my thoughts on the new dye pack

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Please note that this isn’t a complaint thread; this is actual, honest feedback that you’re free to consider or disregard as you see fit.

I didn’t buy the Flame and Frost Dye Pack for the same reason I won’t buy this one: rng combined with character-bound dye unlocks. If either of those were not the case – if we had either guaranteed dyes in the packs or if dyes were account bound – I’d have gladly purchased each. But as a man with five “mains” (no alts here) and a completionist, I’m not going to sink money into something that might leave my characters’ dye pallets lopsided or incomplete.

I don’t begrudge the shift from account to character-bound dyes; I understand the reasoning behind it, even if it’s not as player-friendly as the original system was supposed to be. But for me personally, character-bound dyes plus rng dye packs available for a limited time only (as I presume this new pack will be) equals a no buy for me.

That said, the colors (particularly the darker ones) look nice and I do like the idea of themed dye packs, even if I’m not going to buy them.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I agree with darkace.
Character Bound + RNG pack = No sale.
RNG pack + Limited Availability = No sale.
Character Bound + Limited Availability = No sale.
So obviously, Character Bound + RNG pack + Limited Availability = NO SALE.

Edit: Durr, character bound, not account bound. But you all seem to have got the idea.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I bought it and didn’t get one new dye from the pack of 5 e____e;;

Now I remember why I don’t brother with RNG’s kin.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I wouldn’t consider spending a cent on those even if I was a 110% Arenanet supporter. It’s a ripoff.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Qin.7325

Qin.7325

I would spend so much real money on gems if I could buy specific dyes, armor skins, and weapon skins if they functioned like our zenith weapon skins (unlimited uses, account bound)

note, I use to love buying those costumes and weapon packs in gw1 too simply because of the “unlimited use”
I can keep 1, trash the other, and get it back anytime I want just like gw2 zenith weapons

but instead, I “force” myself to “grind/farm” to convert gold into gems instead and to complain and stress out over having to pay that xx amount of gold just for a one time use thing that is usually RNG based like the black lion chest stuff… or to completely ignore the sales because I don’t want to spend gold or pay real money for gems on limited or chance based stuff

so in a way, I guess I should thank Anet for helping me limit my spending with their current gem store practices

which means I’m not actually complaining as it might seem
because I’m thanking Anet without the use of sarcasm; seriously

Attachments:

(edited by Qin.7325)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I never put money towards something RNG because I hate gambling.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Unfortunately (fortunately?) there will be people who like to gamble. So just use the gold used to buy gems to buy it in the tp directly.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

ah but you see some people still buy these RNG stuff.

That’s why they still exist.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree. I think this is a bad way to do business.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Totally agree. I really don’t understand these decisions. Because of rng in GW2’s gemshop, I spent a lot more money in GW1 then I have in GW2. That’s despite there being a far more extensive gem shop in GW2. The only things I have bought have been things like armor and weapon skins that aren’t rng But things like this or keys? The gambling mechanic is insulting.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

But rng is fun, who doesnt like being disappointed.

Posted by: Blixa.1204

Blixa.1204

I have been away a while and don’t know what RNG means. Can someone spell it out so that this thread makes sense?

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Yeah, nope. Never going to buy into this whole RNG in the Gem Store. It’s a horrible way to do business that just further proves the company cares more about greed than satisfied players.

I guess I should thank Anet for the extra money in my bank. Hundreds of dollars that I would of originally spent on this game, now saved up in my bank for something else instead. No sense in giving Anet anymore of my money if they continue to see us as bags of money instead of actual players.

I have been away a while and don’t know what RNG means. Can someone spell it out so that this thread makes sense?

RNG in pretty much all games stands for Random Number Generator/Generated. It’s a term used for random chance. Say you are farming for an item and it drops off of one boss. That boss has an RNG loot table for that item. Meaning the chance of you getting that item is random, not guaranteed. You could farm for months and never get it, while some other person can do it once, and get the item first time. Random is random. That is what RNG is. Learn that phrase here. Anet loves RNG and you’ll see a lot of it.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Posted by: Blixa.1204

Blixa.1204

I really liked EQ1 (kunark era) where you could go to a dungeon, kill the guy 387 times and get the staff you wanted and go do something else. I remember when I camped raster. Getting the epic on a monk was a pain in the kitten . Yes, every class had a single epic item back then and it took months of camping, questing and a very kind and dedicated guild to make it all work. That all being said I will not go to work, buy gems and then get a RNG dye pack.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

wait theres a new dye pack? WOOHOO!!!!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So does anyone have pics of the new dyes anywhere?
Are they for sale on the TP like the Flame and Frost dyes?
I am asking because I will never spend real money or gold on RNG

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

So does anyone have pics of the new dyes anywhere?
Are they for sale on the TP like the Flame and Frost dyes?
I am asking because I will never spend real money or gold on RNG

Yep, you can already see them on the TP, same icons as the frost/flame dyes. They’re all kind of glaring green, acidic green, dirty green and more green.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The thing to remember is that the RNG means the rare dyes are actually rare.

