loot engine

loot engine

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eksoz Ethe.9871

Eksoz Ethe.9871

It finally happened, i refuse to play with some guildies as from today. The reason?
Loot, plain and simple. There is one guy, 900 hours clocked, who has 4 precursors already, exotic after exotic, lodestone after lodestone, ring after ring in dungeons
and fractals while other people got absolutely nothing with 400+ hours more
clocked. And to top it of i heared this rumor that karkashells en powerfull blood droprate will be decreased. So, some people get their legendary thrown at them while other people have to farm / grind themselves into oblivion to get the same thing. And no, it’s got nothing to do with luck..a one or two week luckstreak, thats luck. But this has been going on for , well, since the start of the game. I know they are only virtual rewards but extremely frustrating nevertheless.

I hope a dev will respond to this frustrating ( not only for me but for dozens of others in my guild as well) topic.

Regards,

Don

loot engine

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

You’re silly for believing that rumor.

By the way, I heard precursor drop rate is increased by 100% and now has a huge drop rate from WvW chests! I guess you don’t have to quit after all!

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

loot engine

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

The devs will not respond, they dont give a kitten about what players “perceive”

this post will not gain more attention than the huge 1500 post thread already in place

In fact I predict this post will be merged, moved, or deleted. by the mods.

But please continue making more threads, soone or later the devs will have to provide some kind of answer if enough people are kitten off.

loot engine

Posted by: DevorianDevil.6037

DevorianDevil.6037

i have a guildie who threw in 100 rare swords in the mystic forge and got 3 sparks. Other guildies who have thrown in 250+ swords into it have gotten none.
RNG can be a …

Hoping ill be lucky enough to get my collossus fast enough with the mystic toilet

loot engine

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I know the feeling bro… you know this typical warrior that you have to carry on through the dungeon, that goes full berserker (in attitude, not in build) and gets headshoted all the time… and then gets Dawn on his first try with 4 exotics? Well, I’ll keep playing, though :p I don’t care that much about what the others got >.<

BTW, I heard a rumor that you will get precursors with your breakfast cereals…

loot engine

Eksoz Ethe.9871

You’re silly for believing that rumor.

By the way, I heard precursor drop rate is increased by 100% and now has a huge drop rate from WvW chests! I guess you don’t have to quit after all!

i am not quitting, just taking a break to let the virtual frustation flow away

loot engine

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

It finally happened, i refuse to play with some guildies as from today. The reason?
Loot, plain and simple. There is one guy, 900 hours clocked, who has 4 precursors already, exotic after exotic, lodestone after lodestone, ring after ring in dungeons
clocked. And to top it of i heared this rumor that karkashells en powerfull blood droprate will be decreased. So, some people get their legendary thrown at them while other people have to farm / grind themselves into oblivion to get the same thing. And no, it’s got nothing to do with luck..a one or two week luckstreak, thats luck. But this has been going on for , well, since the start of the game. I know they are only virtual rewards but extremely frustrating nevertheless.

I hope a dev will respond to this frustrating ( not only for me but for dozens of others in my guild as well) topic.

Regards,

Don

One of my friends/guildies is like that as well. It’s not their fault the RNG works for them so really taking it out on them is quite silly. It wouldn’t be them I would stop playing with, it would be the game itself. Even the one getting the loot feels the same way.

loot engine

Posted by: Sericenthe.5310

Sericenthe.5310

Seems pretty silly to me that there is all this “legendary” work to get a legendary item. Tons of farming and gathering of materials, map completion, etc. And still it’s all bunk cause the precursor is 100% bonafide win the lottery luck. Or buy a lot of gems and buy it from the gem store………………

Seri Kali [Me] – 80 Necromancer -Yak’s Bend

loot engine

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Yes i agree, the reward system in this game is just godly awful, same two people doing exactly the same effort, should more or less get the same rewards, but here, thanks to RNG someone can do 100 times more effort than the other guy, yet the other guy get 100 times better rewards! Its dumb and this game will slowly die if this doesnt change, only the ‘lucky’ people will continue to play this.

loot engine

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Or buy a lot of gems and buy it from the gem store.

^This.

Zero RNG, zero luck, zero work.

It’s a win, win, win situation.

loot engine

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

If it was actually an actually random RNG, I’d be okay with it. But it isn’t. “Impossible” odds keep happening over and over. Yesterday I salvaged 8 level 80 rares in a row and got zero ectos. 5 guildmates doing speed dungeon runs, and the breakdown of loot was

5 rares, 2 exotics for one person
1 exotic one rare for one person
No rares for 3 people.

