leveling is painful

leveling is painful

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guilty Cross.2706

Guilty Cross.2706

I’ve played a lot of MMOs and gw2 has the worst leveling grind of them all imo.

I have 3 lvl 80s and that last 80 was such a kitten drag I almost gave up on it.
It’s so kitten boring. I would literally pay for instant 80, and I hated that feature in WoW.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

You obviously haven’t played many games if you are complaining about the leveling in GW2. There are lots of options on how to level. pvp, wvw and various routes in pve. And if you hate leveling so much, do a bunch of pvp, earn tomes of knowledge and level up your alt without having to play it.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

o_O

That’s a first…

leveling is painful

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I disagree. My best was 80 in 2 days in EotM without boosts. Usually 3 days now because I have less free time. Still good imo.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

That’s a new one.

With crafting, explore experience, dungeon experience (and the amount of dungeon paths getting sold) and the already low amount of experience needed, I don’t see how they could streamline leveling even more.

Oh and that’s not even touching on things like:

- experience boosters
- Tomes of Knowledge (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tome_of_Knowledge)
- writs of experience (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Writ_of_Experience)
- experience scrolls (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience_Scroll)

You sure you’ve played other MMOs bevor?

leveling is painful

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

get the 10% firework booster from lunar new year.

You should be able to lvl to roughly 70 in 3 hours with 8 craft to 400.

leveling is painful

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I have 3 lvl 80s and that last 80 was such a kitten drag I almost gave up on it.
It’s so kitten boring. I would literally pay for instant 80, and I hated that feature in WoW.

Let me guess, you stood in Queensdale and slaughtered thousands of centaurs to level?
Why don’t you explore and join in some events, you know, play the game it was meant to be played? I fyou really need to fast track your leveling for some reason, just go follow the collective in EotM.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If OP had 2 level 80s and was planning on a third, why didn’t he do some crafting and save all his tomes and writs to do a fast level? With the 10 a month from logging in and the tomes from doing PvP dailies, it doesn’t take long to get enough to level to 80 and bypass regular leveling if you don’t like it.

EOTM is reputed to be great too, especially with the various exp boosters available.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

leveling is bad, people that leveled their characters few months after launch when you could still see people around doing events it was fun, now it really is a drag. it never was fun, its good that you have many options like crafting etc. otherwise if there was only heart quests it would kill it for many people that want to have alts

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

leveling is painful

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

If you don’t find playing the game fun while getting to 80 you won’t find it fun once you get there.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

leveling is painful

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Getting to 80 is really a breeze compared to just about any other game out there.
Alternative: double-click a few tomes… done.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

All that was mentioned above, plus, you can also learn event rotations on the daily events map and grind your way on that same map. I’d still prefer EOTM.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Just by running through the world to open up a bunch of waypoints for dungeon, guild mission and world boss access you’ll easily get a lot of levels. Participate in events you pass, do skill challenges in the area, watch a few vistas on your way, and the levels will come. Don’t forget the food and utility buffs, the added experience, while not being a lot per monster, does add up, too. Maybe do some personal story inbetween, it gives good experience and useful items.

I’ve been leveling a character over the last few days (already have 13 at 80, 6 of them with 100% world completion), and just by traveling across the map to open up waypoints I’ve gotten tons of experience. It really is easy to level in this game, the hard choice would be to try and stay on-level while doing stuff .

leveling is painful

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

leveling is bad, people that leveled their characters few months after launch when you could still see people around doing events it was fun, now it really is a drag. it never was fun, its good that you have many options like crafting etc. otherwise if there was only heart quests it would kill it for many people that want to have alts

I only had 2 80s before 2015. I have one of each class now. I honestly find being 80 more boring than leveling. And that is with 3 characters at map completion.

leveling is painful

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Leveling is painful to me too. It is easy to do and there are many ways to go about doing it. However, now that they’ve cursed us with the New Player Experience, leveling is a bit more difficult in the open world (and you don’t start getting your build going until the end of the line) and also more boring (no more difficult champion encounters — I’d prefer some champions in a blue moon to none at all). In addition, I don’t want to spend the time or the gold to acquire traits since the revamp is coming up soon. This deters me from wanting to level an alt at the moment. That’s a lot of mindless crap to grind just to unlock all the traits — and they’re being redone anyways. Why pay tons of gold, or spend tons of time, just to have it all wasted when they undo this aspect of the NPE?

leveling is painful

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

You still level chars?

