new character = no fun?

new character = no fun?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ozzy.8059

ozzy.8059

why did you make it so painful to start a new character? the new trait system forces you to do map exploration for EVERYTHING.

just buy the skills you say? for 50 silver + and 2+ skillpoints!!!! I can live with the cash just means more money for anet >=( but the skill points are a bit harsh, REMOVE THAT REQUIREMENT

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Are you suggesting that new players may not have 340 skillpoints just languishing on each character? I am shocked, I tell you. Shocked! ~clutches pearls~ (For the record, that’s the cost of unlocking all the traits on one character. Also, 40g.)

I actually might just keep my new characters traitless and see how they fare. Equip any that I happen to complete- that certainly seems like it would make for a lot of build diversity.

Edit: To clarify tone somewhat. I hope.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

new character = no fun?

Posted by: exp.3178

exp.3178

sorry but what is the sence of beeing level 80 without map explore. I think new players have fun doing explore and level their toon up, only the ppl like me (witn at least 5 toons level 80) get bored with explore and doing the wp’s, hearts, vista’s and poi’s again. But we have the gold and skillpoints to buy them.
greetz exp

new character = no fun?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Getting your first trait point at 30 is something I really dislike.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Exploring gets old, esp even more so when some areas aren’t obvious and you’ve done all the hearts or you move slow.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

sorry but what is the sence of beeing level 80 without map explore. I think new players have fun doing explore and level their toon up, only the ppl like me (witn at least 5 toons level 80) get bored with explore and doing the wp’s, hearts, vista’s and poi’s again. But we have the gold and skillpoints to buy them.
greetz exp

Not everyone likes PvE. Even those who do can get bored doing it on every character to level. Heck, ANet clearly know this, as we can get experience scrolls and tomes of knowledge so easily. I just leveled an elementalist to 80 and she has THREE empty major trait slots because I had literally nothing to put in them. The other major traits I have, I don’t actually want. Hopefully she’s an extreme example, but still.

This has wrecked build diversity and experimentation during leveling, and it meant that I don’t even want to play my ele now I have her leveled. The increased level requirements just make the whole experience even worse.

Adding new traits to find by exploring could have given new and old players the fun of exploring and unlocking them. Heck, linking the current traits to less location specific or more relevant things (e.g. Staff Mastery → Kill 200 enemies with a staff) would have given the same feeling but by actually letting us play how we want.

I’m still crossing my fingers for ANet to undo this

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Exploration and Events got boring to me right after my first level 80 and 100% world.
I leveled my first character with exploration. All of my other 6 characters with WvW and Crafting.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

this is why I’m done leveling via map completion. First, i have 4 80’s and its boring. I craft to level 100% now. It’s just so hard to deal with tradition leveling after the nerf and i already did it 3 times b4.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

I really like the idea they had when making these changes. But once again, they came out over the top. There are lvl30 traits which have as requirement to explore lvl80 zones. WTF?

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

new character = no fun?

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I levelled a necro to 80 with the new system and it was a horrible experience.

I found that the only time I could actually make use of my traits was by the time I was level 80. Before that they were given out so seldom and were so capped that they basically did not work.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

why did you make it so painful to start a new character? the new trait system forces you to do map exploration for EVERYTHING.

just buy the skills you say? for 50 silver + and 2+ skillpoints!!!! I can live with the cash just means more money for anet >=( but the skill points are a bit harsh, REMOVE THAT REQUIREMENT

They wanted to make the system similar to GW1, since many felt the game as it was to kitteny and too easy.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

They wanted to make the system similar to GW1, since many felt the game as it was to kitteny and too easy.

They changed the wrong things.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I dunno about you, but I’ve found that I have too many skill points while leveling.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

How is it wrong? It is great that you want to discuss but you need to actually expound on what you are talking about.