(and no one was using MF of any kind)

I know these kinds of “random” things can happen – but they happen all the kitten time.

loot engine

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The purpose of the loot system in a game is to give players a sense of reward for play beyond the reward of the gameplay itself. It’s hard to miss it when the loot system isn’t working and that’s why we have all the threads on the subject. The only other game where I’ve experienced something similar also was based on RMT. It doesn’t take a tinfoil hat to begin inferring possible reasons for the absence of loot in the game. I hope they fix it as game play and game world are very good. Loot, I believe, is the second biggest problem with the game right now.

loot engine

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

The loot engine is this game is abysmal…there’s no other way to describe it. I do love the game, but the loot issues in the game are eventually going to drive me away.

loot engine

Posted by: Sito.6352

Sito.6352

The loot engine is this game is abysmal…there’s no other way to describe it. I do love the game, but the loot issues in the game are eventually going to drive me away.

Same. The game is awesome in many ways, yet it keeps frustrating me with the bugs introduced in every patch and the unrewarding dungeon runs. I mean, running Fractals of the Mists 34 barely gives me 1g. Not worth the time at all..

loot engine

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Same. The game is awesome in many ways, yet it keeps frustrating me with the bugs introduced in every patch and the unrewarding dungeon runs. I mean, running Fractals of the Mists 34 barely gives me 1g. Not worth the time at all..

Fractals have the best rare and exotic drop rates of any content in the game, which is great if you need ectos, and the main reason to run it is for the relics and chance for an immediate piece of Ascended gear. Running it for gold is pretty inefficient… you know that each of the three paths of AC will give you over 1g alone, right?

Granted, I’m of the seemingly rare mindset that you should be running all of the above primarily for fun… but that’s neither here nor there.

loot engine

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

there’s this thing call trolling… you’d be amazed at how many precursors people claim to get from dragon chests. I even once saw someone find Twilight from the Claw of Jormag chest, with item link and everything!

loot engine

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Regards,

Don

The rumor has been confirmed. I used to get an okay number of powerful bloods from these, now I get the greys constantly. I got 6 karka shells from 100 kills. the rest was greys and 1 green. It’s not a rumor anymore folks when you actually experience it for yourself.

I think we’re dealing with more then one thing similtaneously. I think it’s a mixture of kill credit, whatever they did to break MF, DR, lowered loot tables, and bugs alround. If the game can get bugged from a single patch where everything you are looking at disappears entirely, then a harder to measure MF/DR/Loot Rate/Kill Credit system can easily be bugged out entirely.

Also, I believe that any game that measures participation using solely a dps meter system doesn’t deserve the time of the players either because there’s plenty of other things to be doing even in an attack in Orr, like Rezzing. They’re basically telling healer types they aren’t needed and don’t deserve anything from kills drops.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

loot engine

Posted by: Ingway.5106

Ingway.5106

RNG semms to be keeping me in the “unlucky” zone, i can’t find a single crappy ecto from rares, never, i’m lucky if i get 1, wich is funny because before i took a break from the game some months ago, i was getting 2-3 ectos from rares real easy, now it’s a freaking chore to farm then because of the freaking RNG.

I’m guessing a player is just locked in the “lucky” or “unlucky” zone randonly… i see people who never stoped getting good drops and ectos while others take forever to get one or get at least 1 ecto from rares.

loot engine

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

RNG semms to be keeping me in the “unlucky” zone, i can’t find a single crappy ecto from rares, never, i’m lucky if i get 1, wich is funny because before i took a break from the game some months ago, i was getting 2-3 ectos from rares real easy, now it’s a freaking chore to farm then because of the freaking RNG.

I’m guessing a player is just locked in the “lucky” or “unlucky” zone randonly… i see people who never stoped getting good drops and ectos while others take forever to get one or get at least 1 ecto from rares.

Well, this, the game isnt fair, same effort and different results based on luck and rng =/

loot engine

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Am I the only one who farms gold instead of items?

• Items have RNG and possible DR attached to them.
  • Gold from dungeons is consistent and DR is easily avoided. You also have a potential for drops.

Farm gold, not items.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

loot engine

Eksoz Ethe.9871

Am I the only one who farms gold instead of items?

• Items have RNG and possible DR attached to them.
  • Gold from dungeons is consistent and DR is easily avoided. You also have a potential for drops.

