new weapon set (see link), and your thoughts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

See Dulfy’s link. And be sure to check out the comments.

http://dulfy.net/2014/09/30/gw2-tempest-weapon-skins-gallery/

my thought: look pretty, but better if only those actually look like weapons.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

And more for the Gemstore! …

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not really my style. If I wanted one, though, I’d buy with gold. Black lion keys probably aren’t worth the investment.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Not my style. I like a simpler weapon style. Like the HoM longbow is my favorite longbow in the game.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

not ugly… but that weapons id use got (like expected at the overall tone of the set) no barrel, trigger and look overall like swords held the wrong way. Well made? Certainly. Worth the gems? If its your style for sure. Will i buy it? Nope, more for rustical weapons.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not my style (just as the Wintersday, Sclerite, Lovestruck, Leyline and many, many other sets were not my style), but I think players who were after a “wind” motif for their characters will be very, very happy, so good for them.

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

they could be worse, they could have ribbons
…………….oh wait.
well, they could look like something i drew when i was 5?
……………………………..guess it cant get much worse
needless to say, i won’t be getting them, not even to make a profit

Fix what you have before you build something new

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I love my new tempest daggers and shortbow for my thief
Got finally the wind weapons that I always wanted and searched for since start of the game

Together with a Wind Catcher/ Light of Dwayna and that legendary sword Bolt, these weapons will surely look awesome as a set for a Thief for the Wind/Lightning Style that I try to aim for my Thief as a character born under the Protection of Dwayna – the Goddess of Wind … just need then only for perfection the Lover and get all dwayna item skins to get the Acolyte of Dwayna title to show my dedication to my most beloved GW goddess

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I would really like it if they designed a new style in the style of the krytan weapons. Those at least look pretty close to actual weapons and have a nice detail to them. I`m not too fond of the new set. Bring more weapons skins from prophecies into the game.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I want one, but only have one ticket. I can’t decide which skin to get…

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I want one, but only have one ticket. I can’t decide which skin to get…

go with something that your main character uses.
I can say only that the daggers/shortbow/longbow look awesome.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

yayh, the new farmville weapons are out. . .

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I’m sick and tired of all the wispy, curly, cutesy weapons. I would like some weapon sets that look like weapons. There are a LOT of skins from GW1 even that they could recycle that look very cool and look like real weapons.

I’m happy to buy a skin when I like them, but give me some that I actually like.

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

great, another set of twirly weapons with some slapdash particle effect added, we really needed another set of those.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

yyyyyyyyyno.

I liked chaos better. These look a bit too flourish for me.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

As some one that plays a male Norn most of these weapons look bad for my aesthetic taste; the only skin I really showed interest in back in the day was the Phoenix Hammer since it actually looked like a Hammer as opposed to a staff.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Now players can be like in Zelda games, windwaker thingy…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

quaniesan.8497

seems like nowadays they think weapons just are another decoration accessories more so than actual weapons. A random stick + some random particle effect = woww it’s so beautiful -_-
In some games i can name, i believe ithere are artists out there who can create something cool by investing in a combination of ornated designs, the flow of ornate decoration and the shape of weapons instead of resorting to a cheap and quick way to make something eye-catching.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

seems like nowadays they think weapons just are another decoration accessories more so than actual weapons. A random stick + some random particle effect = woww it’s so beautiful -_-
In some games i can name, i believe ithere are artists out there who can create something cool by investing in a combination of ornated designs, the flow of ornate decoration and the shape of weapons instead of resorting to a cheap and quick way to make something eye-catching.

I hardly think the tempest weapons were cheap and quick to make.

At the very least you should respect the investment of the artist in creating something for the game, even if you personally don’t like it.

to some people, the wind blade might hit a sweet spot. I personally liked the effort put into the ley line weapons. I don’t think they did the tempest ones cheaply though. They’re pretty, just not for me.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I like the weapons and would enjoy playing with them on my characters. Unfortunately since a) I do not buy/farm keys and b) out of roughly 50-75 chests opened to date I have received 1 ticket (spent) and 7 scraps. So, I will never be able to own one. It’s really not a big deal to me since my characters are already outfitted with skins I like.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Over the top and, frankly speaking, a bit silly.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Not my style. Much better then those kitten chaos skins however.

And tbh with Halloween coming up it would be silly to invest in these skins.

HOWEVER, I will give them credit in that we finally got an element other then god kitten fire.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

They look so ridiculously fragile.

Then again, I’m one of those crazy people that likes more practical looking gear.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

In for a staff for my Elementalist. Hope you guys who dislike them find something more to your taste in the next set.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Some are nice while some are not which is much better than the last set!

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They remind me of Larry Niven’s “Warlock” stories. In them, the main character creates a glass dagger and enchants it, only to be asked “What good is a glass dagger?”.

When the magic is stripped from the dagger to make it useless, the response was to stab his opponent with it. His answer to the question was “A dagger always works.”

These are pretty, but I can’t see my characters trusting to a dagger (or sword, ect) that can’t function as such without a lot of fancy magic. I guess the staff could still be used to beat someone with, at least.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s nice….if i can get them in-game as a reward and not by grinding for gold or farming keys, make missions and have tokens as a reward so ppl can choose what they want……….

