masteries are pure content streching

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

so now i ground the first exalted mastery and did the meta event. after that i would find out that i need to grind to lvl 2 to actually be able to buy keys in order to get any reward for all my work.
that’s it for me. i’m not gonna continue with this insanity any longer.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

As someone who was still on the fence about getting the expansion and after hearing what it’s really all about, i guess i could only come to this conclusion:

50 dollars for eternal grinding? … I’d be happier with the dollars.

I wish I had sat on the fence instead of pre-ordering it. I have total buyers remorse now.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

man, and here I was telling my friends, it going to be easy to earn these things on my alts, and it suck a little. Once you unlock mastery, most of the HP i had to fight my way to, will be so much simpler, lol. alt collecting, bam, easy.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

“No grind” never meant you would never have to do anything to access content. It just meant there would be no gear grind (ie vertical progression), it didnt mean there would never be horizontal progression (ie what we have now). I mean yea, if you want to call it “content stretching” instead of horizontal progression, you arent wrong, but thats how the game was always intended to be.

Sorry you misinterpreted it and wasted your 50 bucks, but have fun in your next game.

No it’s the illusion of horizontal progression. Fundamentally vertical progression is grind this otherwise you cannot beat player x or champion mob x regardless of what you do. Horizontal progression is grind this is you want more ways to defeat player x or champion mob x but if you don’t grind anything it’s still possible even if it’s slightly harder. I can’t continue the living story episodes with sheer willpower and skill or taking a longer route through the jungle to reach the destination of the next episode, I must sit and grind and it must be in the new maps only.

To make things worse they have taken away the options to ‘level up’. In the base game when levelling to 80 you can grind mobs, or you can explore, craft, gather, do events, do wvw, do PvP all these things and you can technically be in any map you want. It might be harder to stay alive in a high level map but you’re not restricted from being there. If I want to play the story I must sit in the maps and do events, at this point I would try to just explore every inch of the map to get away from the grind but in these maps it’s not exploration it’s much closer to finding how to solve a jumping puzzle which I hate, while also reaching multiple dead ends due to masteries. Also there’s a glaring issue with the map having a lot of verticality while having a 2D minimap.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Zetsumei.4975)

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

So is leveling.

that is indeed true. i have skipped that part with tomes on every character except my first one.
however, i would argue that leveling is such a traditional and engraved mechanic in rpg games that you just can’t make one without.

Leveling systems in RPGs is relatively new, didn’t become the mainstay until after the WoW/EQ era. Prior to that it was mostly a skill system, which is more RPGish, leveling is just easier to design and creates a more linear gameplay.

I am sorry, what?
Leveling in RPGs is new?
What you been smoking!?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This mastery system is a pure kittenblock. Ive grinded for over 5h now and only unlocked the 2. Tier of gliding. I dont even have the mushroom jumping masteries now. Aside from the pretty map this AddOn has been pure disapointment until now.

I don’t see how you can grind for five hours and be that far behind, unless you’re not keeping up buffs maybe. By the end of the first 8 hours of play I had updraft use, bouncing mushrooms and some of the later stuff mastered. I barely touched the HoT content today, as I was in the Labyrinth with the guild and I’ve already used 8 mastery points.

You must be playing extremely inefficiently.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Let me tell you a story…

I was frantically searching for hero points in the first map in order to unlock the elite spec on my necro. After wiping at several of them, I finally found an unguarded one by gliding down toward the bottom of the map.

I was so happy when I discovered it, the feeling of exploring and being rewarded for it was almost overwhelming. Then I found out I couldn’t click on it and the npc kept saying I wasn’t worthy. Locked behind some mastery I assume. Instantly turned the game off.

When all you had to do was ask in map chat and people would have joined on you and done the point. You need to l2p this game.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

actually you need to l2p yourself, vayne. or at least check your facts. at the hero point things in the new maps that are locked by poison (froggy mastery lvl 4 i think) nobody can help you. you either have the mastery and can enter the poison or you don’t and can’t.

Posted by: Asa.3602

Asa.3602

Pretty much what i want to say is covered by everyone else above me. I bought gw2 and enjoyed it for this long because i knew it was a casual game. What i enjoyed about gw2 is how you gain exp from doing anything you want, and each level the same amount of exp is required to get to the next level. Thus making it so gw2 is a linear progression. But with mastery system linear progression has been kittened. 1st mastery you need 550k exp, 2nd you need 1mil, i don’t know how much the third requires but I’m sure its a very terrifying amount for players who should have hit end content and thus don’t need to grind. The WHOLE point of getting to lv80 is to enjoy the end content casually, not to grind some more.

Posted by: keth.1836

keth.1836

Grind is the whole point, the heart of MMO’s. Never understood why people moan about that.

However, seeing that this is the “fastest to cap” MMO I have ever played (by a long way), I can see why it comes as a shock.

Posted by: Ilien.5302

Ilien.5302

To be honest, I don’t think the masteries are such a bad OMGAH GRIND SUX. I’m having fun doing all the events, seeing the maps (Verdant Brink and Auric atm) and playing the first missions with all my characters.

Just by doing stuff, like in the Old World, I’m at level 6 Mastery. No biggie. I’m not running around specifically getting mastery exp, it feels just like levelling.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Let me tell you a story…

I was frantically searching for hero points in the first map in order to unlock the elite spec on my necro. After wiping at several of them, I finally found an unguarded one by gliding down toward the bottom of the map.

I was so happy when I discovered it, the feeling of exploring and being rewarded for it was almost overwhelming. Then I found out I couldn’t click on it and the npc kept saying I wasn’t worthy. Locked behind some mastery I assume. Instantly turned the game off.