Since Januar I collected 130 Tomes of Knowledge just from login and daily rewards (without playing pvp, then it would be much more). Looks I’ll never have to level a char again.

Btw.: you do not level chars by killing mobs in GW2, you level by doing events. And it’s up to you where you wana do that. EotM, PvE-Maps, Story, Dungeons.

Do NOT level your char, play it, you’ll be 80 long before you exhausted the content to play

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

leveling is painful

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Dont feed the troll.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

leveling is painful

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Levelling is 1000% easier in this game than in almost any other MMO. I have an entire bank full of XP boosters just because there’s no reason to use them (yet).

Not to mention the two level 20 scrolls, the 400+ XP scrolls, the 70 tomes…

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

leveling is painful

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Dont feed the troll.

Someone has to or he’ll starve.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Dont feed the troll.

Whilst this is true…

Do NOT level your char, play it, you’ll be 80 long before you exhausted the content to play

…this is more true, and should be recognised regardless of how much of a troll the OP is.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Back at launch, I remember some bad reviews calling GW2 a Korean grinder. Some people were trying to level by grinding packs of mobs, because that’s what you do in every other MMO to power level.

That’s the problem with GW2. Without an obvious path, people get confused. That’s why they put in the content guide – to encourage you to explore/follow the arrow.

(no more difficult champion encounters — I’d prefer some champions in a blue moon to none at all).

There are still champions, they’re just not usually out in the open. If you explore, you’ll find them. The only champions that were removed were from the starter areas where people used to mindlessly farm them.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

Disagree !!
I’ve purchased my second account and leveling my 2 new chars on US server and it’s fun , easy , relaxing , and rather fast . One char is already 80 after casual playing time in less then a week

leveling is painful

Guilty Cross.2706

seeing as i may have been a bit too vague given the average reading comprehension in these forums, ill clarify.

leveling is not hard.

there are many ways to do it.

ive stated that i already have 3 80s (of which i got before there were log in rewards.) so the noob advice is unnecessary.

i do not have 130 tomes lying around…

the point in its entirety is that its boring.
i still play my 80s and i enjoy playing them but to level a new character without tomes is just too boring.

map completion has little to no re-playability.

crafting is an option but feels cheated and isnt satisfying.

ultimately this is my opinion, as ive played every major MMO and then some since the 90s… gw2 TO ME… feels the most boring to lvl up in. not hard… not too long…. just boring.

thats about as slow speed as i can put it.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Levelling isn’t hard, but it can be boring.

Doing it the traditional way out in the open world does become tedious after a while. Thankfully we’ve got Tomes of Knowledge now.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

This game rewards you with exp even when you just run around farting.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

seeing as i may have been a bit too vague given the average reading comprehension in these forums, ill clarify.

leveling is not hard.

ive stated that i already have 3 80s (of which i got before there were log in rewards.) so the noob advice is unnecessary.

i still play my 80s and i enjoy playing them but to level a new character without tomes is just too boring.

ultimately this is my opinion, as ive played every major MMO and then some since the 90s… gw2 TO ME… feels the most boring to lvl up in. not hard… not too long…. just boring.

I think I understand your position, but I respectfully disagree (I don’t think you’re stupid, lazy, or a noob, to be clear). I’ve played MMOs since EQ in 1999, and I personally find GW2 pretty fun/easy to level in.

I do note a few things that make it a lot more fun for me (not telling you this to advise you, just to show you why I don’t find it as boring):

1) Instant 20 scroll. Cuts out the most painful/boring bit of leveling right there.

2) Birthday Booster. A lot of your XP comes from mob kills (usually), and +100% for the entire time you’re leveling (which stacks with other boosts) helps a lot.

3) I use crafting strategically to avoid getting bored. You say it feels like “cheating” – I can see that, but that’s on you, that’s not on the game. You can either keep feeling that way, or change how you think about it.

The way I use it is, if I’m feeling like it’s a bit of a grind, or I’m bored of a zone I’m near the beginning of, or the like, I just go ahead and get 8 levels or so from getting a profession to @400.

4) I avoid zones where nothing is happening, and hit every single event chain I can find. Event chains are typically more fun than other play, and give you XP really kitten fast, esp. if there a lots of packs of mobs involved (and there usually are).

5) Keep my main weapons upgraded – sounds obvious, but sometimes they lag 5 levels or more, and it’s really noticeable how much less fun the game is when this is happening. Maybe you’re already doing this, but when I started doing it – the game got a lot more fun.

