is there a 10 commandments for Elite Specs?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

When it comes to future Elite Specialization development, I been curious, if the developers at ArenaNet have some kind of rule the governs how all future elite specialization get developed.

I asked because I am interested in making some fan made Elite Specializations, and I wanted to make them in a way that would fit into ArenaNet’s Ten Commandments for Elite Specializations so they could potentially be plausible.

Example:

Are there rules thats All Future Elite Specialization have to have a new weapon type?

Are there rules that All Future Elite Specializations for the class, have to stick to a certain theme? Such as Warriors could never get an Elite Specialization that deals with magic?

Are there rules that All Future Elite Specialization have to add new skill types to the class?

Are there rules that All Future Elite Specialization have to change the class mechanics?

I can go on and on. But hope you get the idea.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

That’s a very interesting topic!

I wouldn’t mind seeing a spec that doesn’t give new weapon but allows you to wear different armor class as a trade off for being very powerful. Example: Warrior > Shaman goes full magic mofo but can only wear light armor. Or the other way around.

This above ties in with another one of your questions. I don’t think there’ll be any restrictions in a sense that warrior will never wield magic. Ranger is fairly physical class yet they are getting Druid spec that seems to be magic oriented. So I don’t think they’ll put suck restrictions in place.

I think it’s fairly safe to say that every spec will be getting new set of utility skills or versions of existing ones (I’m looking at you guardian tomes!)

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Interesting questions.
I guess the answer to most of them will be “yes” because people want all that new content and since we will never get new classes they have to satisfy the hunger for new content

But I think everything is possible in general. The only thing that may not be heavily enforced on other classes’ future specializations are the very very very basic unique mechanics of the professions.
Like necros and their ability to corrupt boons, guardians and their very strong active defense, mesmers and their manipulation of boons and conditions, rangers and their pets, thiefs and their extreme high mobility. These things.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think one of the most important would be~

• Elite Specs must NOT break existing traits

Reaper had to do a little song and dance to meet this requirement in regards to Necromancer traits that affect Death-shroud skills. It’s also why Rangers will never be fully rid of their pets unless changes are made to the core profession (they have far, far too many traits that modify or trigger off of their pet).

And I would rephrase the weapon commandment…

• Elite Specs will always include a set of new weapons skills – either as a new weapon or overwriting an existing one
“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

come, any info you mind sharing Anet?

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

Don’t forget one of the most important ones!

• Elite Specializations must be balanced with the base professions and not feel like an upgrade.
Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Don’t forget one of the most important ones!

• Elite Specializations must be balanced with the base professions and not feel like an upgrade.

Then why even bother calling it “elite”?

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

I think the only thing moving forward is to keep each new specialization true to the lore of the class.

For instance. Guardian shouldn’t be a big game hunter. They should have went with some sort of angelic protector with a bow and heavy armor…seraphim or something..that ties into the flavor of guardian as a heavily armored “magical protector and support” only now hes got a bow, mobility maybe not as tanky, turn traps into divine interventions or something…even if the effect is roughly the same.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

The 10 Elite Specialization Commandments List

You shall not devalue or negate the base profession.
You shall not nerf Elite specs post launch.
You shall not disgrace the Elite with a poorly chosen name .
Remember the holy trinity, let it not affect you.
Honor the feedback from your players.
You shall not encourage one meta.
You shall not commit unannounced changes.
You shall not delay reveals for all professions.
You shall not use least popular weapons .
You shall not encourage elitism.

(edited by Linfang.1087)