it's been 3 years now and still no seats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiriyon.8735

Tiriyon.8735

Well title says it all.
Since the first beta weekends for guild wars 2 I’m waiting for sit- able chairs.
Any future for our bottoms in HoT?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This was from an old interview with Colin

" One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.

“We kind of forced ourselves into a corner where we either go back and re-art every chair in the game, or we build this system for sitting. I think in the grand scheme of things, given all the other projects, we have going on, sitting, as important as it is, is not something we’re currently working on.”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

No time for sitting when there are dragons to deal with. Chop cop let’s go!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/sit

Works in game.

(What? The grounds too good for you?)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Kinda proves how kitten they went into making this game xD an mmorpg that’s missing most if not all of the rpg elements :’)

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Laying in the grass works for me

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

ESO has a /sitchair emote, it basically spawns a chair in the spot of the character for the duration of the emote (until you cancel it). Maybe it would be a solution for Anet?

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

ESO has a /sitchair emote, it basically spawns a chair in the spot of the character for the duration of the emote (until you cancel it). Maybe it would be a solution for Anet?

I once suggested a toy sold in the gem store, a chair that could be sat on. As well as a mug that had a drinking animation.,

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

all i dream about is /teabag emote…. there used to be one in CoH/CoV – your character pulls out a cup and puts in a teabag and pulls it out (rinse and repeat)

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

Final Fantasy XIV can do sitting for all of their races, come on GW2

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Final Fantasy XIV can do sitting for all of their races, come on GW2

Yea, the emote system in FF is awesome…but then compare the actual gameplay mechanics of that stuff tab-target game to GW2 where projectiles have distinct mechanics, swords can cleave, etc.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Are seats necessary for role playing? I would rather have featured stuff from release, first, like town clothes becoming outfits and tonics not disappearing.

What about role playing options in nations? So much of gw2 is grind, grind, grind. I would rather have part of a daily be a role play activity. Why seats?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Seats help with the, er, well, the setting. So to speak. If you’re RPing a banquet it’s a bit weird to see the guests standing around. If someone’s exhausted and slumping into a chair, either s/he is still visually standing or is sprawled on the ground. Or possibly jammed sideways on a chair with limbs dangling in all sorts of odd ways. What if you’re on a stool at a bar? Or want to leap up in outrage from your chair at something someone says? Visually you’re all just a bunch of mannequins propped up as place markers, you’re not doing enough of a scene. It’s sad when you can get a viscerally more impressive RP by going off to a text chat program out of game — and since that does happen (Mozilla EtherPad, I <3 you so), that’s people not spending time in game.

Here is my thread from 2 years ago on the subject: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Why-We-Need-Sittable-Chairs-Picture/first#post2518213

Subsequent to that there have been a lot of creative suggestions on how to implement sittable chairs in GW2 without having them need to be interactive environmental objects (a simple /chair emote, a toy that becomes a chair of various styles with a skill bar change to let you set poses in it, etc). I’m sure the devs have seen them, and had other things to work on, but it seems such a basic thing to give us that I still hope one day it shall be so.

Meanwhile, here’s an early pair of shots of how annoying it is to try to use Tyrian furniture:

Attachments:

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Other than that I don’t need sitable chairs.
Edit: Works with other races as well, was just too lazy to edit the chat out of the other pics of my chars sitting on chairs.

Attachments:

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I think I understand what you want but please try to approach it as a best bang for your buck on the software side. Guild halls offer payment to gw2. Request guild hall features for role players.

Donari.5237

People really complain about anything these days…At least complain about smth useful for the whole community, like nerfing burn! I dont give a kittenz about if my character can sit on a chair or not, theres a /sit emote and ill gladly sit on a roof over a chair in a game when i sit on a chair irl playing the game.

There’s a difference between complaining and advocating for QoL improvements with hope they might be implemented once ANet has the resources. There are many thousands of RPers in the game, who tend to get pretty spendy in the gem shop, so adding a few fun things for the purpose would not be a waste.

I’m sorry if you missed the over-kittened thread earlier today. Now that was complaining.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

There are MMOs out there with sitting animations, and often several, that work with whatever you choose to sit on. Chairs, couches, ledges, whatever. Just need a solid object to sit on.

Much like the current sitting animations work, if they didn’t look so horrible. Seriously, who ever sits like the human females do? That it not comfortable.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I think a /sitchair emote or gem store item that spawns a chair (maybe the type of chair would be determined by what map you’re on as well) scaled to your character would be the best compromise, though I have no idea how financially viable that idea would be.

It could be neat though, you type /sitchair or use the item, your character players an animation where they look around for a second while little Quaggan/Skritt ninjas appear in a puff of smoke, scurry to put a chair behind you, and vanish as you take a seat.

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

People really complain about anything these days…At least complain about smth useful for the whole community, like nerfing burn! I dont give a kittenz about if my character can sit on a chair or not, theres a /sit emote and ill gladly sit on a roof over a chair in a game when i sit on a chair irl playing the game.

There’s a difference between complaining and advocating for QoL improvements with hope they might be implemented once ANet has the resources. There are many thousands of RPers in the game, who tend to get pretty spendy in the gem shop, so adding a few fun things for the purpose would not be a waste.

I’m sorry if you missed the over-kittened thread earlier today. Now that was complaining.

I dont want Anet to waste their resources on useless things like this when theres so many broken things out there. It is a complain thread since it starts with “its been 3 years now and still no seats”. Anet already explained why we cant get it, theres no reason for further discussion really. The reason is not gonna change because the reason why is the game mechanichs obviously. The roleplayers dont speak for the whole community, youre a very small minority of gw2 community. Only because other games have the ability where you can sit on chairs doesnt mean gw2 game mechanichs can offer the same thing. As you can read in the second post where anet said they basically had to build a whole new system which would be able to support this. That doesnt take a week to build…

(edited by sanctuary.1068)

Donari.5237

Ah, but the suggestions are to make toy chairs, not to convert the in-world chairs which would in fact not be technically feasible. Nor is anyone demanding this as top priority; we merely remind ANet from time to time that this would enrich our gaming lives.

Do you also feel there should not be musical instruments, boxes o’ fun, costume brawl items, alcoholic drunken effects, ambient NPC dialogue, or anything else not directly related to game combat and profession balance for said combat?

Fun isn’t useless, it’s what keeps people playing.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

I’d love to see a proper sitting animation.