is there a thing such as too much armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Whats the sweet spot for a heavy armor class?

is there a DR for armor?

is 2800ish armor enough to be tanky in pve/world bosses ?

whats a good wvw armor rating ?

PS: im a guardian, i do consider taking my boons,heals, defensive skills/traits into consideration.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

3200-3400 is pretty good…if I remember correctly, it’s been a while.

Best if you invest in some vitality instead, to be honest.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

As far as I recall toughness really only comes in as being “too much” in some dungeon/boss mechanics where a squishy class has the most toughness and becomes a prime target. This may just be a myth, I don’t remember exactly to be honest. :/

In terms of world bosses and pve “armor” really doesn’t matter. While Vitality can help with condition damage and overall health pool. Toughness is usually negated just because the hits they make are so big overall.

As always best to learn to avoid dangers rather then stand in it. But I’m sure you already know that. :P

As for WvW the only two things I can say in terms of armor. Personally I like all soldier armor in WvW, but some might prefer others. Ok damage, and then you get vit for higher health pool. Even with cleanses I find conditions to be the biggest culprit to death in a lot of WvW scenarios.

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Whats the sweet spot for a heavy armor class?

is there a DR for armor?

is 2800ish armor enough to be tanky in pve/world bosses ?

whats a good wvw armor rating ?

PS: im a guardian, i do consider taking my boons,heals, defensive skills/traits into consideration.

No DR exists for armor…
You shouldn’t aim for a particular number. 2800 is not much different from 2799.

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

In terms of world bosses and pve “armor” really doesn’t matter. While Vitality can help with condition damage and overall health pool. Toughness is usually negated just because the hits they make are so big overall.

That´s completly wrong.
With enough thoughness/protection/traits and healing power u can facetank every singel encounter in this game.
Vitality is what is not needed. Vita and heal power fill the same role. Vita is for short fights, to absorb some burst, healpower is for longer fights.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

That´s completly wrong.
With enough thoughness/protection/traits and healing power u can facetank every singel encounter in this game.
Vitality is what is not needed. Vita and heal power fill the same role. Vita is for short fights, to absorb some burst, healpower is for longer fights.

Good to know. I totally forgot about how good healing power works for guardians. So forget what I said.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

That´s completly wrong.

Actually, vitality is much more useful than toughness.
Vitality:
- Better resistance to conditions
- Higher health pool in general
- Hard to gain aggro

Toughness:
- High aggro from pretty much any monster
- Conditions kill you easily
- Can take a few more hits

At least from my experience.
You also don’t seem to understand the concept of healing power and vitality. Healing Power only boosts few healing skills and some regeneration buffs. Vitality lets you keep high health pool.

(edited by Yoroiookami.3485)