map reserved PLEASE

map reserved PLEASE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lucius.7804

lucius.7804

Anet, please…

The amount of times I have spent an hour in DS or other meta events, only to disconnect or crash at the end of fighting the mouth of mordremoth and not be allowed back in, missing out on rewards, and achievements.

Surely, it cannot be that hard to implement a list of players who are in that instance and if a player disconnects, give them a reserved spot for a minute, just a minute, until they can relog and get back in. If that minute passes, fine, they’re probably not coming back.

However, I disconnect, relog instantly, then proceed to spend 10 minutes spamming “join in Dragon Stand” in the hope I can get the loot I worked for, with the other 20 people who are trying to get back in. Surely that just puts more stress on the server from people spamming “join” than a list would.

I would pay money for this feature, please

Vabbi – ele – [UKUS] – Rowyna Flame

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Say you have been trying to get into a DS meta with your friends. From the luck of the draw, they spawned into an organized map; you did not. You patiently right-click-to-join for 30 minutes and finally… you can’t get in, because the game is reserving the map for someone who rage quit…and by the time you right-click again, someone else got in.

Add to that the fact that it probably requires a huge addition to the infrastructure of PvE maps to add ‘reserved spots’.

It’s trickier than it sounds.

I’m sure ANet is working on this (as well as setting up some sort of queuing system, so you only have to right-click once, like we do for WvW). I doubt, however, that we’ll see it outside of a feature update the size of an expansion.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

map reserved PLEASE

lucius.7804

30 minutes seems to validate you didn’t read my comment thoroughly, I said it would store absent players for a minute before opening the slot

map reserved PLEASE

lucius.7804

As far as I see it, WvW works with queues because it’s a none dynamic map, the instance is fixed for everyone, PvE has dynamic maps which change player size and delete themselves to create new instances, saving on server usage.

In terms of joining a PvE map, it would have to say “is the map full? No? Let them in” or “Is the map full? Yes, Are they on the reserved list? Yes? Ok let them in” the reserved list would contribute to filling the map but players would be removed from that list after a minute of not being present, so as not to bloat the servers still. I don’t see how that is of detriment to the servers while also being great quality of life to players

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

As far as I see it, WvW works with queues because it’s a none dynamic map, the instance is fixed for everyone, PvE has dynamic maps which change player size and delete themselves to create new instances, saving on server usage.

In terms of joining a PvE map, it would have to say “is the map full? No? Let them in” or “Is the map full? Yes, Are they on the reserved list? Yes? Ok let them in” the reserved list would contribute to filling the map but players would be removed from that list after a minute of not being present, so as not to bloat the servers still. I don’t see how that is of detriment to the servers while also being great quality of life to players

It’s worth noting that the PvP maps/servers already have something like this reservation system. You can log out to change characters and it automatically ports you to the right map/server when you log back in. I think they already have a lot of the infrastructure needed, it just isn’t a priority for them. As you say all they need to do is reserve a slot for a minute or two and to take it one step further, they only need to reserve a slot for a minute or two when the client doesn’t shut down normally, as in, if the client crashes or loses connection, hold a slot for a minute or two to see if they come back.

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

I understand the frustration. Fighting Tequatl, disconnect, back in empty map. Still not too sure about reserving a slot. Means others could miss out on an event and the event could fail because players can’t get in because slots are reserved for people who might come back. A player disconnects, could just be a random cut off and they just need to log back in. Or it could be something bigger, a few weeks back a digger doing some road maintenance nerby managed to cut through an underground phone line. Any events I might have been taking part in then would have probably been long over by the time I was online next. Somebody would be held out because a slot i reserved for me when I couldn’t do anything until the phone line was repaired.
Or it could be that they chose to leave, in the map for another reason and finished. No point in reserving a slot for them when even if they log back in they aren’t part of the big event going on and won’t care about which instance they are in.

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

This is a feature that was in the game when it was released. Another feature was the waiting lists to join a map, so you didn’t have to spend all your time clicking join [player] in [map].

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Say you have been trying to get into a DS meta with your friends. From the luck of the draw, they spawned into an organized map; you did not. You patiently right-click-to-join for 30 minutes and finally… you can’t get in, because the game is reserving the map for someone who rage quit…and by the time you right-click again, someone else got in.

There’s absolutely no difference between someone getting in the free slot before you right away, or a minute later.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

This is a feature that was in the game when it was released. Another feature was the waiting lists to join a map, so you didn’t have to spend all your time clicking join [player] in [map].

