lorefriendly immersion fix to the waypoints .

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: scizwig.5492

scizwig.5492

I had been reading ( https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-waypoints-is-glorious/first ) seeing both sides to peoples arguments, the pros and cons of way points, the possibilities of res shrines, the distribution of them etc. (I would have posted in this thread but my post covers a bit more than I had first intended) I thought it would be cool if they had a middle ground with all of the maps. A middle ground which I propose to be: At each entrance to a map there should be a way point, as there already is. These way points would function as they do in game now, but should be at a cheap fixed price to use all throughout the game. Then there would be an even distribution of way points that act like gw1 resurrection shrines and would cost a small bit more. Like in Guild Wars they can have their respective priest of Dwayna/seraph field medic, Charr field medic, Norn Sharman, Asuran physician and Sylvari herbalist; depending on which map you’re on. There wouldn’t be so many that they trivialise the size of the map (and its game feel) but permit for quick re-entry to key locations and dynamic events as you chose which you wish to spawn at.
Given the state of the living story at the moment and just the general dangers that are faced by Tyrians on a daily basis, this is quite a lore friendly approach.
However, this raises the issue of the extra travel time to get from one point to another within a map, which could possibly be remedied by the implementation of mounts. This could be approached in multiple ways: Your player could be gifted a mount from the start as a reward from helping fix the problems presented within the tutorial missions, allowing them to be race specific. (Can’t really see a Charr on horseback. xD) Any further accusation of mounts could be done through the gem store (purely for the aesthetic, you still have the one you start with) . Alternatively, a more fun and interesting approach would be to make an in lore service. This service would rent out mounts for a low fixed price, say 1silver and 25 copper (Could get more expensive if you want a faster mount?). And so long as you stay in the map your mount will be with you (spawning with you respectively). And for a reasonable amount of gold you can buy a horse, which will be stored in a type of ‘barn’ (So upon entering a map from a city you can go to this barn and maps where a barn would have no place in being, you could maybe have a traveling ‘horse’ vendor.) But, it does not end there once you have brought a horse it could open up a new crafting profession: Breeding/maintenance. So the more you dress your ‘horse’ horse shoes to armour, could develop its speed or give you momentary boosts or boons after dismounting. (Encouraging the act of dismounting xD.) As you get to higher levels you could opt to breed and so opening up the possibilities for faster/stronger/longer lasting boon giving duration (The mount could even have its own skill bar with speed skills ect.) And this would present the opportunity to create your own unique looking ‘horse’. So you have the option to just rent or really work on getting something awesome (mini game racing would be super special awesome. xD)
It is my opinion that the waypoint system at present has made the game stale and dull to play. (I curse myself each time I use a way point for ease of movement as I have broken my immersion.) By making the choice to skip the world, essentially you make a game of tick box tasks jumping from thing to thing and it is almost mindless. >.> It is kind of a big testament to the state of our cultural conditioning. And whilst I do use the system for ease of movement, that ease creates an emptiness that isn’t fun or engaging. I know that Anet has wanted to stay far away from mounts, but I think with mounts incorporated with my proposed way point/res point system will make traversing the world of Tyria a more engaging and fun experience.
Breeding was already an addition to Guild Wars that I personally had a lot of fun with. However, it was for pets but pets could very awesome in Guild Wars. Maybe it could be implemented again and have players engage with them more and have your pet grow. (Thank you for reading. I hope this has given some food for thought.)

scizwig.5492

Possible mounts for races:

Human: horse (Even if it is in poor taste due to Centaur war), tamed griffon- no flying, humans too heavy xD (could be opportunity to make taming quests?) Moa? Or a tamed stag/Doe (or introduce elk?)

Norn: I don’t think it would correct lore wise for the Norn to have mounts, could it be possible they get the same treatment but with their spirit forms and instead of breeding, they have some form of spirit communion where they mix energies to boost the/change the look of the ‘mount form’ of the spirit form. And it would act as a spirit blessing and the money paid goes to the upkeep of the ‘shrine’- instead of ‘barn’.

Asura: Golems (breeding replaced by matrix and wire mixing- golem leasing station instead of ‘barn’ XD like a car rental.), Drake, large dogs/wolves, small horses, boars/pigs, bears/moas? (Asurans are more likely to fit a moa than a human. xD) plus each should have varied stats/skill specs making the choice important kitten far they have a lot of choice, or make it so they could only have golems? (D: but and asura being carried by a pig would be too awesome.)

