no sense of progress

no sense of progress

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

yesterday i got a hoard chest from teq, and the day before that i got an exotic, and the day before that i got, well a spoon. what will i get today? who knows, but more to the point who cares? its the same thing every day and no matter how well i do or how lucky my drops it will be the same thing every day. the only sense of progress in this game is unlocking new skins

gw2 suffers from a distinct lack of any kind of progress, i do not feel myself getting more powerful or unlocking new abilities and what skills it does have all level up too quickly or are almost identical to eachother

no sense of progress

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

So theres this expansion that comes out in a month….

Youre complaint is not uncommon, this is how Anet wants to handle it. If you still arent happy, maybe the game isnt for you.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

no sense of progress

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

Many, many players, including me, enjoy exactly this more then anything else in this game, because it means you’ll never have to grind mindlessly, just to be competitive against other players, or to be able to join fractals, dungeons, or the new raids, whenever you feel the need to do so. If you need to be away from the game for a long time, you don’t go back with the dread feeling that you are miles away from the rest of the people in the game, and you need to grind your kitten off, just to be an competitive player again. Sorry, mate, I know many don’t like to hear this, but it sure sounds this game isnt made for you. Maybe you should take a look at the more traditional MMOs out there. As I said, enough players from the gw2 comunity like the way things are made in this direction, and its not likely Anet will change it, until this method is succesful and bring more new players every day.

Also the skills are anything, but identical to each other. Please, don’t try to reinforce your point with nonsense, because it accomplishes nothing more then discrediting your post.

(edited by Rain.7543)

no sense of progress

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Welcome to Fashion Wars 2. We like horizontal progression in these parts. Some of us are still kind of tiffed that they added an ascended tier of gear. If you are looking for vertical progression, there are probably a hundred other MMOs that will suit you better.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

no sense of progress

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree with all of what’s been said before.

One of the things I like most about this game is that there’s relatively little horizontal progression after level 80, which means almost everyone will hit a point where they don’t need to worry about what they have to do to chase the next bit of gear they need, or to unlock new skills or whatever and can simply play for fun.

But Anet are also aware that some players want that sense of progression so the expansion is adding a bunch of new progression in the form of masteries, which are intended to take quite a bit of time and effort to level up.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

no sense of progress

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s a horizontal progression game once you’ve done the Asc. bull gravy. When the horizontal progression in HoT debuts, there will be complaints about progressing takes too long. Watch for it.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

yesterday i got a hoard chest from teq, and the day before that i got an exotic, and the day before that i got, well a spoon. what will i get today? who knows, but more to the point who cares? its the same thing every day and no matter how well i do or how lucky my drops it will be the same thing every day. the only sense of progress in this game is unlocking new skins

gw2 suffers from a distinct lack of any kind of progress, i do not feel myself getting more powerful or unlocking new abilities and what skills it does have all level up too quickly or are almost identical to eachother

Well, the way GW2 is designed drops are meaningless to farm. There’s barely any “targeted” drops to be had in the entire game.

The only progress you’re going to get is from crafting. Period end of story. I to hate hate hate crafting, but that’s your choice. Craft or never get new things.

Diablo 3 had this exact problem too at launch because of the trading post. The drops rates must be stupidly low to support a multi server/gem conversion style of market.

Diablo 3 now has amazing drop rates because they removed the real life money trading post.

Gw2 will probably never remove the real money trading post. So your options are to get into crafting like i forced myself to (still hate it though) or get used to never improving your character unless you get extremely lucky drops.

Sorry but that’s the truth.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Progress will be handled my masteries when the expansion drops. Guild Wars 1 suffered from the same problem, except some of us considered it a selling point.

no sense of progress

Duke Nukem.6783

Many, many players, including me, enjoy exactly this more then anything else in this game, because it means you’ll never have to grind mindlessly, just to be competitive against other players, or to be able to join fractals, dungeons, or the new raids, whenever you feel the need to do so. If you need to be away from the game for a long time, you don’t go back with the dread feeling that you are miles away from the rest of the people in the game, and you need to grind your kitten off, just to be an competitive player again. Sorry, mate, I know many don’t like to hear this, but it sure sounds this game isnt made for you. Maybe you should take a look at the more traditional MMOs out there. As I said, enough players from the gw2 comunity like the way things are made in this direction, and its not likely Anet will change it, until this method is succesful and bring more new players every day.

