member activity for guilds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: carey.3169

carey.3169

Our guild and many others have soo many inactive members, 500 strong yet getting max of 70 to 80 online, is anet working on a system like guild wars 1 that shows when a member last logged, its impossible with the current system to see how active your members are

Posted by: Feiniao.8742

Feiniao.8742

Yeah, would be good to have it. We have 500 ppl, but i dont remember seeing more than 100 online….. please let us see the last logon time so we can remove some deadwood

Posted by: Nadroj.7965

Nadroj.7965

I agree it would be a nice addition.

Posted by: Alyx.2105

Alyx.2105

Absolutely need a “LAST LOGGED IN” column so we can thin out those who no longer play, Spread the word!!!

Posted by: Zigunerweisen.3097

Zigunerweisen.3097

As guilds play a major role in the day-to-day life for gw2 player, the “last online” function would highly benefit guilds who have a full roster (regardless of their current max roster size) will be able to increase the efficiency of its roster, organize better group events within itself, promoting dungeon runs and benefit a greater amount of players. Having better guild management options will encourage current loyal players of gw2 to encourage more people to learn and come to enjoy the game.

Right now every ‘deadwood’ in a guild log is a potential new gamer waiting to fall in love with the game.

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

I would very much like to see this. Whilst we are a small guild, with all our members active over a 30 day period, it would still be helpful to have this feature.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Our guild and many others have soo many inactive members, 500 strong yet getting max of 70 to 80 online, is anet working on a system like guild wars 1 that shows when a member last logged, its impossible with the current system to see how active your members are

Not only this but about 75% of other things from GW1 should have been imported to GW2.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My guild does activity checks through the leaderboards – if you haven’t gotten at least 1 achievement point in the last month then you get kicked.

Of course that may not be practical with really big guilds, we only have about 100 members so it’s easier to keep track.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Fitz.4769

Fitz.4769

I vote YES, please put this function in! easier to manage guilds

Posted by: MeanCork.9145

MeanCork.9145

This is a much needed function. With the ability to have 500 members in a guild, we really need this level on control. Guild missions require a large number in attendance and we need to ensure that all members of the guild are active. It will help guild leaders manage their guilds easily without having to resort to ad hoc methods to determine player activity.

Posted by: Vito Schwam.8791

Vito Schwam.8791

While I agree that this is a much needed functionality…I must counter the argument that “A guild’s member list must be as efficient as possible!!!!!!”

First off, calm the kitten down, daaaaamn! This isn’t a military operation, it’s a freaking video game.

Second, in our guild, we see no reason to kick “inactives”, as you may call them, because we haven’t even reached the maximum amount of people. In fact, some of our most dedicated members now are people who went inactive several months ago and came back. Had we kicked them back then for “inactivity”, our guild would truly be deprived of some great people today.

Third…ma bredren! (My brethren), Why are we so anxious to commoditize our fellow human beings!? That “inactive name” on you guild list is a person who has their own story, troubles, concerns, quirks, contributions, worries, preferences, and so much more. I get it! They haven’t signed in. But…clearly, they’ve gotten a position in your guild in which you, at one point or another, regarded them with at least some respect, if not, dare I say, friendship or fondness, so why are you so quick to “kick” them if you don’t see them online after a while?

Do you stop being friends with people just because you haven’t talked to them in 30 days?

That being said, our guild does have a large amount of people who joined for 1 day, and never represented and some who never signed in again, and no one knows them, really. For these people, yes, this feature would be helpful, since…well…we’re obviously not the right place for them. THAT should be the only reason to “kick” someone based on “inactivity”, I think.

The Toad [TOAD] – www.thetoad.hit.to | Henge of Denravi | Cmd. Vitellio Romana

(edited by Vito Schwam.8791)

Posted by: Blazefireblitz.8754

Blazefireblitz.8754

People can always be re invited to the guild if they want, that does not mean that we shouldn’t have the tools to make sure guilds have active and contributing members.
Guild leaders need more tools in their disposal to control and monitor their guild as the current tools are lacking

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

If you log into the leaderboards you can see when a member of your guild last earned an achievement point (which is a pretty good indication of activity or contribution). Just float your mouse over the points listed in the achievement column.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/achievements/guild/

Number of players online at any given time may not be a good indicator of member activity. 70-80 online out of 500 might be pretty good if you consider the average number of hours someone plays per week or the time slot they play in. Say if everyone in your guild is in NA, so they might be playing anytime from 5am to 1am in 2-3 hour blocks a couple times a week. But check the leaderboards, that might help you see if anyone has gone permanently AFK.

