my first negative impresion about guildwars2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zaishen.4985

Zaishen.4985

Hi all, i dont know if this is the best place to post sugestions, but i just got the key and i created a character, i went into the game and i want to say that the first negative impresion about guildwars2 is the character movment, it delays when u move, you stop moving and the character still moving because of that delay effect, would be nice if you remove that delay or at last reduce it, annoys me that (i hate that)
in this video u can see that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyCjPOsBGgk

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

…You linked a beta video that’s almost 3 years old. And that delay you’re talking about? Bad computer or bad internet, as I have never seen anything like what you’re talking about.

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Turn your graphics setting ingame down a bit.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It would be bad if that was what happened…but it doesn’t happen here. What kind of system are you running the game on?

Zaishen.4985

is not my side, is not the lag, i have 100mb fiber connection (10mb real down and 10mb real up), is game side, im talking about that delay effect u see on the video, when you stop moving, the character have that effect, i think is because the timer on the effect is to big and thats why delay so much when u stop moving, they should accelerate the effect to make it end faster so the delay will not be so “long”, or the best way, they should just remove it directly
this is my system (CPUZ link): http://valid.x86.fr/c8byff

(edited by Zaishen.4985)

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

Are you playing an asura by chance? Part of their animation is they stumble forward a bit, then return to the center of the player position should be, but they aren’t actually moving any further than that.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Long story short….. Gw2 relies heavily on processing powere moreso than anything else and your processor is bottlenecking your performance.

Posted by: Coelho Nat.4697

Coelho Nat.4697

Also, you have only 4 Gb memory. It is too few even for softer programs nowadays.

Zaishen.4985

Long story short….. Gw2 relies heavily on processing powere moreso than anything else and your processor is bottlenecking your performance.

is not player side guys, this hapens in all pc’s, u dont understand me, im talking about the effect of the character when stops moving, look this videos, u can see in all of them that effect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg2g23s5Ynw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTnlbF9WbT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hVAW3bcMBQ

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’m afraid the problem is on your side of the internet. I’ve never seen anyone complain about this (at least not since beta) and if it was a problem I guarantee there would be posts about it.

I suggest you check your computer or your connection.

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

Sorry not seeing what you’re seeing, or at least this never happens to me.

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe he is talking about the little sway at the end when someone stops running. I always thought that was mimicking real physics, where if you stop abruptly, you don’t stop and stand poker stiff, but there is a bit of sway where your upper body is still moving a bit when your legs stop.

If that’s it, then it’s a stylistic choice and it won’t be removed.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Pay attention to the ground as you move. When you release the key, is it still moving?

Are you simply referring to the small animation it does when you stop, where your character “brakes” a step? It’s just an animation, it doesn’t actually affect anything.

In alpha, they did have momentum where your character would speed up and slow down, creating an odd effect, but they removed that. A similar effect can be caused by visual lag, check your FPS for that problem.

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Are you talking about moving forward and stop, but your character doesn’t stand straight and stop, instead he does a little lean forward animation?

Or are you talking about a bug where you strafe left and right, and your character doing drifting around?

All is vain.

Zaishen.4985

Are you talking about moving forward and stop, but your character doesn’t stand straight and stop, instead he does a little lean forward animation?

exactly, im talking about that, my sugestion is to remove that animation or reduce it, would make the movment and mobility more smooth

Astral Projections.7320

exactly, im talking about that, my sugestion is to remove that animation or reduce it, would make the movment and mobility more smooth

I’m afraid it’s a stylistic choice and it’s unlikely they will remove it because it bothers one person, or a few people. It mimics natural physics where people don’t stop abruptly without swaying a little.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I believe your concept of smooth is what the rest of us may call abrupt. Just keep playing and you’ll get used to it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Just as Astral Projections.7320 said, it will stay in the game and you should get used to it. Most people don’t have a problem with it, instead they like it.

Whats more, as someone has said before, it is just animation and it has nothing to do with mobility. If you instantly stop and instantly move again, you won’t even see that animation on your first stop.

All is vain.