Also the skills are anything, but identical to each other. Please, don’t try to reinforce your point with nonsense, because it accomplishes nothing more then discrediting your post.

…..you are mindlessly grinding, but the only difference is your not going anywhere =p

and yes all the skills are the same, you level them all the same way with the exact same recipes

no sense of progress

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

…..you are mindlessly grinding, but the only difference is your not going anywhere =p

and yes all the skills are the same, you level them all the same way with the exact same recipes

No. We’re having fun. Not grinding. You know…what a game is meant for.

no sense of progress

Duke Nukem.6783

by definition repeating an action over and over is grinding, if you find it fun, then your having fun, congratz, but its still be definition grinding

no sense of progress

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

by definition repeating an action over and over is grinding, if you find it fun, then your having fun, congratz, but its still be definition grinding

No, that is not the definition. That’s just playing the game. Grinding is when you do one particular thing over and over with the only purpose to gain something.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

I don’t feel it like grind, because Im having fun with it. Also I can stop do it it when it start feeling like grind months at a time, and still i will be competative to all other players, without having to grind something, just to get specific items, which in turn will grant me access to some specific content. Exactly this part, which is so annoying for me in other mmo’s, doesnt exist here.

Are we talking about combat skills or crafting skills? I was left under the impression, that OP is talking about combat skills, which are far from the same. The crafting skills are the same, yes.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But I’m not performing an action over and over again. I’m performing all sorts of actions, not just one. I’m not farming one dungeon would you could say it grinding. I’m doing world events, world completions, personal stories, minigames, WvW and some PvP even. I’m doing jumping puzzles.

In what world is that grinding?

Every copper I make goes to making the legendary I’m working on. Hell even the dungeon tokens I need are part dungeon and part PvP.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I recently went through the story achievements for bioluminescent armor (second half of LS2) and found I got a good feeling of progression from that. My character isn’t any stronger, but I had some new challenges to overcome, and a long list of boxes to tick.

Learning to do Fractals, and occasionally dungeons, is another thing I do/have done for a similar sense of progression. I like the progression being “what I know” as much as it is “what I have.”

Of course, the other side is nice, too, and I’m looking forward to HoT to address that.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

no sense of progress

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

After a while GW2 does seem to lack purpose. Regardless of if it’s pvp, wvw, or PVE almost every aspect just becomes meaningless repetition. Gear progression aside there is little character development, world influence, overall progression etc. While lore wise the game has depth, but from a player’s standpoint it doesn’t seem so, that’s always been my annoyance with GW2.

no sense of progress

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I found that improving my own personal skills with playing my character was a good feeling of progress. Finding harder fights, and learning to play to overcome them. Later on went for WvW and enjoyed it, and starting to appreciate PvP. Still a long way to go.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

no sense of progress

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

i kinda felt the same, i played like 30 hours and had my exotic gear, it was the strongest one atm, i just moved to another mmo, since gw2 clearly wasnt for me. Now i play pvp sometimes, because i dont always have time to play a match of dota. I also moved to another mmos, but still, playing 3 hours day, none takes more than 2 months to get the best gear available.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Grinding is repeating an action over an over again for an extrinsic reward (such as better gear or better looks or prestige).

Repeating an action over an over again for the intrinsic reward of the action itself is something else entirely.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I am grinding fun.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

i kinda felt the same, i played like 30 hours and had my exotic gear, it was the strongest one atm, i just moved to another mmo, since gw2 clearly wasnt for me. Now i play pvp sometimes, because i dont always have time to play a match of dota. I also moved to another mmos, but still, playing 3 hours day, none takes more than 2 months to get the best gear available.

But the mistake with that is that GW2 isnt about the best gear available. It never has been. Its as logical as saying DoTA/HoTS/LoL is all about the gear grind.

