased separately

or

For $80 – Ultimate (Standard + 4000 Gems + Additional character slot + Identity Repair Kit + Spearmarshall’s Presence + Lily of the Elon Permanent Pass)

I’d say it was worth the money compared to purchasing Standard and 4000 Gems.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s $50 worth of gems at 1/2 price. Since the game has never offered a sale on gems proper, I think it’s a good deal.

And while we are here, yes you can upgrade to the deluxe edition of the game but at the cost of $30 worth of gems rather than the $25 upfront cost. They did the same for HoT.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Looking at the packages the way you do makes the deal seem great. Half off on gems! However, it’s only half off on gems if you would be buying the Deluxe edition anyway. Since value and cost are not the same, the true value of the deal is determined by what value one assigns to the addons.

Fully agreed. I got PoF for 30 Euros. The Ultimate version would have cost 5o Euros more. I don’ care about the other stuff and wouldn’t buy it. So, for me, the 4k gems cost 50 Euros, exactly what they cost any time I want to buy gems.

For someone who values the extras higher, it might be a good deal. There really is not one answer.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Basic Edition is $30.
Deluxe Edition is $55.
Ultimate is $80.
4000 Gems costs $50.

My accounting didn’t take into account the price of the game, or any of that. I just priced out the cash values directly. 4000 is $50. I may still have some mistakes, cause I thought it came out even with the Ultimate being the Deluxe plus 4000 Gems.

Thought I may also have been figuring the wrong cash value for the 4000

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: Dragon.4782

Dragon.4782

You can buy two instant level 80 boosts or give four characters a make over so yeah that sounds pretty good

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Who cares about instant 80 boost when most people are sitting on 200+ tomes of knowledge by now?

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Who cares about instant 80 boost when most people are sitting on 200+ tomes of knowledge by now?

Exactly, and even the stuff you get with it is useless for people who are not new to the game. I used the boost for my Guardian and at the same day threw away the 15 slot bags, the weapons and the trinkets and replaced them with proper ascended gear. The only reason I haven’t done it with the armor yet is because I need berserker insignias to change the stats on chest armor and I need the gold to finish HOPE first ^^

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Hmm.

For $80 – Standard + 4000 Gems purchased separately

or

For $80 – Ultimate (Standard + 4000 Gems + Additional character slot + Identity Repair Kit + Spearmarshall’s Presence + Lily of the Elon Permanent Pass)

I’d say it was worth the money compared to purchasing Standard and 4000 Gems.

You are right. I didn’t take on account the intrinsic value of the extras, just that most of them would be useless for me. My bad.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks