kill stealing

kill stealing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: appleslove.7019

appleslove.7019

I am an old school gamer from the Dark Age of Camelot days. My biggest pet peeve is starting a kill on this game and someone blowing by and busting in on the kill. This is something an old school gamer just doesn’t do or tolerate well. I can understand world bosses and events and the like but solo kills should be just that solo. Leveling solo gives you a chance to learn how to play your Character. If someone interferes in a kill it is like taking your knowledge away. If I am wrong in my thinking then please tell me.

kill stealing

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Well as you lose literally nothing for them helping, I’m unsure as to why you would be offended.

Part of learning to play your character is learning to work with others. Also the loss of a few solo kills, really will not hamper your over all knowledge. The system was designed to reward group play and helping others around you.

kill stealing

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

In GW2 if someone KS your mob both will be fully rewarded and not just divided among the attackers.
Sure you can have that old feeling that KSing is wrong, but here this feeling is empty and meaningless.
I also came from Korean F2P MMOs and KS was the worse, but that feeling faded away with the time.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

kill stealing

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You are wrong in your thinking. People help because there’s literally no such thing as “stealing” a kill.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

kill stealing

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This game is specifically designed for cooperative play. There is no kill stealing, as the old style games have it, as all get the exp and their own drops. If it’s a random mob, well go find another to kill. There are plenty out there. If it’s a champ, then people are going to join in because of the champ bags. You can’t expect them to not join in for that.

If you want to kill completely solo, try going into a dungeon alone and killing the mobs in there.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

kill stealing

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is no kill stealing, only kill sharing. The game encourages a more communal feel to it’s open world in this particular aspect and is a breath of fresh air – and I say this as an old school mmo gamer myself.

Like Miku says, you really wont lose any knowledge of your class. since you can only learn a very limited amount solo. It’s when you work with others for kills, that the game open up, with combo fields and aoe boons etc

When this was brought into some of the older games (like Lotro) as well, I was extremely glad.

kill stealing

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I am an old school gamer from the Dark Age of Camelot days. My biggest pet peeve is starting a kill on this game and someone blowing by and busting in on the kill. This is something an old school gamer just doesn’t do or tolerate well. I can understand world bosses and events and the like but solo kills should be just that solo. Leveling solo gives you a chance to learn how to play your Character. If someone interferes in a kill it is like taking your knowledge away. If I am wrong in my thinking then please tell me.

I wouldn’t say that it’s “wrong”, but this game works VERY differently when it comes to kills. You still get credit for the kill, and any EXP or loot. So mechanically it doesn’t matter. Socially, if you are fighting a stronger enemy (i.e. veterens) and someone is coming in for the kill, you can ask that they let you kill it as you are still learning. If they ignore you and kill it anyway, well another will respawn in a couple of minutes anyway.

Personally it doesn’t matter to me. Even when leveling my first character and trying to learn. There are plenty of opportunities to learn. Now, with 6 lvl 80’s I don’t care if someone comes along to help kill. It just makes the fight go much quicker, so I can go about my business.

Also, this is a very social game, where working with others is encouraged and rewarded. Thus the “no kill stealing” factor (i.e. getting exp and loot). I would suggest trying to change how you approach fights in general. Instead of “This is mine!” maybe looking at it from a point of view where everyone helps each other out, and thats what the person running by was thinking.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

kill stealing

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

You’ll get used to it. As a gamer you learn to adapt…as an old gamer too, i know the way it used to be…when KS was a thing…and you would get so angry when someone stole your “spot” and kept stealing your mobs.

Then Cabal came, and changed it a little, the exp was shared in some way, depending on the damage. And now we have GW2, where we help each other…instead of wishing to be alone on the whole map, now you want to be together with other players…

you will like it sooner or later,

kill stealing

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

You are wrong in your thinking. People help because there’s literally no such thing as “stealing” a kill.

No he isn’t wrong, I don’t think you get his point.

He isn’t saying kill stealing, or attacking a mob someone else is fighting, is bad because of loot or lack there of. But when fighting a mob solo you learn your class more in longer fights, where as if people jump in they die quickly and your skill as a player doesn’t improve.

There is however some form of “kill stealing” though mainly due to dailies. Which is when people zerg events to the point where you can’t even tag them for credit. This is not helpful for newer players.

kill stealing

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You seriously need to loose that train of thought in GW2 as there is absolutely no such thing as “kill stealing” in this game. Getting upset over it is just going to give you high blood pressure and nobody is going to pay attention to you telling them to “get off my lawn!!!”. (I’m 53 so I can make old fart gamer jokes….I am one).