We may get more skills but not like GW1 (as many of the skills in GW1 were absolute rubbish and were never used). We will not get skills to cap – that is not how this game works. So, beyond those – what else is wrong?

new character = no fun?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are 202 skill challenges available via exploration. Characters get one skill point per level starting at level 5, so a total of 76 from leveling to 80. That’s a total of 278. If the 340 quoted earlier as being needed to trait up completely is correct, in order to trait up solely by paying, you’d have to gain 62 skill points beyond that 278.

That would also mean you had purchased zero skills, so add around 120 more points beyond 80 — assuming you buy most of the ones available. Even more if you buy the 25 point heal skill. Skill point drops would reduce that somewhat — assuming you do significant amounts of content wherein they drop. I think I’ve got about 150 in my bank.

Honestly, getting the skill points will be harder for some, getting 40 gold would be harder for others. One things for sure, though. Whether you go via content, via buying, or via a combination, the system has changed dramatically, turning the trait-up process from simple to time-consuming.

/sarcasm on
Yay, another MMO time-sink.
/sarcasm off

new character = no fun?

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

How is it wrong? It is great that you want to discuss but you need to actually expound on what you are talking about.

We may get more skills but not like GW1 (as many of the skills in GW1 were absolute rubbish and were never used). We will not get skills to cap – that is not how this game works. So, beyond those – what else is wrong?

GW1 – want a skill? go kill boss whenever you feel like and get it
GW2 – want a trait? go sit in one spot for an hour or longer waiting for an event to start to get it

new character = no fun?

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Several things bothered me about the new trait setup. First, as someone else mentioned, level 30 traits in level 80 zones… Management needs to make an example out of the person who thought that up… and in a bad way.

Second: When I finally hit 80 some of the traits I needed were locked away in WvW. I loathe with a deep passion PvP/WvW (game play mechanic thing) so having to go in there to get them unlocked would have been dismal. – Note: I could have simply bought them, but instead retired the character as “Done” and chalked it up to an “Oh well, was fun for a week.”

At least the character makes a nice Mule for holding junk now.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Geez u think that’s bad? How about playing a game that’s not only lvl gated for getting ur traits, but you have to complete every quest in a zone like 50 of them, just for 1 trait point! And let me tell you, most of these quests aren’t fun, its go kill x, kill y and u have to get like 65 trait points to max lvl! Sure u also get a trait point every 2 lvls too but each level can take u a day or 2!

For me, leveling in gw2 is the best part and it has the best lvling system of any games i played. in fact it’s too fast if you ask me if u actually do everything in a map. But to me its always fun and i have 9xlvl 80. Granted, i’ve not lvled a char since the changes have been made but i don’t think that would bother me at all.

new character = no fun?

Guhracie.3419

Geez u think that’s bad? How about playing a game that’s not only lvl gated for getting ur traits, but you have to complete every quest in a zone like 50 of them, just for 1 trait point! And let me tell you, most of these quests aren’t fun, its go kill x, kill y and u have to get like 65 trait points to max lvl! Sure u also get a trait point every 2 lvls too but each level can take u a day or 2!

For me, leveling in gw2 is the best part and it has the best lvling system of any games i played. in fact it’s too fast if you ask me if u actually do everything in a map. But to me its always fun and i have 9xlvl 80. Granted, i’ve not lvled a char since the changes have been made but i don’t think that would bother me at all.

Make a new character and go trait-hunting. Then come back and discuss.

Also, the argument of “other games have worse systems” isn’t exactly a grand endorsement of ANet’s design choices.

There are 202 skill challenges available via exploration. Characters get one skill point per level starting at level 5, so a total of 76 from leveling to 80. That’s a total of 278. If the 340 quoted earlier as being needed to trait up completely is correct, in order to trait up solely by paying, you’d have to gain 62 skill points beyond that 278.

That would also mean you had purchased zero skills, so add around 120 more points beyond 80 — assuming you buy most of the ones available. Even more if you buy the 25 point heal skill. Skill point drops would reduce that somewhat — assuming you do significant amounts of content wherein they drop. I think I’ve got about 150 in my bank.

