in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

25x orb + 25x orb + 25x orb + 5 glob of ecto = 10 gemstones

new amalgamated gemstone MF recipe

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Thank you, I was wondering! Now to do some math to see if that’s cheaper.

Milkshake.4038

I have put some t5 crystals into the forge: 50 attempts → 3 gemstones, the chance of promotion to t6 orbs seems to be the same as before. Please provide more data if you have crystals and time to click.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I have put some t5 crystals into the forge: 50 attempts -> 3 gemstones, the chance of promotion to t6 orbs seems to be the same as before. Please provide more data if you have crystals and time to click.

What is the t5 crystal recipe in the forge?

Milkshake.4038

I have put some t5 crystals into the forge: 50 attempts -> 3 gemstones, the chance of promotion to t6 orbs seems to be the same as before. Please provide more data if you have crystals and time to click.

What is the t5 crystal recipe in the forge?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Crystal etc.

Just put 4 of them into the MF.

Posted by: Tayledras.1604

Tayledras.1604

Thanks for the information Milkshake…cheers mate.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

That’s not really much savings lol still really pricey.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Donari.5237

Oh, foo. Thought it was guaranteed 10 per based on the OP.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

The recipe seems a lot cheaper to me. The original was 9 orbs and 1 crystalline dust for one which would be 90 orbs and 10 dust for 10.

Now it’s 5 ecto which might give you 10 dust but only 75 orbs so that’s almost 20% cheaper, and a lot less clicks. Of course you need 25 of one type so it’s a little less flexible.

Milkshake.4038

Oh, foo. Thought it was guaranteed 10 per based on the OP.

It is guaranteed 10. I have read on reddit that you have a small chance to get 20.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

That’s not really much savings lol still really pricey.

I don’t think it was intended to be a savings, so much as just less of a hassle than converting them one at a time. Of course, I would not mind if there were a savings too.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Donari.5237

Well, if you get 10 per 75 orbs + 5 ecto, that is better than needing 90 orbs and 10 crystalline ore. Though you do have to have 25 of a particular orb so you have less granular control. If that small chance at 20 procs, What Savings!

Milkshake, when you said you got 3 gemstones from forging T5’s, did you mean amalgamated gemstones or orbs? I’d be willing to burn my crystals for a shot at turning 4 crystals into 1 amalgamated, but not if it just turns into orbs. I can turn 2 crystals into an orb if my dust supply holds out, for a much larger return of orbs.

Milkshake.4038

Well, if you get 10 per 75 orbs + 5 ecto, that is better than needing 90 orbs and 10 crystalline ore. Though you do have to have 25 of a particular orb so you have less granular control. If that small chance at 20 procs, What Savings!

Milkshake, when you said you got 3 gemstones from forging T5’s, did you mean amalgamated gemstones or orbs? I’d be willing to burn my crystals for a shot at turning 4 crystals into 1 amalgamated, but not if it just turns into orbs. I can turn 2 crystals into an orb if my dust supply holds out, for a much larger return of orbs.

t5 crystals = ruby crystal, emerald crystal etc. or medallions

Before patch you were able to put 4 of them into the forge and you had ~30% chance to promote them to t6 orbs/crests. Now you have a small (<2%) chance to get amalgamated gemstones this way.

It was cheaper to use purely crystals to make orbs, because incandescent dust is expensive. And now it is even better. I quickly made 50 attempts to see what happens and I got 3 amalgamated gemstones, but it seems that the chance is lower, but I don’t have a big sample.

The new mystic forge recipe gives you 10 amalgamated gemstones (and a small chance to get 20, but I cannot confirm this).

Donari.5237

Thanks much! When I can next get in game I’ll see how many I can make with mats I already have, then worry about accumulating the rest. After holding off so long due to hopes that things would get easier with the patch, I have to change my brain away from the avoidance mechanisms

Donari.5237

I don’t know if this happened before but occasionally when making one amalgamated the old 3-stack way it would proc 5 amalgamateds.

I got distracted by a guildie and goofed and used my orbs up on 3-stacks instead of 25’s >< /so much face palming But then I promoted some crystals (using dust, a whole lot of forging got me -one- orb) and was able to do 2 iterations of the 25’s. Ended up with 72/250

Milkshake.4038

I don’t know if this happened before but occasionally when making one amalgamated the old 3-stack way it would proc 5 amalgamateds.