In comparison, many cardgames sell boosters that usually have a rule of something like X cards in side, with 1 being guaranteed to be of a rarer type. This model would not work with most GW2 dyes, because you can sell them, which can result in a self-sustaining loop.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

i think we can agree that paying 50g for a dye that is character bound is a little much. or 7$ / 50g for a chance at a dye. I really dont understand why dyes arent account bound already, it gets really annoying having to spend 20+g on dyes for each of my characters and being limited in my selection because of the gold tied into it.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

i think we can agree that paying 50g for a dye that is character bound is a little much. or 7$ / 50g for a chance at a dye. I really dont understand why dyes arent account bound already, it gets really annoying having to spend 20+g on dyes for each of my characters and being limited in my selection because of the gold tied into it.

They were supposed to be actually, or at least I heard they were done so back in Beta.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I wouldn’t consider spending a cent on those even if I was a 110% Arenanet supporter. It’s a ripoff.

Absolutely. I’m probably one of those 110% supporters, but I’m not stupid. I won’t buy these packs.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Gotta join the chorus, here. I like the idea of themed dye packs, would consider buying them if there was a guarantee of some/all of the new dyes (even if that left them account-bound, not re-sellable), but 6 in 25? You have to be kidding me. Especially as when they sell on the AH, it will likely be for 60-70g.

Sadly (is it sad? For me I guess) I think there are enough people who have tons of money, no ability to do math, and so on, who will just buy ’em to have ’em.

I’m not opposed to it, I should say, I just think ArenaNet should know this is never going to get my money, where other approaches would.

darkace.8925

but 6 in 25? You have to be kidding me.

There’s no guarantee it’s a 6 in 25 chance. If there’s not an equal chance of getting a new dye as there is an older dye then those chances can be much lower.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Making these dye packs have guaranteed dyes in them would drastically decrease the amount bought by the playerbase, thus lowering the amount of gems bought from the gem store, ect.

In the end its a gamble and if you don’t want to take the chance of getting crap, don’t buy it.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I’m just sad that F&F probably ruined this investment before it even happened :P I can already see too many people thinking this will be the new dye to flip.

darkace.8925

Making these dye packs have guaranteed dyes in them would drastically decrease the amount bought by the playerbase, thus lowering the amount of gems bought from the gem store, ect.

But how many more people would be willing to purchase them?

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

But how many more people would be willing to purchase them?

Give it two weeks, trade gems for gold, then buy the one you want. Would probably be cheaper. Let the crazy gamblers do the work for you :P

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Frankly, considering the subtle, mild differences in dyes, I usually see no need to invest in expensive dye as a suitable cheap alternative is always available.

There is no lack of cheap green, in all flavours you’d wish, so these rare dyes have no value to me whatsoever.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

I really wish ArenaNet would drop the whole idea of spend more money for a chance of getting what you want.

I would be more than happy to pay for an item I want knowing that I’m going to get it straight away, but what I’m not willing to do is spend £100 or more just for a slim chance that I will get what I’m after.

I wouldn’t gamble in real life, so why on earth would I do it in a game with real money.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

you guys are cheap. account bound dyes? If it were that easy they would be worth nothing. Work for something. This game is so casual and people still complain its pathetic. It will take you a few hours, maybe 1 or 2 days of gaming if you play 2-3 hours a day, to buy the dye you want. A week for two. I have celest dye in 2 toons, abyss on 4 and midnight ice on 4. Thats with two 3 month breaks. Just stop complaining so much. They give you more and more ways to make gold quick and people still cry. good god

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

How monotone, like literally.
Anyway, I’m sorry but I have other priorities to work for. If I want fifty shades of gray I’ll buy the book.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: LtTiger.4568

LtTiger.4568

I learned my lession after trying to get the Flame(fused?)-weapon skins (never got one, and I lost count of how many chest I opened).. Never gonna use gems/gold on rng-based stuff like that again!

