lvl 55 and Still Noob

lvl 55 and Still Noob

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardawg.7039

Ardawg.7039

I have been playing GW2 very spottily since release. I have only gotten to level 55 so far, but I still feel like I don’t know much more about the game than I did when I first started. What is the best way to learn more about the game (best places equips and how to get them, what dungeons to play, etc.) without having to spend hours reading online?

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Play the game more.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

The best way to learn about an MMO is by playing it and asking questions in game.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Hit level 80, use the LFG feature.
Fake it till you make it.
Follow what others do, ask in LA which armour choices to go for.
Experiment.
Don’t tell people you’re new, especially in pug dungeon groups.
Find a guild.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Find a helpful guild and play with other people. It’s okay to let them know you’re a newb, some people get real enjoyment out of showing others the ropes.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

If you need class help, you could always turn to ur profession forums to see whats the meta build, thats only once u reach lv80 though. For lvling just have fun and use ur leet skillz to survive. of course if your like me u will have 1000+ deaths under ur belt before reaching lv80 either way, so just do whatever. There is also a stickied post in the players helping players forum (think its called ‘tips for new players’) that should answer most if not all ur ?s. though tbh ive never read that even while i was lvling, just a tl;dr issue for me sadly.

Though best way is probably just to learn by trying out stuff for urself. For instance—which r the dungeons to run? theres no easy answer bcoz its all dependent on u. I myself, only run the dungeons I like. I don’t run HotW or CM much because they bore me to death. I didn’t used to run SE much either but my guild got me into it, it is actually pretty fast though its probably the most boring dungeon that I currently run to date. So have fun do the things u enjoy, look up something on the wiki if you have a ? or want to learn abt it (link below).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Find a helpful guild and play with other people. It’s okay to let them know you’re a newb, some people get real enjoyment out of showing others the ropes.

This.

I encourage you to tell people you are new and ask if you need help with anything. There are some great players(and guilds), happy to show you the ropes. They won’t get annoyed if you die alot, or have a bad build or want to take your time in a dungeon etc etc.

I just post in main “how to get to xyz”, or "want someone to explore map “b” with me.
I’m now part of a guild that will do this, but people on the map will join you. So tell and ask.

(edited by Taygus.4571)

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I’m 80 and I’m still a noob. I’ve never done a group dungeon/fractal, sPvP, farmed for a legendary/ascended item nor have I ever joined a guild or even so much as joined a party/group for anything. And I have been playing fairly steady for over a year.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Taygus.4571

I’m 80 and I’m still a noob. I’ve never done a group dungeon/fractal, sPvP, farmed for a legendary/ascended item nor have I ever joined a guild or even so much as joined a party/group for anything. And I have been playing fairly steady for over a year.

" I’ve never done ….."
Can I ask why?

because you’re not a noob for not doing something you have no interest in. (yeah you might not know anything about it, but if you don’t want to know, it doesn’t really matter..)

However, if you do want to, why haven’t you?

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Elbegast.6970

" I’ve never done ….."
Can I ask why?

because you’re not a noob for not doing something you have no interest in. (yeah you might not know anything about it, but if you don’t want to know, it doesn’t really matter..)

I don’t like having to beg others to carry me through content. If I can’t do it alone, then I just won’t do it.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Taygus.4571

I don’t like having to beg others to carry me through content. If I can’t do it alone, then I just won’t do it.

But you don’t have to beg.
It is an mmo, not a solo game.

Going on to main map, and saying, ~want to x dungeon, first time in it~ Is not begging, you’ll often get a couple of other who, it’s also first time for. And maybe one or two, that like the idea of running through it with noobs, who will often take it easy and take their time or what not.

I think by not involving other players….you’re missing the point of an mmo.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Elbegast.6970

Going on to main map, and saying, ~want to x dungeon, first time in it~ Is not begging, you’ll often get a couple of other who, it’s also first time for. And maybe one or two, that like the idea of running through it with noobs, who will often take it easy and take their time or what not.

If I have to engage other players to help me do content that I’m too weak to complete, that is, essentially, begging for a handout. It doesn’t matter how neutral the request is worded, it’s still begging. I would rather endlessly fail or not even participate in the content than to kiss the boots of four other players. I like seeing other players in the game world. I just don’t like grouping with them.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

If I have to engage other players to help me do content that I’m too weak to complete, that is, essentially, begging for a handout. It doesn’t matter how neutral the request is worded, it’s still begging. I would rather endlessly fail or not even participate in the content than to kiss the boots of four other players. I like seeing other players in the game world. I just don’t like grouping with them.

I am cheering for you Elbegast keep moving forward.

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats a really depressing mindset. :/

You can learn about the group content via videos and then you should be more experienced than the average player. So you will be carrying them. :P

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Experiment.
Find a guild.

What this guy said. Literally all of it except ‘find a guild’ is trash.

Don’t fake it till you make it. Learn it. Then you won’t be a trash player.

Don’t blindly follow what others do. If you’re still new, you may end up following a trash player’s advice.

DO tell people you’re new in dungeons. Otherwise, you can be like countless bads in dungeons who are clueless, don’t speak up, and don’t respond when addressed. Players will help you if you are honest and willing to learn/not argue. If you try to ‘fake it till you make it’ you will be booted fast and you will never learn.

A guild is a good place to find people to practice with.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Vayne.8563

" I’ve never done ….."
Can I ask why?

I don’t carry peiople through content and content isn’t designed to solo. But you can have someone show you the ropes and then learn to get better and hold your own so you can then help others.