I got distracted by a guildie and goofed and used my orbs up on 3-stacks instead of 25’s >< /so much face palming But then I promoted some crystals (using dust, a whole lot of forging got me -one- orb) and was able to do 2 iterations of the 25’s. Ended up with 72/250

Maybe they added a “critical crafting success” to that as well. It would be nice to know the chance.

Donari.5237

I can’t help there. I know it happened at least 3 times in my first 30 forges of stacks of 3, but thereafter it seemed to slow down and by the time I had gotten to over 70 amalgamateds completed I’d decided I was never going to see a 5 proc again. Would it help to have a crafting booster on when forging? I ask based on your phrasing.

Donari.5237

I’ll add that in my earlier tries I was using 3 different kinds of orbs, and later on I was using split stacks of the same type. I then moved to making 25-stackers and my first (and only) 25 proc happened the moment I went from 3 stacks of the same orb to 3 different types. Waaaaay too small a sample to mean anything but vaguely possibly worth testing by those who like to test such things.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’ll add that in my earlier tries I was using 3 different kinds of orbs, and later on I was using split stacks of the same type. I then moved to making 25-stackers and my first (and only) 25 proc happened the moment I went from 3 stacks of the same orb to 3 different types. Waaaaay too small a sample to mean anything but vaguely possibly worth testing by those who like to test such things.

Haven’t done a big sample either, but it doesn’t seem to matter – my 25’s were all on different stacks used.

Edit: on careful reading, that’s what you seem to imply. Hmm, need to experiment more.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

Wow, was planning on doing these today using the 9+1 recipe, thanks for saving me a lot of hassle and potentially money <3

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

I just made mine over the course of 2 days. Out of the 250, I proc’d the 25 crit either 3 or 4 times.

I don’t know if I got lucky, but it saved me 45-60 gemstones in mats and gold. Thank God.

Posted by: Dahmerkitten.1385

Dahmerkitten.1385

So i finally decided to do these for Hope last night.

I mystic forged 6 full stacks of T5 gems and got 20 gemstones from it.

Then doing the new Ecto recipe i got the random 25, 3 times.

I only had a little over half of the needed t6 gems for the old recipe- about 2k.

It was more than enough- i sold the remainder of my gems to help the gem economy netting me over 90 gold.

I would say to anticipate prices to go down and fluctuate some more over the next few days if you still need to buy.

Donari.5237

I had been dreading the amalgamated part of the final crafting so very much. Thanks to this thread I finally rolled up my sleeves and dove in and got it done the same day I began. I had to sell off a number of mats and other valuables, use up all my orbs, crystal, and incandescent dust, and keep running to the TP to up my bids on amalgamateds as no one was selling to high bid. (Then I realized it was cheaper by far to buy the cheapest orbs and use up my copious ectos, so I did that in batches so I could keep buying the cheapest ones, so a bunch of amalgamated sellers lost out on my purchasing /grins). I got to needing just 3 more, made a batch of 10, and listed the last 7 to get a good hunk of gold back and ended up still in three digits of gold reserves.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t spend hundreds of gold doing it, either, thanks to the occasional 5 or 25 proc, since I ended up with only a couple hundred less than my high amount. So go for it, guys! The new recipe really helps!

Attachments:

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

to help expand our knowledge:
I’ve forged the new 10x amalgamated gemstone recipe 445 times and received 5,200 amalgamated gemstones (395×10 + 50×25), for an average of 11.68 each time.
another way to look at it: 1 out of every 8.9 forges gave 25
for the number lovers: that cost me 33,375 orbs/crests/doubloons and 2,225 ecto.
specific combination of ingredients seems to not affect the drop rate at all

edit: I did more forgings and updated my numbers above. I also tested different combinations:
50 forgings, all the same orbs per forging but dif orbs used in test: 590 AG. 11.8 each. 6×25 + 44×10
12 forgings, 1 crest + 1 doubloon + 1 orb, dif combination each test: 135 AG. 11.25 each. 1×25 + 11×10
5 forgings, all dif crests, pretty much same combo each test: 50 AG. 10 each. 5×10
20 forgings, all dif orbs, dif combo each forging: 215 AG. 10.75 each. 1×25 + 19×10
took a 2 hour break to buy more materials
50 forgings, all dif orbs, dif combo each forging: 590 AG. 11.8 each. 6×25 + 44×10
conclussions: some outliers, but considering the sample size, I’m pretty sure some combinations are not better than others.

(edited by Mystic.5934)