Seven Star Stalker.1740

you guys are cheap. account bound dyes? If it were that easy they would be worth nothing. Work for something. This game is so casual and people still complain its pathetic. It will take you a few hours, maybe 1 or 2 days of gaming if you play 2-3 hours a day, to buy the dye you want. A week for two. I have celest dye in 2 toons, abyss on 4 and midnight ice on 4. Thats with two 3 month breaks. Just stop complaining so much. They give you more and more ways to make gold quick and people still cry. good god

Except they were intending to implement it at one stage during development anyway. So obviously it was there for some time, and someone pulled it off the table before release. Also. No. You’re completely missing the point. The problem is having an economy influenced by cash based RNG. Have you ever been to GaiaOnline? That site is notorious why? Because the devs created a RNG mini game everymonth with high end items that would cost real life money and have an absurdly low droprate. Ultimately, chasing after the stuff you wanted became dull and depressing because 90% of the time it was inflated to such a point that to buy it via buying cash shop items and selling them int he market place! you’d have to pay several hundred dollars, unless you either sold some sort of external commidity like art commissions, or had stupidly high luck.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Those figures are nonsense unless you’re assuming 100% optimized and successful Frostgorge champ farm (which only people with fairly good PCs can do – the zone time is so long on slower ones that you miss bosses if you play in the evening), or COF speedruns (which only full-zerker Warriors, Guardians and Mesmers can reliably get into).

Further, you’re talking about much cheaper dyes:

Midnight Ice is 12g, Celestial is 24g, Abyss is 30g.

The dyes from the last event are 60-70g.

Grinding your face off in a Champ farm on a good PC for 10+ hours is not “casual”, Azure. If you think it is, you clearly have no understanding of what casual means.

I don’t think we need account-bound dyes, but these gambling dyes? Are for suckers.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

I said the same thing when about the flame & frost dye packs…

IF I could buy the specific colors I wanted I would buy a few of those colors.

However, I am disappointed once again. I simply will NOT buy anything from the gem store that is character bound or gated behind a money grubbing screw over your player RNG. I will not spend actual money for a ‘chance’ to get what I actually want.

Disappointed

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

1. Account bound dyes FTW, yes I heard tht was the original intent for this game.tell me they didnt go back on that simply because “ohh we can make more moniezzz if we make it character bound!”I’m really hoping for some more plausible reasons.

2. Getting currencies, or banging ur head against RNG to get the same hard to get dye several times for each toon isn’t what I plan on spending my time in game for. I login, I wanna do fun stuff like dungeons or events or such with friends without worrying “wud i get enough cash from this?” or “will it give me a chance to get X”

3. RNG in Gemstore. Like the OP, hell no for me. so sorry, i spent gems on stuff before and likely will do in the future, for cosmetic reasons, but only only ONLY for guaranteed in getting the stuff i am purchasing for. Not “chance” to get it.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

random number generator aka random

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m not a huge fan of rng personally, but the dye packs wouldn’t bother me as much if they weren’t character bound. I wouldn’t mind spending a few dollars on the rng dye packs if I didn’t have to worry about “well which character do I put this on” all the time. Then, I could easily share duplicates with my guild mates (who might not necessarily have the funds to invest) or drop them in the forge if I so chose.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Downfall.2671

Downfall.2671

I would have already bought some skins, dyes and those unlimited tools from the gem shop, if they weren’t soulbound…

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Why do Anet feel it necessary to offer these ripoff deals on things that quite honestly don’t actually exist.

It’s not as if it costs them anything to make so they have to claw-back every begrudging copper coin.

I’d be willing to buy stuff (for real cash money) if :-
a) It was any use to me at all.
b) It wasn’t attached to a very good chance of getting nothing.

I actually scan the Gem shop at intervals LOOKING for something I could buy and get a laugh or a whistle from it. Nothing…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I did buy one pack just in case, and got a nice dye from it but not the limited greens. That’s enough RNG for me even though the high contrast greens do look lovely. I may or may not scrape up the gold for one on the TP.

I’d love account bound dyes, but I have to warn you all of the other edge of that sword — when they were account bound in beta, they were also not tradeable. You’d have to just hope for a lucky drop for your characters. The devs decided to make them tradeable so you could go for the ones you wanted, but extended the collection time by converting them to character bound.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

It’s hard to go wrong with new dyes. I don’t really like the way they’re sold with the RNG being such a factor though… and I actually did manage to get a Charred Dye out of a molten dye kit. The way I see it, it’s a fun thing to do with a few bucks if you want to take a chance. If the dyes are really something you want, just save up the money for it…. if you want to play the wheel of RNG chance, give it a roll. It’s the flip side of the coin when you have no monthly fees, imo.