The endgame in GW2 is WvW and sPvP. PvE is a sidequest.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Grinding for skins is optional. As has been stated many times before there is no grind in this game for stats in order to be competitive, or valued in PvE. If you feel that levelling from 1-80 is a grind, then your definition of grind is completely different to mine.

The real reward in Guild Wars, 1 and 2, was and is an aesthetic one. Quite a lot of my friends don’t understand this; they literally cannot get their minds around why someone would not want to grind for years for stats, only to find out that those stats are made obsolete by subsequent expansions. Shallow players crave the power creep and stat grind that other MMOs offer them.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

no sense of progress

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Grinding is repeating an action over an over again for an extrinsic reward (such as better gear or better looks or prestige).

Repeating an action over an over again for the intrinsic reward of the action itself is something else entirely.

I agree with this. In this case it’s a question of motivation: If you’re playing simply to get a reward at the end then anything you do is probably going to feel like grinding, whether you’re doing the same thing over and over or lots of different things. Whereas if you’re playing because you enjoy what you’re doing then it won’t feel like grinding even if you’re doing the same thing repeatedly.

Although I do also agree that in general grinding usually refers to repeating a small set of actions in the same location – for example doing a champion train where you’re killing the same enemies in the same order or doing circuits around Silverwastes opening chests. Most conventional examples – which are along the lines of standing at a spawn point killing the same enemy or few enemies over and over – aren’t actually possible or practical in GW2. But in any game if you’re moving to different areas, completing a variety of different activities then that’s not grinding, although it may feel like it if you’re only interested in obtaining enough of some currency or token to get a reward.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

no sense of progress

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

I want to share this.

“What Makes A Good Game – Progression” By dayrinni
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/11/what-makes-a-good-game-progression/

“For my second post, I’d like to talk about about Progression in games. Before I get into that, I would like to take a moment to thank everyone who read and made some comments on my first post about Immersion. I will be making some replies there shortly. People have different tastes and impressions in games. I really liked reading the replies from people on this!”

“Progression exists in many different forms so I will talk about it generally. It is important because the players can see the reward for their time spent in the game. It can keep people engaged in the game and longevity in games is always a good thing to have”.

Progression

“Progression is having goals and how the player achieves them. What is their purpose(s) in the game? How do they fulfill their purpose(s)? By having good progression, it keeps players involved in the game. People, especially gamers, like to strive towards something. They like to set themselves a goal in a game and then achieve it. Put simply, this can be seen as the “carrot on the end of the stick””

“4X games for example offer several different forms of progression (more on this below): empire expansion, ship design, and technology/research to name a few. To me, one of the greatest joys in playing a space 4X is watching my empire spread out amongst the stars. I love building massive fleets and “incorporating” lesser civilizations into my own. MMORPGs generally have a lot of progression: gear based, skills, encounter based and so on”.

“As mentioned above, most gamers like to improve themselves and do better. They want to gain that next level, or that next technology for their ships. They strive to achieve these goals. It creates an environment that makes the player’s time well spent and encourages them to play longer. The excitement level and desire of getting something keeps them interested”.

“Progression rewards the players. That is why the typical experience and leveling system in MMORPGs hasn’t gone away (TOR is reported to have a very strong and lengthy leveling experience). It is very easy to understand and gives great results. “Hey I gained a level and got some new abilities!””

“You now have something you didn’t before. In 4X games, technology is a great example of this. Researching a new plasma cannon that can be placed on your ships: the excitement level grows with each click that increases the number of plasma cannons. Imagine the damage it will deal to your enemies! Or acquiring shields for the first time and knowing (hoping) that the enemy would not be able to deal with them”.

“Even though the developer may place progression in a game, it does not discount the fact that players make their own progression (sometimes unknowingly). In a 4X game, there could be an instance where a particular planet is “ultra-rich” in ore and it would be vital for the player to acquire that”.

“Perhaps this planet is controlled by an enemy empire with a strong defensive presence. This situation can set off an entire chain of small goals leading up to the eventual attack on the planet. The player just created a small progression system”.

“Next, I would like to provide a humorous real life example. In MoO1/2, I always played as the Psilons. I enjoyed having a large tech edge (plasma cannons, anyone?). I always got very displeased with the Darloks stealing my technology. So, I made it my mission to show them what eXterminate really means in 4X”.