Alyx.2105

Vito….

What the hell man? The first two thirds of your post goes towards acceptance and tolerance for people with real life issues and what not. Thats not what this thread is about at all. And then the last third of your post is you Agreeing with the thread topic? I mean, seriously WTF?
I dont think for a second the OP was looking for a way to axe valuable members or people who havent been on for 30 days. This would be a way to find those who joined the guild quite soon after starting GW2 and then decided they didnt like it and left, or those who have given the game up for good. Our member list stands at 500 pretty much, so we have no room to inv new active players who could contribute to the guild, cause their spot is being taken up by someone who doesnt even play anymore.

Take Bob Marleys advice yourself Vito and chill the hell out.

Posted by: Tainden.1640

Tainden.1640

While I agree that this is a much needed functionality…I must counter the argument that “A guild’s member list must be as efficient as possible!!!!!!”

For starters this has got nothing to do with being ‘efficient as possible.’ We regularly get people asking us to join the guild, its unfair for us to say ‘no, our guild is full’ when clearly we have many people who no longer play and havent done for months. Ok fair enough if they were a regular at one point, then we’re far less likely to boot them as we’ve probably upgraded the rank a notch for being a regular at one point. As for being militant, this is about offering people a chance in our guild when others are not there. And yes if someone was booted from the guild and they return to playing we would have them back.

Our guild has close to 1/2 of its members with less than 1000 achievement points, we’ve been at our guild cap for at least 3-4 months. doing the maths on that would mean than we have quite a few people that haven’t played for a long time and haven’t played much. And before any one tries shooting me down, i’m aware that not everyone’s inactive, but we need the tools to manage a guild, we simply dont have them at the moment

Posted by: Vito Schwam.8791

Vito Schwam.8791

Vito….
-snip-
I mean, seriously WTF?

Well, that actually wasn’t what the first part of my post was about. All I wanted to do was to show a possible counter example against kicking out “inactive members” to guilds that have not reached the 500 member cap – a key distinction. Of course, if you’ve reached the cap, then you need to make room for active members. That was the point of including my “third part of my post…seriously, WTF?”. I resent that you’re implying I’m a hypocrite…

-snip-
Take Bob Marleys advice yourself Vito and chill the hell out.

First off, I’m really sorry if I came off apprehensively; it wasn’t my intention. Why am I seen as though I’m hostile and confrontational? I’m, in fact, just saying that guild leaders should reconsider kicking inactive guild members because they’re not just “deadwood”, they’re human beings who do come back to GW2 and do, in fact, contribute to the guilds they’re in when they return. I’m not saying don’t kick them, I’m just saying, “kick wisely”. That’s all. I like the tool that was suggested.

-snip-

1. The 3rd part of my post completely agrees with everything you said in the 1st part of your response.
2. Minimizing inactive members on your roster and opening room for active contributors is absolutely all about “as efficient as possible”, and I agree with this priority —-- IN THE CONTEXT —-- and ONLY in the context of a guild that HAS reached the member cap.
3. I agree that we need this tool.
4. How many of the people you kicked for inactivity, who then came back to the game, rejoined your guild? How many didn’t? Ok, thank you.

Really, you guys are finding an adversary where there isn’t one. My post didn’t even apply to either of you, and yet, here you are, “top rankin” me by telling me, implicitly, to “STFU, hypocrite”, and in fact, explicitly, to “chill the hell out”. I posted that song for this reason. Just think about that for a minute.

That being said, let me make this simpler. Anet, we need this tool. Guild leaders, just reconsider kicking people if you don’t have someone already waiting to come into your guild.

Maybe I should have just typed that in the first place…

The Toad [TOAD] – www.thetoad.hit.to | Henge of Denravi | Cmd. Vitellio Romana

(edited by Vito Schwam.8791)

Posted by: Greenman.1895

Greenman.1895

The guild leaders in any guild should be able to run their guild however they see fit. The problem is we currently can’t do this very easily.