There is however some form of “kill stealing” though mainly due to dailies. Which is when people zerg events to the point where you can’t even tag them for credit. This is not helpful for newer players.

This is less of a Zerg issue in most cases I see, but experienced players (that are over leveled for the zone) familiar with the spawn points and camping them to kill spawns ASAP. I get that they are likely trying to get max karma (gold) or end the event quicker, but it IS a problem in lower level zones (where enemies die in less than 3 hits from an 80). I’ve mentioned this in map chat a few times and have been ignored or told to shut up (not that nicely).

There are plenty of ways to deal with this issue and I’m not proud of some of them (I just don’t announce certain types of events in map chat any longer).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

kill stealing

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

No he isn’t wrong, I don’t think you get his point.

He isn’t saying kill stealing, or attacking a mob someone else is fighting, is bad because of loot or lack there of. But when fighting a mob solo you learn your class more in longer fights, where as if people jump in they die quickly and your skill as a player doesn’t improve.

If losing a few solo kills really impedes his learning that much I would be “impressed”. You fight mobs frequently, and it’s not like there is any lack of combat as you level up (unless you craft). Also playing with others is a big part of learning your character and the game

kill stealing

Posted by: IEximius.9204

IEximius.9204

Am I in the wrong game forum or something? Why is this even a kittening issue in gw2?

kill stealing

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

GW2 is a friendly, warm loving community that has no kill stealing, nor can you steal gathering nodes, treasure chest and etc from people. Everything’s shared with the utmost respect to you. Have a happy adventure, we all love u.!

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

kill stealing

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Believe me OP, when you´re “working” on the 1000 slayer achievement any good soul running buy and helping you with that kill is appreciated.

I often do it out of politeness.

Am I in the wrong game forum or something? Why is this even a kittening issue in gw2?

It´s not, OP simply had no clue.

Polish > hype

kill stealing

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I hear ya OP as sometimes I’m also a bit annoyed when people come and start fighting with me as it’s not really what I was going for at the time. However, other times I’m like “heck yeah they die twice as fast, nothing to complain about” so… /shrug not sure I really agree, but I feel you on it, it can be annoying.

kill stealing

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Kill stealing doesn’t exist, and also this isn’t a solo game. None of the mobs are “yours” to kill.

While story mode is derided a bit, it’s also a good way for a new player to learn how to control their character.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

kill stealing

Posted by: Schneider.8615

Schneider.8615

Killstealing doesn’t exist in GW2, KS could mean “Kill Sharing” in GW2 because that’s how it works here. You can’t steal kills, but you can share them and the rewards aren’t split, everyone gets full.

kill stealing

Posted by: compers.9065

compers.9065

You do know this is a mmo. Knowing that there are people around and you have no control over their action, and you still complain… What’s your point.

kill stealing

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

For every mob a player comes in and helps you on, there will be at least one other mob that you’ll end up killing alone. Having someone help out every once in a while won’t impede your ability to learn your class, so I don’t think there’s much of a reason to worry about “kill stealing” when it comes to that.

The only real time “kill stealing” is an actual issue in this game is when level 80s are blowing through lower level zone events for dailies. Since there will be so many higher level players in the zones on those days, it can be very, very hard for a character of the same level as the zone to get credit on kills. But I don’t know if that could really even be called “kill stealing” as, at least most of the time, it’s just the mob mentality of tagging everything they can without realizing the lower level players don’t have a chance to get a hit in because the enemies are melting that fast.

kill stealing

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

People didn’t do this in “old school games” not because they were letting people learn their character. They ignored mobs already engaged simply because they would get 0 loot or experience. It made MMOs single player games for the most part in open world outside of elite mobs. There was no reason to coordinate in open world. This new system is worlds better. Don’t hold on to nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia.

kill stealing

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

You are wrong.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

kill stealing

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

OP needs to consider this game is different than his old style, solo leveling games. He should consider someone coming along a chance to learn how to use combos and help other players. That is his learning how to play his character right there, not solo killing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

kill stealing

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

Here I thought this would be another Maize balm thread…

to OP. Wanze said it best.

And TBH most people would like it when I pop FGJ or empower or whatever other group boon i have for them before jumping into the fight

kill stealing

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

The kill stealing applies if the stealer gets the killing blow, which takes away credit for the slayer and the weapon master achievements.

kill stealing

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The kill stealing applies if the stealer gets the killing blow, which takes away credit for the slayer and the weapon master achievements.

I suppose that’s true for weapon master, but it’s not true for the various Mob Slayer achievements.

kill stealing

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If the OP is really thinking about improving his skill, i’d suggest trying SPvP instead. In many ways, it will be an more enlightening experience.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November