kudos: new player experience changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: loclay.7482

loclay.7482

I decided to create a new character last night, and took my time playing from lvl 1 to 7 or 8. I really like the changes you made to the new player experience. I like almost everything about it, and I think it’s really helpful to the new player.

As a new player, not too long after launch, I felt a little lost. I was a little bit intrigued by the fact that I was a little fellow in a big world and had to figure it all out on my own, but mostly I found the learning process frustrating.

I think the changes you made strike a good balance between throwing lots of what the world of GuildWars 2 has to offer at a new player immediately, and being overly hand-holding.

Others may disagree (they always do) but I wanted to say “Good Job” to the folks who designed these changes.

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Yeah good job, my level 5 didn’t know that there is such a cool place as Blazeridge Steppes. Thanks for sending me there with your compass.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

I’m glad you’re happy but be careful. Don’t make it a habit. Or you will find that for every subsequent game you play in the future, you’ll need more and more handholding.

I think it’s called conditioning. Just, you know….the bad kind of conditioning where you not learn stuff on your own anymore, opposed to the good sort of conditioning where you learn to figure stuff out on your own.

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I’m glad you’re happy but be careful. Don’t make it a habit. Or you will find that for every subsequent game you play in the future, you’ll need more and more handholding.

I think it’s called conditioning. Just, you know….the bad kind of conditioning where you not learn stuff on your own anymore, opposed to the good sort of conditioning where you learn to figure stuff out on your own.

Oh yeah, I call that “exploring” the features that the game has to offer.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Yeah I’m glad for the changes. Having to press more than 1 ability in the starting area was just WAY too confusing for me. I didn’t know what a healing ability was either until that giant arrow appeared. It’s not like I could see the big red circle at the bottom of my screen shrink and the numbers get smaller as things were attacking me…

Jesus Christ ArenaNet, what have you done with this game?

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I hope that you are not being sarcastic as it does not translate to text well.

There are a lot of good aspects about the new player experience. It is a little of a two steps forward one step back situation.

My Feedback on the system is in the following link:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Learning-Curve/first#post4389552

What parts did you think they did rather well? What parts do you think they can improve?

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto