no shared exp... why party?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Origin.7480

Origin.7480

So, I started playing about 5 weeks ago, purchased the game about a month ago. I’ve been having fun playing, so last night I suggested my brother, who lives in a different state, download and try it out. We haven’t really gamed together since I quit WoW 5 years ago. Tonight we partied up, and i ran down to where he was at in the starting area, and proceeded to kill mobs, only to realize that he wasn’t getting experience for anything I killed, unless he was able to tag it first. I’m level 80, I don’t really need the experience for killing low level mobs. The whole point was so that we could play the game together, but the way it’s set up, he’s better off if I’m off doing something else while he levels. This makes no sense. There’s no reason to group up together, and if there’s no reason to group up together then there’s no reason for him to buy the game… we might as well be playing different game while hanging out in Teamspeak.

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

What’s so difficult about you letting him tag the mobs before you slaughter them?

Origin.7480

Well, for one, he’s paralyzed from the neck down, and plays the game in his wheelchair, with a mouth stick. It never stopped him from playing games, and even leading raids in WoW, but it does mean that he’s not going to be as quick to tag mobs as I am. This means that instead of each of us tagging and killing our own mobs, as a group, working together, I’ll instead have to stand there, wait for him to tag a mob, and then get my own hit in before it dies… Yeah, I could do that, but it’s senseless. He and I have played numerous games together; WoW, Shadowbane, Arch Age, Aion, SWTOR, among others, and none of them failed to allow us to share experience.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Help him do his Personal Story; he will get the XP, you will get nothing, but the joy of playing with your brother. It only takes an hour or so to get to L10.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Farming mobs is very ineffective way to level anyway. Go around finding events to do. Your brother has to only do some one thing during the whole event to get credit for it, like kill one mob or interact with one object.

But yeah you do not get credit from kills in this game if you do not tag the mobs, that’s just something you have to keep in mind and plan the stuff you do around it.

Events and personal story indeed are the main things to do without tagging stuff.

Origin.7480

I’ll try again… I did an event with my niece standing next to me and she didn’t get any experience. Maybe she didn’t tag anything… hard to say, she’s only 8.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I’ll try again… I did an event with my niece standing next to me and she didn’t get any experience. Maybe she didn’t tag anything… hard to say, she’s only 8.

Yep, have to get credit from at least one kill or interact with one object.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Grouping up in this game is really kind of optional, it doesn’t affect much for open world.

It is of course necessary in order to join instances together, whether Personal Story, Dungeons or Fractals; but for open world it really doesn’t supply more than social aspects – Party (or squad) Chat, Map indicators for party members, and the ability to gather on one map version should you be split up when joining a map.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

I think the lack of shared XP kinda stems from an issue the devs had with the Power Leveling practices from GW1… people would take low levels into high level areas, rush them to spots with large numbers of easy enemies and proceed to kill everything solo and share the XP with the low level party member… it wasn’t uncommon for someone to go from level 1 to 20(GW1 max level) in under an hour like this.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Stick to heart quests early on. Do the personaly story steps every 10 levels. Use tomes from loging in daily to level up. Use cooking to level up.

Early on it can be hard to tag due to lack of skills and things dying very fast to higher level players. This remedies itsself as you progress further on.

Oh and what others said, definately don’t grind mobs. That’s not how the game was designed level wise.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Tonight we partied up, and i ran down to where he was at in the starting area, and proceeded to kill mobs, only to realize that he wasn’t getting experience for anything I killed, unless he was able to tag it first.

Serious question: Why should someone get XP for just standing somewhere without doing anything? XP stands for “Experience Points”, just being in a party might sound like a great experience, but is your character more experienced if you just join one and then leave the computer or watch other people experiencing the game?

I know this concept exists in other games, have power-levelled more than one character myself that way. I love that GW2 has no need for that, because you get a L80 boost with the purchase and you get tomes of knowledge that give a full level, doesn’t matter if it’s from level 5 to 6 or from 79 to 80. A bunch of newbies getting power-levelled without being able to even damage the mobs is as sad a picture as afk-farmers and make a game ugly.

I understand that your brother cannot play like you, but if he was able to play other games and even raids, he should be able to hit a mob once while you fight it. Maybe you need to slow down a bit and not kill a drake with one attack. It’s almost like power-levelling in other games, I mean, you only need to tag a mob and get credit for it, and you don’t even risk becoming colateral damage because you don’t have to go to level 80 areas to power-level from 15 up.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The main reason to play in a party is to make it easier to coordinate – when you change maps it makes it far more likely you’ll end up on the same copy of the map, and if you don’t you can easily switch over, you can see each other on the map, get a private chat channel and you can place markers the other people can see. And of course it’s the only way to enter instances together.

This game was designed to actively discourage grinding enemies for XP so it’s hardly surprising they don’t allow you to power-level by going afk while a high level party member kills things on your behalf.

