keyfarming

keyfarming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

They said keyfarming was alright. Why change it now? This is horsekitten.
Way to be inconsistent as always.

It was all right.
Now it is still all right but more time consuming.

Nothing is inconsistent here, just unpleasant for those who farm.

Semantics. This is clearly a move to destroy the keyfarming.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

keyfarming

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It was all right.

Yes, and megaserver was to hide the dwindling population, precursor crafting/hunt was delayed to cause people to buy gems, the wardrobe implementation was to hide that there were no major WvW overhauls in the last update, and the cherry on top of it all? Living story is nothing more then a cheap money grubbing ploy to steal our souls.

/tightens tinfoil hat

Things are about to get heavy…..

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

keyfarming

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It was all right.

Yes I would say getting to level 10 without level tomes falls into the category of “more time consuming”.

No doubt people can add PvPing to their regular activities for the purpose of getting tomes but since key farming barely paid off when it took no more than 30 minutes for a run, adding the time involved in leveling to 10 or the time needed to get the 10 PvP tome rewards to this time means it’s no longer cost effective.

keyfarming

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It was all right.

Yes, and megaserver was to hide the dwindling population, precursor crafting/hunt was delayed to cause people to buy gems, the wardrobe implementation was to hide that there were no major WvW overhauls in the last update, and the cherry on top of it all? Living story is nothing more then a cheap money grubbing ploy to steal our souls.

/tightens tinfoil hat

Way to blow something completely out of proportion.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

keyfarming

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I don’t know if someone already mentioned this but this was a mistake by WP he added a comment edit down in the thread about how you still DO get a key at level 10 completion of Personal Story Arc. It may take awhile longer (you have to get to level 10 to unlock the Personal Story now) but you can STILL keyfarm if you want.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t know if someone already mentioned this but this was a mistake by WP he added a comment edit down in the thread about how you still DO get a key at level 10 completion of Personal Story Arc. It may take awhile longer (you have to get to level 10 to unlock the Personal Story now) but you can STILL keyfarm if you want.

The essence of the key farm was speed. The reason why speed is important is because it was barely cost effective at 30 minutes per run. If it takes longer because you have to first level to 10 by playing or adding in the time needed to get 8 PvP level tomes then it’s far more cost effective to do other stuff instead.

Crafting to level doesn’t work either. Cooking, which is the cheapest using all hearts is between 3 to 4 gold to get 7 levels. While someone can get some exp by switching between different crafting to refine, this assumes they have the raw materials to start with and don’t need to spend time or gold getting them.

keyfarming

pdavis.8031

It was all right.

/tightens tinfoil hat

Way to blow something completely out of proportion.

These are the same arguments that are being made (well, except for the soul stealing) about any of the updates/features that come our way. Key farming got changed due to leveling update? “They did it just to get rid of key farming!” Megaservers get implemented to facility more people beaing able to play together, and not stay grouped up on 1 or 2 big servers? “The game is dying and this is a cover up to hide the dwindling numbers!!”

Of course I was being way over the top. But almost every update, there is a group of people claiming that the update is either A) A money grubbing technique from a greedy company, B ) This will totally destroy the game, or C) Anet has no idea what they are doing. Or a combination of all three. I don’t believe that the changes to the leveling system was a deliberate move just to destroy key farming. If they wanted to do that, all they needed to do was remove the key as a reward from completing PS level 10. Not redo the whole way the PS is played out, the leveling rewards, and the way your character progesses. It’s like rebuilding your house because a lightbulb is out. Rather I think this is more of an unitended consequence.

However it appears we still get a key at level 10 as a level up reward. But as it was pointed out, it just makes it take longer, and is no longer cost effective. Key farming, I believe, has really just been put on hold. It’s only a matter of time before someone figures out how to easily power level to 10 just to get the key.

recognize my command!”

keyfarming

Paradox.1380

The essence of the key farm was speed. The reason why speed is important is because it was barely cost effective at 30 minutes per run. If it takes longer because you have to first level to 10 by playing or adding in the time needed to get 8 PvP level tomes then it’s far more cost effective to do other stuff instead.

Crafting to level doesn’t work either. Cooking, which is the cheapest using all hearts is between 3 to 4 gold to get 7 levels. While someone can get some exp by switching between different crafting to refine, this assumes they have the raw materials to start with and don’t need to spend time or gold getting them.

There are other ways of earning Keys, FYI. You can map complete for a 50/50 chance of getting a key + other mats (one of the rewards is always a Key or a Transmutation charge). And there are several maps in the game that once you know all the routes you can easily do in 20-30 minutes. Especially mid-level zones that give coveted mid-level mats. So you can do like Caledon Forest on a new character Map complete it in 20 min get chance for a key or a a Trans Charge and then when its level 10 do the PS and get a key there. I don’t know, its not like they took it away they changed their early game (not to kill key farming) to help new players have a more streamlined and easier process.

