new idea for gathering: random events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

many of you will recognize the phrase “random events” from runescape, and the idea is much the same here. there are alot of things runescape did that i think gw2 should do (since i beleive anything jagex did anet can do better). for those of you who dont know though the idea is simple, performing simple actions results in unexpected (and very infrequent) events that yeild unusual rewards.

for example: lets say you go to mine some ore and instead when you go to hit the rock you get no ore and a champion rock elemental rises up from the stones, triggering a group event where you have to kill it. as a reward you (and anyone else who participated enough to get a drop from it) will get some unusual ore or minerals

there would be 3 kinds of rock elemental (depending on the level of the area your in, tin, coal, and primordium which each drop the respected ore. you also have a chance of getting one of several unusually shaped rocks that each builds into a peice of heavy armor when crafted.

there are rules: once the event is activated that particular mining node cant be mined by anyone till the champion is dead and only one of these events can exist in any zone at a time.

and picture the same thing for trees, except its a tree spirit champion, the armor you craft from it is bark (medium) and its rewards include a nature amulet (which comes in all levels and has a chance of making any tree you chop down spread seeds and instantly grow 3 new temporary tree nodes around you. and also new rare woad wood weapons

the plant equivlent would be a man eating plant who drops peices to craft a leaf suit of armor (light) and a strange fruit that gives you unlimited endurance for 2 minutes aswell as health regen and swiftness

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I like the idea if the servers were populated enough. Sadly they are not.

Most Champion level events go undone in areas outside of Queensdale and Frostgorge due to lack of participation in those areas on the majority of servers.

Ideally they should randomize most events, including world boss spawns along with their locations.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe if they had such ‘random events’, the maps would not be so desolate.

I think it sounds like a great idea. =)

Duke Nukem.6783

I like the idea if the servers were populated enough. Sadly they are not.

Most Champion level events go undone in areas outside of Queensdale and Frostgorge due to lack of participation in those areas on the majority of servers.

Ideally they should randomize most events, including world boss spawns along with their locations.

i think the unique rewards (combined with my sincere hope that the champ trains will get nerfed soon because they are killing this game) will be enough to get people into these areas and exploring!

i think there would even be people hunting these events intentionally for the unique rewards

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Anything just to get people out of towns where they afk and do nothing.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like the idea but like everyone else I don’t think it would work in practice.

I go to the North West corner of Bloodtide Coast to mine gold ore and I often see the Champion Deep Sea Shark event active when I get there. I’ll always call it out in /map as I arrive and 9 times out of 10 by the time I’ve finished my circuit of all the nodes in the area (5+ depending on node locations) no one has shown up or even responded.

The only time I’ve seen more than 3 people turn up was when I happened to be on the main Desolation map between two wurm attempts, there were a lot of people waiting to try again with not much to do in between.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Duke Nukem.6783

I like the idea but like everyone else I don’t think it would work in practice.

I go to the North West corner of Bloodtide Coast to mine gold ore and I often see the Champion Deep Sea Shark event active when I get there. I’ll always call it out in /map as I arrive and 9 times out of 10 by the time I’ve finished my circuit of all the nodes in the area (5+ depending on node locations) no one has shown up or even responded.

The only time I’ve seen more than 3 people turn up was when I happened to be on the main Desolation map between two wurm attempts, there were a lot of people waiting to try again with not much to do in between.

these are the types of updates that need to happen to get people out of queensdale (that and increase the cooldown on champions)

Duke Nukem.6783

im gana bump this cuz i really like the idea and i want people to get in on it

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I am very familiar with that game you mentioned and how/why they had such events for gathering. Basically it was to try and stop bots. I am not sure it would work here or would be wanted. It wouldn’t be for bots here, it just seems like you want some sort of new event types for gathering nodes.

If you want events go do events, I think most people just farming nodes would not want this idea implemented. However some people just gathering as they go along might. Apart from that your rewards are far too similar to certain items that other game gives for other activities. Now if you had suggested that game’s version of treasure hunts (clues) I would of course supported 100%! :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Duke Nukem.6783

bawhumpity bump bump

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

bawhumpity bump bump

Oh btw I wouldn’t bump so much here, I tried that once and got my first infraction. These guys don’t allow us to do that here unlike that other game and their forums.

Just a friendly warning.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Duke Nukem.6783

I am very familiar with that game you mentioned and how/why they had such events for gathering. Basically it was to try and stop bots. I am not sure it would work here or would be wanted. It wouldn’t be for bots here, it just seems like you want some sort of new event types for gathering nodes.