Charr: Minotaur, Drake Brood mother or some of smart car tank or Segway- with its respective differences in ‘breeding’-‘barn’ xD

Sylvari: Same as humans- maybe introduce a fern horse.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Not again.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Figured this would show up again sooner or later.

Just because we have a map with few waypoints doesn’t mean that mounts are needed in any way shape or form. I am sure more waypoints will be added as the rest of the map is opened up, if not so be it. It doesn’t mean we need mounts.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

scizwig.5492

Not again.

haha yeah I guess, dose that mean I missed the train, had nothing new to say?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Even if mounts were something to implement (and opinion is so vehemently divided that it prob will never happen), the chaos from lag would be too much. People already suffer on full maps and even more so when pets are summoned. Mini pets even have to be hidden to keep performance. Adding mounts into the mix would just not be feasible from this perspective alone.

Whilst I commend the way you have put some thought process behind your idea, it is extremely unlikely mounts will ever happen in the game. I understand your feeling towards waypoints, but they work very well for the game.

scizwig.5492

Just because we have a map with few waypoints doesn’t mean that mounts are needed in any way shape or form. I am sure more waypoints will be added as the rest of the map is opened up, if not so be it. It doesn’t mean we need mounts.

But I’m curious mount nonsense aside what did you think of the res points?
I just thought it could be fun to explore the idea of justifying mounts- personally I’m not fussed either way about them.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Not again.

All that has been said has been X a lot

scizwig.5492

Even if mounts were something to implement (and opinion is so vehemently divided that it prob will never happen), the chaos from lag would be too much. People already suffer on full maps and even more so when pets are summoned. Mini pets even have to be hidden to keep performance. Adding mounts into the mix would just not be feasible from this perspective alone.

Whilst I commend the way you have put some thought process behind your idea, it is extremely unlikely mounts will ever happen in the game. I understand your feeling towards waypoints, but they work very well for the game.

I hadn’t even considered the lag xD it would be monstrous. >.>

scizwig.5492

Not again.

All that has been said has been X a lot

Well, fair enough.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I just thought it could be fun to explore the idea of justifying mounts- personally I’m not fussed either way about them.

People have been trying to justify mounts in this game in every possible way for a long time. Some have even went to the extent of suggesting waypoints be removed so that they can have a reason to explain why mounts would be useful.

As for res points, I don’t think that the new map really needs them, its not that big yet. Also with the WvW ish pushing into enemy territory theme it kinda fits. Would I be upset if they added a waypoint to each of the forts when we reach a certain level? No, that would be fine, just like when we upgrade a keep in wvw. It would be a reward for defending and holding them.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

(edited by Talyn.3295)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

kitten, they’ve stopped whipping the poor dead horse and have taken to all out blasting it with rifles.

Let the poor creature be!

/no mounts

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

scizwig.5492

People have been trying to justify mounts in this game in every possible way for a long time. Some have even went to the extent of suggesting waypoints be removed so that they can have a reason to explain why mounts would be useful.

As for res points, I don’t think that the new map really needs them, its not that big yet. Also with the WvW ish pushing into enemy territory theme it kinda fits. Would I be upset if they added a waypoint to each of the forts when we reach a certain level? No, that would be fine, just like when we upgrade a keep in wvw. It would be a reward for defending and holding them.

I do agree about the new map, I think it is great that anet have been focusing more on how the dynamic content shapes a map.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

• There already are Magic Carpet, Riding Boom and Sonic Tunneling Tool for your cosmetic needs to not travel on foot.
  • While out of combat, Swiftness already reaches the speed cap.
  • Considering the size of maps in Guild Wars 2, dying far from waypoints would be extremely punishing, and current map leveling curves do not match your idea.
  • Waypoints cost currency. You are not forced to used them.
  • You must discover waypoints before you can use them. This ensures that a character has run across all of Tyria before they can skip straight to where they’ve already been.
  • Using mounts to reduce the amount of time spent traveling after removing a system that does exactly that is counter-intuitive at best.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

The issues that I have are not generally related to extended play in the zones…as I tend to “work my way around” (largely because I am cheap). My issue…and it is a huge one for me…is that in my play I very frequently tend to go to a particular place in the world for a very particular purpose and do not want to spend vast amounts of time getting there. Example…I like to go buy eggplant down in Mount Maelstrom. I go down there when I need it…and don’t want to traverse the entire zone to get it. I go in…get what I want…get out. Another example…I like to go farm artichokes in Straits of Devastation and Mount Maelstrom. Again…I want to get in…get what I want…and get out.