Honestly, getting the skill points will be harder for some, getting 40 gold would be harder for others. One things for sure, though. Whether you go via content, via buying, or via a combination, the system has changed dramatically, turning the trait-up process from simple to time-consuming.

/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

Here’s the link to the calculation.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/21#post4040475

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Funny you should say that, but i was actually thinking about doing just that so i can experience that feeling i used to get skill hunting in gw1. but i’ve already duplicated one class and really don’t see the point in doing it any more, so i’m waiting for a new class to come out.

And btw, i collected all the grand master traits for all my 9 chars, not with gold but by doing the content required. I loved it, it was tons of fun actually. The only one i found frustrating was Grenth and Lyssa, Grenth for crazy 1 shot kills and Lyssa for long waits between events. but i just kept doing other stuff in the area till they came around and if i didn’t have time to wait, i just tired it the next day. it took me about a month of casual hunting to get them all.

new character = no fun?

Guhracie.3419

Funny you should say that, but i was actually thinking about doing just that so i can experience that feeling i used to get skill hunting in gw1. but i’ve already duplicated one class and really don’t see the point in doing it any more, so i’m waiting for a new class to come out.

And btw, i collected all the grand master traits for all my 9 chars, not with gold but by doing the content required. I loved it, it was tons of fun actually. The only one i found frustrating was Grenth and Lyssa, Grenth for crazy 1 shot kills and Lyssa for long waits between events. but i just kept doing other stuff in the area till they came around and if i didn’t have time to wait, i just tired it the next day. it took me about a month of casual hunting to get them all.

Getting the new Grandmaster traits when you’re already at max level and have all your other traits is not the same thing at all. If you can’t be bothered to get informed on the topic, there’s really no point in discussing it further with you.

-Mike O’Brien

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I have started a new character recently. I’ll grant you that its more challenging now. But I don’t necessarily count that as a bad thing. With the excess of gold in the game – a gold sink or two are welcome. Nor do I have any trouble with skill points, in fact I have more than I need… WHEN I need them.

You don’t need every trait and skill at the moment of your character’s creation. Think about what you will actually use and what you won’t – then go from there. Just doing map completion and some events I’m unlocking traits that I wasn’t actively trying to unlock.

They will come.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The gold and Skill Point sinks target the wrong demographic – they hit new players, not the ones who actually have gold/skill points to spare.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

LOL I thought so too until I actually tried let me tell you those 5 lvl 20-35 characters will never be touched again I freaking hate the level system now because of idiots that can’t read apparently and threw the traits in ignorant places. I’m sorry if anyone finds this offensive but go to school don’t ruin the fun parts of others lives

new character = no fun?

Azhure.1857

The gold and Skill Point sinks target the wrong demographic – they hit new players, not the ones who actually have gold/skill points to spare.

And those people have other options.

• Make money (minor traits are only 10silver each, plus skill points)
  • Unlock trait by hunting down and completing requirement
  • Buy gems and convert to gold

I’m sure many will jump on the last option mentioned above. Whatever. It is the game we play in and we do so by choice. But before anyone goes all dramatic anti-gemshop on me. PLEASE remember that there are options for all players – whether they be new players or just another alt for veteran players.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

new character = no fun?

Sartharina.3542

And those people have other options.

• Make money (minor traits are only 10silver each, plus skill points)
  • Unlock trait by hunting down and completing requirement
  • Buy gems and convert to gold

I’m sure many will jump on the last option mentioned above. Whatever. It is the game we play in and we do so by choice. But before anyone goes all dramatic anti-gemshop on me. PLEASE remember that there are options for all players – whether they be new players or just another alt for veteran players.

