no squads and parties at the same time?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Who thought THAT would be a good idea? People tag up all the time to organize big events like Teq. Now we can not join a party (like a defense) whild doing so?

I tried forming a defense squad at teq tonight. We lost functionality over if we were just in a party.

Seriously? Did nobody pay attention when we were saying it was a major flaw to not allow people to be in both?

At least give us the ability to show a tag while in a party. All we need it for while in a party is for organization (the def party is over here) so it would be an ok compromise.

Posted by: Wibbles.3726

Wibbles.3726

Honest question, what functionality is lost being in a squad vs a party? From my very brief experience with the new squad UI I feel being in both a party and squad would only complicate the UI and chat since (I could be wrong here) /party chat now talks only to your sub group.

Menadena.7482

For one, we only have a list of names of who is there as opposed to the party interface.

There is the larger problem of if other people have formed a party before I arrived, should I ask them to leave their party and reform around me? In additional to a logistical nightmare it comes across as a bit egotistical.

All I need is a tag. I could care less about squads and supplies when it is PVE and you only plan on having 5 people in the party/squad.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s what sub squads are for.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They announced this in Guild Chat last week. No surprise here.

Posted by: Wibbles.3726

Wibbles.3726

I agree with the first point being able to see the full panel as opposed to the simplified panel for small squads/sub groups would be nice.

If you invite an existing party I believe the entire party would get an invite to the squad so they wouldn’t need to disband and rejoin. Again could be wrong, only my 2nd day having the tag.

I also don’t see too much of a need having a tag for a small group of 5 as that group can see you location on the minimap. If you need to show your location to the rest of the map but only want X number of players you can go invite only after you reach the number of players you want but you do lose the full party UI.

Again, just personal opinions and Thanks for the response friend!

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I think the specific problem you describe with Teq is easily managed using the current squad functions. If you don’t like it, why not have a separate party just for S Hills or whatever? That’s how we did it before and it got done just fine.

Menadena.7482

Parties often make sense if you are not doing wvw. The problem is often people use tags for organization. In Teq you have people in parties, yes, but a couple people are tagged up as well to handle logistics. Anet managed to take away functionality by making parties and squads incompatible.

There is a really obvious answer. Just let someone with a tag put up the tag rather than start a squad every time.