is this legal? PoF on sale on some website

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Korda.3928

Korda.3928

theres a PoF sale on cdkey .com , its 26$…
is that legal, i dont get it

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s not illegal, it’s just not authorized and you can get your account banned if you buy from there. That site sells keys bought from sources that aren’t necessarily legit. Buying from them is a risk. Definitely not worth my account.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

you will get banned for using that site !! and your better off to buy it from game stop or Walmart’s if they got a copy and you live in the usa. not sure about other country’s at all

also too you can buy it online from amazon and game stop in the usa . and you not get any box at all just a code and download link .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

If you like this game and don’t want to risk a ban or anything else to lose your account, i would just buy it straight from Anet.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

To answer the question you first need to understand what the site you linked is.

It’s a marketplace for game keys.

Meaning you don;t actually buy from the site but from some merchant who offers their key via the site for sale. You have no way of verifying how authentic and serious said merchant is or how he aquired the keys he is selling.

If the key you buy ends up getting banned (maybe because it got purchased with fraudulent credit cards) your entire account will get banned too. The website might send you a replacement key, which will do you little good if your main account got banned (and we are talking mostly permabans in this case, not those soft temporary bans).

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

Do not under any circumstance buy from those people. At best you will get the game cheaper, AND THEN BANNED. At worst you will get banned.

What they do is use stolen credit cards to buy tons and tons of keys. Then they sell the keys, they keep the profit, you keep the Ban.

Buy legitimately.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

It is, though you couldn’t know if you didn’t ask, which is bad.

There are also “official stores” who can sell game and expansions, like DLGAMER.
But as said before, how any1 is supposed to know is something i still did not understand at all.

Ps: i got a tip from a friend who linked me a post about buying it from “unofficial stores”, and got saved at last for HoT ( then i decided to buy the supreme PoF version from official ANET website, this time ).

I can feel sad for people who simply try to buy a game at the lower price, and then got banned because “reasons” ( cause now still i don’t get it at all ).

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

theres a PoF sale on cdkey .com , its 26$…
is that legal, i dont get it

If you have to question the legitimacy of the vendor, then its better to just outright avoid it. Get it from someplace like gamestop, large retailer, amazon, steam, etc. That way, if you do purchase a bad copy, you will at least have some recourse and possibly get your account back if its banned.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

ANet has a page, easily found, that tells you which retailers are authorized for each country.

The reason to be suspicious in the first place? If it sounds too good, it might not be true. Every consumer should always take a look at why some vendors are willing to sell for cheaper.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

There you could obviously got scammed.
I agree.

But here we are talking about a “valid key” which somehow could deliver a ban to yourself someday.

And remember that if he didn’t have asked about, he couldn’t have find anything.
I am saying this only because it is simply normal to try to buy at the best price.

Anyone would be greatful to save up some $.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

CDKeys buys keys from people who may or may not have gotten them legally. I imagine they have some sort of checks in place to try and mitigate illegal sales, since that’s bad for business. One of the legal methods for obtaining low priced keys, is distributors selling a stack of keys to merchants on the cheap so that they can meet a monthly quota. If you are unsure about the site, I would purchase PoF elsewhere. Unfortunately, that can be a lot more expensive.