1. How? They lack the skill points for even adept traits, and they don’t have access to the money-making systems yet. And, they don’t know how the traits play out, so have no idea what’s worth their time and money or not.
2. Except the requirements are on the wrong side of the world, or well above their level. And, they don’t even have traits yet, because they’re not yet level 35. And even after that, they don’t have enough to play around with what the system has to offer until level 70+. Leveling is dull and unrewarding, with 60 completely dead levels.
3. New players don’t spend money on the Gemshop – they’re still new, and trying out the game to see whether it’s worth actually investing more than the minimum in. Pay-To-Win (Which is what you’re suggesting) is the #1 way to drive new players away from the game.

new character = no fun?

Azhure.1857

1. How? They lack the skill points for even adept traits, and they don’t have access to the money-making systems yet. And, they don’t know how the traits play out, so have no idea what’s worth their time and money or not.
2. Except the requirements are on the wrong side of the world, or well above their level. And, they don’t even have traits yet, because they’re not yet level 35. And even after that, they don’t have enough to play around with what the system has to offer until level 70+. Leveling is dull and unrewarding, with 60 completely dead levels.
3. New players don’t spend money on the Gemshop – they’re still new, and trying out the game to see whether it’s worth actually investing more than the minimum in. Pay-To-Win (Which is what you’re suggesting) is the #1 way to drive new players away from the game.

1) By the time they can purchase traits, if that’s the route they take, they have skill points. As far as not knowing what is what — I do believe they (being new players) can research traits/builds OR… heaven forbid…. play a new game with reckless abandon and learn to play by doing just that – playing it.
2) We’ve been spoiled, haven’t we? So used to getting what we want, when we want it. A little patience would go a long way. Again if its a trait or series of traits that one HAS to have immediately, there are options of doing just that. Your argument almost seems self-defeating. You say leveling is unrewarding, yet you have to level in order to be rewarded. Go figure.
3) First off, I wasn’t “suggesting” it as the best option. However it IS an option. Also where do you get your facts that new players don’t use the gem shop?

Most of the people, as far as I can see, that are against the current trait system aren’t new players. Yet you’re using new players as your main argument against said system. I would like to hear more feedback from those players themselves. Don’t think it would be as bad as we’re all making it out to be. Just try to imagine if this current trait system had been implemented at launch. Would you truly feel as if you’re being cheated then? You’d have nothing to compare it to.

new character = no fun?

Sartharina.3542

1) By the time they can purchase traits, if that’s the route they take, they have skill points. As far as not knowing what is what — I do believe they (being new players) can research traits/builds OR… heaven forbid…. play a new game with reckless abandon and learn to play by doing just that – playing it.
2) We’ve been spoiled, haven’t we? So used to getting what we want, when we want it. A little patience would go a long way. Again if its a trait or series of traits that one HAS to have immediately, there are options of doing just that. Your argument almost seems self-defeating. You say leveling is unrewarding, yet you have to level in order to be rewarded. Go figure.
3) First off, I wasn’t “suggesting” it as the best option. However it IS an option. Also where do you get your facts that new players don’t use the gem shop?

Most of the people, as far as I can see, that are against the current trait system aren’t new players. Yet you’re using new players as your main argument against said system. I would like to hear more feedback from those players themselves. Don’t think it would be as bad as we’re all making it out to be. Just try to imagine if this current trait system had been implemented at launch. Would you truly feel as if you’re being cheated then? You’d have nothing to compare it to.

1. Maybe one or two, but not enough to play with the system, and certainly not enough to ‘jump right in’, as the system advertises itself as.
2. Leveling from 1-70 isn’t rewarding – in fact, it’s the opposite: When you level, instead of getting an upgrade, you merely make your gear start to suck more, especially as you get downscaled. It puts the emphasis on Rushing to Level 80, instead of enjoying the progression of leveling. 60 dead levels sucks, no matter what system you’re using.
3. Experience when dealing with and being a new player.