When all you had to do was ask in map chat and people would have joined on you and done the point. You need to l2p this game.

People are so spread across so many map instances that finding enough people to do some of the hero challenges can take 30-60 minutes easily, and that’s ignoring the possibility of them missing the jumps needed to reach some.

That nuhoc point they were talking about is just silly. You can go to the place of power with just basic gliding, but you can’t commune with it unless you have a mastery that doesn’t unlock until the third map. There’s not even some sort of terrain like the poison cloud ones.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

So is leveling.

that is indeed true. i have skipped that part with tomes on every character except my first one.
however, i would argue that leveling is such a traditional and engraved mechanic in rpg games that you just can’t make one without.

Leveling systems in RPGs is relatively new, didn’t become the mainstay until after the WoW/EQ era. Prior to that it was mostly a skill system, which is more RPGish, leveling is just easier to design and creates a more linear gameplay.

I am sorry, what?
Leveling in RPGs is new?
What you been smoking!?

Key word is relatively. Modern RPGs do predefined levels and stat gains based on said levels. Prior to that, as stated, it was a skill system, your “level” was based on what you had skill points in and how high. Even games that did have levels, it was still primarily based off of the amount of skills/stats, using levels just made it easier to compare.

My smoking habits are irrelevant, maybe its just cause I feel old, or should have clarified to MMORPGs.

Posted by: Avlaen.7241

Avlaen.7241

Would have probably finish mapping Verdant Brink in an hour if it wasn’t for mastery XD.
Sugar coat all you want Anet “we don’t believe in attunement”, it’s very grindy lol. Same kinda of crap.

I would rather have attunements than grinds…. atleast an attunement i only have to do once and its usually Some sort of content in and of itself not the same old.

DEFEND THIS POINT FROM THE UNDEAD I MEAN MORDREMOTH!

masteries are such bull kitten. i would probably be enjoying the new zones if they didnt exist instead im not even playing due to how infuriating it is.

I spent 30 mins getting to a hero point on a map, only to be told LOL kitten you you dont have the right mastery.

Such great rewards for exploring! being told i have to Grind to be able to claim the reward that i spent getting to…..

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Totally agree. I finally made it to my fifth hero point last night only to insta die as I landed beside it. It seems I need to master something else just so I can cap a hero point. Straight away that screams of content locking to slow down progression due to a serious lack of content.

I remember the GW1 expansions where we bought a whole new game. The world’s were of comparable size and they had their own story with two new professions. We could create a new char and level it within the expansion. Even EotN had its own story and was packed full of stuff to do.

We were sold an expansion but have bought less than a handful of new maps which are seriously frustrating to travel through. We have one new profession which cannot even be levelled in the new maps and I don’t know why we had to wait almost a year for this nonsense. It actually feels like Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes combined are bigger and they were just part of the fortnightly updates.

Seriously underwhelmed right now. The whole thing feels like a huge kittening jumping puzzle locked behind grind.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

Personally don’t have a problem with the way masteries are implemented, there is nothing there that I really need to have now apart from the 1st level of gliding and mushroom bouncing, any further levels I’m more than happy just playing the game and letting them bars fill up as a side effect of something that I would be doing anyway. I think if you look at it that way instead of being something that you have to get it in the shortest amount of time possible you avoid a lot of frustration for yourself.

The thing that I would personally change is the amount of hero points required to unlock elite specs, as someone with a toon of every prof I can see that becoming a tad frustrating considering that I don’t really have more than 50 points spare on average on each one of them. I have thought of organizing hero point collection parties on the new maps to see if that will speed up the process, which if it works will finally give me a reason to actually group up with people in GW2, which is a welcome change as most of them aren’t soloable.
All things considered I’m actually quite happy with the expansion now that I finally got my head around the new maps.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

Mhmm…. Going back to central Tyria, a place I’ve farmed and finished a million times, because now I have to farm and finish a bunch of new crap thrown into it.

Spending 3 hours in CoF path 1 killing infinitely respawning mobs is so much fun. Or am I meant to go back to the Silverwastes and farm that for another 200 hours?

(edited by Atharian.7092)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Totally agree. I finally made it to my fifth hero point last night only to insta die as I landed beside it. It seems I need to master something else just so I can cap a hero point. Straight away that screams of content locking to slow down progression due to a serious lack of content.

I remember the GW1 expansions where we bought a whole new game. The world’s were of comparable size and they had their own story with two new professions. We could create a new char and level it within the expansion. Even EotN had its own story and was packed full of stuff to do.

We were sold an expansion but have bought less than a handful of new maps which are seriously frustrating to travel through. We have one new profession which cannot even be levelled in the new maps and I don’t know why we had to wait almost a year for this nonsense. It actually feels like Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes combined are bigger and they were just part of the fortnightly updates.

Seriously underwhelmed right now. The whole thing feels like a huge kittening jumping puzzle locked behind grind.

While I am somewhat enjoying the expansion, this is a cold, hard dose of truth right here.

Anet has been managing and developing this game exceptionally poorly since it launched.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I disagree with the OP. I’ve been playing the same maps for over 2 years now, and i’m always finding things to, and stuff to see. Adding map rewards to the mix, just escalates this to a whole new level, and i am just completely and utterly EXCITED to log on now and keep playing. GW2 feels GREAT right now!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

As someone who was still on the fence about getting the expansion and after hearing what it’s really all about, i guess i could only come to this conclusion:

50 dollars for eternal grinding? … I’d be happier with the dollars.

Yep, and it’s a more expensive outside of the US with additional CC charges and exchange rate. No way of getting it at a retail store(that I have found in Can.) I have learned never to pre-purchase and this thread and (many others) continue to reinforce that decision. The next Fallout game will be out in less than a month though.