living story : What is this all about?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Really what is this " living story" thing all about?

I never really tried it since it was just a pop up in the corner where event info was. Seem more like a traditional quest with more larger objective.

But what is it really?

Is it instanced like Personal Stories are in some ways?

Whats its purpose?

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

The Living Story is ANet’s way of keeping the masses happy. It’s basically open world events for the most part that reward you in someway for doing it. Every 2 weeks something new shows up that gets people riled up. This is the Living Story.

Look at is as a way the make the game fresh and new.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

It’s a clever substitute for real content, with gem store monetization thrown in for bonus effect.

goldenwing.8473

It’s a clever substitute for real content, with gem store monetization thrown in for bonus effect.

I’d agree, except about the “clever” part. <straightface>

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Skan.5301

Rehashed content in the guise of being new is pretty clever in a sense. inb4 the list comes in showing how it’s actually brand new and not the same as previous content updates.

– Euripides

Spiral Architect.6540

Yeah, after I hit “reply” I doubted myself on that one. But I let it stand, because I couldn’t think of anything more “clever” to put in there. “Devious,” perhaps?

goldenwing.8473

Yeah, after I hit “reply” I doubted myself on that one. But I let it stand, because I couldn’t think of anything more “clever” to put in there. “Devious,” perhaps?

Lol, yeah, I was thinking “manipulative”. I like “devious” better.

Spiral Architect.6540

inb4 the list comes in showing how it’s actually brand new and not the same as previous content updates.

I’m sure there’s an alarm (with a flashing red light) going off in Vayne’s office about now.

Skan.5301

inb4 the list comes in showing how it’s actually brand new and not the same as previous content updates.

I’m sure there’s an alarm (with a flashing red light) going off in Vayne’s office about now.

He must be having Internet issues. He’s usually on every thread to lawyer it in case there’s any resistance. I fully expected him to already be here with a boatload of kitten to throw at us.

– Euripides

goldenwing.8473

Apologies to Knighthonor, I hope you’ve seen the first post and the GW2 Wiki links before the thread gets removed.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Apologies to Knighthonor, I hope you’ve seen the first post and the GW2 Wiki links before the thread gets removed.

Yes. Thanks all. But the first link seem kind of subjective when it comes to explaining what it is. say something about bringing the world to life. And leaves it vague there. No idea what they could mean by that.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

The Living Story is essentially a way to tell stories in the world over a period of time. Starting with Flame and Frost- the story has had many developments over the last couple of months.
The whole story does add up and have an overarching plot line but it is possible to do individual updates on their own.
Some of it has been in the open world and some of it has been instanced.
Some of it is temporary- to drive the story forward, some of it is permanent- to show that the events occurred in the world.

So basically it is a way for the world to stay dynamic as opposed to static.
They are still experimenting to see how best to find a sweet spot.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The living world has turned out to be nothing more than a series of achievement sets that involve repeating the F key over and over and over and over again.

It’s not living — your actions basically do nothing to change the outcome of the story. And as stories go, they are pretty bottom of the barrel.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The living world is really just content releases every two weeks, with an associated set of achievements. Those who like achievement hunting, as a rule, like the living world and those who dont’ like it, don’t like the living world.

Different months have different things.

The biggest objection most people have to the living world is that the content is temporary, which is understandable. It puts pressure on people to log in, which is the point. And despite the opposition, it seems to be working. People seem to be logging in to play.

Is it good? It’s a mixed bag. Different months have different events that are very different. This month, for example, is my least favorite in a long time (but some people seem to like it).

Some of the content is instanced, some of the content is open world, there’s usually a mix.

Right now you have SAB, which is instanced, and the whole Tequatl fight revamp, which is open world.

I like the Teq fight a whole lot more than I like SAB.

Vayne.8563

He must be having Internet issues. He’s usually on every thread to lawyer it in case there’s any resistance. I fully expected him to already be here with a boatload of kitten to throw at us.

Nah, nothing you’ve said so far is convincing enough to reply to. Sorry to waste your time.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

This thread its going to be long i assure you.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Nah, nothing you’ve said so far is convincing enough to reply to. Sorry to waste your time.

You just replied…

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

According to some, it’s about getting that new weapon skin, backpack and mini to tide us over until they add some other major ui update or dungeon.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Vayne.8563

You just replied…

Sure, but I didn’t reply to their comments about Guild Wars 2. I replied to their comments about me not commenting about their comments. lol

Vayne.8563

According to some, it’s about getting that new weapon skin, backpack and mini to tide us over until they add some other major ui update or dungeon.

Do you deny that some people love and even live for achievement points? To them this is content. I’m guessing there are more people out there like that then is immediately apparent.

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

You just replied…

Sure, but I didn’t reply to their comments about Guild Wars 2. I replied to their comments about me not commenting about their comments. lol

Yeah cause replying just for the sake of protecting dat forum rep is worthy of your time.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Selling you related items via the gemstore…

Can’t believe no one told the OP the truth…c’mon guys get with the program…

Vayne.8563

You just replied…

Yeah cause replying just for the sake of protecting dat forum rep is worthy of your time.

Some would say I was enjoying the banter. I don’t care enough about my “rep” to go out of my way to defend it. It’s quite clear that a percentage of forum dwellers don’t like me, and I’m fine with that. Being disliked isn’t the worst thing that can happen to someone in life.