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Still waiting for a hammer skin that actually looks like a war hammer. The Super Hammer Skin is the only closest thing outside of the other overly done huge hammers that are found in most mmorpgs.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

From a practical point of view? They don’t look very sturdy. Gives me the impression that they are more ceremonial then made for actually using in a real fight…
Then again, I don’t play video games for their practicality either.
Plus, if you are on a class that uses weapons, but never actually physically hits enemies with them (like say, an Elementalist) then said weapons could be made with more aesthetics in mind, rather then practicality.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)

Asmodeus.5782

Still waiting for a hammer skin that actually looks like a war hammer. The Super Hammer Skin is the only closest thing outside of the other overly done huge hammers that are found in most mmorpgs.

The Kodan one is fine, not too huge and looks almost practical.

William S. Burroughs

quaniesan.8497

I’m not saying this particular new set look bad. The design is neat, especially for the pillars or in your new mansion or a get-well card . As a weapon? not so much, maybe except the staff or scepter..magic related things that need not physical contact. I agree with folks’ responses, the trend of weapons designs no longer consider a weapon as a weapon, but an ornament hanging on your character, sparkling, flowy, curly, floating, and somehow shoot a bullet or crush enemy with blunt force. If you like your characters running around to be decorated with nice sparking little things like a Christmas tree, by all means, these are THE STUFF, nice and flashy. For a dragon-slaying hero in Anet’s lore, I love to have something more …. practical, as silly as it might sounds. The last things that has intricately ornated design without flashy thingy on it is the legendary shield …. in its towed state and the hilt of Sunrise.

(edited by quaniesan.8497)

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I think they’re ok… if you’re a mesmer or a fluffy pink guardian. I find it always disheartening to not have much choice when it comes to really cool looking weapon-looking weapons… sigh. Well I still got 3 of them with BL tix I had waiting in my bank. I’ll sit on them for a year and sell them for big coin… the only way to make real money in this game while still “playing the way I want”.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I just LOVED the daggers and grabbed one! But… then again, GemStore-related skins are growing in numbers and they are no match for several freebies released in-game. It’s a disappointment, in a few months we’ll have 2x or 3x the number of lvl80 decent skins inside GemStore. Kind of a letdown.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

i still wait for a watchwork themed set of weapons… like the mining pick just actual weapons…. and right away armor in that style too. I rest my case.

Edit: whipped something up quickly in the style id love to see in game. I didnt bother to detail sculpt it and texture it cause its just an example and it was made in 1 hour or so without much thought put into it…but whatever… one can dream id say lol

Attachments:

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Been a while since I actually wanted to spend my black lion tickets – I think most of the set is gorgeous. Makes me wish my elementalist could use more weapon types!

I’d just promised to myself to start saving up gold again too… sigh

I’m really really frankly surprised to see all this negative feedback.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Meh I don’t mind the look too much.
I’ll probably get a dagger or scepter for my Elementalist.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

You won’t regret! Someone told me there would be a windy “woosh” sound when drawing the weapon, but I couldn’t hear anything other than the normal sound.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

You won’t regret! Someone told me there would be a windy “woosh” sound when drawing the weapon, but I couldn’t hear anything other than the normal sound.

I suspect it may be bugged. The volume is so stupidly low as to barely be heard I’m told.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Great, just when I’m broke. Very awesome set!

Posted by: viv.1892

viv.1892

The axe looks like a bouquet of flowers. Meh.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the looks of these things. I just can’t see most of my characters using them.

I might reconsider and grab the dagger for one of my elementalists. He currently uses toy daggers, and I’d miss the ribbons on them.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

Can I get weapons that actually looks like something made to kill things? Please. That’s why they call it weapons. They don’t have to be covered in blood by default, I can take care of this part myself.
Those… Tempest… things look like cheap, tacky jewelery that would break at the first sign of trouble.

Posted by: TheRiverBlues.2607

TheRiverBlues.2607

Can I get weapons that actually looks like something made to kill things? Please. That’s why they call it weapons. They don’t have to be covered in blood by default, I can take care of this part myself.
Those… Tempest… things look like cheap, tacky jewelery that would break at the first sign of trouble.

Here try these weapons, they are the “least tacky” weapons in the game!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Iron_weapons

Asmodeus.5782

TheRiver, I know her, and she actually considers some of them to be the best looking weapons in the game. And is hoping for more in this vein.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

If you don’t know that a weapon can be beautiful without being tacky I encourage you to look through some history of arms, you might be suprised ^^

Posted by: TheRiverBlues.2607

TheRiverBlues.2607

If you don’t know that a weapon can be beautiful without being tacky I encourage you to look through some history of arms, you might be suprised ^^

Why not post some examples?

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

Plus, if you are on a class that uses weapons, but never actually physically hits enemies with them (like say, an Elementalist) then said weapons could be made with more aesthetics in mind, rather then practicality.

if arena net did nothing other than give my elementalist an f5 bo-staff attunement i would shut up for once and gladly pay $50 for that “expansion”

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I love the axe personally

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I actually really like them.

Not enough to buy black lion keys, but if I ever get enough scraps from free keys this is one of the sets I’d consider.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Fashion Wars 2

Some will like it, others won’t. It’s all on preference and taste. I personally have been looking for a ‘pure magical’ greatsword skin – I play a mesmer, and mesmers don’t really use the GS in its conventional method.