6) Always do story stuff – it’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s a ton of XP real fast if you just skip the dialogue.

I leveled an Elementalist from 1-80 this way recently, took under 40 hours, was never bored (and only took two crafting skills to just below 400).

My question for you is:

What is it about other games that keeps you from being bored whilst leveling? Is it LFD in WoW (i.e. dungeon-leveling). Do you actually LIKE quests? Do you normally play with other people when leveling in other games?

I get that you’re bored, but without a point of comparison, it’s hard to see what’s boring you.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I tend to agree with the OP. I have 6 lvl80, only 1 of them was leveled normally. All the others were either crafted or tomed cause the leveling experience is just lame. It’s like the fun and interesting character development doesn’t start happening until to hit lvl70 where you have enough traits to start experimenting with different builds.

Add to that the wonderful new trait unlock system they introduced with the new player experience project….. ugh gag!

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

leveling is painful

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I can’t believe how many of you fell for this post lmao.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

leveling is painful

Guilty Cross.2706

leveling is not hard.

I think I understand your position, but I respectfully disagree (I don’t think you’re stupid, lazy, or a noob, to be clear). I’ve played MMOs since EQ in 1999, and I personally find GW2 pretty fun/easy to level in.

I do note a few things that make it a lot more fun for me (not telling you this to advise you, just to show you why I don’t find it as boring):

1) Instant 20 scroll. Cuts out the most painful/boring bit of leveling right there.

2) Birthday Booster. A lot of your XP comes from mob kills (usually), and +100% for the entire time you’re leveling (which stacks with other boosts) helps a lot.

3) I use crafting strategically to avoid getting bored. You say it feels like “cheating” – I can see that, but that’s on you, that’s not on the game. You can either keep feeling that way, or change how you think about it.

The way I use it is, if I’m feeling like it’s a bit of a grind, or I’m bored of a zone I’m near the beginning of, or the like, I just go ahead and get 8 levels or so from getting a profession to @400.

4) I avoid zones where nothing is happening, and hit every single event chain I can find. Event chains are typically more fun than other play, and give you XP really kitten fast, esp. if there a lots of packs of mobs involved (and there usually are).

5) Keep my main weapons upgraded – sounds obvious, but sometimes they lag 5 levels or more, and it’s really noticeable how much less fun the game is when this is happening. Maybe you’re already doing this, but when I started doing it – the game got a lot more fun.

6) Always do story stuff – it’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s a ton of XP real fast if you just skip the dialogue.

I leveled an Elementalist from 1-80 this way recently, took under 40 hours, was never bored (and only took two crafting skills to just below 400).

My question for you is:

What is it about other games that keeps you from being bored whilst leveling? Is it LFD in WoW (i.e. dungeon-leveling). Do you actually LIKE quests? Do you normally play with other people when leveling in other games?

I get that you’re bored, but without a point of comparison, it’s hard to see what’s boring you.

i appreciate the genuine reply, not instantly calling someone you dont agree with a kitten. thank you.

to be completely honest in answering your question however, i will say that i cant quite put my finger on whats so different or why exactly im bored to tears with the lvling experience in gw2.

im clearly not alone as a few other posts here agree with me. most people nowadays just craft or tome to 80 it seems.

leveling is painful

Eurhetemec.9052

Dont feed the troll.

Whilst this is true…

…this is more true, and should be recognised regardless of how much of a troll the OP is.

The OP isn’t a troll, because a troll isn’t “someone who disagrees with you” or “someone who has an opinion”.

The trouble with “just play your character lol” is that it doesn’t always work out, especially post-NPE. The NPE made it so that more stuff was locked away and locked away until later, which can make some characters pretty spectacularly dull until 40+ or even later.

GW2 can be very boring to level in. I can say that having played since close to release. Or it can be quite fun. I say that having recently leveled two characters to 80 with another at 61.

If you want to avoid boredom, you have to understand yourself, understand what you enjoy, and avoid the bits of the game that bore you to tears. For me, that means getting to 40+ pretty kitten quickly – If I linger in the lower levels, post-NPE, I know I will soon be bored out of my skull.