Farm gold, not items.

it’s not about farming gold or drops , it’s about the same few people getting all the drops over and over again and the rest getting nothing. The RNG is broken beyond repair. Same guy logs on this morning and gets his 6gd exotic wothin 30 minutes while the rest of us..nothing , as usual. It’s becoming a dealbreaker for me. Trying CoF now, for tokens, and if the same thing happens again…i am done with gw2.

loot engine

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

You can’t really say that a RNG is broken, can you? If you have a large enough sample, weird things are bound to happen. It wouldn’t be random if everyone got the exact same stuff in the same amount of hours played.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

loot engine

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

You can’t really say that a RNG is broken, can you? If you have a large enough sample, weird things are bound to happen. It wouldn’t be random if everyone got the exact same stuff in the same amount of hours played.

Either way people aren’t feeling rewarded doesn’t matter if it is broken or not at this point.

People want to be rewarded for their time.

I have been playing since beta, not one precursor here. I have put thousands of rares (purchased from TP, I hardly get them as drops)into the toilet aka mystic forge. Farmed hundreds of dragons, fractal level 60…..

I am lucky to get an exotic a week, rares maybe 1 or 2 a week if im lucky. While I have friends that run with me on alot of the content I do…. linking rares all the time, exotics etc etc.

I could really careless if RNG is broken or functioning normally. What I care about is the fact that some people are extremely favored by RNG while others rarely get drops, while they are putting in the same effort if not more.

loot engine

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

and what will he buy with all that gold that will make him better than you?

unless that guildie of yours is conducting black market trading, the answer is most likely “nothing”

I have over 1,200 hours logged. I have never gotten a precursor and I am not once upset. I get jealous sometimes but I shrug it off. Sure the gold can help me dress up my toons, but it’s not really important.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

(edited by Happyfool.8951)

loot engine

Eksoz Ethe.9871

and what will he buy with all that gold that will make him better than you?

unless that guildie of yours is conducting black market trading, the answer is most likely “nothing”

I have over 1,200 hours logged. I have never gotten a precursor and I am not once upset. I get jealous sometimes but I shrug it off. Sure the gold can help me dress up my toons, but it’s not really important.

once again, its not about what he can buy with it or that it makes him better.
It’s that every time you run a dungeon, event, freggel with those 2 ( and i know there’s nothing they can do about it, i don’t blame them) you the partychat " exotic, lodestone, named exotic, 6gd exotic, cores etc etc. Others know in advance they don’t stand a chance..theywill get the drops. It’s not random anymore, it’s almost if some accounts are flagged " mucho good loot" and others are flagged " nope, you’ll never get something good" . That is what bothers me.

1 guildie just quit GW2 because of just that….and after some dungeon runs this morning…i am number 2.

To all..GL & HF

loot engine

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

really?that conspiracy theory again? a Dev already dismissed that in one of the many threads similar to yours.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

loot engine

Eksoz Ethe.9871

i said..almost….not fact. don’t put words in my mouth

loot engine

Posted by: Mighty Bless.8471

Mighty Bless.8471

The true fact is none of us know how Rng loot tables works…
Rng on kill?
Rng on event?
Rng table with a set of drops per kill and then Rng that divide Loot Between killers?

Who knows, without info about how loot is working all is assumption.

Maybe some devs can explain.

My opinion? THIS Rng is quite odd

loot engine

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

It’s that every time you run a dungeon, event, freggel with those 2 ( and i know there’s nothing they can do about it, i don’t blame them) you the partychat " exotic, lodestone, named exotic, 6gd exotic, cores etc etc. Others know in advance they don’t stand a chance..theywill get the drops.

Smells like trolls to me :P

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

loot engine

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Do you know someone who won the lottery 3 times? 4 times? or at least 2 times?

Lottery is a real RNG…. when a players gets 3 or 4 precursor in 600 hours of play without looking for them and others with 1500hs struggling to get a legendary gets nothing I stop thinking its only RNG.

DR fixes are seriously bugging some players.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

loot engine

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

when a players gets 3 or 4 precursor in 600 hours of play without looking for them and others with 1500hs struggling to get a legendary gets nothing I stop thinking its only RNG.

I hear Arena Net has 5 employees just monitoring you and making sure you don’t get drops. It’s a conspiracy, I tell you!

The true fact is none of us know how Rng loot tables works…
Rng on kill?
Rng on event?
Rng table with a set of drops per kill and then Rng that divide Loot Between killers?

Loot from corpses is decided when the mob is killed. Loot from chests and containers is decided when they are opened. Each player gets a separate roll. In the case of loot from corpses, the roll is affected by magic find. It’s not very clear which ones are affected by diminishing returns (TBH I think even Arena Net’s coders aren’t 100% sure, judging from some of their replies here).

GW2 uses a (mostly) “pure” RNG, so it’s perfectly possible for one player to get five exotics in a row while another gets nothing at all. That’s what “random” means.