4.Actually – I’d have plenty to compare it to. Any other MMO out there. Any other CRPG out there. Any other Tabletop RPG out there. I already do compare it to other systems. 60 dead levels is a “No, I’ll take my money elsewhere” deal. THe only reason I still play the game is because Charr remain awesome despite the developer’s attempts to screw them over.

new character = no fun?

Azhure.1857

Yeah, well, its best not to view the Manifesto these days. They no longer follow it.

I’m afraid we shall have to agree to disagree on what is and isn’t rewarding. I’m a veteran player and I find leveling this new alt to be fun. More challenging but still fun.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

/sarcasm on
/sarcasm off

That’s IF you unlock every trait. Quite a few builds I’ve used dont need every single trait unlocked, just the handful you need for the build.

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

im sorry but you say imagine the new trait system from the eyes of a new player… how about this. imagine the old trait system from the eyes of a new player which I was 5 months ago!!!!!!! I liked getting a level and just unlocking a variety of traits. I just came from a game that was grind grind do this or gtfo.
the entire reason I started gw2 was because I could just jump in skip the low lever things and go straight to max lvl and then enjoy myself without having to struggle now its just as bad as any mmo out there……….
I have already explored the map and finished the living story on one character, now I just want to try all the other professions and have fun. not slave away for hours making money and tediously gathering skillpoints, I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THAT KITTEN I am here for the parts of the game I find fun not to sit here smashing my head against the keyboard slowly walking around the world waiting for that one event to happen or find all the skillpoints just for traits (keep in mind utilities cost skillpoints too)
there was NOTHING stopping you from exploring and using the map to lvl your character before the change but now the people who hate that are FORCED into your gaming style

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Nobody cares, most players are 80 here with cash to back up their time wasted

I’d be up for chatting but…you need to have pathetic looking tardy legendaries

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Champ boxes give infinite skill points you can transfer between characters makes skills super easy to get I’m honestly more worried about the gold to gem ration being completely to high now it is 100g for mini sets which almost completely removes the collectability without $$$$$.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

greetz exp

Doing one or two characters like that may be fun, but imagining doing with all 8 toons with this new trait system…
Just horrible…

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Champ boxes give infinite skill points you can transfer between characters makes skills super easy to get I’m honestly more worried about the gold to gem ration being completely to high now it is 100g for mini sets which almost completely removes the collectability without $$$$$.

You aren’t supposed to collect them all without $$$. I think that’s fair. Supporters of the game should get some perks.

I have already explored the map and finished the living story on one character, now I just want to try all the other professions and have fun. not slave away for hours making money and tediously gathering skillpoints, I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THAT KITTEN I am here for the parts of the game I find fun not to sit here smashing my head against the keyboard slowly walking around the world waiting for that one event to happen or find all the skillpoints just for traits (keep in mind utilities cost skillpoints too)
there was NOTHING stopping you from exploring and using the map to lvl your character before the change but now the people who hate that are FORCED into your gaming style

Use em gems. Buy them!

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I honestly have no idea how it’s possible for anyone to have trouble getting skill points. Every single time you level up that’s a skill point.

-confused-

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

you cant buy skillpoints

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

and yes I can get skill points from champ trains and exploring but guess what… THATS GRINDING AND BORING the entire reason this new system is bad and ruined all the fun… the skill points you gain from levelling are only enough to buy the utilities you need or a fraction of the skills.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I think Anet really dropped the ball with this whole new trait system which really punishes new players.

What they should have done was keep the normal traits unlocked (and free) and add in new elite skills which cost, say, 50 skill points and 3g each (or you could go out and kill said boss to capture said elite if you wanted it for free)

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

I honestly have no idea how it’s possible for anyone to have trouble getting skill points. Every single time you level up that’s a skill point.

-confused-

Skill points are accumulated over time. Some people have a few hundred skill points on their other characters but when you start a new character, you began with nothing. You need those skill point to unlock new skills, you wouldn’t want to waste them on getting traits that you can otherwise get for free.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I personally preferred the old system rather than this new one even thou I personally have hardly been effected by it.