As other people have said if you want to help your brother or your niece (or anyone else) level up the best thing is to do events together. They will still need to actively participate – at least tag a few enemies or whatever else is required (collect items and give them to the NPC, stand in a circle to defend an area etc.) but they can do just enough to get gold participation while you (and anyone else who happens to be around) completes the event and they’ll get the same XP as if they did it all themselves.

You could also help them play through their personal story – killing enemies works the same way as in the open-world, if they don’t tag them they don’t get any credit – but they’ll get XP from completing the instance even if you actually killed everything.

Also remember there’s no harm in toning down your own attacks to give the other person time to tag them. It may not be as fun but you can just auto-attack and switch targets every few hits until they’re dead. If it gets boring maybe throw in some support skills – you can buff your partner so they can kill things faster and teach them about game mechanics in the process.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What you could do is if you’ve got an open character slot, make a character to level up alongside your brother.

Or you could buy a character slot if you’re out of open slots and don’t want to delete any characters.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

If you have gold to spare them , and they have Laurels to buy the ‘’Item Booster’’ + ‘’Expiriance Booster’’ from the Laurel Vendor
+ they can buy ‘’Lunar new year Fireworks’’ from the Traiding post

then they can get 10-13 lvls from simply crafting 1-400 the Cooking + additional lvls by maxxing each Crafting skill

Follow these guides :
http://gw2crafts.net/cooking_fast.html

Or try to find spec with your Guardian that gives your team8s Retaliation , or with Ele for Fire Shield .
Let the mobs attack them and then kll them . Regadles of their reaction time

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: goodbugs.5409

goodbugs.5409

Another thing you could try is using starter area weapons when you are with him. The damage on those is less and may help lessen your impact on mobs when you hit them; thus giving him a chance to strike/tag a hit on them too.

Posted by: DeadTreeJig.6714

DeadTreeJig.6714

My twin daughters (10) both have 15-20 level characters, the only play for an hour on the weekend. I party up with them to help them out, more as a guide so I will use a matching level character and hold back just a bit so they can level a little faster than me (applies to open world and story).

One of my daughters likes to visit slightly higher levels on occasion so I will use an 80 and hold back completely unless they get into trouble. Someone suggested using low level weapons, I think that’s a good idea and I might try that when I use an 80 with them.

It took them until about level 10 to get accustom to combat and tagging, once they learned to tag multiple mobs they got more exp, more enjoyment and I was able to participate more in the combat. When we do bosses (low level) I have to remind them to tag the boss at least once, then they can take out the minions chasing them around.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world – Paul Gerhardt
Just so we’re clear, I’m a solo player – Kirito
Live, Laugh, Love Kill Dredge – DedTreeJig

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why party?
Well because…

1. You will see your partymembers on the map.
2. You can do dungeons and fractals with you party, without a party it may be a bit tricky.
3. You can go sPvP together.
4. You can chat privately with only your party.
5. You can easily change map instance to your party member.
6. You can do story instances together, either help or se it for the first time together. You can also help out doing achievements together.
7. It is FUN.

Isn’t these reasons enough? In Gw2 experience is pretty much useless as the game begins at level 80 and it is far to easy to level up as it is.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why party?
Well because…

1. You will see your partymembers on the map.
2. You can do dungeons and fractals with you party, without a party it may be a bit tricky.
3. You can go sPvP together.
4. You can chat privately with only your party.
5. You can easily change map instance to your party member.
6. You can do story instances together, either help or se it for the first time together. You can also help out doing achievements together.
7. It is FUN.

Isn’t these reasons enough? In Gw2 experience is pretty much useless as the game begins at level 80 and it is far to easy to level up as it is.

On top of this, partying also prioritizes heals, buffs and condition removal. Your party gets priority over other people in the area.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So, I started playing about 5 weeks ago, purchased the game about a month ago. I’ve been having fun playing, so last night I suggested my brother, who lives in a different state, download and try it out. We haven’t really gamed together since I quit WoW 5 years ago. Tonight we partied up, and i ran down to where he was at in the starting area, and proceeded to kill mobs, only to realize that he wasn’t getting experience for anything I killed, unless he was able to tag it first. I’m level 80, I don’t really need the experience for killing low level mobs. The whole point was so that we could play the game together, but the way it’s set up, he’s better off if I’m off doing something else while he levels. This makes no sense. There’s no reason to group up together, and if there’s no reason to group up together then there’s no reason for him to buy the game… we might as well be playing different game while hanging out in Teamspeak.

I understand where you are coming from. When I started the game I had the same issue. Me and my friends would run around doing hearts and because I am not as quick as them they would always be waiting for me to finish. That hasn’t changed (they’re still quicker than me) but I guess we just got used to it.

One thing you could try is having him play a class or weapon that has good AoE tagging like Guardian/staff or Warrior/longbow.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Yes… how dare you have to sacrifice a bit of pacing to let your brother have fun with you? You’re letting him play with you, after all, isn’t that enough?