Some games (ex., TF2) use a pseudo-random system where your chances of getting a drop increase with time, or increase whenever you dont’ get a drop. This appears random, but in the long run ensures that everyone gets approximately the same number of drops (although they can still get different drops).

It could be interesting if, for every hour of GW2 gameplay, your chances of getting an exotic drop increased by 1% (for example). This would mean that, even if you were terribly unlucky, you would be guaranteed to get an exotic for every 100 hours of gameplay. As soon as you got one, your “luck bonus” would be reset to 0, and you’d have the same chance as anyone else (i.e., the chance would be the one defined in the loot table of the enemy you killed or the chest you opened, as it is currently).

Some people would still be luckier than others, but this would ensure that no player would have “bad luck” forever.

And the same thing could be applied to precursors (ex., +0.1% increase in “luck” for each hour of gameplay, resetting whenever you got one).

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

loot engine

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

@Account Actually that would be an excellent idea. The feeling when you get a rare or an exotic is one of the best things in the game… I even started making screenshots when I get an exotic!

loot engine

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Fractals have the best rare and exotic drop rates of any content in the game, which is great if you need ectos, and the main reason to run it is for the relics and chance for an immediate piece of Ascended gear. Running it for gold is pretty inefficient… you know that each of the three paths of AC will give you over 1g alone, right?

Granted, I’m of the seemingly rare mindset that you should be running all of the above primarily for fun… but that’s neither here nor there.

Fractals best loot? AHAHAH! please, Im laughing so hard it hurts.. I imagine for a small percentage of the population who get rares and exos like fraking candy from fractals sure, but for the majority of us, the fractals are absolutely horrible for rares or any loot in general.

And then there are those of us who tilt the other way, Hell lately i’ve been LUCKYYYY if i break 1g from a 20-30+ fractal, hell most of the time i barley reach 50s..

while being stuck watching 1 player linking a rare after rare after exotics after lodestone.

I don’t know about the loot system in general, but it most definatly is broken in fractals.. Its always the same person who ends up getting considerably more or less loot..

The most amount of rares I have gotten from fractals these last 2 weeks have been 3 rares, not one of them was from the chests, they all dropped of mobs.

On the other hand im getting a kittenload of utterly useless condensed mist.

loot engine

Account.9832

I imagine for a small percentage of the population who get rares and exos like fraking candy from fractals sure, but for the majority of us, the fractals are absolutely horrible for rares or any loot in general.

And then there are those of us who tilt the other way, Hell lately i’ve been LUCKYYYY if i break 1g from a 20-30+ fractal, hell most of the time i barley reach 50s..

Everyone I know gets, on average, 2 or 3 rares per fractal run (i.e., for every 3 fractals), without any magic find armor (though most do use magic find food). That’s about 1 gold (~33s each), if you simply sell them at the TP. Plus a ton of blues and greens that can be sold or salvaged for extra money, plus a lot of T5 and a few T6 crafting materials, in some fractals (ex., dredge).

The grawl, dredge and jade maw fractals are probably the most profitable, due to the high number of mobs. If you manage to save all the prisoners in the grawl fractal, you’ll get an extra chest and there’s a decent chance of a (soulbound) exotic at the end.

Naturally, if you skip most mobs in the dungeon, not only won’t you get the blues and greens (and gold, and crafting materials), but you also decrease your chances of getting rares, simply because you’re looting less often.

The highest chance of rare drops seems to be from the final chest in the underwater fractal, possibly to offset the fact that you don’t have many mobs to kill. I’d say I get a rare trident about 40% of the times, and two rare tridents about 20% of the times. Strangely this doesn’t seem to apply to the swamp fractal (where there’s even less enemies to kill); maybe because it’s very short, so the “extra reward” is the time you save.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

loot engine

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

so they average about 1g for 1+ hour of work.. about 1/10 of what you can get.. how is that anywhere near the best way of getting globs?

That said, my average is much lower then 2-3 rares sadly.

loot engine

Hawkian.6580

Fractals best loot? AHAHAH! please, Im laughing so hard it hurts.. I imagine for a small percentage of the population who get rares and exos like fraking candy from fractals sure, but for the majority of us, the fractals are absolutely horrible for rares or any loot in general.

while being stuck watching 1 player linking a rare after rare after exotics after lodestone.

I don’t know about the loot system in general, but it most definatly is broken in fractals.. Its always the same person who ends up getting considerably more or less loot..

The most amount of rares I have gotten from fractals these last 2 weeks have been 3 rares, not one of them was from the chests, they all dropped of mobs.

On the other hand im getting a kittenload of utterly useless condensed mist.