For me, it’s worth effectively burning a fair bit of gold to get 16+ levels from two (or more) craft skills, too, and I always do my Personal Story missions for the big chunks of XP they give. I know that going for full-on zone completion tends to send me to sleep, so I avoid doing that too much, no matter how much guides suggest you “must” or are “dumb” for not doing it. I mean, it’s more “dumb” to get bored at L36 or whatever because you were following a dull guide, than to have to spend a bit of extra time on entirely optional world completion at 80, imho.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Okay that I can sort of agree to. Having leveled 5-6 characters mostly “normaly” with some crafting here and there (mostly not more than 7-8 levels worth of). I will agree that getting ranger and engi to 80 was mosly done with tomes, dungeon paths bought and daily xp.

That was mostly due to me not enjoying the classes though. I haven’t really played a character under the NPE system (only some key runs) but from what I’ve seen, it’s a step back as far as imersion goes.

Yes, it takes new players through the beginning of the game at a slower pace, but it makes the first 30 levels so utterly boring that some revamp would be in order.

Locking away weapon skills behind levels was for example one of the worst ideas ever. It limits the available skills even more and takes any sense of progress towards new weapon skills away (I did enjoy killing enemys to unlock my weapon skills, especially since at higher levels they unlocked after 1-2 kills).

Best advice would be, pair up with someone. The game is that much more enjoyable when played together. Try to skip areas you dislike. Use crafting and tomes and what not to skip tedious levels. Mix it up, do some pvp to try out your new class.

leveling is painful

Eurhetemec.9052

i appreciate the genuine reply, not instantly calling someone you dont agree with a kitten. thank you.

to be completely honest in answering your question however, i will say that i cant quite put my finger on whats so different or why exactly im bored to tears with the lvling experience in gw2.

im clearly not alone as a few other posts here agree with me. most people nowadays just craft or tome to 80 it seems.

No problem, I think I get where you’re coming from.

When I started my Ele a couple of week back, I expected to be bored by mid-30s at latest, but the combination of factors somehow meant that 1-80 flew by.

It might be worth spending some time thinking about what bores you about GW2 leveling, or probably better – what’s more fun in other games. Then you can work out if there’s even a way to make leveling in GW2 fun at all.

As for buying 80, you effectively CAN buy level 80 in GW2. Just buy Gems, convert them into gold, and maybe buy some crafting boosters too (if you don’t have some lying around). If you have an instant-20 scroll from a character’s birthday, you use that, then you’ve only got 60 levels to get.

So then you just find a bunch of crafting 1-400 guides, buy all the materials you need from the AH with all the gold you just got from selling Gems, and mindlessly follow them until you’re L80 (my advice – buy some 15-slot bags too, means you can break/sell much less often). With 60 levels to get, and 1-400 getting you 8 levels (last I heard – used to be 10 before 1-500 crafting but oh well), you’ll need about 7 and a half crafts, and conveniently, there are 8 in GW2.

Each one going 1-400 should take well under an hour if you’re following a guide, maybe under 30-40 minutes, and you can watch TV or whatever whilst you do it. I know that’s several hours, but it’s pretty fast and very easy.

If you don’t have a instant 20 scroll because your account is less than a year old, then you’ll only be in your 60s. So that’s less awesome, but I would suggest just doing all your personal story, and any events you find on the way to personal story locations. Those plus the exploration XP will probably get you very close to 80 if not all the way there.

If you’d rather play, two other things which really helped me avoid boredom:

1) Don’t do boring/slow Hearts. If a Heart requires something tedious like schlepping objects around, to hell with it. Just skip it. I focused on Hearts I could level by killing things because then you’re getting XP from that as well.

2) Don’t do zone completion unless you feel like it. I know all the guides want you to. I know everyone says it’s smart. If it’s not fun, though, it’s not smart for you. Going 1-80 on my Ele, I completed maybe 2 zones, if that.

Anyway, hopefully you manage to work out what’s actually fun for you, then you can either plan to level via that, or accept that GW2 is just really never going to be fun to level for you, and either play a different game or play your 80s.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Also played pretty much every major MMO starting with UO in the 90s. In each I have leveled multiple characters to level cap.

It’s boring. All of them are boring. GW2, WoW, UO, AC, EQ, Aion, you name it and its boring to level up when you’ve already leveled multiple characters.

I get that OP is trying to paint the picture that GW2 is boring to level up after you’ve leveled up multiple characters, like it’s the only game on the planet like this, but it’s not. They are all like this.

Leveling up one character is fun. The second one, less fun, but still fun because you can do it a different way. Third one starts to feel like a chore, after that it’s pretty much work.