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

There are other ways of earning Keys, FYI. You can map complete for a 50/50 chance of getting a key + other mats (one of the rewards is always a Key or a Transmutation charge). And there are several maps in the game that once you know all the routes you can easily do in 20-30 minutes. Especially mid-level zones that give coveted mid-level mats. So you can do like Caledon Forest on a new character Map complete it in 20 min get chance for a key or a a Trans Charge and then when its level 10 do the PS and get a key there. I don’t know, its not like they took it away they changed their early game (not to kill key farming) to help new players have a more streamlined and easier process.

The low level maps are 1-15. Are you saying that you can start a new char and in 20 minutes do a whole map? That in 20 minutes you will be able to handle level 15 mobs that are trying to kill you while you are doing hearts?

You realize you will now only have autoattack for several levels. No blocks, no cc skills. Just good old auto.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

keyfarming

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, per the WP preview I just watched, key farming isn’t necessarily dead.

You do still get the a key from completing the lvl 10 story. We just now have to be lvl 10 to start it.

Right about 17:30 ish.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

keyfarming

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’ve done a lot of map clearing and unless they’ve recently made a change I’d say that the likelihood of getting a key for a map clear reward is closer to 1/50.

Server: Devona’s Rest

keyfarming

Paradox.1380

I’ve done a lot of map clearing and unless they’ve recently made a change I’d say that the likelihood of getting a key for a map clear reward is closer to 1/50.

Its a 50/50 Chance as it’s either a Trans Charge or a Key. I’m not sure on the exact math numbers but there is a pool of two items to get in that reward slot. I get keys all the time, I have 15 characters to map complete on and it works pretty well, its not as streamlined as farming a key in the old way, but it works and you get tons of other loots and such just from completing the zone if you pick up your items.

@Astral: Yeah its totally possible to kill level 15 mobs when you are about level 10-ish depending on your class. I usually roll a Guardian for this and what I do is make sure I get Green gear for level 10 and put Minor Runes and Sigils in it that give Power. It works pretty well. The changes coming to the low level unlocking of skills might make it also a little slower, but it still is a way to farm it.

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

Its a 50/50 Chance as it’s either a Trans Charge or a Key. I’m not sure on the exact math numbers but there is a pool of two items to get in that reward slot. I get keys all the time, I have 15 characters to map complete on and it works pretty well, its not as streamlined as farming a key in the old way, but it works and you get tons of other loots and such just from completing the zone if you pick up your items.

@Astral: Yeah its totally possible to kill level 15 mobs when you are about level 10-ish depending on your class. I usually roll a Guardian for this and what I do is make sure I get Green gear for level 10 and put Minor Runes and Sigils in it that give Power. It works pretty well. The changes coming to the low level unlocking of skills might make it also a little slower, but it still is a way to farm it.

Maybe. It’s still only auto attack for several levels and then skill 2 added for several more. No first utility at level 5. No weapon swapping till level 7. I suspect the new leveling system means it will take longer than 20 minutes.

But you are saying you got 8 levels in 20 minutes or less by doing map clearing? If you did I’ll have to look into this.

keyfarming

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

Apparently the level curve from 1-15 has been lowered, so levels 1-15 will go faster than before).

keyfarming

Paradox.1380

Maybe. It’s still only auto attack for several levels and then skill 2 added for several more. No first utility at level 5. No weapon swapping till level 7. I suspect the new leveling system means it will take longer than 20 minutes.

But you are saying you got 8 levels in 20 minutes or less by doing map clearing? If you did I’ll have to look into this.

Since I haven’t had time to check out the changes personally, I am not sure how it will work, but yeah generally I was able to get to level 8-10 in about 20 minutes doing map completion. This includes events, btw and there are some good ones in Caledon Forest near the JP at the start of the map that cycle and overlap frequently..

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

Since I haven’t had time to check out the changes personally, I am not sure how it will work, but yeah generally I was able to get to level 8-10 in about 20 minutes doing map completion. This includes events, btw and there are some good ones in Caledon Forest near the JP at the start of the map that cycle and overlap frequently..

Well, this is certainly interesting information. Even if the chance of getting a key is no better than 50%, at level 10 one can then do personal story also for the key. It’s definitely worth looking into.

keyfarming

Paradox.1380

Its definitely worth it. At least it was, depends on how the leveling experienced has changed, though I still will do Map Clearing for Keys and other rewards because I like it.

keyfarming

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I personally think that a large % of key farmers will stop farming keys with the change. Most people don’t have 100 leveling tomes sitting in thier bank, to use on throw away toons just to get keys. I, for one, do not. I won’t spend time in PvP just to facilitate getting some keys, and I’m sure that the majority of players feel the same way. For sure, some will still use these for at least some time, but at the end of the day you’ll see prices skyrocket for BL skins because there will be A LOT LESS of them.