You may laugh all you wish. Fractals have the best drop rates for rares and exotics of any content in the game. This is not my opinion or anecdotal conjecture. They are a mediocre source of gold at best. In the post of mine you quoted I gave an example of a much better, more efficient and more consistent source of gold.

Using your own experience to justify anything that has to do with random drops is a poor idea. I’m sorry that you have had bad luck in fractals; but that is what it was.

The containers of condensed mist items are used in all of the Mystic forge reciped related to ascended/infused gear.

so they average about 1g for 1+ hour of work.. about 1/10 of what you can get.. how is that anywhere near the best way of getting globs?

That said, my average is much lower then 2-3 rares sadly.

He was talking about selling the items on the TP for silver. If you use a master or BL salvage kit you have a chance of more than one glob per rare or exotic item. There is no better way to acquire rares and exotics for this purpose than by playing fractals (buying the cheapest options on the TP is a faster route but you pay for the convenience rather than earning money as you would playing fractals).

Again, it sucks that you’ve had poor drops in fractals on average and I’m sorry. But why you think there’s any more to it than you simply having had poor drops on average… that’s where you lose me.

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

loot engine

Account.9832

so they average about 1g for 1+ hour of work.. about 1/10 of what you can get..

If it takes you 1 hour to do a fractal run, you’re probably doing something wrong. And that 1 gold is just from selling rares (assuming it’s gold you want). It doesn’t include all the blues and greens, the crafting materials and the actual gold looted from mobs / bosses / chests.

You “can get” >100g in one second, if you happen to sell a desirable item at the trading post, or if you simply buy gems and exchange them for gold.

I play through dungeons to have fun, not to get some virtual pixels at the end (or, even worse, to see some number increase). If you’re not having fun playing the game, maybe doing something else would be a better investment of your time?

how is that anywhere near the best way of getting globs?

Huh? Where did I say anything about “the best way of getting globs” in my post…? The “best” way is to buy them (or buy items to salvage).

You wrote "Fractals best loot? AHAHAH! please, Im laughing so hard it hurts.. ". So what other dungeon in the game provides better loot?

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

loot engine

Hawkian.6580

Fractals are definitely the overall best way to get globs, though. Not the fastest (that’d be buy n’ salvage, or just buy outright at a massive loss), but you earn gold/relics/pristines simultaneously alongside the loot drops, and get a chance for an instant piece of ascended gear once per tier per day (after tier 1).

loot engine

Posted by: foenxz.8564

foenxz.8564

I wonder how long it will be before Anet figures out that time = money/gold/ecto/lodestone whatever. If people put their countless hours playing the game (which i hope is what Anet wants), then they need to start rewarding people for their time, no matter how they choose to play the game (farming, dungeons, fractals etc). If some people keep having unlucky streaks, they will eventually just leave. (and i’m not saying i’m unlucky, cause i manage to get 1 or 2 rares sometimes in a day, but never an exotic though). I think the pseudo-random system mentioned above is a great idea.
It is so frustrating to think that such an excellent game is getting spoiled by just one factor in the game, the economy/loot/drop rate, which Anet gives much more importance than something like gameplay, which in my books should be higher. What is the point of controlling the economy like this if it totally breaks the satisfaction of people playing it in the first place.
I dont expect a rare every time, but when 30 people fight the champ at the end of plinx, and not a single person gets a rare, you know something is broken.

loot engine

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

The purpose of the loot system in a game is to give players a sense of reward for play beyond the reward of the gameplay itself. It’s hard to miss it when the loot system isn’t working and that’s why we have all the threads on the subject. The only other game where I’ve experienced something similar also was based on RMT. It doesn’t take a tinfoil hat to begin inferring possible reasons for the absence of loot in the game. I hope they fix it as game play and game world are very good. Loot, I believe, is the second biggest problem with the game right now.

Agreed.

loot engine

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

If it was actually an actually random RNG, I’d be okay with it. But it isn’t. “Impossible” odds keep happening over and over. Yesterday I salvaged 8 level 80 rares in a row and got zero ectos. 5 guildmates doing speed dungeon runs, and the breakdown of loot was

5 rares, 2 exotics for one person
1 exotic one rare for one person
No rares for 3 people.

(and no one was using MF of any kind)

I know these kinds of “random” things can happen – but they happen all the kitten time.

This has been my point for months, and it’s been my observation since the 11/15 patch.

The devs are NOT listening however, and because of that I’ve stopped playing. I’m now at least 1.5 weeks without any time online besides dusting off my account to fill out someone else’s survey on game play.

loot engine

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Dont worry. Since this is all an xfiles conspiracy, im sure anet is hiring mulder and scully to solve the case. Or at least look into it