GW2 is the only game I’ve played where I have leveled TEN characters to level cap. Usually I get bored long before this. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been bored leveling up characters in GW2, but in my opinion GW2 has been far less boring to level up than every MMO I’ve ever played.

Ultimately they are all boring, though. Once you’ve leveled up enough characters.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

leveling is painful

Posted by: oOCitadelOo.2381

oOCitadelOo.2381

I have not read the other posts in regards to the OP, so I am going to directly address the OP. I’ve been playing this game since launch, took a little break for a few months because I was hardcore into it. Exploring everything, doing all the jumping puzzles, completing events, dungeons, etc. And the one main thing I admired about the game, prior to all the boosts and tomes you get now to assist in leveling, was how easy it was to level without it making feel that I was “grinding.” And I have five level 80s, and I am sure other players have many more. I am unsure how long you’ve played and the only thing I would give you on your OP is that, currently, how things are done now to leveling, it isn’t as exciting. But I contribute that to the fact that you’ve probably explored and completed alot of features in the game, and now it feels repetitive. But to be overstate how completely boring it is to level? I would dare say that you may be burned out for now. There are many other options to leveling besides the PVE content. Only if you are into that? However, I do ponder that when you do get to 80, what will you do next? Food for thought.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

well after that godforsaken npe crap hit , even the first level starter boss story scenario became painful.

leveling is painful

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I tend to agree with the OP. I have done the 0-80 leveling 10 times (I deleted characters at one point and later regretted it). I’m currently grinding my way through the 11th (which will give me 1 level 80 of each class). I’m finding it fairly dreadful.

Each level isn’t too bad, but there are a lot of them. For those of you who say it takes 2-3 days, can I ask how many hours you play a day?

I find that, if I get a good EOTM run, I can level about 2 levels an hour (maybe 3 I don’t keep track.) Is this consistent with your experience? Am I missing something obvious?

Of course, getting a good EOTM run greatly depends on which side your on and the conditions of the map. Unfortunately, we aren’t overgrowth this week, so we get wiped periodically, which slows things down.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

leveling is painful

DarkOcean.8746

(no more difficult champion encounters — I’d prefer some champions in a blue moon to none at all).

There are still champions, they’re just not usually out in the open. If you explore, you’ll find them. The only champions that were removed were from the starter areas where people used to mindlessly farm them.

Oh, I know

It’s just that with the general watering down of things it makes those areas less appealing (to me). I didn’t like the Queensdale train (that definitely needed to go), but I enjoyed the challenge of running across a champion as a low level player in a starting area. So underwater enemies, harvesting nodes, champions, skills and probably more that I have forgotten have been removed or watered down. Yet, for some reason, we’re allowed to have Shadow Behemoth, Fire Elemental, and Maw run amok (amok is an exaggeration; however, if champions are deemed too difficult in starting areas, surely these encounters would be deemed unsafe too). Obviously those grand encounters are attractions so they would not, and should not, be gotten rid of. On the other hand, understanding these giant encounters is deemed less difficult than harvesting? Or killing things to earn weapon skills? Traits? Using a water bucket to put out a fire? Killing stray champions?

It’s just sad to me. The starting areas were my favorite areas to romp in. They were accessible and occasionally you would run across a “difficult” encounter. I wish they would randomize the “boss” veterans in the starting areas to occasionally be champions. It would be nice to see new players leveling on a map along with stray veterans (not farming a train, because there wouldn’t be one — it would be random) gather together to take down a champion. Now those new areas are the most soloable of all the maps. This is an MMO; the first impression that would be made to me if I were starting in a starter area would be “I can pretty easily just solo everything without the need of help from others?”

Shadow Behemoth is awesome, but it’s a far stretch from obtaining a feeling of accomplishment when you beat it.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

leveling in this game is extremely quick the only thing that kills it for me in this game is
the new player experience and how useless gathering and harvesting is and how unrewarding most of the game is.

however it is not leveling that is boring but the game areas like seriously what i do for fun is go to maps with water and stare at its beauty (anet pls gib us a pretty sandy crystal clear water beach or a hot spring in HoT )

leveling is painful

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I know this has to be a troll post because no one that ACTUALLY plays the game would think leveling itself is a grind.

There are days when I am playing and realize I was about to hit level 80 without seeing even 50% of the world in game. And that was without crafting a single thing. With crafting it was even faster (and I was just crafting things for the level I had attained).