I do believe that ANet did this because they wanted to nerf the farm, and ALSO for other reasons. Or maybe this is just (for them) a happy side effect of other changes they had planned on making anyway.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

Skill 2 unlocked at level 2
Skill 3 at level 4
Skill 4 at level 7
Skill 5 at level 10

No gathering, from what I read “at low levels”, so no exp (so no money from gathering for low levels). Skill point challenge sites not accessible.

There is a big arrow directing me to the appropriate level heart.

I’m going to level a char at least to 10, see how it goes.

keyfarming

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

So if I read this right, we can get two keys at the lower level, one at the level 10 mission reward and when the character reach level 20?

I admit that when I bought a new slot for the purpose of key farming, I actually end up loving a female Charr thief (she look great and has sassy dialogue).

What I guess I’m saying is maybe it isn’t a bad thing if I decide to quit key farmning.

Also if it’s longer and harder to level up, well those Tome of Knowledge will come in handy now but they won’t last for long (you used them faster than levelling up normally)

keyfarming

pdavis.8031

Skill 3 at level 4
Skill 4 at level 7
Skill 5 at level 10

No gathering, from what I read “at low levels”, so no exp (so no money from gathering for low levels). Skill point challenge sites not accessible.

Please let us know how it goes. As I can’t log in right now, I am wanting to pla the game vicariously through you

recognize my command!”

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

Skill 3 at level 4
Skill 4 at level 7
Skill 5 at level 10

Please let us know how it goes. As I can’t log in right now, I am wanting to pla the game vicariously through you

For key running, it’s awful.

For brand new people who are just starting the game. I have to say its good. It’s handholding true and telling you exactly where to go to be level appropriate but you can ignore all that if you want. So far it’s spelling things out in a very clear and understandable way. So far explanations on simple stuff like inventory bags and how to access them as well as information about stats are popping up.

I’m level 4 so far and just received a message to go to a spot to “learn how to dodge” (dodging is in the game still from the start, as I dodged an attack from the starter boss).

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

The dodge tutorial has a chest surrounded by red rings. You have to dodge thru them to avoid a trap that knocks you back. No damage is done. The game has a clear explanation on how to dodge with a big arrow pointing at the dodge bar.

There are a lot of people dodging thru to get the chest. ^^ Some are obviously learning how to dodge.

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

Gathering seems to start at the level 6 heart. For my level 6 reward I got a choice between 3 common dyes, a T- charge and the ability to equip fine (blue) gear.

The rewards also tell you what you will be getting the next time you level. For example, points of interest will become available at level 7.

keyfarming

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

As long as we all have access to fair equipment, they’re going to put every endgame stuff such as skins in the GemStore. Quite sad, there are already a kittening kittening kitten bunch of skins blocked by cash shop. I could understand the clothes, but now… plenty of weapons already.

Given the latest NCSoft financial report, even with the inclusion of China, GW2 is made less money last quarter than it did without China the previous quarter….we’ll be seeing increasing focus on the gemstore as time goes on (although that was obvious given how almost every week has been a “sale” week for the last few months)

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

keyfarming

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

As long as we all have access to fair equipment, they’re going to put every endgame stuff such as skins in the GemStore. Quite sad, there are already a kittening kittening kitten bunch of skins blocked by cash shop. I could understand the clothes, but now… plenty of weapons already.

Given the latest NCSoft financial report, even with the inclusion of China, GW2 is made less money last quarter than it did without China the previous quarter….we’ll be seeing increasing focus on the gemstore as time goes on (although that was obvious given how almost every week has been a “sale” week for the last few months)

The break out of GW2 income excludes royalties which is how income from China is counted.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

keyfarming

Astral Projections.7320

I’m only at level 6 on my trial char and while I think it makes things very clear for new people, it’s very "handholderish " and constantly is pointing people towards the next heart. That more then anything would discourage random exploration. The arrows say, “go here”. Most new people are going to do this and it quickly becomes a run from one heart to the next heart rather than a free form exploration of the world.

Maybe these people need this. Idk, ANet seems to think so.

keyfarming

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

NCSoft doesn’t own/run the China version of the game. ANet is contracted via license fees to provide the software & coding changes, but they don’t make money from China’s Gemstore.

keyfarming

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

I never understood keyfarming at all.
The chests are crap.
Honestly, i bought a 5 pack back in time when gem-conversion was still 30 silver → 100 gems.
Even at that ingame gold conversion I wouldnt buy em anymore.
So why should I waste time farming them?

#ELEtism

keyfarming

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

It took me 70 min until level 10. I was slow and did some experiments on the journey too. The final award for the first chapter of PS provides you a champion bag. I received Bonettis Rapier from this bag.