Eh, it wasn’t a real space-holder or queue system at all. If you disconnected during a fight, you weren’t guaranteed to get back in. If you were in a group, you had a slightly better shot at it, but if you were at a highly populated event, you’d most likely end up in the “Right click, Join in map, and Pray” boat. Revamped Tequatl, for example, was an AWFUL pain to get and keep a slot in the “main” instance of the map; if you disconnected after the fight started, you’d have a very, very difficult time getting back in. You could wait for the pop up letting you know you could join the instance, but sometimes it wouldn’t even work properly. And, in many cases, you wouldn’t get the pop up to join the “main” instance of the map until the event you were trying to do was finished.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Wha? I don’t remember those things at all. Are you sure you aren’t thinking of WvW? You can queue to join WvW if it’s full. It will bring up a window that asks if you’d like to queue to enter a map and you’ll be prompted again when a slot frees up.

I don’t know of any reserved slot or queue system for PvE maps. I’m pretty confident that’s never been a thing but I’d love to see evidence proving me wrong.

map reserved PLEASE

lucius.7804

I understand the frustration. Fighting Tequatl, disconnect, back in empty map. Still not too sure about reserving a slot. Means others could miss out on an event and the event could fail because players can’t get in because slots are reserved for people who might come back. A player disconnects, could just be a random cut off and they just need to log back in. Or it could be something bigger, a few weeks back a digger doing some road maintenance nerby managed to cut through an underground phone line. Any events I might have been taking part in then would have probably been long over by the time I was online next. Somebody would be held out because a slot i reserved for me when I couldn’t do anything until the phone line was repaired.
Or it could be that they chose to leave, in the map for another reason and finished. No point in reserving a slot for them when even if they log back in they aren’t part of the big event going on and won’t care about which instance they are in.

I’m sorry but Dragon stand? The map that locks you out of loot at the end and lasts an hour and a half? 1 minute waiting will hardly lock an alternate player out if the other player leaves.

As for “a player quitting locking people out” argument it would literally have to be 1 line of code on a map swap or a log out that says “remove them from the list”. However if they never trigger those and still leave, Then they have a 1 minute window

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

I’mma say I have to agree with you here I’m always praying that the commanders kick the ppl salivating to take our places because I dc a lot and I want to get back into the map when I dc not have some scrub who didn’t participate in the events like I did take my place. I wish the commanders would close lfg after the map is full and kick anyone not in map that would solve some of the problem. It wouldn’t solve people taxiing in private parties but I’m guessing there would be less ppl pressing spam to join on some poor schmuck’s dc. And tbh the map doesn’t need to be full to succeed almost full maps do just fine and partially full maps do just as good as well, so the argument that we have to fill that last spot is null and void. That last person’s dps is like throwing a hotdog down the hallway in the scheme of things in the meta event. It’s just selfish to deprive someone who dc’d of their rightful spot in a map.

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

I’m sorry but Dragon stand? The map that locks you out of loot at the end and lasts an hour and a half? 1 minute waiting will hardly lock an alternate player out if the other player leaves.

As for “a player quitting locking people out” argument it would literally have to be 1 line of code on a map swap or a log out that says “remove them from the list”. However if they never trigger those and still leave, Then they have a 1 minute window

So only in Dragon Stand? I see the benefits to having reserved places for 1 min, even mentioned how it could have helped me in Sparkfly Fen as well. But then it could be a quick disconnect, they could be off for a while. In my case when the digger went through an underground phone line it was the next day.

(edited by Sinmir.6504)

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

A 1-minute offset wouldn’t have any effect on people trying to get into the map, considering how random people leaving is anyway.

It’s not like there’s any way for people out of the map to know the exact moment someone logs out, and the map temporarily being a few players short of max capacity while each one’s reservation to clear won’t make a difference on the map’s performance

map reserved PLEASE

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t know of any reserved slot or queue system for PvE maps.

That was before multiserver. There indeed was a queue on joining the main map from overflow. It got irrelevant pretty quickly, as soon as people realized that “join in” command could override queue placement.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

map reserved PLEASE

lucius.7804

A 1-minute offset wouldn’t have any effect on people trying to get into the map, considering how random people leaving is anyway.

It’s not like there’s any way for people out of the map to know the exact moment someone logs out, and the map temporarily being a few players short of max capacity while each one’s reservation to clear won’t make a difference on the map’s performance

It would impact the players that dc for literally a second after an hour of hard work in DS only to not be allowed back in due to someone else spamming “join in”