I already had 8×80′s, 1 of each class before it was implemented and 1 lvl 2 Asura which I used for PvP only, just re-rolled whenever I wanted to do PvP with a different character class, I always wanted to PvP with a Asura you see because its a advantage being so small. This new trait system ended that and I deleted the lvl 2 character and just have a empty character class slot now.

I am only going to ever going to create a new character now if Anet introduce a brand new class. The new trait system completely puts me off creating a new character and probably puts other players off too.

They need to revert it back to the old system, but Anet WILL NEVER DO THIS.

Or

Give it a makeover, to make it more friendly, especially to new players. Slight possibility of them doing this.

new character = no fun?

Azhure.1857

@ozzy. Your point, if you were to have one, would carry more weight if you weren’t raging and using all caps just to try to win some sort of argument. The frustration is understandable. However all I can get from your posts is that you want to be instantly 80 and at endgame gameplay, which currently in this game is nothing but the evil “grind” you so desperately want to avoid in the lower levels.

You don’t want it to be so time consuming and grindy so you can get to the endgame grind and time sink that much faster.

In one way you could say it means more to get a character to lvl 80 and traited now, which I like personally. I like the challenge. However compared to what it was so recently I know it doesn’t seem fair.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

They should have make trait unlock account wide. Unlock conditions seem to be same for all classes. I don’t like that idea I have to repeat something I have already done, pretty annoying if you have many characters.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

It’s fun for me. Deleted my old Necromancer to restart another from the beginning just to experience everything as a “new” player. It simply forces you to explore traits you perhaps didn’t consider using in the past, given the way you slowly acquire them. You can always buy them, true, but my goal is to get them all by hunting them down. I also noticed I didn’t “need” any specific traits to survive or do well (ironically has been among the most smoothest leveling experiences among all my characters, but then again I am also more experienced by now, and Necromancer survives well, IMHO-also the required Dungeon Story modes seem so much easier now.) I can only see this being a problem for those who can’t be bothered to do some of the more annoying requirements and/or would be bothered repeating the same for all their other characters, but that’s why we get the choice to acquire all of them with books (I wouldn’t recommend doing this for most players, and especially new players.) I have not had any bad experience other than being “forced” to do the Obsidian Sanctum puzzle, but I got it out of the way without a Mesmer cheat a few days back (a friendly enemy helped, but I didn’t fall too much as is my wont.)

I also feel that the Edge of the Mists requirements need a bit of luck to get them, as in being there at the right time. While you can easily befriend Hyleks/Ogres/Dredge on Eternal Battlegrounds even solo, the others require your groups force to go conquer 3 specific places which they may have already conquered or have no necessary inclination (or power) to do so.

I also agree that some of the requirements do need some revising, even if they were well-intentioned. But it’s not nearly as bad for me as it is for some people (this is my 8th character, and all the others have all traits.)

I vehemently disagree that this change is “bad” for new players. They are innocent, and know no better. With their second and third character, maybe if they dislike some of the content (by then hopefully they can buy the traits they wish.) And this would be a non-issue had it been the system from the beginning.

Still level 77, and haven’t bought a single trait manual, but my concluding comments is that leveling so far has been a)easier, not harder, b)helped by the megaserver, and c)quite a bit of fun as you complete every step towards your next trait. I don’t think that with the way the game works today you will miss most of the traits that much. The only problem I see is that experimenting will be a bit limited until you get a high enough amount of traits and until level 80, but a good consequence of this is that you will be “forced” to use some traits that you may have otherwise skipped over, since you may not get all of the ones you want right away. Also, to be fair players have way more freedom to experiment once at 80 anyway, even with the old system.

You will be surprised at how different humans can be from each other-it is futile to expect that everybody must think the way we do.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

… With the excess of gold in the game – a gold sink or two are welcome.