Do you think the first time I walked into Arah I soloed Lupi? lol

People were good enough to show me the ropes…now I show other people the ropes.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Then quit the game. This is a team or guild based game, very little of the game is by yourself. You need to quit your ego and join a group.

Feel free to PM me and I’ll walk you through some of the common group content and why people find it fun. Otherwise,you may be in the wrong game.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Elbegast.6970

Then quit the game. This is a team or guild based game, very little of the game is by yourself. You need to quit your ego and join a group.

Feel free to PM me and I’ll walk you through some of the common group content and why people find it fun. Otherwise,you may be in the wrong game.

Forgive me but I don’t believe I will take you up on that offer, based on your first paragraph.

GW2 marketed itself as a game casual players could enjoy. A game where you didn’t have to form a party to complete content. You could just jump right in to an event and get rewarded at the end. Somewhere along the line they began steering away from that model and now this game may as well be WoW. It feels the same to me.

@Vayne:
I’ve never set foot in Arah, despite my PS log screaming at me to kill Zhaitan. So I haven’t a clue who ‘Lupi’ is.

(edited by Elbegast.6970)

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

" I’ve never done ….."
Can I ask why?

At first your post set off “Then why the heck are you playing an MMORPG to play alone?” Then I remembered I used to be the same way. I would keep to myself, PUG for dungeons every so often and solo for the most part.

Then I met a group of people that kind of made me want play with others a little more. We don’t play together as much anymore (a lot of them are on and off with the game, as am I) but it made me realize that there is nothing wrong with grouping up for a shared experience. It gets things done so much faster.

I still solo things when I want to but I’m not above gathering some people and face rolling that champion who punched me in the face.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Best if you get into a friendly guild with people who are willing to answer your many questions.

NSPride <3

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Vayne.8563

Forgive me but I don’t believe I will take you up on that offer, based on your first paragraph.

GW2 marketed itself as a game casual players could enjoy. A game where you didn’t have to form a party to complete content. You could just jump right in to an event and get rewarded at the end. Somewhere along the line they began steering away from that model and now this game may as well be WoW. It feels the same to me.

@Vayne:
I’ve never set foot in Arah, despite my PS log screaming at me to kill Zhaitan. So I haven’t a clue who ‘Lupi’ is.

Lupi is considering one of the harder bosses in the game. Without understanding who Lupi is, you should have gotten the point of what I’m trying to say.

There are hard things that casuals can do, and there are hard things that casuals can’t do alone. That doesn’t mean they can’t be done. The Guild Wars 2 FAQ, which was up on the website for ages before launch, had the question “Will I be able to Solo”?

The answer was that you’d be able to hit max level without ever grouping, however, we believe that there are challenges the community needs to come together to face.

In the Guild Wars 2 wiki, here’s the new answer to the same question.

Will I be able to solo?

Yes, at least, much of the time. You can participate in your personal storyline, crafting, and dynamic events without anyone else around, if you choose. A notable exception to this, however, is the final story quest “Victory or Death” which involves successfully going through the Arah Dungeon in the Cursed Shore. As with all dungeons, a full party of five players is recommended. Any dynamic event listed as a Group Event will also be difficult or impossible to complete alone.

You can have a casual game without every single solitary piece of content being soloable. This is indeed a casual friendly game.

And you know, some casuals want to group anyway. Casual isn’t synonymous with solo anyway.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Except for dungeons, which require you to ‘party up’, I think most of this game’s content does not require you to ‘group up’, at least not formally. It is easy to ‘solo’, even when there are many players around. I’m not sure that when someone states they are playing ‘alone’, that they mean they keep 1000 yards between their character and all other characters. I rarely ‘party up’ with others, and I do most of the content in-game. It isn’t an ‘ego’ thing, just a preference. Chastising or disparaging people for their gameplay choices probably isn’t the best way to entice others to join the community. At least, from my perspective. =)

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Experiment.
Find a guild.

because you can’t tell is someone is new or not based on achievement points right?

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Why are you still 55?
Is it, because you are also levelling many characters at the same time?
Did the same way back and was pretty much clueless and aimless for months.
Once you got your first 80, the pace will pick up. You will suddenly have goals, you want to achieve: Full exotics, a second set of exotics, ascended stuff, perhaps a legendary.
For the first level 80 char, these things are really big and seem far off, once you got your char to 80 and rolling, equipping additional characters with exotics can be done with mere pocket change.
My suggestion is: Find the character, you like the most and no matter whether you still like him after a week, just clench your teeth and grind till he is 80. Grinding to 80 can be done the fastest by crafting, followed by wvw karmatrain on fridays, followed by a playthrough of the personal story, which I recommend for someone who doesn’t have any 80s.
Having a level 80 character brings various benefits. Mainly gold, gold and gold.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Playing a game is certainly the best way to get the motor activity under your fingers. But, I find that reading and watching what the best players are thinking and doing gives the insights necessary to bring your play to the next level. It’s like having a coach for a sport, someone who knows good approaches to basic problems and the like. You can simply google on professions both on the the internet, and youtube more specifically. So much there, but wading through it will be a great exercise. Also, sites like noxxic.com will have some basic info on the professions.

lvl 55 and Still Noob

Taygus.4571

It’s a multi-player game! The point of the game is to team up with others.
If you want a solo game, play a sole game.
Guild wars isn’t that, and to miss out on a large part of game, because you’re comparing it to “needing a handout”, is….well it’s sad really.

“Than to kiss the boots of four other players”
And, you don’t have to do this at all. I team up with people I like to chat to, and we just run through together, there’s no kissing up. Or having to change builds because it’s not the most suitable to the team/with the fastest outcome etc.
It’s just picking a group to fight WITH you. This whole game is surrounded on that idea.