Leveling in GW2 is the easiest thing in the world between events, hearts, personal story, boosters, crafting, and a plethora of tomes and small xp bumps.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

leveling is painful

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

however it is not leveling that is boring but the game areas like seriously what i do for fun is go to maps with water and stare at its beauty (anet pls gib us a pretty sandy crystal clear water beach or a hot spring in HoT )

Just so long as you don’t go underwater…Underwater combat is more annoyance then anything. Also there is a hot spring “resort” in Wayfarer Foothills, look for Zelechor Hot Springs Waypoint.

@OP Leveling is boring after the 1st-2nd time regardless, though I put most of the blame on the lackluster character development as you level. Hopefully that will change with the new trait system, but sadly I won’t be able to test since I’ve already maxed out the 5 character slots(with no intention of buying more).

leveling is painful

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I think the best advise is to forget about leveling. Just play the game and enjoy the content, and the levels will fly by. Go explore. Jump into WvW. Play sPvP. Join events. Do your personal story. Do anything and everything that interests you, just try not to think about leveling at all.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

leveling is painful

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I know this has to be a troll post because no one that ACTUALLY plays the game would think leveling itself is a grind.

There are days when I am playing and realize I was about to hit level 80 without seeing even 50% of the world in game. And that was without crafting a single thing. With crafting it was even faster (and I was just crafting things for the level I had attained).

Leveling in GW2 is the easiest thing in the world between events, hearts, personal story, boosters, crafting, and a plethora of tomes and small xp bumps.

Well… speaking only for myself. I’ve seen the world. I have map complete, I have a legendary, I’ve done the jumping puzzles, and I’ve done them a lot. It’s a little stale.

What I want to do is mess around with a new class, but so much of that is gated behind a fair amount of leveling. I find that most of what I’m interested in I can’t do until I hit level 80. Because, for example, grandmaster traits are all locked up until you finish leveling. Leveling in the past was much better because you got access so much sooner.

Master traits at 40 and grandmaster at 60 was so much better.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Well… speaking only for myself. I’ve seen the world. I have map complete, I have a legendary, I’ve done the jumping puzzles, and I’ve done them a lot. It’s a little stale.

What I want to do is mess around with a new class, but so much of that is gated behind a fair amount of leveling. I find that most of what I’m interested in I can’t do until I hit level 80. Because, for example, grandmaster traits are all locked up until you finish leveling. Leveling in the past was much better because you got access so much sooner.

This.

leveling is painful

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Leveling isn’t hard. Mapping is boring and tedious after first one or two times. I can get to 80 fast but without open maps my 80 is useless.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

leveling is painful

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

…grandmaster traits are all locked up until you finish leveling. Leveling in the past was much better because you got access so much sooner.

I agree, the old system was much better than the new. But they are changing the system again, and by the sounds of it it will be much better than even the only system. It all depends on whether certain tiers are level locked, and if so to what extent. Overall though, it sounds like there are some really good changes coming, which should make unlocking builds a lot less painful.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

leveling is painful

DarkOcean.8746

Also, people keep saying leveling is easy. This is true. However, easy =/= fun or exciting.

leveling is painful

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I think the op is commenting on the boredom of open world PvE more than actual “leveling grind”. That would be my guess anyway.

And I have to agree. I can’t bring myself to play PvE to level.

leveling is painful

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Also, people keep saying leveling is easy. This is true. However, easy =/= fun or exciting.

True but you’re talking about two different complaints. OP is saying it’s difficult to level. It isn’t. Anyone with about 100 gold can level in 4 hours. And many other suggestions were made to level EASILY and QUICKLY. None of those options, however, may be fun or exciting.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

leveling is painful

Eurhetemec.9052

True but you’re talking about two different complaints. OP is saying it’s difficult to level. It isn’t. Anyone with about 100 gold can level in 4 hours. And many other suggestions were made to level EASILY and QUICKLY. None of those options, however, may be fun or exciting.

No, he isn’t. Don’t misrepresent him.

He specifically says it’s not hard. Read his posts, and retract your claim.

He didn’t say it was it was hard, he said it was boring. If his first post confused you, he clarifies later on, and is very clear.

leveling is painful

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

The op`s post is clearly a joke. Anyone who played a couple other mmos know how easy is to level here.

I have 4 80s and yes, open world exploration, event and heart completing get dull after a while, but even after doing all this for 4 toons the game still find ways to amuse me.

Anyways, I don`t believe there is any mmo out there that keeps the journey to max level fun after you do it a couple times.