new maps are just regular sized.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arc.5862

Arc.5862

So the demo map is 1/3 the size of the actual map and corresponds pretty well to 1/3 of any of the old maps. As well, the demo gives you an overworld look at the xpack are which seems to be about the same size as HoT’s overworld. Mounts make the world feel even smaller from there.

Anet just gotta keep breaking my heart. peace

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

The size of the first map is 3 1/2 times that of normal maps as Wooden Potatoes and That Shaman have shown on their vids.

Posted by: shinjin.3924

shinjin.3924

I am also disappointed from this preview… there is literally nothing to do in this preview,just have a look on a city ( we see tons of them daily ) and a race with raptors.. everything else is locked.

Fors us maybe that we play the game and know gw2,is something we can understand,but since new players are able to try it out,it is so disappointing,people have to run randomly with raptors,than join a city and stop there.. none would ever buy pof like that.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

Yeah, I’ve loved everything so far… the problem is that there isn’t much stuff here.

Hoping next weekend will be better(should be with the new specs).

Posted by: toffin.5032

toffin.5032

Its a preview, not the full expansion… It is like giving you a big watermelon and saying you can only have access to a small slice, knowing if you were to be given access to the whole thing you would eat it all up.

Asuran CM~Bulldog~ Guild: Slackers Incorporated [INC] Back from a 3 year hiatus!
Server: Jade Quarry | Recruitment: Open

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

The map does seem quite big to me, but in my opinion it matches the concern I had, that these maps are just big to accommodate mounts. I know it’s a desert and all, but it just feels like a big open map of nothing, I know it’s personal preference, but to me the map just seems really boring and not interesting. It just feels like the empty spaces have been stretched out make more area/distance to justify using a mount.

Posted by: Palimow.6342

Palimow.6342

I went to find the leaked picture of the map in an effort to try and contradict you but i found you to be correct. It is disappointing, however, it may just be this is the smallest map in the xpac and the others are large?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Those hydra.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

This is a small portion of the map, its a demo? We cant even see the full map what are you talking about?

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Posted by: Axl.8924

Axl.8924

Part of what makes heart of thorns so great is that its layered with things to do big open areas to explore with monsters everywhere and all that.The world does seem a lot flatter and gliding is less a thing of importance here.There seem to be a lot of events so far going around i dunno its comparable maybe to the very first map in scale from heart of thorns silver wastes.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you’re going to compare map sizes then use the full map and not just what’s available in the demo.

Attachments:

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

If you’re going to compare map sizes then use the full map and not just what’s available in the demo.

I was trying to find that screenshot, it looks much bigger than regular maps this way. How are people not realizing we can only see part of the map.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Even without the full picture… they would just have to look at the title of the map, it’s always centered vertically and horizontally. The fact the title appears on the right of the explorable area for the demo shows that we’re only getting half of the map.

And so yeah. OP’s statement is wrong.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The map does seem quite big to me, but in my opinion it matches the concern I had, that these maps are just big to accommodate mounts. I know it’s a desert and all, but it just feels like a big open map of nothing, I know it’s personal preference, but to me the map just seems really boring and not interesting. It just feels like the empty spaces have been stretched out make more area/distance to justify using a mount.

WOW style maps, as I feared. Horrible.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

martin.1653

Next time before you try to be smart, at least think about it for a second. I put the screenshots for a reason. And if you really think me or anyone else would miss big fat red border that blocks part of the map then I don’t know what to say to you. I didn’t state anything regarding the size of the map, just put two maps side by side with equal amount of zoom. The picture you put, alone tells absolutely nothing.

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

I was trying to find that screenshot, it looks much bigger than regular maps this way. How are people not realizing we can only see part of the map.

Where’s the fun in not getting to complain about stuff that’s not even real?

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

Next time before you try to be smart, at least think about it for a second. I put the screenshots for a reason. And if you really think me or anyone else would miss big fat red border that blocks part of the map then I don’t know what to say to you. I didn’t state anything regarding the size of the map, just put two maps side by side with equal amount of zoom. The picture you put, alone tells absolutely nothing.

But the map you posted is missing a ton of content compared to the actual version that will go live. Where’s the point in posting that as a comparison? OP was complaining about the size and you posted this as a comparison, most people would see that as an argument for OP’s case, which in this case is completely off base.

Posted by: Alwayshappy.2549

Alwayshappy.2549

But the map you posted is missing a ton of content compared to the actual version that will go live. Where’s the point in posting that as a comparison? OP was complaining about the size and you posted this as a comparison, most people would see that as an argument for OP’s case, which in this case is completely off base.

It was pretty obvious to me that he meant it this way: ’’Here’s the entire region of Queensdale’’…just compare it to the part of the map that’s playable atm….even then the maps are already about the same size…just imagine he wasn’t comparing it to the whole (new) zone. Plus…everybody can see the map continues to the east ^^

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

The layered nature of the hot maps also makes them a pain to navigate, personally happy with something more flat again.

martin.1653

Where’s the point? Point is that it shows the size comparison of playable area and whole Queensdale. You don’t have to put 2 full maps to compare sizes. Size comparisons work in mysterious ways, even partial maps can be compared to full maps. Crazy, I know.