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

I’m failing to see how a stylistic animation that can be interrupted at any time inhibits mobility in any way.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’m failing to see how a stylistic animation that can be interrupted at any time inhibits mobility in any way.

yeah….. if that is what the op is indeed complaining about then….. idk

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

it would be your internet/ping timing maybe… even my laptop that has a 2 cores, geforce 630m 1gb of video and 4gb of ram can run gw2 smooth on low settings

btw link is from beta

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

OP isn’t talking about lag.

It’s the animation that does this, and there are many people that dislike it. It might be aesthetically pleasing to look at, but it alters the user’s perception which is not good. When a player stops, he should immediately stop, including all animation delays. It’s the perception that matters here. This is why people always praise WoW’s movement, because it feels as if the user has complete control of his movement and strafing.

edit: Did any of you actually watch the video instead of dismissing it? The date is irrelevant, since the issues are still in the game. Here’s a brief description in the video, “specifically the responsiveness of actions following user input”

Posted by: BartaLemton.6280

BartaLemton.6280

Man I love that animation, it’s part of why I’m still playing this game to date. I’m sorry but when I’m running at full speed, or even at a jog, if I decide to stop instantly the momentum has to go somewhere. You know where it goes? My upper body, because my feet are planted…And I sway.

That’s how life works, and it makes the game feel more realistic. Conservation of energy brah, laws of physics.

Astral Projections.7320

^

I would think it would look extremely strange to remove it and stop/start running in a stiff manner as OP suggests. It’s not how it happens in real life and it would look unnatural to do it in the game. When you are running and stop abruptly, either you take another step to keep your balance or your upper body sways a bit as momentum keeps it moving forward while the feet are stopped.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Is your character alcoholic or on any drugs?

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Haha, omg….

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Your first negative impression is that Guild Wars 2 offers very detailed and fluid character animation? See, that was a very positive impression back when I first started playing. Now, it’s become a standard.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Also, you have only 4 Gb memory. It is too few even for softer programs nowadays.

Doesn’t matter, we already know that gw2.exe is 32bit and can’t address that much anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

aaaaaand I also fail how it does anything bad to smotheness of movement – animation can be interrupted by literally anything and also if you want to position yourself extremely precisely “on spot” there is no problem with that.

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Zaishen.4985

^

I would think it would look extremely strange to remove it and stop/start running in a stiff manner as OP suggests. It’s not how it happens in real life and it would look unnatural to do it in the game. When you are running and stop abruptly, either you take another step to keep your balance or your upper body sways a bit as momentum keeps it moving forward while the feet are stopped.

at last they can modify the effect to make it end faster, its very negative feeling for a new player to take the hands off from the keyboard and to see that your character is still moving
i play games since 1999, all kind of games and always the first thing i analyze when i open a game is the movment, in this case is definetly negative, for example in guildwars 1 the movment was
more smooth, there were no effect animation when you stop moving, this animation from my point of view, make many ppl to look bad at guildwars2
for the ppl who say “that animation cant be removed”, it can be removed or edited, in Aion for example, ncsoft edited the player movment, they modified the running and the character moving style
look guildwars1 character how it moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62k86wctO9M
i know they wanted to make it nicer and all that, but that just complicated the game play and is rly not nice, simple things are always better than complicated things

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Doesn’t matter, we already know that gw2.exe is 32bit and can’t address that much anyway.

Kinda off. 32bit software CAN address up to 4gb of memory. The problem is when a chunk of it’s already taken up by the OS (cough 32bit vista kitten) and cannot be reclaimed in any fashion to give to other programs.

So, yea, 4gb of ram IS too little. Ideally I’d attribute 2-3gb of RAM to OS and ‘low level’ programs you often keep up, like browsers or music, and then account for at least 2-3 times that extra for the heavy programs you run.

@OP, do tell us how a more natural, physically REALISTIC movement engine is worse than character movement that’s stiffer than a brick wall? Seriously, if it’s that bad for you, zoom in all the way and stop looking at your character or something. Or stop playing. Anet really isnt going to change anything to make a single player happy when it’s going to kitten off 100000000000000000% more players.

(edited by Aidan Savage.2078)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Thank god the OP didn’t happen to play on the bobblehead day.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

It seems that the OP likes a very cartoony type of game. That’s his prerogative. But it’s not the type of game that GW2 is.