Occasionally, a guild member will want help with something out in the world. I enjoy going out to help them but really do not want a lot of travel time involved. I travel to a WP close to where I need to be…help the player…and WP out. Within the zones, I will often respond to a request for help from random players trying to do a particular skill point or something of that nature. If I can WP in close to them…help them out…and then go about my business, that is great. Otherwise, I am not likely to spend ten minutes traveling through a zone to help someone for 15 seconds or so.

These are my concerns. I don’t care much about mounts one way or the other…but I like having the ability to travel to where I want to be. Just as an aside…since the waypoints have been here since the beginning of GW2 (I did not spend much time in GW1), they are “part of the game” for me and using them does not break my “immersion”…at least as I understand it.

Not to say your points are wrong…I just look at it a bit differently.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

ahah oh man, glad i skimmed.. hopped past the bulk paragraph ending to post 1,
saw Mounts.. tearful laughter >_>

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

CMM.6712

This isn’t that one game or that other game. Hopefully we can keep his one as different and unique as possible.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I say whenever you down a Charr in PVP/WVW, you have the option to force it to be your mount.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

I’m genuinely curious. Why are some players horrified by the idea of adding mounts to the game? (other than the lag)

Is there another reason? I don’t particularly have feeling about it in either direction. It would add something else to buy from the gem shop. That’s all I can think of.

Is there some reason mounts are just a “No”?

CMM.6712

I’m genuinely curious. Why are some players horrified by the idea of adding mounts to the game? (other than the lag)

Is there another reason? I don’t particularly have feeling about it in either direction. It would add something else to buy from the gem shop. That’s all I can think of.

People come into this game, and try and turn it into that game, we don’t want it to be that game.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

• It always comes with the suggestion of removing waypoints, which would severely harm gameplay.
  • If mounts could travel faster than players on foot with swiftness, it would make the world feel much smaller in general.
  • Mounts would provide an unfair advantage to certain players in PvP.
  • Mounts display excessively large models for relatively small hitboxes, which can prove to be extremely annoying in groups.
  • Mounts are absolutely pointless. We already have far better.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

From my understanding, mounts were purposely avoided because developers wanted players to experience the wide open world. Not rush from one point to another.

(this is what I heard through the grapevine. Don’t smite me)

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

“This one time, I had a bacon cheeseburger…so that’s why I think super-awesome-pro-special-snowflake-buffed-combat-mounts should be implemented in GW2! Also, because immersion and roleplay and reasons…”

Obvious dishonest, crap thread is obvious :/

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

• It always comes with the suggestion of removing waypoints, which would severely harm gameplay.
  • If mounts could travel faster than players on foot with swiftness, it would make the world feel much smaller in general.
  • Mounts would provide an unfair advantage to certain players in PvP.
  • Mounts display excessively large models for relatively small hitboxes, which can prove to be extremely annoying in groups.
  • Mounts are absolutely pointless. We already have far better.

Thanks for the clear list.

Has anyone ever considered mounts only be used in PvE? They wouldn’t really be fair to be part of PvP, I agree with you there.

It seems like it is mostly a speed thing, since the magic carpet and broom are already mounts in essence.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Thanks for the clear list.

Has anyone ever considered mounts only be used in PvE? They wouldn’t really be fair to be part of PvP, I agree with you there.

It seems like it is mostly a speed thing, since the magic carpet and broom are already mounts in essence.

Its really not needed though, the maps arent that big as is, and even a small speed boost can make them tiny

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

It’s kinda of topic but I wanna salute Scizwig.5492 for putting energy to his/her sugestion and also be so understanding to the comments recieved.

On to topic a little bit.
I realry like this game alot and I would feel like a piece of my heart would be ripped away if they introduced Mounts… I so much don’t want this game to be another “ordenary” MMO. I also do not like pocket mounts, even in lotro where they made it look like you where calling on your horse it still magically apeared by my side.

I have said it in an old Mount topic but as far as mounts come I would not mind if they introduces mount like they have in GW1 where they are usable on that zone only and they have their own skills and uses like; a siege devourer, Char made tank, low flying helecopter (The ones who looks like a helmet), Siege Golems and more. But as I said only made for that zone and most of them are not faster than moving by foot.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Here’s a compromise.

You get mounts, but they provide no speed boost, just like the magic carpet.