lingering problems in large scale events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

I am outright disappointed that the game is 615 days old and one still has to turn almost every attempt at assaulting Grenth’s temple into a teaching lesson to other players about how the mechanics of the fight work.

I don’t mind teaching others, and I expect a few failures due to the player base in attendance not always performing the best…but an event like Grenth outright requires teaching other players because the nuances of how the shades work is entirely unexplained to them otherwise.

Anet is pushing their job of explaining event mechanics onto other players way too much for a game that is 615 days after launch. If one coder would take 5 minutes to put some guidance into the HUD about the event for new players, then COUNTLESS time wouldn’t be wasted amongst the many players who run temple events.

What other events should Anet have on their to-do list to either better explain the mechanics or re-work the mechanics that don’t work on the meta-level?

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Tootltips on the buffs tell the story.

Seriously though, why should anet spoon feed everything? Its not so hard to figure out. If they can’t, then they aren’t thinking.. in which case anything you write in map chat isn’t read either. You can’t fix people.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

You can’t fix people.

Well said. As a programmer who understands how broken people are, I can say for certainty that there is no amount of coding that can replace human stupidity.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Instead of calling people stupid one should say they need some teaching on what to do and maybe put a link to some instructions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/17tvl3/how_to_grenth/

Not once in all the times I have done Grenth have I heard anyone explain what should be done or what to expect which could easily be called out at Death’s Gaze Torch before entry to the temple is started. While I realize you will always have folk who have chat boxes closed, disregard instructions, just don’t care, may not understand or be fluent in the language etc. you will have some folk be very grateful for some instruction beforehand. Also once the mob gets going and simply charges in full bore it is nearly impossible, in the swirling masses of players and shades, to figure out what is going on much less to see the portals you need to pass through before you get downed and have to waypoint and run back.

It is not an intuitive event and a new player won’t think to look at a tooltip to check a buff. Cooperation in having small groups of people doing certain things to succeed in an event is also difficult to achieve with a generic mob. Tequatl is the prime example of that. About all you can do is say look for these dark swirling spots, walk through, damage shades, walk back through to reduce your damage stacks, rinse and repeat… Those who don’t listen will be dying and running back and dying and running back etc.

No, you can’t fix people and they don’t need to be spoon fed but not everything is that easy to figure out for everyone and they have as much right to play the game their way as the rest of us do our ways. What might seem obvious to you may not be to others and if that many appear to be not getting it then it is the design of the event that is the issue. It might have been better to ‘teach’ about the portals and shades mechanics in a small mini event just prior to (or even triggering the start of the event) or enroute to going in the the larger event that would prepare folk a bit better.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You can’t fix people.

So absolutely true. In my college days I worked for the IT department, specifically helping students set up their computers in their room to properly use the network. In those days it was pretty much wired only.

If you knew how many times I’d be sent out to someone’s dorm room because their internet wasn’t working simply to find their ethernet cords weren’t plugged in all the way. It’s seriously like click….ok you’re good…. and it’s not like we don’t ask them ahead of time to check their cables (because of the sheer number of calls like this — mostly girls). Are you sure it’s plugged in all the way? Yes, it’s plugged in all the way. Get to the room. click there ya go…. have a nice day.

Or worse yet, the dreaded power strip plugged into itself. “My computer isn’t turning on!” Well is it plugged in, are you getting power? “Let me check, yea it’s plugged in I don’t know what’s wrong!” /sigh

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

pls dont divert the topic

Veteran player spends ‘X’ amount of time explaining the mechanics of how the shades work, as they are NOT explained in game even remotely close to thoroughly.
Veteran player explains the mechanics ‘n’ quantity of times the event happens.

Coder explains the mechanics ONCE in game.

Coder saves veteran players ‘Xn’ time.

^^make it so

Anet: you could very easily assign one or two coders to fix this and i promise you would get thousands of volunteers to point out where your mechanics lack explaining.

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

Social interactions in MMOs? How strange!