Posted by: Sydone.6892

Sydone.6892

at last they can modify the effect to make it end faster, its very negative feeling for a new player to take the hands off from the keyboard and to see that your character is still moving

Speak for your self. I am fairly new and when i first saw the animation i was pleasantly surprised, i like it a lot.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

lol… people love the game, and say wow about the graphics for the past 2.5 yrs….

If there would be actual problems with movement, don’t you think it wouldn’t have been patched in beta? charr can be difficult in JP’s simple solution ir to draw weapond, and it’s normal. asura tend to jump very high and be very fast and agile, but I can navigate them everywhere… doubt there are many problems…

My old dual (2p) quad core opteron used to have some problems with this game even with an updated grphics solution, but I did fine… on low/medium setings.
It had(/has) 2 CPUs on 2.3 Ghz both quad core, 16 Gb of ddr2, and a AMD Radeon HD 6870 upgraded from a nvidia 9600 GT…

My old CPU is slower but the same in design, if the gw2 engine were better optimized for multithreading I guess the systems would be on par. The videocard you have is slower, but will fit your CPU better. My tends to overstress the IO and CPU a bit, lowering performance of both cpu and gpu.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Gazareth.7230

Gazareth.7230

Well if you only have 4GB of RAM total, that needs to cover GW2, your OS, and whatever background programs/services you have running at the same time. This means you’re probably not giving GW2 the full 4GB. Maybe it doesn’t need it all anyway, just thought I’d point that technicality out. I would assume in general it’s better to have slightly too much ram than too little though.

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Yeah, that definitely a game-breaking feature.

And that my friends, is why things like the NPE exist. Remember the human female idle animations? Too confusing for new players, I guess.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Haha, omg….

Bruh-

We have “inertia is unnatural” as a complaint now-

Anet, just stop listening to us pls

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

^

i play games since 1999, all kind of games and always the first thing i analyze when i open a game is the movment, in this case is definetly negative, for example in guildwars 1 the movment was
more smooth, there were no effect animation when you stop moving, this animation from my point of view, make many ppl to look bad at guildwars2
for the ppl who say “that animation cant be removed”, it can be removed or edited, in Aion for example, ncsoft edited the player movment, they modified the running and the character moving style
look guildwars1 character how it moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62k86wctO9M
i know they wanted to make it nicer and all that, but that just complicated the game play and is rly not nice, simple things are always better than complicated things

You’re the only person I’ve ever seen complain about this on the forums.

Astral Projections.7320

I find how inertia effects how I move annoying in real life too. I’m going to write my congressman today to have it outlawed. Once it’s removed from real life, I will necro this thread, point out the new physics to ANet and join in with OP’s suggestion that inertial animations be removed from the game.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I find how inertia effects how I move annoying in real life too. I’m going to write my congressman today to have it outlawed. Once it’s removed from real life, I will necro this thread, point out the new physics to ANet and join in with OP’s suggestion that inertial animations be removed from the game.

This ^^

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

4/10 for this troll

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

(edited by Dwaynas Avatar.1562)

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

GW2 has probably the crispest mechanics of any mmo on the current market.

If a animation bothers you that much play something else. Are you going to write FROM Software now and tell them the Zweihanders heavy animation is too slow in dark souls 2?

Also 4 gigs of ram is not enough for modern gaming. 8-16 gigs is the new standard for the few years at least.

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

the bobble heads were hilarious

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

(edited by spartan.9421)

spartan.9421

i’m sorry, what? you have just started playing this amazing game and the thing that sets you off is a realistic animation? Are you serious mate? Do you expect the person to stop instantly? That would be dumb.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I find it sad that the community keeps mocking a new player just because he expressed an opinion.

spartan.9421

no one is mocking him atleast im not

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I find it sad that the community keeps mocking a new player just because he expressed an opinion.

Nobody has mocked him for expressing his opinion.

At the same time, “inertia is unnatural” is silly.

Negative feedback =/= mocking.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

the bobble heads were hilarious

Thank god we still got this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bobblehead_Laboratory

One – Piken Square

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Cause you know game is in shambles when the most glaring issues is how a character stops after running.