New players don’t have excess gold.

Nor do I have any trouble with skill points, in fact I have more than I need… WHEN I need them.

Not possible, a few posts back someone added up how much skill points are needed to but all traits and skills. You might be cherry-picking them because you know what you want, but new players do not. Expect to see more and more new players getting crushed in high level area’s.

You don’t need every trait and skill at the moment of your character’s creation. Think about what you will actually use and what you won’t – then go from there.

Players new to the game will not know what traits and skills their characters need. This is Factions all over again, they never learn.

new character = no fun?

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

I really like the idea they had when making these changes. But once again, they came out over the top. There are lvl30 traits which have as requirement to explore lvl80 zones. WTF?

No, they changed that last patch. Now you need to complete specific events for those traits.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

It’s fun for me. Deleted my old Necromancer to restart another from the beginning just to experience everything as a “new” player. It simply forces you to explore traits you perhaps didn’t consider using in the past, given the way you slowly acquire them. You can always buy them, true, but my goal is to get them all by hunting them down. I also noticed I didn’t “need” any specific traits to survive or do well (ironically has been among the most smoothest leveling experiences among all my characters, but then again I am also more experienced by now, and Necromancer survives well, IMHO-also the required Dungeon Story modes seem so much easier now.) I can only see this being a problem for those who can’t be bothered to do some of the more annoying requirements and/or would be bothered repeating the same for all their other characters, but that’s why we get the choice to acquire all of them with books (I wouldn’t recommend doing this for most players, and especially new players.) I have not had any bad experience other than being “forced” to do the Obsidian Sanctum puzzle, but I got it out of the way without a Mesmer cheat a few days back (a friendly enemy helped, but I didn’t fall too much as is my wont.)

I also feel that the Edge of the Mists requirements need a bit of luck to get them, as in being there at the right time. While you can easily befriend Hyleks/Ogres/Dredge on Eternal Battlegrounds even solo, the others require your groups force to go conquer 3 specific places which they may have already conquered or have no necessary inclination (or power) to do so.

I also agree that some of the requirements do need some revising, even if they were well-intentioned. But it’s not nearly as bad for me as it is for some people (this is my 8th character, and all the others have all traits.)

I vehemently disagree that this change is “bad” for new players. They are innocent, and know no better. With their second and third character, maybe if they dislike some of the content (by then hopefully they can buy the traits they wish.) And this would be a non-issue had it been the system from the beginning.

Still level 77, and haven’t bought a single trait manual, but my concluding comments is that leveling so far has been a)easier, not harder, b)helped by the megaserver, and c)quite a bit of fun as you complete every step towards your next trait. I don’t think that with the way the game works today you will miss most of the traits that much. The only problem I see is that experimenting will be a bit limited until you get a high enough amount of traits and until level 80, but a good consequence of this is that you will be “forced” to use some traits that you may have otherwise skipped over, since you may not get all of the ones you want right away. Also, to be fair players have way more freedom to experiment once at 80 anyway, even with the old system.

You will be surprised at how different humans can be from each other-it is futile to expect that everybody must think the way we do.

I’m not saying everyone shares my point of view and I never did, this is just how I feel and how some others that I know feel

you may enjoy it but how long did it take you?. to me it means nothing just that I had less of a life and stayed indoors for a longer time to get to 80.

what I once could get done in a day and then get back to things now will take weeks/months to complete that’s time I cant play with my guild in wvw because my character is useless, that’s time I cant do a dungeon if I want to because my character is useless

again I will say what attracted me to gw2 was that you could skip the months of grind for the end product and enjoy the game, now it is no different to everything else

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

I caps because many people take things with a grain of salt and look over major points from your comment you must have noticed the parts in caps thus it worked

new character = no fun?

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

You can use boldface and italics to emphasize parts of your text

new character = no fun?

ozzy.8059

You can use boldface and italics to emphasize parts of your text

meh…