If you want events go do events, I think most people just farming nodes would not want this idea implemented. However some people just gathering as they go along might. Apart from that your rewards are far too similar to certain items that other game gives for other activities. Now if you had suggested that game’s version of treasure hunts (clues) I would of course supported 100%! :P

i think that the people who gather exclusivley are a very small percentage and considering that only one of these can exist on any map at any time they only lose ONE node per run (at most, they would probally lose nothing) so they are not worth considering. and the rewards dont need to be too unique, its a throwback for sure.

but yea i too would love clue scrolls in gw2 =)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Invasions anyone?

Duke Nukem.6783

Invasions anyone?

u mean scarlet’s invasions? those are fairly random i guess but on way too big a scale

Duke Nukem.6783

Invasions anyone?

or r u saying these would invade the world……hmmm u rly cuda been more clear =p

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

I like this idea. Just change champ to elite and give a rich vein load of loot and we are in business.

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I dont know if I was mining ori in orr and I got tin instead because of one of these random events, i’d be kinda mad.

Besides weaponsmithing and armorsmithing are the only professions that these would really apply to. Maybe Jeweler. What are we gonna have a monster made out of string for tailors? How would it even spawn? What about for leatherworkers?

Regardless of the idea, you’ve only thought about how it would benefit you and not the rest of players crafting different items. These events dropping the materials you can buy from merchants in town is kind of useless too. You’re paying like 5 silver at most, which isnt a lot at level 80. A few gold can be made quickly enough to cover the cost of this.

nopoet.2960

… What are we gonna have a monster made out of string for tailors? How would it even spawn? What about for leatherworkers?…

I just want to add my support to string and leather monsters. Animated dolls perhaps?

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

Last time I played a game where the end game was focused on hitting rocks (AoC) I quit and many others did too… I know it’s not exactly the same idea, but just sayin…

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

OMG please no. I played Runescape for 10 years, and the randoms drove me nuts. They didn’t even get rid of the bots properly as they should have done in the first place – in the end it was just a nuisance for all players :-/

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

nopoet.2960

OMG please no. I played Runescape for 10 years, and the randoms drove me nuts. They didn’t even get rid of the bots properly as they should have done in the first place – in the end it was just a nuisance for all players :-/

What if they made the loot worth it like a huge load of the resources that you were trying to gather and special gathering tools that give bonuses to getting rare items?

For example if you are gathering from a ancient sapling an ancient treent (elite) spawned and tried to stop you (my experience is that elites are solaoble if you are careful). If you win you get like 50 ancient logs a few hidden treasures and an axe that has +25 to fining rare material. If you loose it protects the node it came from but creates an event so other people know its there.

Duke Nukem.6783

I dont know if I was mining ori in orr and I got tin instead because of one of these random events, i’d be kinda mad.

Besides weaponsmithing and armorsmithing are the only professions that these would really apply to. Maybe Jeweler. What are we gonna have a monster made out of string for tailors? How would it even spawn? What about for leatherworkers?

Regardless of the idea, you’ve only thought about how it would benefit you and not the rest of players crafting different items. These events dropping the materials you can buy from merchants in town is kind of useless too. You’re paying like 5 silver at most, which isnt a lot at level 80. A few gold can be made quickly enough to cover the cost of this.

as for your first point i was expecting that (and i think i mentioned somewhere in there) that the rewards would scale based on what area you were in, but i am willing to say the current crafting system didnt leave me much room to make rewards so if you wana suggest some new ones im all ears

Duke Nukem.6783

… What are we gonna have a monster made out of string for tailors? How would it even spawn? What about for leatherworkers?…

I just want to add my support to string and leather monsters. Animated dolls perhaps?

oooooh thats a good idea! perhaps they could spawn while you were refining materials

Duke Nukem.6783

gathering is pretty easy i think you can handle a little nuisance

Duke Nukem.6783

What if they made the loot worth it like a huge load of the resources that you were trying to gather and special gathering tools that give bonuses to getting rare items?

For example if you are gathering from a ancient sapling an ancient treent (elite) spawned and tried to stop you (my experience is that elites are solaoble if you are careful). If you win you get like 50 ancient logs a few hidden treasures and an axe that has +25 to fining rare material. If you loose it protects the node it came from but creates an event so other people know its there.

this would help with loot and complainers but i still think all new content should expand the game not just keep it linear with new ways to do old things