It’s not very practical for a large guild to traverse the leader boards looking for inactive members.

In our guild the users last login time and guild rank will give us a good indication of the user’s status.

Please ANET add another column in to the guild roster to show us the last time a user logged in.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

here’s a tip,

if a guild member’s last known location is “Unknown” each time you log in everyday …
then that said member has not logged in for a very, very long time.

Tainden.1640

Deimos, my guild already use this measure and we still regularly find ourselves capped or very close to it. We like to keep a couple of spots open as many of our guildies have the ability to invite people. And given that there isnt always a guild leader on to boot an inactive account it makes sense to be a few below capped. That be said thanks for the tip

Another idea i’ve also heard of is set everyone to a nominal rank, and everytime a guild leader see’s someone online, increase their rank to another rank. After X amount of time (say a month or 2) you have a fair idea which ones are inactive. Not meaning u have to boot them all straight away but still means u know who u can remove to make room. Havent actually implemented this idea yet as i’ve only just heard it.

(edited by Tainden.1640)

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos, my guild already use this measure and we still regularly find ourselves capped or very close to it. We like to keep a couple of spots open as many of our guildies have the ability to invite people. And given that there isnt always a guild leader on to boot an inactive account it makes sense to be a few below capped. That be said thanks for the tip

ooo. i see. hmm for my guild, we reached 400 members, i think we need to purchase the 500 max upgrade or start booting truly inactive members. we have around 100 – 150 which are inactive for good. >.<

Another idea i’ve also heard of is set everyone to a nominal rank, and everytime a guild leader see’s someone online, increase their rank to another rank. After X amount of time (say a month or 2) you have a fair idea which ones are inactive. Not meaning u have to boot them all straight away but still means u know who u can remove to make room. Havent actually implemented this idea yet as i’ve only just heard it.

aye this is what i do. i set the ranks to be:

founder
generals
commanders
majors
lieutenants
sergeants
corporals
privates
recruits
M I A

Alyx.2105

Vito wrote- “Maybe I should have just typed that in the first placeā€¦”

Yes, yes you should have…

Tainden.1640

Haha, love the M.I.A rank!

Must say though, while this way of doing it works ok, it also requires regular upkeep from guild leaders and also means that if someones not on very often, they can slip through and be considered inactive. The only way of knowing for sure is if anet actually help us out with giving us better tools to work with. I wouldn’t have thought it that hard for them to do such a thing, but maybe they have other priorities. Kind of frustrating since half the fun in games like this guild related

(edited by Tainden.1640)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The other thing to bear in mind is that no one is suggesting they’re going to have a hard-line rule that everyone gets kicked if they’re not on regularly.

I mentioned earlier my guild does have an activity requirement – you have to get one achievement point per month or you get kicked. But we also have a Facebook group, a forum and obviously the leader and officers are in-game regularly so if someone knows they’re going away (or something unexpected happens but they can still get internet access) they can let the leaders know and they won’t be kicked. Or if they are kicked when they come back they can get in touch and ask to be re-added.

And that goes double if these people are actually friends. Yes you can be friends with someone and still not speak to them for a couple of months at a time, I have several friends like that, but if you don’t speak to them for months and don’t know why and don’t have any way to contact them to find out then I’d say even by my fairly loose definition that person is not a friend.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well, since the max size for guild is 500 members, sooner or later we have to start kicking to make way for active members.

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

Basic UI elements like the one suggested here should have been in the game since day 1. As it stands right now the guild window tells me just about everything I DON’T care to know and nothing that I do. (Class, level, activity etc)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Our guild kicks people if they haven’t earned an achievement point in 2 months. It seems to work pretty well. Keeps new players coming in.

Posted by: demonboy.4153

demonboy.4153

Please add a feature to guilds so we can see who is still active. Our guild is currently at 499/500 and people always want to join. It’s very hard to accept them because we don’t know who is still activly playing. Please consider helping out the players of guild wars. Thanks!

Posted by: burning glory.3859

burning glory.3859

i place my vote for a last logged in feature added to the game : )