“Other forms such as victory conditions and achievements helps too. The boundaries are really endless and each game can have their own progression and be unique. That is the beauty of games. I want to throw out one warning: do not make the progression overly difficult or time consuming. A fine balance must be done to ensure that the players do not feel the time spent is not worth what is earned (or will be)”.

Example

“As with the previous article, I want to give an example of how I achieved progression. I will again use the MUD for my example (I’ll use my own 4X game when it gets farther along). During character creation, a player could choose one of two skill paths to travel down. Each path had 10 skills”.

“They then could select 7 of the 10 skills and these would be gained in 5 level increments. This was a good system because it allowed the player to set their own goals with gaining skills at certain levels. Then they wanted to use them and so the player had to work to attain them. This created a small progression system that encouraged people to play more”.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

no sense of progress

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

This +100

/So sick of the endless gear treadmill in other mmos so that is why i love guild wars 2 + enough letters to post this

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

no sense of progress

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You, uh, do know that an expansion comes out in about a month, right?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

no sense of progress

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I never liked the work mindlessly in this context, it’s a matter of opinion.

But you are right that we are grinding. The difference is that in gw2 the vast majority of the grind is optional. Here I grind for what I want and not what I need. I’m not saying that it’s better or worst. It depend on each individual. Like trinity or not trinity, there is different player that want different thing and each group should have their game.

I get that some people like you want to progress. They want to work toward the objective of getting their character stronger, more kitten and able to complete more challenging content. And for those people, gw2 feel kind of flat and lacking. For them, GW2 lack a sense of purpose, they feel they are not going anywhere with the game and that they are grinding for nothing.

But then there are people like me. I want to progress my character, but don’t come tell me that the armor I spend several week to craft is obsolete and I need to craft a better one for the next expansion. Don’t tell me that I can’t play with my friend at the latest content because I took a 2 months break and I don’t have all the last gear. That break my sense of progress. To me that’s going anywhere. I don’t feel like i’m progressing, I just feel like doing the same thing over and over. Regaining my gear over and over again. I’ve done my armor already, now I want to do something else. I want to get plenty of minis, I want to gear up alts, I want to get new skins, I want to complete achievement. It feel that everything I do I permanent and every step I take is a progression toward a bigger and more complete account.

Both ways are good, both way are valid, but they each depend on the players. Different games for different gamers.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

no sense of progress

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Horizontal progression means that all the old content doesn’t immediately become trivialized when a new tier of gear is released.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Progress will be handled my masteries when the expansion drops. Guild Wars 1 suffered from the same problem, except some of us considered it a selling point.

Its funny how some people look at that, I personally found GW1 very rewarding, yet I find GW2 very unrewarding, I guess it depends on what way you look at it,

Also telling people the game isn’t for them, its a bad way to progress, if everyone who was told that left the game, sooner or later there friends would follow, and then there friend would follow, they would tell others not to play the game, or even pick it up because its unrewarding,

This is why I will give Anet the benefit of the doubt, and they HAVE to fix this rewards system in HoT, not 3 years after HoT but be on the button as soon as it hits the ground.

no sense of progress

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

From all the things you can complaint about gw2, thats the less meaningful.

I can name 1000 games where you have that sense of progression just to be taken away from you with every expansion launched, or the game is pure shaite, or the mechanics are shaite, or the community is shaite, or its bugged like a sugar cup in a picnic table on a sunday spring afternoon.

I too want that sense of progression but, unless you are willing to go play EvE online, i recommend you to go search that feeling in single player rpgs.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

no sense of progress

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

One must wonder what game you came from previously that had the kind of progression you prefer, and why aren’t you still playing it?

For many of us we got burned out on the gear treadmill and constant vertical progression to the point if you took 3-4months off, you were extremely far behind everyone else.

I personally love the fact that I can actually have a finished max level character. I get him the best gear he can get, the skins I want him to have, and then I can shelve him if I want to and work on a different one without him becoming obsolete. It’s nice knowing that you can take a long break, come back, and still be relevant.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….